Looking for some advice for my team

Hi, this is actually my first time trying to do some pvp with pokemon. Played RBY years ago and haven't played any pokemon games ever since, until XY that is.
I tried breeding and battling for the first time in XY and finds it very fun, so I've been trying to make a team to have some funs with friends and maybe try to be a bit more competitive.
Personally, I'm not interested in super sweeping team, as I am more of risk-averse and my impression is with hyper offensive composition, the risk is always higher. I am trying for a more balanced team, leaning more towards stall.
Below is the team I've been using in showdown. The result is not great with slightly below 50-50 win/lose ratio, but some of the losses can be attributed to my inexperience (like switching ferrothorn to fire pokemon or gothitelle to dark pokemon). Obviously, I'm looking to improve my team as I find it a bit lacking in some situation.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 Hp /252 Def / 4Atk
0 Speed IVs
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is my core defensive pokemon at the moment. I am using him as the SR setter and to stall non Fighting, Fire, Ground. Obviously he is also my answer to Fairy type like Florges and Sylveon against whom I can get free turns of SR and maybe leech seed. Gyro Ball is to prevent him from being a taunt-bait and to put offensive pressure on speedier, fragile pokemon not carrying his weaknesses. I also find Ferrothorn very good against Mega Kangaskhan who likes to spam Sucker Punch and Power-Up Punch.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Hp / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Will-o-Wisp
- Recover
- Foul Play

I love Sableye lol. I find him very fun to use and very effective as well.
As of now, he is my spinblocker as well as answer to physical pokemon not fire-type.
He has some synergy with Ferrothorn as well, being immune to fighting moves and not afraid of ground type (I think all ground are physical, correct me if I'm wrong). In fact, so far from my experience, Sableye does well even against most special sweeper not carrying Fairy moves. Probably just bias on my part though.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 Hp / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald

Tentacruel is supposedly my counter to fire type which threatens Sableye and Ferrothorn.
Unfortunately, so far I've been finding him underwhelming. He is not as tanky as I expected him to be, and toxic spikes ... well I rarely use it due to my preference to burn.
His only use so far is as spinner, but even that is hard to do, because I'm finding it hard to find opportunities for him to switch into. Talonflame and Charizard Y rape him, and I can't think of many other common fire so far. Looking for something to replace him.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Modest Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Goodra is my special tank cum bulky special sweeper cum phazer.
In a certain occassion when I have already set SR and switch Goodra into grass moves, he performed very well as a phazer. It is very fun to spam Dragon Tail against non-Fairy and watch them take SR while trying to avoid stuffs Goodra can KO with his coverage.
I'm having a hard time figuring out whether to replace him with special wall with healing and/or status cure. My problem is without Goodra as special sweeper, I am loosing some threat in a team with already very little threat.

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Ice
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot

I'm kinda torn about Gothitelle. My idea with her is to be a counter to ground type pokemon (since none of my pokemon are flying type and like they are kinda weak to ground).
I'm not very sure though whether she is valuable addition to my team as most of the time I think she kinda just sits there. Sometimes she might get a chance to switch and revenge kill, or switch and OHKO Gliscor, but so far yea .. she is something I put as a priority to replace.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 Hp / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Azumarill is my only true sweeper and cleaner at the same time.
My original idea with the team was to build a team around 1 cleaner. So, strategically I will try to wear down opponent a lot with hazard and status effect, then clean them all with a good sweeper.
I feel Azumarill fits the bill perfectly. He hits hard and is not very easy to take down, then given some opportunities to set up, he can mow down the enemy team all by himself.
I'm not sure whether I've played him correctly, but he does have uses in lots of situations, and I don't even have to use Belly Drum all the time.
Should I try to find a more reliable sweeper?

So yeah, looking for some advice to improve my team. Any input will be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

using gothitelle as a revenge killer because of shadow tag is a good idea, but at this stage in my opinion is horribly outclassed by mega gengar

prior to mega evolving gengar is immune to ground, and after evolving can trap and revenge kill threats.

a set I'm fond of using is

gengar/gengarite
252 special attack/252 speed timid
substitute
sludge bomb
shadow ball
focus blast

Oh, that's a good idea to include Mega Gengar.
I just remembered that I have no mega in my team and Mega Gengar should work well.
Does Gengar learn Energy Ball? My concern right now is against ground type, considering none of my team does well against EQ.

About the Sitrus Berry, does the extra 25% Hp help more than extra power from Splash Plate?

Also, still looking for some input on Tentacruel moveset, since I think my setup for him seems not very good. :(

gengar does learn energy ball
I'd replace substitute and just run 4 attacks

tentacruel could do without the spikes maybe since scald and it conflict and your team doesn't stall wall for the poison to be worth it? you could maybe run protect instead

tentacruel isn't a Pokemon I'm too familiar with using :/

I would replace Tentacruel with Wailord because of its bulkiest and one of the best heavy slams. And, it can get scald, with access to water spout, too. The last move would be personal preference. I would go with Rain Dance. Ev train it in its defenses the most, and the leftover with HP. You will get a bulky water type that can pack a huge punch to any fire type.

give azumarill a sitrus berry instead of the plate
Do This
Reason: With the Sitrus berry, azumaril can both recover hp after BD, or recover enough HP after an attack to belly drum.

I would replace Tentacruel with Wailord because of its bulkiest and one of the best heavy slams. And, it can get scald, with access to water spout, too. The last move would be personal preference. I would go with Rain Dance. Ev train it in its defenses the most, and the leftover with HP. You will get a bulky water type that can pack a huge punch to any fire type.
Don't Do This.
Reason: Tentacruel is much, much, better than wailord. Peroid. +, Wailord cant rapid spin.

Edit: Your Tentacruel Moveset Is Fine, But if your not happy, try:
~Toxic Over Sludge Bomb
~Substitute/Protect Over Sludge Bomb
~Ice Beam over T-Spikes

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)