Little things you like about Pokémon

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I don't think I've talked about the music in non-MSG Pokemon yet but after a very long day in the office yesterday where I listened to a lot of music to help me through a very long and tedious string of tasks, I'm gonna.

So here's a bunch of my favourite tracks from the anime and movies.

The original, iconic classic - it's just such a banger. It's got such an enduring appeal, likely because it's just such an enduring, optimistic track. I'm not of an age where I watched cartoons or children's shows in the 80s or early 90s so I can't say for sure but I suspect the popularity and quality of Pokemon's theme tune was partly what spurred so many other shows to go so hard on their own theme tunes. The sheer amount of compilation videos of 90s/00s cartoon theme tunes attests to this: it was a high point for kid's TV.

One of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard. Even today, it stirs a whole host of emotions in me. It's dramatic, melodic, soaring, and sad. Frankly, it still brings me to the verge of tears. It's a song that legitimately inspires me. And all the more surprising is that it's not the Japanese original!

Lugia's song again. I've always loved this moment; they did not need to go so hard on the guitar riff, but I love that they did.

Not my favourite but an enduringly iconic one I remember from years back and find myself humming every so often. It's just so joyous and full of optimism, and sums up the Johto region perfectly: it is indeed a whole new place, with a brand new attitude. It's so distinct from Kanto; wild and unknown and full of mystery - and, of course, interesting and mysterious new Pokemon.

Another inspiring and blood-pumping song. I love this as one of the trailer tracks for Pokemon the Movie 2000, but also as a full-length song on its own. Early Pokemon has such a disco vibe to it (indeed, as a British child I can confirm that they often did in fact play the Jason Paige Pokemon theme at school discos) and this is an exemplar.

Genuinely such a fantastic song, both as a season theme song and in its own right. The opening sequence that accompanies this is fantastic and fits it so well, but the full-length version of the song is so satisfying. It's the perfect tune for Ash as he was in the Advanced Battle anime - more assured, more skillful, ready to take on elite trainers. And it's another inspiring song that features another joyous guitar riff.

Possibly the best season theme song ever. I've always loved Walk Off The Earth (I saw them live a few years ago and it was an incredible show) so them doing a Pokemon theme is the best thing ever. The full-length song, with its accompanying music video, encapsulates Journeys' vibe so brilliantly; it makes it seem fun and dazzling and epic and expansive all in one fell swoop, and puts a great emphasis on Ash and Goh's friendship.

Last edited:
I don't think I've talked about the music in non-MSG Pokemon yet but after a very long day in the office yesterday where I listened to a lot of music to help me through a very long and tedious string of tasks, I'm gonna.

So here's a bunch of my favourite tracks from the anime and movies.

The original, iconic classic - it's just such a banger. It's got such an enduring appeal, likely because it's just such an enduring, optimistic track. I'm not of an age where I watched cartoons or children's shows in the 80s or early 90s so I can't say for sure but I suspect the popularity and quality of Pokemon's theme tune was partly what spurred so many other shows to go so hard on their own theme tunes. The sheer amount of compilation videos of 90s/00s cartoon theme tunes attests to this: it was a high point for kid's TV.

One of the most hauntingly beautiful songs I've ever heard. Even today, it stirs a whole host of emotions in me. It's dramatic, melodic, soaring, and sad. Frankly, it still brings me to the verge of tears. It's a song that legitimately inspires me. And all the more surprising is that it's not the Japanese original!

Lugia's song again. I've always loved this moment; they did not need to go so hard on the guitar riff, but I love that they did.

Not my favourite but an enduringly iconic one I remember from years back and find myself humming every so often. It's just so joyous and full of optimism, and sums up the Johto region perfectly: it is indeed a whole new place, with a brand new attitude. It's so distinct from Kanto; wild and unknown and full of mystery - and, of course, interesting and mysterious new Pokemon.

Another inspiring and blood-pumping song. I love this as one of the trailer tracks for Pokemon the Movie 2000, but also as a full-length song on its own. Early Pokemon has such a disco vibe to it (indeed, as a British child I can confirm that they often did in fact play the Jason Paige Pokemon theme at school discos) and this is an exemplar.

Genuinely such a fantastic song, both as a season theme song and in its own right. The opening sequence that accompanies this is fantastic and fits it so well, but the full-length version of the song is so satisfying. It's the perfect tune for Ash as he was in the Advanced Battle anime - more assured, more skillful, ready to take on elite trainers. And it's another inspiring song that features another joyous guitar riff.

Possibly the best season theme song ever. I've always loved Walk Off The Earth (I saw them live a few years ago and it was an incredible show) so them doing a Pokemon theme is the best thing ever. The full-length song, with its accompanying music video, encapsulates Journeys' vibe so brilliantly; it makes it seem fun and dazzling and epic and expansive all in one fell swoop, and puts a great emphasis on Ash and Goh's friendship.
On the topic of non-MSG banger themes, can't help but point this one out:

A certified classic for us 8-bit old heads. Unironically one of the better boss themes I've heard in any game.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Still dumb how LA didn't have non-hisui forms available for anyone other than Sneasel, who needed to be there out of contractual obligation thanks to Weavile beinga gen 4 Pokemon, and Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales because i dunno. Popularity, I suppose.
Oh, there's actually a very cool reason I recently discovered as to why both Vulpixes are in PLA!

So for context, for a while now several Japanese districts have had special Pokemon mascots for tourism and such. Hokkaido is one involved in this thing, and as it turns out their mascot, or rather mascots are the duo of Vulpix and Alolan Vulpix! This isn't a one-off either, it's been a persistent thing since at least 2019 and they even got their own airliner in 2021.

Oh, there's actually a very cool reason I recently discovered as to why both Vulpixes are in PLA!

So for context, for a while now several Japanese districts have had special Pokemon mascots for tourism and such. Hokkaido is one involved in this thing, and as it turns out their mascot, or rather mascots are the duo of Vulpix and Alolan Vulpix! This isn't a one-off either, it's been a persistent thing since at least 2019 and they even got their own airliner in 2021.
Well at least the fox got lucky, if nothing else

The shedinja discussion elsewhere reminded me: I actually like Greta's teams in the Battle Arena. The Arena gives off the impression of only valuing attacking power, and then the Frontier Brain shows up with brightpowder confuse ray shedinja in a format where you can't switch. I aspire to ruin the Arena as much as Greta does.

Alder's team in the PWT is very cute

He keeps his Volcarona ace, and he keeps the Braviary & Conkeldurr he picked up in BW2 proper...but the Conkeldurr acts as a bridge for the new 3 Pokemon he put on the team: Krookodile, Chandelure and Reuniclus
aka: he specifically carries Pokemon associated with his Elite 4. Shame he didn't bring in the 4 aces (just Shauntal's) but I think it's still definitely meant as a reference to them. It's fun; the other Champion PWT members if they got replacements just grab assorted Pokemon to fit their theming (Steven picked up a Archeops to keep with his subtheme of ancient stuff/rocks) or type (Wallace, Lance). Though Wallace grabs 3 pokemon from his region (2 do overlap with Sidney & Glacia, but likely just by coincidence) + Starmie (which is, also, a hoenn dex pokemon I suppose).

I know another one of these; Geodude is the mascot of the Iwate Prefecture because Iwate means "rock hand(s)." Conveniently, that's basically all Geodude is.

The costume's legs are in a checkerboard pattern meant to evoke the "transparent background" appearance in Photoshop.

I can't remember the exact line, but I really like the dialogue after you finally hand over the Devon Goods in RSE/ORAS and talk to the researcher you saved in Petalburg Woods for the last time just outside Rustboro, where he says something to the effect of "Why, if I were a raincloud I'd shower you with gratitude and hail you as a hero!"

It's just neat writing and really solidifies his character as being a lot more expressive and emotional than the average rescued NPC who's just like "Thank you for driving away those goons!" or whatever.

Also explain why Paras is apex predator in Hisui while not being in modern Sinnoh dex.

I'm surprised more alternate versions of mons don't play into the Shiny color scheme. Galaran Birds did and that was fun, but they're basically the only ones.
If you mean "the shiny alternate form references the normal colors of the normal form" that happens with quite a few regionals, not just the Birds.

If you mean "alternate form reference the shiny colors of the normal form" then the Galarian Birds dont do that?
Shiny Articuno is snowy light blue. Galarian Articuno is purple
Shiny Zapdos is.....slightly....darker yellow. Galarian Zapdos is brown-orange.
Shiny Moltres is pink (the flames unchanged). Galarian Moltres is black.

At a stretch MAYBE i can see how "darker yellow" lands on "orange" and i guess??? G-Moltres' fire looks a little pink (but really more of a deep red) but even then its like...ehhhhh there's so much different I don't think it's quite what people would mean by this. In contrast Charizard-X and Shiny Charizard technically have different shades of black, but the black color scheme does feel like purposely calling towards the Shiny.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
View attachment 458494View attachment 458495View attachment 458496View attachment 458497View attachment 458498View attachment 458499
The Typhlosion line originally had a violet color palette for its shiny colors before switching to a more rust orange/red brown look.
View attachment 458500
The violet color palette would return for Hisuian Typlosion due to its Ghost typing.
I love Typhlosion (who saw THAT one coming?) but god shiny Typhlosion in Gen III is one of the ugliest sprites ever

The colour palette gets very slightly darker in Gen IV onwards and this is a mild improvement, but overall Gen II's is far better. It's not a great shiny in general though, I'd prefer for the dark fur portion to change colour more noticeably, like a deeper blue

or, hear me out... green

While I'm on the topic (and considering the thread) one thing I DO like about Typhlosion is when sprites show it to be light on its feet. The Gold sprite where it looks like it's hopping is just adorable, and I love that HGSS gave it a new entry animation where it's bouncing around. More of its sprites should do that, it's one of those Pokemon that's prone to looking quite stiff in the 3D handhelds.

1665761810327.png

Last edited:
Also explain why Paras is apex predator in Hisui while not being in modern Sinnoh dex.
It got exterminated by Sinnohans. Probably with Brave Birds and Flamethrowers.
I can't remember the exact line, but I really like the dialogue after you finally hand over the Devon Goods in RSE/ORAS and talk to the researcher you saved in Petalburg Woods for the last time just outside Rustboro, where he says something to the effect of "Why, if I were a raincloud I'd shower you with gratitude and hail you as a hero!"
Is the researcher a Team Aqua Scientist?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The Johto games at least mention that the mother keeps busy with keeping the place clean and making food etc. But I replayed ORAS lately and it did strike me that the Hoenn mom has literally nothing to do but wait around for Norman not to be at work.
Well, I think it can be assumed by default all the moms are running the household. And at least the Hoenn mom unpacked the moving boxes (as well as BW2 mom and Kalos mom), Alola mom. :row: Though ORAS mom is probably more worried about her marriage crumbling apart cause Norman is a work-a-holic, forgetting special events and coming home too tired to do anything but watch TV.

Let's not forget that the XY mom is a famous Rhyhorn racer.
Also Alola Mom was a famouse Meowth trainer & Sinnoh Mom was a Coordinator. Infact after giving the mother character some bit of backstory since Gen IV, it was surprising that Galar Mom didn't have anything more to do than running the household. Would have been neat if she participated in a Champion Cup, maybe given you her old League Card as a postgame bonus.

What would your special skill be? And are there any areas of Pokemon expertise left that the manga hasn't yet touched upon for their protagonists?
My Special Skill: Organizer (I make sure my team is optimal in both battling capability (Type diversity, Category diversity, Move coverage, holding Item, Useable Ability) and for achieving secondary tasks as filling out the Dex (like having at least one Pokemon to evolve it or an Egg to hatch). Speaking of dex, when I enter a new location with wild Pokemon I try to catch all the species there before moving on. I also keep my Pokemon Boxes organized by Dex # so I generally know where that Pokemon is, also designating boxes in the back for special purposes. And of course I don't enter a Gym Battle without at least having a Type Advantage plan)

Other Expertise: Honestly it all depends on the game and if there's anything to draw inspiration from. And, when there isn't, they usually have the character's specialty be based on their personal story & goals thus not really reflective of something in the game. So it's hard to say "well the manga didn't have this specialty" because there may not have been a reason to have it. The only specialties you could scrape are ones which they had to skip over because they only have so many characters.

this entire gameplan is incredible, love it.
If you can't win, just make an unwinnable scenario to annoy your opponent into quitting!:blobwizard:
We're here playing Pokemon but this man is already playing 9D chess
No, no, that's just going "can I get Wonder Guard on my other Pokemon to force a forfeit". It's hardly an unbeatable plan, wouldn't surprise me if they had to do a few attempts.

Now THIS is 9D Chess:

It's actually a gimmicky at best mechanic.
Well of course all these sill strategies are gimmicky, no way you'd see these over-complicated strategies outside of messing around in casual PvP as it sometimes takes a few tries to work and battling with the tried and true strategies is easier & faster (which is especially notable when GF refuses to lengthen PvP timers).
people have been clowning on the bird since gen 3

distinct, vivid memories of how it was uncool and barely a dragon (derogatory)
They're just mad they got swept by Winona.

Both pieces of official Sugimori art, it's Dream World art (or whatever we're calling it nowadays), its in-game sprites (full and mini), and its Gen 6+ model all show it with two lines dividing its tooth-masked mouth. Sounds to me like it's intended to have 3 giant buck teeth. :mehowth:
I made an entire post going over Crobat's teeth situation as well as including some of my own alternative interpretations.

Ash came up with the funniest tech imaginable to counter dragapult

View attachment 459900
View attachment 459901
Dreepy is a ghost, can't it just phase out of Dracovish's mouth?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)