SPOILERS! [Crown Tundra!] List of Movepool Changes

Who thought giving Rayquaza Cosmic Power was a good idea
Define "good idea". If you mean "is a move that the Pokemon would logically learn", then I think it's fine. Rayquaza has always had a loose connection with space: it lives high up in the Earth's atmosphere, eats meteors, and classically butts heads with Deoxys. If you mean "is a move that is balanced and healthy for the metagame", then it's also fine, because Cosmic Power is a terrible move on pretty much anything that lacks Stored Power and recovery, and even then it has stiff competition with Calm Mind.

Either way you slice it, there's nothing wrong with giving Rayquaza access to Cosmic Power.

Uhm, did Heatran lose Earth Power?

It's not on the pastebin or Serebii list, but Earth Power is TR67. And in last gens at least, and pretty positive this gen as well, if a Pokemon learned a move via level-up (which Heatran does at at lvl 73) it can also learn it via TM/HM. So is this a bug or are we getting some more ret-conned movelists?
To be fair, this datamine contains temporary information that is subject to change once the Pokémon are actually added to the game. Removing compatibility with a move wouldn't be unprecedented though, for example Melmetal can only learn Earthquake in LGPE.

To be fair, this datamine contains temporary information that is subject to change once the Pokémon are actually added to the game. Removing compatibility with a move wouldn't be unprecedented though, for example Melmetal can only learn Earthquake in LGPE.
But the difference is that LGPE is more of a side game, whereas Heatran had Earth Power and Dragon Pulse since Gen 4 from TM and Tutor. I hope it's just a temporary thing

Melmetal lacking Earthquake is still a little odd, though.

Something that does cross my mind however with Game Freak now taking huge advantage of updates is if we might see changes to Pokémon already in the game that don't have anything to do with any more additions? I won't go too far into baseless speculation nor wishlisting, but certain omissions here does make me wonder if the next update might give Melmetal access to Earthquake, or increase Pikachu's special attack or something.

Melmetal lacking Earthquake is still a little odd, though.

Something that does cross my mind however with Game Freak now taking huge advantage of updates is if we might see changes to Pokémon already in the game that don't have anything to do with any more additions? I won't go too far into baseless speculation nor wishlisting, but certain omissions here does make me wonder if the next update might give Melmetal access to Earthquake, or increase Pikachu's special attack or something.
I hope so, purely so they fix the absolutely baffling decision to not give Zamazenta Body Press.

Something that I noticed yesterday, all pokémon who can learn Protect in the Home TM/TR list also learn Endure.. except for the Slowpoke line.

Which is unusual, since they have been able to learn it as TM/Move Tutor in the past.

This is true for Slowpoke and Galarian Slowpoke currently in SwSh as well, I guess this was an oversight when GF added them in version 1.1.0.

I predict Magnezone's going to be at its lowest point this generation.

The loss of Hidden Power Fire (and no Weather Ball, either :c ) is a pretty serious blow to Magnezone since it lost one of its most important anti-Ferrothorn weapons, meaning for the first time ever, Ferrothorn will have a positive matchup against Magnezone. Corviknight having access to U-turn, unlike Skarmory which was forced to run Shed Shell, is also pretty annoying for Magnezone especially if Dugtrio is still not banned by the time Mag comes out.

Magnezone did gain access to Body Press this gen, however, and if it wants to beat Ferrothorn, it'll need to run Iron Defense + Defensive investment, possibly even Substitute to dodge Leech Seed. However, that's potentially three move slots taken up just to cobble together some kind of countermeasure to Ferrothorn, and it's going to miss out on Flash Cannon to hit Fairies and Grounds, and Volt Switch for momentum.

I predict Magnezone's going to be at its lowest point this generation.

The loss of Hidden Power Fire (and no Weather Ball, either :c ) is a pretty serious blow to Magnezone since it lost one of its most important anti-Ferrothorn weapons, meaning for the first time ever, Ferrothorn will have a positive matchup against Magnezone. Corviknight having access to U-turn, unlike Skarmory which was forced to run Shed Shell, is also pretty annoying for Magnezone especially if Dugtrio is still not banned by the time Mag comes out.

Magnezone did gain access to Body Press this gen, however, and if it wants to beat Ferrothorn, it'll need to run Iron Defense + Defensive investment, possibly even Substitute to dodge Leech Seed. However, that's potentially three move slots taken up just to cobble together some kind of countermeasure to Ferrothorn, and it's going to miss out on Flash Cannon to hit Fairies and Grounds, and Volt Switch for momentum.
Well, Magnezone still 4HKOes with an uninvested Body Press (and 5HKOes a max Defense Ferrothorn) so with Sub it's much more annoying (due to Iron Barbs), but still a positive matchup as long as Ferrothorn does not have a Shed Shell.

So apparently they got absolutely nothing, and all other Starters got new moves.
And isn’t it odd Galar gave us a Bipedal Water/Dragon, a Quadrupedal Steel/Dragon, and a floating Ghost/Dragon.
Really makes you think.
Someone commented earlier with a theory that not all of the Pokemon, such as the Sinnoh and Kalos starters, got new TR moves because GF haven't gotten to them like they have with the Pokemon being included in the upcoming DLC.

Stakataka learns Body Press, making it the strongest user of said move.
Actually, Kommo-o still has the strongest Body Press.
252+ Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 70-82 (20.5 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
(70, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 80, 81, 82)
252+ Def Kommo-o Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Possible damage amounts: (70, 71, 72, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 78, 79, 80, 81, 81, 83)
Remember kids, don’t underestimate how important math is.

Actually, Kommo-o still has the strongest Body Press.
252+ Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 70-82 (20.5 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
(70, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 80, 81, 82)
252+ Def Kommo-o Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Possible damage amounts: (70, 71, 72, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 78, 79, 80, 81, 81, 83)
Remember kids, don’t underestimate how important math is.
It's worth noting that Stakataka does actually have a stronger uninvested Body Press, with a difference greater than the one or two extra points of damage Kommo-o has when invested.

0 Def Stakataka Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 178-210 (50.5 - 59.6%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Possible damage amounts: (178, 180, 182, 184, 186, 188, 190, 192, 194, 196, 198, 200, 202, 204, 206, 210)

0 Def Kommo-o Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 168-198 (47.7 - 56.2%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Possible damage amounts: (168, 168, 170, 174, 174, 176, 180, 180, 182, 186, 186, 188, 192, 192, 194, 198)

So apparently they got absolutely nothing, and all other Starters got new moves.
And isn’t it odd Galar gave us a Bipedal Water/Dragon, a Quadrupedal Steel/Dragon, and a floating Ghost/Dragon.
Really makes you think.
The Gen V-VI starters are not really celebrating getting Endure (a move that is as available as Protect and Substitute) or Swift (which not all of them got anyway).

Hopefully they and other overlooked pokémon will get new TM/TR options in an update to Home.

Wait... what's happening with Mega Evolution???
Nothing, as far as we know. Just hopeful.

Really makes you think.
Only the gen 2 and 3 starters (and 1 and 7) actually gained anything. Gen 4's are about as lucky as 5 and 6's here; and it's likely we'll see those three sets added after DLC.

Wait... what's happening with Mega Evolution???
while I wouldnt be surprised if they comw back to a main line eventually (the pmd remake has it at least), I dont think they're going to come back soon. Nothing in the datamine really points to it at this point, at least.

while I wouldnt be surprised if they comw back to a main line eventually (the pmd remake has it at least), I dont think they're going to come back soon. Nothing in the datamine really points to it at this point, at least.
My prediction from the start is that Mega evolution will return foe the Sinnoh Remakes, giving us a meta with mega evolution and a meta with dynamax. They experimented a LOT last gen using lets go as their lab rat for future ideas, and i think having 2 completely different metaganes was a big one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)