Little Cup Analysis Rewrite

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Little Cup Analysis Rewrite (DP)

A bit redundant with the other thread I know, but I really think that the guide needs a complete rewrite. It's horrendously out of date and inaccurate.

[INTRODUCTION]
<p>Little Cup was spawned in Pokemon Stadium 2. The idea was that you bred to achieve the perfect baby Pokemon to battle. It was later reintroduced for Advance, and now Little Cup is back for the 4th Generation.</p>

<p>The most important things that should be known about Little Cup is that it is all about Speed. The metagame is filled with fast Pokemon and revenge killers. However, defensive play isn't entirely dead. Just don't expect stuff like Gligar and Munchlax to last nearly as long as Gliscor and Blissey.</p>

[RULES]
<p>Here is a summary of the current ruleset in Little Cup:</p>
<ul>
<li>Pokémon that are allowed in Little Cup must have hatched from an egg, be able to evolve, and be the earliest possible evolution stage.
<li>Pokémon used must be at Level 5.
<li>OHKO moves, as well as Sonicboom and Dragon Rage, are not allowed.
<li>The Evasion Clause, The Self-KO Clause and Sleep Clause are in effect by default.
</ul>

[LC UBERS]
<p>The following Pokémon have proven themselves to be too strong for Little Cup:</p>

<p><b>Scyther:</b> - Scyther is a powerhouse in Little Cup. With Technician Quick Attack, the highest Speed in Little Cup, Technician STAB Aerial Ace, and Swords Dance, Scyther's ban is a no-brainer.</p>

<p><b>Sneasel:</b> - Sneasel is in a similar boat to Scyther, but instead of Technician Quick Attack there's STAB Ice Shard. Pursuit is a deadly move on any Little Cup Pokémon, and from Sneasel's ridiculous Speed stat there's really no stopping it.</p>

<p><b>Yanma:</b> - Yanma is insanely good. With Hypnosis to shut down one of the few things that counter it, an insane trait that made it hard to revenge kill, and great STAB Special Attacks in Air Slash and Bug Buzz, Yanma was too much for Little Cup to handle.</p>

<p><b>Meditite:</b> - Meditite had no possible counter. Choice Scarf Hi Jump Kick would 2HKO everything in Little Cup, even things that resisted it, and Ghosts hate taking Psycho Cuts. Bronzor is OHKO'd, and Gligar is the only thing resembling a "counter". Too bad Meditite got Ice Punch for him. Meditite's huge Attack stat is nigh unstoppable.</p>

<p><b>Tangela:</b> - Tangela is a lot like Yanma, but more powerful: More accurate Sleep move, more Defense and Special Attack, and more powerful Special Attacks combined with Sunny Day. The only possible counter was a Choice Scarfed Psyduck, and it got to the point where people started to run Timid Tangela solely to outspeed other Modest Tangela. </p>

[STAPLE POKÉMON]
<p>Here are a few examples of some of the most common Pokémon you'll find in Little Cup. Tiering for Little Cup isn't based on reliable usage data yet, so those are a bit sketchy right now.</p>

<p><b>Bronzor</b> - Bronzor is arguably THE best defensive Pokémon in Little Cup. With great defenses, setting up Trick Room, Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Reflect, or Stealth Rock is pretty easy. He's still slow enough to use Gyro Ball effectively, but due to his genderlessness he can't use Hypnosis like Bronzong. That barely matters though, as Bronzor is still a great Pokémon that counters dozens of threats.</p>

<p><b>Munchlax</b> - An absolute MONSTER in Little Cup. Base 125 HP and 85 Special Defense are unheard of; throw in Thick Fat and you have a Little Cup wall on par with Blissey. That 85 Attack stat also isn't going to waste at all, as he can even take a Choice Specs Abra Hidden Power Fighting and OHKO right back with Pursuit. That 5 Speed stat is also perfect for Trick Room.</p>

<p><b>Chinchou</b> - Resistances are incredibly important in Little Cup, and that's what Chinchou has. Resisting Thunderbolt and Ice Beam as well as the occasional Fire, Flying, or Water attack, Chinchou makes a great alternative to Munchlax. Unlike Munchlax, Chinchou also has some good team support options such as Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray. </p>

<p><b>Gligar</b> - Gligar is basically the physical equivalent of Munchlax; he's almost a complete full-stop to physical threats, provided that they don't have Water or Ice moves. His ridiculous support movepool includes Knock Off, Stealth Rock, Agility, Swords Dance, and Baton Pass, plus he can even sweep himself with a good 85 Speed and decent Attack.

<p><b>Misdreavus</b> - Possibly Little Cup's best Special Sweeper, Misdreavus's STAB Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fighting, and Calm Mind work together with Base 85 Special Attack and Speed to make a scary sweeper that even makes Munchlax think twice, especially with Will-o-wisp on her side. Sometimes runs Thunderbolt to mess up Murkrow. Speaking of wihch...</p>

<p><b>Murkrow</b> - You might notice a recurring theme in that UU / NU Pokémon that later evolved turn into great Little Cup sweepers. Murkrow is no exception. With 85 Attack and 91 Speed, Murkrow is often seen toting the most powerful priority move in LC OU (STAB Sucker Punch), as well as Pursuit for some fun mind games. Pluck messes up all the Oran Berry users everywhere too. You basically need Gligar or Bronzor to flat-out wall it or some nice prediction to revenge kill it.</p>

(I'll expand this even more later. Keyword: Later.)

(Sorry, I have to come back to this. Gots to go, and I'm on a public computer.)

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Looks good so far, you should put an explanation of why the Item Clause is not used (and explain why a 6 Sash or 6 Oran team is doomed to fail against a decent player).

Also I think that this guide (a single Guide to LC) is to be what Smogon should use, its like saying here is a guide to the whole of OU, there are too many different aspects. What I think would be more useful would be if this guide was changes to be more of a guide to the major differences between LC and OU, and how to adjust to them. The long list of sets currently up is totally redundant to our full Analysis of the LC Pokemon, so is not needed in the new version. The same kinda goes for the WIP threat lists and your list of Staple Pokemon (bar Krow they are all quite defensive, can you add some more offensive ones to better reflect the offensive nature of LC?), but as they are not finished yet it has some use.

Also I TOTALY agree with this statement "It's horrendously out of date and inaccurate." If you search the list of usable Pokemon you will see that around 10 that are allowed (including Wynaut, Gligar, ect) are simply missing, not in the banned list just missing.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was thinking with the "guide" format that I'd do a threat list / how to play sort of thing. Hopefully some time in the very distant future will have actual LC Pokémon analyses on Smogon, but for now the whole "threat list + items to use + how it's different" makes sense to me.

I'm not done with the Threat list, but I was mostly going off of my Usage list from the LC RMT forum.

er how are we going to determine the Clamperl situation? I know I made that a while ago but was there a verdict? Was Clamperl banned? I never see them at all anymore. Or is it just DeepSeaTooth that was banned?

Whatever the case be sure to make notice of it. If Clamperl was decided not to be banned (I think Chris took over for me while I was away) sorry.

Yeah, at the time of writing all that information was generally accepted as the standard. However, people have been more thoroughly researching Little Cup and new lists and strategies have been formed. If you need any help, just ask.

Diglett is still a threat.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
er how are we going to determine the Clamperl situation? I know I made that a while ago but was there a verdict? Was Clamperl banned? I never see them at all anymore. Or is it just DeepSeaTooth that was banned?

Whatever the case be sure to make notice of it. If Clamperl was decided not to be banned (I think Chris took over for me while I was away) sorry.
http://s1.zetaboards.com/The_Little_Cup_Forum/topic/392265/4/

I think the verdict was Deepseatooth was banned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)