Little Cup Mega Evolutions! [Eviolite Boost Removed ; Meditite Banned]

My initial thoughts:
1.) If eviolite-style bonus exists at 50%, larvitar can get some definite use, since it's newfound rock/dark typing combined with 50/70/60 defenses, buffed by eviolite-equivalent *and* sandstorm on the special side will make it quite bulky. Unfortunately, it will be checked by mega Rilou and Meditite. It can also support teammates like Drilbur quite well by punching holes in the opponent's side with dragon dance or just bulking around and keeping rocks on the field. Q: can larvitar learn pursuit? That would allow it to become the single best pursuit trapper in the game nearly instantly. Especially with M-Ghastly running around, that could be extremely useful.

2.) Meditite seems a possible candidate for the old ubers basket (I know it was fourth gen, and I think maybe fifth gen too). A decent 75 speed stat combined with the equivalent of over 150 base attack after evs seems a bit too much. I mean, seriously, it's got a 10 point higher attack stat than azumarill.. If that wasn't enough, it's got both fake out and bullet punch for priority, the second able to hit mega-ghastly to keep from being trapped. Oh, and it's got lovely coverage options and an ungodly powerful hi jump kick, which can probably OHKO every non ghost in the game.

3.) I think Magikarp should get quiver dance and that's it. Just to troll people because it gets no special attacks anyway.

4.) Ghastly seems like it will be popular: 120 special attack, 90 speed, and shadow tag. With the eviolite boost, it should be able to tank most weak priority and hit back for the KO, essentially allowing you to take out certain checks and counters for your team. Possibly another candidate for the ubers basket.

5. I'm intrigued by Mega Charmander X. Good speed and attack + dragon dance + tough claws? Yes please. Unfortunately it'll have to deal with priority abusers, Mega-Shuppet's thunder waves, and sandstorm.

Speaking of sandstorm (specifically Larvitar) goodbye M-Charmander Y. You're going to be hard countered by Larvitar-Mega, who summons sandstorms and easily tanks every attack you have to offer. You might be able to try to run Hidden Power Fighting, but nonstabbed it probably still won't KO, especially against (60 base + evs and nature) * 2.25 (eviolite and sandstorm) special defense.

6. Mega Ralts. Oh, you are too funny.

7. Mega Shuppet should see some use thanks to prankster + 100 base attack. Unfortunately, even with the eviolite boost, it's defenses kind of suck.

BASICALLY:
My top pick would be meditite; it's ungodly powerful and with the eviolite boost, even packs some bulk. It's got priority, coverage, and STABs both reliable (drain punch) and risky but ungodly powerful (HI JUMP KICK). Use it before it gets banned. I mean, seriously, this thing could be running upwards of 30 attack in LC unboosted.

Next Ghastly and Larvitar stand out, both as team support options *and* good pokemon to use.

Additionally, I think it's going to be key to use the megas to avoid knock off, due to the strong presence of eviolite, so Larvitar seems an even better idea because of that.

This was longer than I intended.

I've also been looking at Meditite, let's just see how this metagame plays out before just outright banning it, I mean, Honedge counters it to hell and back, along with Feltchling (Check). I think it is suspect to being banned, but let's see how it does.

I can see Mega-Gastly being OP. It's essentially an LC Gengar, with eviolite and shadow tag. Although it's checked by Mega-Abra.

Last edited:
I've also been looking at Meditite, let's just see how this metagame plays out before just outright banning it, I mean, Honedge counters it to hell and back, along with Feltchling (Check). I think it is suspect to being banned, but let's see how it does.
All meditite calcs done with 196 Atk / 196 Spe, Jolly.

Honege doesn't really counter; fire punch from megatite deals 58.3% - 75% to 236 HP/196 Def Eviolite Impish Honedge.

Fletchling provides one check (there are a few), taking only 5-6 damage from bullet punch and having 11 HP after 1 switch into stealth rock (assuming defensively uninvested, w/o eviolite). However, it's worth noting that Meditite can come in to revenge fletchling [EVEN WITHOUT ROCK DAMAGE], or beats it 1v1 when led against it (Fake Out + Bullet Punch is always a guaranteed KO, and Meditite (75 base speed) outspeeds Fletchling (62 base), making it's +1 priority attacks outspeed Fletchling's of the same priority). Note that meditite loses to eviolite variants (or any with defensive investment).

The best check is undoubtedly mega ghastly who only takes 46% to bullet punch and OHKOs back with Shadow Ball. Phys Defensive Eviolite Duskull should also make an okay counter (can't be 2HKOd), and so should Yamask (who also has Mummy to halve meditites damage output. Additionally, things like Nosepass and Onix can run protect to deal with Mega-Meditite, causing it to lose half its health to HJK recoil, since Megatite can't damage Onix or Nosepass significantly otherwise.

All meditite calcs done with 196 Atk / 196 Spe, Jolly.

Honege doesn't really counter; fire punch from megatite deals 58.3% - 75% to 236 HP/196 Def Eviolite Impish Honedge.

Fletchling provides one check (there are a few), taking only 5-6 damage from bullet punch and having 11 HP after 1 switch into stealth rock (assuming defensively uninvested, w/o eviolite). However, it's worth noting that Meditite can come in to revenge fletchling [EVEN WITHOUT ROCK DAMAGE], or beats it 1v1 when led against it (Fake Out + Bullet Punch is always a guaranteed KO, and Meditite (75 base speed) outspeeds Fletchling (62 base), making it's +1 priority attacks outspeed Fletchling's of the same priority). Note that meditite loses to eviolite variants (or any with defensive investment).

The best check is undoubtedly mega ghastly who only takes 46% to bullet punch and OHKOs back with Shadow Ball. Phys Defensive Eviolite Duskull should also make an okay counter (can't be 2HKOd), and so should Yamask (who also has Mummy to halve meditites damage output. Additionally, things like Nosepass and Onix can run protect to deal with Mega-Meditite, causing it to lose half its health to HJK recoil, since Megatite can't damage Onix or Nosepass significantly otherwise.
All points true, but Meditie normally runs Bullet Punch / Fake Out / Drain Punch / Ice Punch, making Honedge a counter still. Yamask, I hadn't considered, but it seems promising!

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is a very nice idea, I just wanted to comment that, should you get a mod ready, the sprites will be messy.

This is a very nice idea, I just wanted to comment that, should you get a mod ready, the sprites will be messy.
Thank you! I'm thinking we just keep the regular sprites but enforce the -Mega add on, so not to confuse players. But besides, it will say "________ Mega Evolved into Mega __________!" So players will know.

Let's talk about Ralts-Mega, it seems to actually be fairly bulky and powerful with that amazing Hyper Voice, thoughts?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
DAT 28/25/45 BULK (yeah it gets killed by priority, not so spectacular SpA/Speed either, not worth using tbh)

Last edited:

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Mege LC Pokémon should be given an Eviolite effect just because they would miss them. Mega-Alakazam misses Sash and Mega-Scizor misses CB, that doesn't mean they get the boost from them anyway.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
OiawesomeDG , not rushing or anything, just wondering the progress on this being implemented?
OH SHIT I FORGOT THIS WAS A THING. Sorry man, I take all responsibility, but I'm letting you know the reason why the progress was halted was for good reason: I know have a custom client, which means when this gets implemented, I can have the megas in the teambuilder and such! I'll explain the entire thing to you once I get it implemented over at my serv.

This also means once finish implementing/downloading all 718 sprites out of PS repository I can start accepting custom sprites for the megas, so look out for that, progress will begin later, because no date is a secure one when it comes to me lol...yeah and stuffs, sorry about the delay once again

This meta looks pretty cool, but I don't think you should've just given the same stat raises that the real mega gets, even if you halved the raise. You probably should have ignored the 50 BST raise for some mons, such as Magikarp (go higher, come on), Gastly, and Meditite (too much of a raise). The way I think you should've done it is slightly hard to explain, so just let me know if it doesn't make sense.

The way I see it, in OU, base 100 stats are "average." It's good, but it can be a LOT better, and usually you need a good typing / movepool / etc to succeed with stats just around that benchmark. I see the LC equivalent of that being around base 60. Usually if a stat hits that benchmark or is higher than it, it is considered good (although higher is preferred). Now let's look at how mega-Gengar and mega-gastly compare to this benchmark. Mega-Gengar is 70 points higher than the OU benchmark, whereas mega-Gastly is 60 points higher, double that of the benchmark. This is absurd. Just keep it at the original base stat.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is how the mega evolution changes the pokemon. For instance, Medicham starts off as a strong, slow, and really frail wall breaker, and turns into a really strong, reasonably fast, and still quite a frail wallbreaker. The big thing here is the increase in speed. Meditite goes from a strong, kinda fast, kinda frail mon into a fast, really strong, and pretty bulky mon. I don't think this is right, and as it stands, Meditite is nearly broken in regular LC (Gligar getting banned will make it broken). I would make the new mega spread 30 / 50 / 50 / 40 / 50 / 70. This should make it more balanced, and the big thing here is the enhance in speed. I am ignoring the fact it is bulky with Eviolite since I don't think you should have that with their mega stones. I'll get to that further in my post.

Some of the pokemon have really poor stats in relation to the meta, and in relation to how their evos compare to the OU meta. Ralts is one in particular. With your spread it has poor physical stats and HP, average SAtk, meh SDef, and eh Speed. Mega-Gardevoir has poor physical stats and HP, amazing SAtk, great SDef, and good speed. That really doesn't match up at all. This is due in part to Ralts' already bad stats, but the mega evolution's purpose is to highly improve a pokemon. Try something similar to 28 / 35 / 35 / 95 / 65 / 60. The SAtk may seem really high, and it may look a little broken, but stuff that has stats like that (Gligar, Yanma, Tangela) have great stats all around, not just in one spot.

Magikarp, oh god Magikarp.... Why did you even bother with this one Just make the new stats comparable to how Mega Gyarados performs in OU. Something like 20 / 85 / 60 / 20 / 65 / 70. This gives it good attack, nice bulk, and nice speed. I dropped the speed since Gyarados isn't that fast, and 80 is quite fast for lc. Also give it Crunch (or bite if you feel it should have that instead), Stone Edge, and Taunt. These are moves that are generally staples on regular / mega Gyarados. That should be enough to make Mega-Magikarp viable.

This part is huge. Please, please, please get rid of the Eviolite boost from mega stones. This makes things that do get nicely improved bulk from their lc megas have even more bulk than their fully evolved counterpart would (i.e. Meditite and Gastly). On megas that are meant to be much bulkier than their normal forme, just raise the bulk so that it would be comparable to their Eviolite boosted bulk with your current spreads. Otherwise you'd have stuff like Meditite actually taking a +2 Shadow Ball from Missy and koing with Zen Headbutt, something it can't even do with it's normal forme.

All that being said, basically what you need to do is put some time and care into these mega evolutions to make sure that they are viable and not broken, and impact them similarly to how their evolved formes are impacted. Please don't just disregard this post. I may be new to the forums, but when I speak up and say something, it's usually something important and worth listening to. And if you find you don't have the time to go through and fix all the mega evolutions (not ALL of them need to be fixed, Riolu, Snover, Shuppet, Houndour, and Charmander X look fine to me), I can go ahead and do it for you. In fact, I would like to collaborate on them sometime.

tl;dr: just read it

I'm thinking about making it 25%, if that's cool with everyone? I won't remove it, sorry, but is 25% reasonable? And I read that Kavatika and while your points make sense, some things would be biased, which isn't fair at all and Magikarp just has to deal with it honestly. And no, it isn't average, all of them do bar Mega Alakazam, who has 90, but Mega Abra only has 45 so.

I wouldn't recommend having a flat BST boost for all LC mons, just have whatever is needed to make the Pokemon viable without making it broken. And I wouldn't really call any of that bias, it's again, just doing what's needed to make the pokemon viable.

And by an average stat, I meant a minimum benchmark that a stat should reach or be higher than in order to be truly effective. This means that a wall would generally want it's HP and one or both of it's defenses to be higher than 100 (for OU) or 60 (for LC), whereas an offensive pokemon usually wants one or both of it's attacking stats to be higher than 100 or 60 (for OU and lc respectively) and it's speed to be at or above that benchmark.

Expulso

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you should remove the Eviolite boost.

You should have to choose between a Mega Stone, Eviolite, or a Life Orb (or other items), not just have the Mega Stone be your automatic item. For example, Scizor and Mega Scizor function differently in OU, but are equally viable.

Yeah I would totally get rid of the Eviolite boost, even at 25%. The automatic item should not be the mega-stone.
and while your points make sense, some things would be biased, which isn't fair at all and Magikarp just has to deal with it honestly.
Then get rid of it's Mega, because right now it's completely pointless and even more of a cruel joke.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
This meta looks pretty cool, but I don't think you should've just given the same stat raises that the real mega gets, even if you halved the raise. You probably should have ignored the 50 BST raise for some mons, such as Magikarp (go higher, come on), Gastly, and Meditite (too much of a raise). The way I think you should've done it is slightly hard to explain, so just let me know if it doesn't make sense.

The way I see it, in OU, base 100 stats are "average." It's good, but it can be a LOT better, and usually you need a good typing / movepool / etc to succeed with stats just around that benchmark. I see the LC equivalent of that being around base 60. Usually if a stat hits that benchmark or is higher than it, it is considered good (although higher is preferred). Now let's look at how mega-Gengar and mega-gastly compare to this benchmark. Mega-Gengar is 70 points higher than the OU benchmark, whereas mega-Gastly is 60 points higher, double that of the benchmark. This is absurd. Just keep it at the original base stat.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is how the mega evolution changes the pokemon. For instance, Medicham starts off as a strong, slow, and really frail wall breaker, and turns into a really strong, reasonably fast, and still quite a frail wallbreaker. The big thing here is the increase in speed. Meditite goes from a strong, kinda fast, kinda frail mon into a fast, really strong, and pretty bulky mon. I don't think this is right, and as it stands, Meditite is nearly broken in regular LC (Gligar getting banned will make it broken). I would make the new mega spread 30 / 50 / 50 / 40 / 50 / 70. This should make it more balanced, and the big thing here is the enhance in speed. I am ignoring the fact it is bulky with Eviolite since I don't think you should have that with their mega stones. I'll get to that further in my post.

Some of the pokemon have really poor stats in relation to the meta, and in relation to how their evos compare to the OU meta. Ralts is one in particular. With your spread it has poor physical stats and HP, average SAtk, meh SDef, and eh Speed. Mega-Gardevoir has poor physical stats and HP, amazing SAtk, great SDef, and good speed. That really doesn't match up at all. This is due in part to Ralts' already bad stats, but the mega evolution's purpose is to highly improve a pokemon. Try something similar to 28 / 35 / 35 / 95 / 65 / 60. The SAtk may seem really high, and it may look a little broken, but stuff that has stats like that (Gligar, Yanma, Tangela) have great stats all around, not just in one spot.

Magikarp, oh god Magikarp.... Why did you even bother with this one Just make the new stats comparable to how Mega Gyarados performs in OU. Something like 20 / 85 / 60 / 20 / 65 / 70. This gives it good attack, nice bulk, and nice speed. I dropped the speed since Gyarados isn't that fast, and 80 is quite fast for lc. Also give it Crunch (or bite if you feel it should have that instead), Stone Edge, and Taunt. These are moves that are generally staples on regular / mega Gyarados. That should be enough to make Mega-Magikarp viable.

This part is huge. Please, please, please get rid of the Eviolite boost from mega stones. This makes things that do get nicely improved bulk from their lc megas have even more bulk than their fully evolved counterpart would (i.e. Meditite and Gastly). On megas that are meant to be much bulkier than their normal forme, just raise the bulk so that it would be comparable to their Eviolite boosted bulk with your current spreads. Otherwise you'd have stuff like Meditite actually taking a +2 Shadow Ball from Missy and koing with Zen Headbutt, something it can't even do with it's normal forme.

All that being said, basically what you need to do is put some time and care into these mega evolutions to make sure that they are viable and not broken, and impact them similarly to how their evolved formes are impacted. Please don't just disregard this post. I may be new to the forums, but when I speak up and say something, it's usually something important and worth listening to. And if you find you don't have the time to go through and fix all the mega evolutions (not ALL of them need to be fixed, Riolu, Snover, Shuppet, Houndour, and Charmander X look fine to me), I can go ahead and do it for you. In fact, I would like to collaborate on them sometime.

tl;dr: just read it
The issue with this, is that you are suggesting custom changes to try and make the meta more like standard tiers. That's not the point of an other metagame. The idea of other metas is to introduce a simple, global change, and see how that shapes a meta. The changes you propose would completely defeat the purpose of this, and make it more like a pet mod. On top of this, it would make the meta more confusing for newer players, and this is a pretty confusing concept as it stands. Sure, Mega-Magikarp sucks, but that doesnt mean it should be buffed. If some megas are worse than others, so be it. Thats just how the meta is.

Ok, so a ton of people want the Eviolite boost removed, so, time for another poll.
Get rid of Eviolite boost - Yes / No

Ends on February 7th!

Expulso

Get rid of the Eviolite boost: Yes
I think you should remove the Eviolite boost.

You should have to choose between a Mega Stone, Eviolite, or a Life Orb (or other items), not just have the Mega Stone be your automatic item.
For example, Scizor and Mega Scizor function differently in OU, but are equally viable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)