(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Chestnaught being white is odd. Personality changing isn't an issue though (not to mention a pokemon shouldn't be rigidly 1 personality strictly based on design. Note Oshawott).
I'm not saying the personalities should be rigid, but like, look at this line.

650Chespin.png
651Quilladin.png
652Chesnaught.png

Chespin looks like he saw an old friend and is calling out to them, and Quilladin just looks stoked to be alive. Both of them have huge grins that you can't help but smile back at. You would expect the final evolution to at the very least not look like a huge grouch.

501Oshawott.png
502Dewott.png
503Samurott.png

Oshawott isn't at all comparable in the personality department. Both Dewott and Samurott are ready and determined, while Oshawott looks indifferent. The key distinction (besides the difference in facial expressions being less dramatic) is that Oshawott is the first evolution, while Chesnaught is the last evolution. It makes sense for a baby otter to get serious while training to be a samurai. It doesn't make sense for the world's happiest chipmunk to suddenly become serious once it hits adulthood. Unless, of course, this is a commentary on how war (particularly World War I) can destroy the soul and optimism of enthusiastic young recruits who lied about their age to get enlisted, only to realize that instead of an exciting adventure of fighting bad guys, they've doomed themselves to four grueling years of living in trenches, being ordered to gun down young men just like themselves who they bore no ill will against, and wondering why this war was even worth fighting.

EDIT: Just read Quilladin's Pokedex entries, and it says that it's "very kind and won't start fights." So it's more akin to an unwilling draft. It matters not. War consumes thine spirit all the same. Also, it's worth noting that in Gen 6, Chespin and its evolutions were the only Pokemon to have the newly-added ability Bulletproof, which protects them from bomb attacks. Bullets and bombs. Now why do they sound familiar...

Last edited:
Inverse battles are an interesting case. Apparently you could set your secret base to inverse rules in oras, and there was a special battle spot season in gen 7 that used them, so it's not even like they got completely dropped never to be seen again... albeit in gen 7 they only returned for a time-limited cameo (it doesn't look like the battle rules were downloadable for this season). I'm very curious about how flexibly GF can change online battle rules beyond just mon and move banlists. (still hoping the restricted sparring in the dlc is effectively a kind of battle stadium rotatinf special season type thing).

While I'm not especially pining for inverse battles to return, I do think it might be neat if there were an "inverse room" move that swapped the type xhart for 4-5 turns.
Wait they brought back Inverse Battles in gen 7?
That's both really interesting and kind of shocking. I suppose so far as battle types go, flipping the type chart is a lot easier to adhoc implement than the other rules but they did straight up overwrite its "battle slot" in gen 7 so I wouldn't have ever expected them to do something like that.

And yeah I agree, it's very...interesting as a battle type. A move or ability that recreated the style would be cool, likely as a signature on an otherwise so-so mon (preferably ice type)

How come almost every gen the 2nd evo of at least 1 starter is odd?
Gen 1 we have Wartortle (though we know why)
2 we have Croconaw suddenly being caveman skin for patterns, and Bayleef is yellow vs the other green evos
3 Marshtomp is truly biped vs its other evos, and Combusken is light orange vs the darker orange of the others
6 Braixen is extremely feminized despite the 50/50 chance, and Quiladin is heaven forbid the worst starter evo ever
7 Dartrix is..emo?
8 All honestly have this issue. Thwackey is pretty yellow, Raboot is a ninja..., and Drizzlie is weirdly emo
When I was watching a video about Temtem, apparently a design choice for GF was to have different stages be, in many (but not all) cases, quite distinct from the other forms, to the point of possibly seeming to be unrelated; this contrasts with Temtem, where each evolution is intended to be more of an upgrade. With this in mind, it makes sense for the Pokémon in the middle to stand out, and for starters to embody this core design choice. (That said, I don't know that this is ever actually clear with the starters, especially when the Basic and Stage 2 forms have a lot in common that neither have in common with Stage 1.)

What do you mean by "(though we know why)"? I'd love to be in on this. Also, Wartortle is one of my absolute favourite starter forms. :x I don't get why Blastoise's tail is the exact(?) same as Squirtle's when Wartortle's is so different, though.

Side-note: Braixen has an 87,5% chance of being male. Ditto the Primarina line, by the way. And I personally appreciate that this choice was implemented, even if it was unintended. Ditto Pan/Simi- line and the Eevee line. And let's face it, most people wouldn't think of Machoke or Machamp as being female, but they are 50% of the time! More power to 'em!

When I was watching a video about Temtem, apparently a design choice for GF was to have different stages be, in many (but not all) cases, quite distinct from the other forms, to the point of possibly seeming to be unrelated; this contrasts with Temtem, where each evolution is intended to be more of an upgrade. With this in mind, it makes sense for the Pokémon in the middle to stand out, and for starters to embody this core design choice. (That said, I don't know that this is ever actually clear with the starters, especially when the Basic and Stage 2 forms have a lot in common that neither have in common with Stage 1.)
Generally this is for starters, for some reason. Like it was a very purposeful design decision that Dewott goes from bipedal otter to sea lion and it was for the shock factor. Like they mentioned as such in interviews for gen 5
Or at least some starters. Incineroar probably falls into the same boat as Samurott, as would Chesnaught. Others, like Serperior, Primarina or even Greninja I think flow pretty well from one stage to the next (personally I find Frogadier a bigger leap from Froakie than it makes to Greninja).
What do you mean by "(though we know why)"? I'd love to be in on this. Also, Wartortle is one of my absolute favourite starter forms. :x I don't get why Blastoise's tail is the exact(?) same as Squirtle's when Wartortle's is so different, though.
From prototype asset leaks we now know that the squirtle line was (1) added much later in development and (2) originally had a separate third stage that followed on Wartortle's design traits (fluffy tail, ears).

This guy.

There is also another remnant that people think might have been Blastoise's would-be, also added later on during development, pre-evolution but it's very hard to tell. It's a small sprite, backsprite only and I don't think we have evolution data or anything of the sort.

That reminds of how weird Wartortle is. Not its design, but its lore. Squirtle is just a water-spitting turtle, and Blastoise has powerful water cannons. Both are pretty obvious just by looking at them, and both are standard fare for a first and last evolution. Wartortle is practically immortal. Not only is that completely unrelated to the other two, but it's indicative of a final evolution, not a middle evolution.

The weirdest part is that as far as the games were concerned, this wasn't originally the case. Its gen 1 entries describe it doing mostly turtle-like things like swimming fast and retracting its head into its shell, with a bit of flair through using its ears as rudders and using its apparently fluffy tail to trap air like a spider. It isn't until gen 2 that its Pokedex entries get flooded with mentions of it and its tail being "symbols of longevity". Gen 3 adds the detail of its tail getting darker with age, and then gen 4 casually claims that Wartortle can live up to 10,000 years.

I get that it was probably based on a mythological turtle who was old as fuck and had seaweed growing on it, and its likely that this immortality lore would have been given to that cut evolution, but it's still weird that they would retcon this lore onto Wartortle even though it makes no goddamn sense for it to be immortal. Does anyone know what its Japanese Pokedex entries were in gen 1? Maybe it was always immortal, but it was just never mentioned in the English versions. It would still be weird, but it would be less weird than adding those details in later.

Since we're on the topic of starters, a minor bother of mine is that the middle starters from Alola have different color schemes than their first and last stages. Rowlet/Decidueye, Litten/Incineroar, and Popplio/Primarina all have comparable color schemes, but Dartrix, Torracat, and Brionne all shift off those hues for some reason. It's also kind of the case with Sobble/Inteleon and Drizzle. Scorbunny's line is pretty consistent with the colors overall (not a fan of the line itself however), and Grookey's line kinda changes colors with each evolution. I think Rillaboom's colors fit better with Grookey than Thwackey's colors do, though.

A lot of people have been talking about how Pokemon's battle system feels archaic, as in it hasn't changed from the early days and still feels that way. I didn't understand what that meant at first, but after playing Battle Stadium Doubles, I finally understands what that complaint is.

I've been using Beat Up Whimsicott + Weakness Policy/Weak Armor Cursola for a while now, and to initiate the strategy to max potential you have to watch Beat Up 4 times, with one Weakness Policy activate as well as Weak Armor for activating for every hit. It gets really tedious to the point while I look at my cell phone while It goes on. It’s not just that either. Things like Pokémon being damaged weather has there own separate messages, and it really starts to feel so old and outdated. Other RPGs either have the damage applied immediately one after another or have the animations entertaining to watch so you are absorbed in the game. Pokémon doesn’t do either. Would it be really that hard to fix it? Like have all multi hit moves be immediate? Or have all weather damage be one message?

This especially notable with the timer system in SwSh. You your opponent get a separate timer, that counts down when you select moves. However, it’s not like a chess timer where once you select moves your timer stops, no it still counts down when the animations play, so the longer the animations the less time you have, so you can effectively stall out the timer using longer animated moves. It’s largely unnoticed because stall is not viable in the official formats, but if your are trying to play 6 v 6 on cart, there’s good chance you will win/lose because of the timer.

Side-note: Braixen has an 87,5% chance of being male. Ditto the Primarina line, by the way. And I personally appreciate that this choice was implemented, even if it was unintended. Ditto Pan/Simi- line and the Eevee line. And let's face it, most people wouldn't think of Machoke or Machamp as being female, but they are 50% of the time! More power to 'em!
Ahh, that would explain certain lines, such as Galarian Corsola and Dreepy. Galarian Corsola has Solid bulk on both sides, but Cursola trades its defense for Sp. Atk and Sp. Def. As for Dreepy, you have Dreepy as the base Dreepy, Drakloak for big sibling to Dreepy, and then Dragapault who fires Dreepy as weapons. Each has a clearly distinct role.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
This especially notable with the timer system in SwSh. You your opponent get a separate timer, that counts down when you select moves. However, it’s not like a chess timer where once you select moves your timer stops, no it still counts down when the animations play, so the longer the animations the less time you have, so you can effectively stall out the timer using longer animated moves. It’s largely unnoticed because stall is not viable in the official formats, but if your are trying to play 6 v 6 on cart, there’s good chance you will win/lose because of the timer.
i think it's already been posted here, but there's a video where the guy manages to make turn 1 last the whole length of the timer.

How can it be that there was a discussion on bad second-stage starters and yet no one mentioned the bland and forgettable dex fodder that is Prinplup?

Oh wait, maybe I just answered my own question.

Seriously, I don't know how this thing doesn't make lists of "ten worst Pokemon" on a regular basis. Prinplup is by far and away the dullest of all second-stage starter evolutions. There's actually remarkably little to say about it. Lots of starters go from being cute and small to being slightly more aggressive or combative when they evolve for the first time (Ivysaur, Charmeleon, Bayleef, Torracat), or at least develop a new type or technique that indicates their eventual direction as their final stage (Monferno, Grotle, Pignite, Marshtomp, Braixen). Prinplup doesn't deviate an inch from its predecessor. It's haughty and rude as a Piplup, and it's haughty and rude as a Prinplup. I don't much like Drizzile or Inteleon, but at least there's a defined change in their design and temperament from Sobble. Prinplup adds nothing to the line. Even the name is lazy. Piplup could evolve straight into Empoleon and I don't think anyone would miss it.

It could have been saved with interesting Pokedex entries, but no - instead it gets generic text that could do double-duty for any number of other Pokemon:

Pearl: Its wings deliver wicked blows that snap even the thickest of trees. It searches for prey in icy seas.

Diamond: It lives alone, away from others. Apparently, every one of them believes it is the most important.

Ahh, that would explain certain lines, such as Galarian Corsola and Dreepy. Galarian Corsola has Solid bulk on both sides, but Cursola trades its defense for Sp. Atk and Sp. Def. As for Dreepy, you have Dreepy as the base Dreepy, Drakloak for big sibling to Dreepy, and then Dragapault who fires Dreepy as weapons. Each has a clearly distinct role.
I don't think that's exactly the point of the "each Pokémon being distinct OR a natural progression" dichotomy; Galarian Corsola evolving into Cursola and the Dreepy line's evolutionary stages all seem pretty solidly related from a design standpoint (you are correct about Cursola's stats going in an entirely different direction from its predecessor's, though), and natural progressions of their original concepts. I think the idea of evolutionary lines seeming distinct is more along the lines of Bergmite into Avalugg, Trumbeak into Toucannon (I'm aware woodpeckers and toucans are fairly closely related, but that's not common knowledge), or Snorunt into either of its evolutions. These Pokémon all are conceptually related but the Pokémon themselves have fairly clear design differences.

The series has had both kinds of evolutions since the very beginning, so it doesn't phase me to see both design choices used, though i do agree that it has gotten a little more common to have apparently unrelated Pokémon be stuck in the same evolutionary line than in the past.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
7: The flaming tiger that totally isn't a Fire Fighting. The excuse "but he's more expressive" is butt. Every other Pokemon can be expressive without being too humanoid or toony. And it just comes off as generic cuz >Fire Fighter Dark biped body
It’s based on a heel (i.e. “bad guy”) wrestler. That’s what the expressive mannerisms are about. Fighting would work too, but the Evil type makes perfect sense.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wartortle: Now knowing Blastoise wasn't the original final evo but rather a completely different Pokemon which took the place of a more bigger turtle-like kappa Wartortle, it's hard to see the family the same way I once did. Before I just assumed they wanted to give Wartortle its own identity from Blastoise like the other Starters had to their final evos, though I guess that could be one of the reasons why they combined the families together. I do like Blastoise more than the more kappa-like Wartortle, though it does make Wartortle a bit of a sore thumb and in restrospect not that great of a transitional stage. Would like for them to explain why it loses the longevity fur and where the cannons came from, like does it offer up longevity in exchange for a mutation that'll give it greater power?

Croconaw: Now the Johto Mid Stage Starters aren't all that odd (though Chikorita's almost was). However there is one thing about Croconaw I never got: why does it body pattern change to resemble an animal-skin cloth that caveman stereotypical wear? The family has nothing to do with caveman or anything prehistoric (aside crocodiles being a very old species that haven't changed much for millions of years), Totodile and Feraligatr lacking the pattern. And all its dex entries are about its biting prowess. Also the animal-skin clothes were often based on big jungle cats, rarely crocodiles.

Combusken: Yes, yes, it's a c*ck that looks like a c*ck, HA HA HA. Juvenile humor aside, you can SORTA see how certain elements of Combusken can transition to Blaziken, but there's still certain questions that doesn't make it as obvious as its fellow Hoenn Starters. For me it's mainly the legs, it goes from bald to covered in a long pants-like down. And while I can see how the top part of it becomes Blaziken's crest, the beak/face transformation is a bit of a jump.

Prinplup: As greentyphlosion has noted, the problem with Prinplup is that it doesn't stand out enough from Piplup nor really help with its transition to Empoleon. Sure it started with the crest (though it doesn't look like anything, let alone a trident) though Empoleon's most notable feature, it's steel wings, have no hint of being developed aside Dex descriptions saying Prinplup's wings can cut through tree branches. I think they should have added some epaulette looking decorations to its shoulders. Not only would they eventually hint toward Empoleon's steel wings, but Napoleon Bonaparte which the Piplup family takes inspiration is often painted wearing epaulettes.

Pignite: It's not that Pignite is a bad transitional Pokemon, its actually pretty good at that, this time its Pignite being an evolution of Tepig. Tepig is a pretty simple Pokemon, it's a piglet. And then when it evolves it suddenly becomes bipedal, gains a lot of weight, and becomes a (mud) wrestler with fancy golden overall buckles. It went from simple animal inspiration to multiple complex concept inspirations. Now it's not that bad but still a sudden shift that could catch you off guard if you weren't expecting it.

Quilladin: I think the problem with Quilladin are the eyes. I just did a quick Paint where I colored in the white of the eyes with the color of its skin and it looked SO much better. I know its round armor caught a lot of people off guard when they first saw the stock art but when it's moving it doesn't look that awkward. It's just the eyes. And I get why the eyes are like that, to transition into Chesnaught which has whites around its eyes, but Chesnaught's face also completely changes shape while Quilladin still has Chespin's face which was made to have beady eyes.

Brionne: Poor Brionne, I remember many's complaint about it: "It's just a Popplio in a tutu". And we weren't wrong, but also aren't completely right as there's other new details like the white bubbles on the ears, white tail markings, and eyes looked more feminine. It looking more feminine overall was the important transitional detail, though it's also still a leap away from Primarina so a little more Primarina and less Popplio aspects might have helped it (and make Primarina not so much a major change).

Thwackey: The onsie should have been made into a hooded shirt. Thwackey looks like an awkward Grookey and in no way transitions into Rillaboom.

Drizzile: Now I like Drizzile just because it's so blatant an "angsty teen" Pokemon. Sure the Sobble family don't really transition between stages that well, but at the same time you could create a small narrative: starts as a shy child that easily gets upset, it then becomes an angsty teen that wants to be left alone. No doubt teased, it swears that while everyone else lives out their lives pushing papers it's going to become an international spy. And so it did.

Raboot is a ninja...
*Sigh* From Bulbapedia:
It also has design elements that may be based on trainer outfits worn by athletes, such as tracksuits.

Here's a little thing: while Blue taking over as Giovanni's replacement is cool and he's a worthy fight, it's annoying how Gen 2 has no Ground representation, period. Every other type gets repped as an Elite Four member or gym leader, except Ground. It's odd.
Well they did add Giovanni back in HGSS for one battle at least... if you had a Celebi...

Though this isn't the only time where they had an odd exclusion of a Type:

BW2: For the Pokemon World Tournament they had tournaments for each Type. Now each Gym Leader and Champions who specialized in a specific Type participated in the Tournament for that Type giving all but one Type having at least one Gym Leader. The excluded Type? Dark, which instead had all NPCs. It's one reason why them excluding the Elite Four feels kind of odd as they then could have added some Dark-type experts.

Gen VII: To show off the Z-Move mechanic they pretty much had a Type specialist for each Type... except for Ice. Well, they sort of do, Sina expertise is in Ice-types but if you played Moon/Ultra Moon she doesn't use the Ice-type Z-Move when you battle her (she only does so in Sun/Ultra Sun when you battle her in the Battle Tree). And they could have so easily made Lillie the Ice-type specialist, but for some reason they made her another Fairy-type specialist even though we already had one in Mina! Or they could have just made a random Ice-type trainer like they did with Dragon via Ryuki.

I shall restate
How come Pokemon height/length/wingspan isn't specified?
People think Furret is huge when it's just 6 feet head to tail, not 6 head to feet

I shall restate
People think Furret is huge when it's just 6 feet head to tail, not 6 head to feet
And even with "Height" itself it's very ambiguous. Say, Samurott, which is known to be able to stand on two legs. Is its "height" measured from head to front legs when on all fours, or head to back legs when standing on two?

I shall restate
Seriously it is such a pet peeve. No Falinks is not a set of 6 nine feet tall orbs.

And even with "Height" itself it's very ambiguous. Say, Samurott, which is known to be able to stand on two legs. Is its "height" measured from head to front legs when on all fours, or head to back legs when standing on two?
My rule of thumb is if they're not a notably long looking pokemon, height refers to their most reasonable, default pose. Samurott can stand on 2 legs, but the height represents its typical 4-legged posture.

Purrloin's weird since after gen 5 it is always shown as standing on 2 legs, but the height I'm pretty sure refers to its initial sitting posture. It's abotu the same size as Glameow, but if that was its "standing" height that would make the thing incredibly tiny when sitting.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Seriously it is such a pet peeve. No Falinks is not a set of 6 nine feet tall orbs.
Its size should at least be listed as 12 feet, as 12 is the number of feet it has, after all. Also, by this point, not including an option for converting the Pokédex numbers to Metric is just archaic. Then again, I fully blame the translation team, as the games are made in Metric, where there is no need for an Imperial conversion.

[Purrloin is] abotu the same size as Glameow
Purrloin is about the same Pokémon as Glameow. I really can't tell them apart sometimes. I think the reason why Purrloin was changed to stand on two feet is to make it a little more distinct from Glameow, which was also a two-stage cat holding approximately the same pose. The fact that Purrloin doesn't evolve into Purugly doesn't help either.

On the topic of starters, by the way, I actually really dislike how their designs nowadays tend to include a pre-defined, set, and unchangeable personality. Every single Sobble will be a crybaby, every single Scorbunny will be energetic and happy, every single Thwackey will be a sourpuss, etc. No matter what their Natures are, they will follow the same character arc. Your Sobble will be a crybaby turning emo turning agent, your friend's Sobble will be a crybaby turning emo turning agent, if you breed it (or decide to replay the game for some weird reason), your second Sobble will also be a crybaby turning emo turning agent. The Pokémon is so set in its role that it loses any trace of individuality. It's railroaded into the same story arc every time. What is the point of Natures and EVs and IVs (intended to make sure no two Pokémon of the same species will play the same) if every instance of the Pokémon will effectively behave the same? Your Incineroar will be a taunting braggart, your neighbour's Incineroar will be a taunting braggart, every Incineroar ever will be like that.

I guess that is the downside of having 3D models and expressive animations. The animations need to express something, and that generally means one behaviour per Pokémon. With static sprites, you could imagine your starter as playful, or more serious, or brave, or whatever based on its Nature, but with animated models, there's only one personality being expressed every single time - unless the designers were willing to put in more work than would ever be reasonable.

It's funny how Oshawott was meant to be serious, but the anime was like NOPE
Honestly what they did for Sobble was a trick to make it seem cute, because most as seen online ignored its other chameleon attributes. And it worked
Fan art almost always depicts it as a crying mess, or needing to be comforted by something else.
The ironic thing? Dorkly of all people didn't depict it as such. And I can't think off of my head anyone else that did
Pokemon starters personalities aren't ambiguous anymore after Gen 5, and like you said, it's not unique in the long run
It's similar to how Cubone is lauded for having a dead mother because of 1 incident, even though it's only 1 instance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)