SS OU Looking for advice on my OU team :)

Hi all! I've spent a little while working on this team and it has gotten me to 1400 rating so far. However, I feel like it could still with some improvements but have no idea what to change! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

:ss/regieleki:
Regieleki @ Light Clay
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
Reflect
Light Screen
Rapid Spin
Explosion

The general idea with the team is to set up screens in order to provide enough time for your sweepers to power themselves up with stat boosts. I'll rarely lead with this pokemon as Landorus T is so common and I can virtually guarantee that they will send that out first. I'll try to make use of the screens more than once in a game, so will only suicide it with Explosion when either it's health is so low or to get rid of a particularly problematic pokemon. Garchomp being a prime example as it is faster than any of my unboosted pokemon besides Regieleki and can easily sweep after a swords dance. It see's Regieleki as a free set up to swords dance, but Explosion deals a solid 80% of Garchomp's health allowing me to finish it off the following turn. My team isn't particularly vulnerable to hazards but rapid spin is there even if I don't really get a chance to use it. I find there are too many ground types in the tier to risk using Volt Switch.

:ss/dragonite:
Dragonite @ Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: Atk 252 / Spd 4 / Spe 252
Adamant Nature
Dragon Dance
Dual Wingbeat
Earthquake
Extreme Speed

Multiscale combined with screens allows Dragonite to easily power itself up with Dragon dance without much risk. It can even take an ice beam! It is best to set this up as an end game sweeper as there are too many counters to it such as Mandibuzz with foul play or Corvenknight. It is also vulnerable to Burns and Toxic. Extremespeed is there as Dragonite is quite slow outside of Dragon Dance and is perfect for finishing pokemon off such as the Garchomp as described under Regieleki. Earthquake and Duel Wing Beat provide solid coverage to a multitude of threats like Rillaboom and Excadrill.

:ss/volcarona:
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz

Volcarona being the other end game sweeper, using Quiver Dance ideally combined with screens to set up. With the Spd boost, it fulfills this role better than Dragonite as it can get super tanky! It has a very wide movepool allowing it to cover most in the tier, including Hydreigon, Toxapex and Urshafu Rapid Strikes. Sending it out against a physical attacker for the chance of a flame body burn is also really useful! Toxic is always a concern however. I have debated using a Safeguard build but I think it really loses out on it's purpose when I take away it's offensive moves.

:ss/primarina:
Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

This is usually the pokemon I open out with to combat the inevitable Landorus T. They are forced to switch out, and Primarina's special attack is so high it often just deletes the next pokemon that is sent out, including pokemon that would resist such as Bisharp or Kartana. Toxapex is a common switch in, and they rarely expect a psychic. The wide movepool and the fact Primarina is quite rare to see in OU means people never know what to expect. It's a very useful pokemon that covers the weaknesses to the other pokemon in the team, such as Mandabuzz and Moltres.

:ss/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 128 HP / 116 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- High Horsepower
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

The Assault vest allows Melmetal to soak up some super effective hits from common moves such as Flamethrower. Despite not being choiced, it is still a powerhouse, inflicting major damage to common threats such as Landorus T, Clefable and Dragapult. I use High Horsepower as Grassy terrain from Rillaboom is quite common. This is often combined with Heatran, which is usually sent out to combat Melmetal. As High Horsepower does not suffer from the 50% dmg loss like Earthquake does during Grassy terrain, Heatran is easily dealt with.

:ss/ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed

This is the only real tank on the team. Rocky Helmet combined with Iron barbs is the perfect counter to Melmetal and Urshifu rapid strikes. Thunder Wave is extremely useful to slow some pokemon down as my team is rather vulnerable to speedy revenge killers. Ferrathorn's are usually used to set up hazards, but I have found that I don't get enough time to set up spikes, and stealth rocks doesn't feel particularly useful with the frequency of Defog and Heavy Duty boots. Instead, I have given it some attacks to use in conjunction with it's recovery in leech seed.

Blissey and Corvenknight are probably my most hated pokemon as they cover eachothers weaknesses and wall off my attacks whilst scoring chip damage from Rocky Helmet on to my Melmetal. Toxic wears my team down and is the biggest threat to my sweepers. Blissey seems to be quite common in the 1400 bracket and it's appearance usually means I can expect a loss. Is there a way I can implement a counter into my team? Thanks very much for reading! :)

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Hi, I think this team has a decent starting point to it, but the direction that it wants to take is kind of confused. The first 3 mons are very Hyper Offense structured, while the last 3 are fairly balance based. These don't usually mix super well since things like Regieleki is already a fairly bad mon that won't provide much support since Ferrothorn and stuff don't really need screens. I think it'll be easiest to take a balance approach since going full Hyper Offense would need the last 3 mons all changed, so I'll stick to a bulkier approach.

Major Changes:
:primarina: --> :tapu-fini:
As a Water Fairy-type, Tapu Fini just outclasses Primarina. It's a solid OU pick and has more longevity against threats like Hydreigon while maintaining some offensive pressure through the CM Taunt set. I think it's always an upgrade for the same role, so it should fit better overall here. It covers the same things you wanted out of Primarina essentially as well while also just being a generally better and more versatile mon.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Draining Kiss
- Scald

:regieleki: --> :zapdos:
Regieleki really only is good for screens and it's already mediocre at that with Tapu Koko usually being preferred now, so I think switching it out for Defog support and a better Grass Resist is the right call. Zapdos gives the team better switch ins to a ton of things like Kartana, Rillaboom, Hawlucha, etc. which can really come in handy.
Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Defog

Minor Changes:
:dragonite:
Extreme Speed --> Roost
Adamant --> Jolly

On this kind of team and imo every team Roost is the better choice for Dragonite. It provides a ton more longevity while it tries to set up, and lets it actually abuse Multiscale instead of having it be a one and done kind of thing without the healing. It also switches into things like Heatran much better which the team somewhat struggles to do. You can set up on so much more and can actually sweep a larger amount of teams, so I think it's better. Jolly Nature also to outrun Dragapult and Zeraora among other things at +1.

:ferrothorn:
:rocky-helmet: --> :leftovers:
Thunder Wave --> Spikes / Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn really likes the passive recovery of Leftovers, so I think it's just a better fit overall usually. Spikes is arguably a required move on Ferrothorn, only really being interchangeable with Stealth Rock, so I'll slash both. I think it's better at setting Spikes usually but the team lacks Stealth Rock as is, so I'll leave it up to what you feel fits best.

:volcarona:
Bug Buzz --> Roost
Optional EV Spread Change

I think that again because the team is generally a bulky offense/balance type, you want to stick around as long as possible. Bug Buzz really only has a few targets that it doesn't OHKO like Tyranitar, while Roost lets you set up more reliably against things like Clefable and other threats. The optional ev spread is just max HP instead of Special Attack like the strategy dex has, but either work, I'll just leave the optional spread here but use the offensive one in the paste.
Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Flamethrower
- Psychic

Updated RMT (pokepast.es)
Here's the updated team, I hope you like the changes! I gave it a quick test run and the team seemed to work quite well in the game I played, being much more synergistic overall. I tried to keep most of the roles the same with adding a new water fairy and a new hazard control Electric-type so in structure it isn't too different, but I think the changes make it more solid as a team. Nidoking seems like it may be the hardest mu but isn't unplayable, just really difficult, but that's something that would need another mon change to patch up so I think the team is alright as is.

Admittedly Regieleki never really performed the role properly, it was rare to get proper use of screens as I often had to send Ferrathorn out during them and as you say, it doesn't need it. The roosts and bulkiness look like awesome suggestions and I'm definitely going to give it a go! Thanks so much :D

Reactions: Fc
I want to change your team to more offense oriented

1. Change Primarina with Azumarill, you need a strong wallbreaker and priority sweeper
Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum

2. Change Melmetal with Bisharp, another wallbreaker, he's getting benefit for enemy defog thanks to Defiant
Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

3. Change Ferrothorn with Landorus, you don't need stall mon, go all out offense, make it suicide lead
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

4. Change dragonite extreme speed with roost, you already have 2 priority, it needs longetivy to stay in multiscale

- Here's the pokepast update : https://pokepast.es/280c2171239e84e8
- Here's my thread regarding this team : https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/explosion-screen-ho-post-mag-ace-ban.3679123/

I hope this update helpful for you

Thank you! I gave this team a go as well and really enjoyed it. Nice having both variations of my original team and Regieleki is super useful now! Bisharp and Azumaril are amazing picks to combine with screens. Only thing is that find that it is quite vulnerable against burns though with all those physical attackers. Dracopult was a real issue for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)