Live Smogcast #2 - May 21, 3 PM EST - Auto-Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
As weather is apparently to be discussed in this cast, here are a couple of questions I would like to see answered:

Do sand, and especially hail, really deserve to be lumped in with sun and rain as part of the problem?

While rain is generally accepted to be the stronger team style in general, sun is perhaps more powerful in its own weather, and certainly much more reliant on it. Which one has the stronger negative effect on the metagame?

Can't wait for this. Here's my question:

When feraligatr gets sheer force, what tier will it rise to, and how viable will it be in OU? If UU, would it be outclassed by Azumarill?

It is a thing that metagames tend to go in cycles. What would you predict the future of the OU metagame as it evolves? (assuming nothing really gets banned, just the evolution of a metagame)

Just wanted to add a second question:

When it comes to Ladder Play vs Tour play, when do you think weather is a bigger problem?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
can we consider the possibility of unbanning previous suspects and subsequent bans that followed when referring to the likes of excadrill, tornadus-t and so on?

due to the fact that bw has only 5 months left until x and y takes over as the new generation, where the main focus is centered around it.

swift swim, blaziken and so forth may seem a stretch too far but it would be fun to play the metagame similar as to what it was like at the beginning of bw, only it closely resembles the dream world tier since releases etc.

thisll be great to watch so i might pop in to see it live.

Do we realistically have time to retest ubers like Thundurus and Tornadus-T if Drizzle is banned? Is this not of concern as we approach gen 6 or should we still attempt to reach the perfect BW metagame.

Edit: Are Taylor ninjaing my posts?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Will Excadrill ever be allowed back into OU if Sand Rush was banned?
I don't know if I'm allowed to answer this, but, in my opinion, Smogon will never ban Sand Rush. Remember that Smogon does not support complex bans. They banned Sand Veil just because it was an overall ability that relied on hax and that could screw the hell out of your opponent with any pokemon that had access to it. However, Sand Rush is not overpowered or something like that. The problem is the pokemon that uses that ability. Excadrill was just wrecking everything, but Sandslash wasn't and is not going to do so.

Excadrill is not doing a lot without Sand Rush in OU. Of course it is good and capable of beating Gengar and Rapid Spin on his face, but without Sand Rush, it is perfectly manageable in OU.

Delete this if it is not allowed to answer like this.

If Stealth Rocks ever gets banned how greatly would it affect 4x weak Stealth Rock pokemon in lower tiers such as Charizard, Yanmega, Etc..?

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
What would think if Fog were reintroduced as a weather (by move or auto-inducer)? Would it be banned under Evasion Clause y/y?

What would you say constitutes the BIGGEST issue that rain brings to the current metagame? For example is it the rain boosted water attacks, the sheer variety of options rain has with respect to team building and covering weaknesses viably, the three 120 power 30% side effect moves or the ease with dealing with other weathers etc.

People often say that sun is much more powerful than rain in its own weather (in the current metagame), do you think this is due to the indirect influence rain has on what constitutes a viable OU mon and thus supresses the options for dealing with sun or is it simply because of the power and speed sun sweepers have?

Would you say it is the automatic weather that is intrinsically broken due to the benefits it brings or do you think GameFreak simply haven't done a good enough job of providing options for dealing with weather? (other than using other weathers)

Do you support the notion that GameFreak potentially introduced "overpowered weather" purposely in order to encourage players to regularly use weather in order to properly prepare balance changes in the next generation? - This is the idea of introducing overpowered strategies to make it popular and have enough data to gauge an idea of how to balance it for the future.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Can't we increase the occurrence of suspect tests ? (and possibly make the reqs faster to get -I didn't say easier-).

Or.

I believe banning weathers (I'm for it); will probably totally shift the metagame, thus, we will have to reconsiderate many other bans. In the end, it means that we would probably need a lot of other suspects, hence my first question.
Your thoughts on it ?

PS : If the issue is the competition, then we could just put a time interval between competition meta and actual meta (if it is that problematic).

People say that rain almost always loses to sun. But then they say that sun would be broken without Drizzle. So which is it? I'm more of an Ubers guy so I'm curious here.

If Arcanine, Heatran, or Darmanitan had Drought, would it be broken?

If all the panelists were in the Hunger Games together, who would win?
More importantly, how many times would LonelyNess be able to say the Hunger Games meta was gay before he died?

People say that rain almost always loses to sun. But then they say that sun would be broken without Drizzle. So which is it? I'm more of an Ubers guy so I'm curious here.

If Arcanine, Heatran, or Darmanitan had Drought, would it be broken?

If all the panelists were in the Hunger Games together, who would win?
More importantly, how many times would LonelyNess be able to say the Hunger Games meta was gay before he died?
Unrelated but if Heatran had drought it would be fucking amazing on uber rain teams.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to kokoloko / reachzero / PKGaming / JabbaTheGriffin for joining me today. I had a really good time with all of you. I will edit this post with the link to the smogcast when it goes up on Youtube, but for now, what did you all think? Better or worse than last week's cast, and what can we do to improve upon the formula?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xKLgBbpe8XA#t=1295s

You can watch the replay here, don't watch the first 21 minutes, it's just a bunch of pre-cast nonsense that doesn't have any talking.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
what reachzero didn't tell you guys was that Malaconda not countering Keldeo was HIS OWN FAULT since he argued strongly that a dark typing was needed to beat the Latis

sneaky, reach, but you can't trick me >:L

About 103.4% percent of all GameFAQs users believe that "smogon is the devil"

How do you respond to these allegations?
viewmaster_pi (gamefaqs dude) said:
Twineedle is actually a pretty good move.
hahahaha

LonelyNess said:
Thanks to kokoloko / reachzero / PKGaming / JabbaTheGriffin for joining me today. I had a really good time with all of you. I will edit this post with the link to the smogcast when it goes up on Youtube, but for now, what did you all think? Better or worse than last week's cast, and what can we do to improve upon the formula?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...bpe8XA#t=1295s

You can watch the replay here, don't watch the first 21 minutes, it's just a bunch of pre-cast nonsense that doesn't have any talking.
I only caught the last half, with the questions (thanks for answering mine, btw). I really enjoyed it. Its really good hearing from some of the better players themselves, instead of reading a crap ton of text. Keep 'em comin'!

I'm not going to point fingers and call names but is it possible for some panelists to stop being huge (BAN ME PLEASE)s? I watch a lot of game shows ranging from starcraft 2 to league of legends and enjoy strategy talk about pokemon as much as any other person but relative to the other shows out there the people on it are five to six (maybe seven) times faggier.

Otherwise good job and I enjoyed the talk about possible suspects and insights given, I notice some of the smogon community's quirks as well (i.e. seemingly being allergic to suspect testing or even getting offended if a certain pokemon is in suspect). I saw a lot of arguments as to why pony is broken but Terrakion was quickly dismissed - multiple times - as a potential suspect, however no reasons were really given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)