Lopunny (BP Lead)+

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I went ahead and got this approved my Caelum. This is my lead for my Baton Pass team, and it differs alot from the one in the analysis. It is also made for OU mostly, so it isn't *really* affected by the BL/ UU test that's going on right now. If some people feel this is too silimar to the current Flame Orb trick set, then this will replace it. Credits to Caelum for the spread, and tacho for help with the awesome moveset.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Lead
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Agility
move 3: Magic Coat
move 4: Switcheroo / Protect / Substitute
item: Flame Orb
ability: Klutz
nature: Timid
evs: 236 HP / 164 Def / 108 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you want to start off the game Baton Passing Agility boosts while simultaneously dealing with most other leads, Lopunny is the best for the job. This set requires a lot of prediction in order for it to work, but it has a high payoff if it is used correctly.</p>

<p>Magic Coat is a great move on a lead, and Lopunny is no exception. With it, Lopunny can bounce back predicted status attacks back at your opponent, hitting them with their own status condition. This is especially good for a Baton Passer, because it also works to stop the bane of most Baton Passers: Taunt. It also hits Encore, but in order for Magic Coat to successfully reflect an Encore, your opponent would have had to use a move before they attempted to Encore you. Lopunny is also a unique applicant for the Baton Passing role because of Klutz, which grants it virtual immunity to Trick. This has the potential to surprise your opponent, who might suspect you to have Cute Charm instead of Klutz. This "immunity" to Trick allows Lopunny to set up in the face of potential Trick users, and Baton Pass out. When combined with Lopunny's Base 105 Speed and solid defenses, this task is normally not hard to do.</p>

<p>Because Klutz makes the item you're carrying not affect you, you can Switcheroo potentially damaging items to your opponent. Flame Orb is perhaps the best choice. With the current EVs, you can Trick Flame Orb on to a dangerous physical attacker and take their item away in the process. The EVs are given to utilize Flame Orb as effectively as possible. While it may seem strange to run so much Defense when you always Burn a physical attacker, it makes Tyranitar's Stone Edge a 3HKO almost all of the time even with Sandstorm included, assuming you Switcheroo on the first turn Tyranitar is out. You still have enough bulk on the Special side to make Modest Choice Scarf Heatran's Flamethrower a 3HKO. Lopunny also reaches 300 Speed, which is fast enough to outspeed Salamence. If you have 1 Agility for every 2 Dragon Dances Salamence has, you can outspeed him and cripple him later in the match with Switcheroo. If Flame Orb isn't suited for you, you can also use Iron Ball, Lagging Tail or your own Choice Items to cripple your opponent's lead. Switcherooing a Choice Item on your opponent is effectively the same as using Encore on them, so Switcheroo should still be your primary choice even if you want to use Encore. If you don't plan on using Switcheroo at all, use Substitute or Protect to defend against potential Explosions, and ease what is otherwise a prediction based set.</p>

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I looked over the first paragraph and had a few nitpicks (returning the favor for Snorlax ;) )

<p>If you want to start off the game Baton Passing Agility boosts (shortened this to make it sound more clear) while simultaneously dealing with most other (removed potential as it sounded redundant) leads, Lopunny is your best for the job (Just a preference). This set (removed does) requires a lot of prediction in order for it to work, but it has a high payoff if (removed it) used correctly.</p>
Also, you need to add Klutz as the primary ability for this set. It looks good otherwise, I'll look forward to see what you have once you are finished.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I can vouch for this set, it's one of the best Baton Passers in the game and should be featured. I wouldn't mind a Lopunny revamp honestly, maybe I'll work with maddog on it later (wanna?)

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Minor nitpick, should be running Jolly if it isn't using any attack moves to lower self-inflicted confusion damage.

Edit: Ugh, sorry, not thinking straight.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Timid is (+Spe, - Atk). Confusion damage works off Attack not Special Attack.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Chris: I would have no problem doing that. We should probably wait for UU to settle down before we rewrite the entire article though.

Anyway, finished with the rough draft of the article. Check it out and see what you think.

I went ahead and got this approved my Caelum. This is my lead for my Baton Pass team, and it differs alot from the one in the analysis. It is also made for OU mostly, so it isn't *really* affected by the BL/ UU test that's going on right now. If some people feel this is too silimar to the current Flame Orb trick set, then this will replace it. Credits to Caelum for the spread, and tacho for help with the awesome moveset.

[SET]
name: Baton Pass Lead
move 1: Baton Pass
move 2: Agility
move 3: Switcheroo / Substitute
move 4: Magic Coat
item: Flame Orb
ability: Klutz
nature: Timid
evs: 236 HP / 162 Def / 110 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>If you want to start off the game Baton Passing Agility boosts while simultaneously dealing with most other leads, Lopunny is the best for the job. This set requires a lot of prediction in order for it to work, but it has a high payoff if it is used correctly.</p>

<p>Magic Coat is a great move on a lead, and Lopunny is no exception. With it, Lopunny can bounce back predicted status attacks back at your opponent, hitting them with their own status condition. This is especially good for this set, because it also works to stop the bane of most Baton Passers: Taunt. It also hits Encore, but in order for Magic Coat to successfully reflect an Encore, your opponent would have had to use a move before they attempted to Encore you. Lopunny is also a unique applicant for the Baton Passing role because of Klutz, which grants it virtual immunity to Trick. This has the potential to surprise your opponent, who might suspect you to have Cute Charm instead of Klutz. This "immunity" to Trick allows Lopunny to set up in the face of potential Trick users, and Baton Pass out. When combined with Lopunny's Base 105 Speed and solid defenses, this task is normally not hard to do.</p>

<p>Because Klutz makes the item you're carrying not affect you, you can Switcheroo potentially damaging items to your opponent. Flame Orb is perhaps the best choice. (Added a period, capitalized "With") With the current EVs, you can Trick Flame Orb on to a dangerous physical attacker and take their item away in the process. The EVs are given to utilize Flame Orb as effectively as possible. While it may seem strange to run so much Defense when you always Burn a physical attacker, it makes Tyranitar's Stone Edge a 3HKO almost all of the time even with Sandstorm included, assuming you Switcheroo on the first turn Tyranitar is out. You also have enough bulk on the Special side to make Modest Choice Scarf Heatran's Flamethrower a 3HKO. Lopunny also reaches 300 Speed, which is fast enough to outspeed Salamence. If you have 1 Agility for every 2 Dragon Dances Salamence has, you can outspeed and cripple him later in the match with Flame Orb to prevent a sweep. If Flame Orb isn't suited for you, you can also use Iron Ball, Lagging Tail or your own Choice Items to cripple your opponent's lead. Switcherooing a Choice Item on your opponent is effectively the same as using Encore on them, so Switcheroo should still be your primary choice even if you want to use Encore. If you don't plan on using Switcheroo at all, use Substitute or Protect to defend against potential Explosions, and ease prediction.</p>

I'll finish this in a little bit. Go ahead and comment if you want =]
Comments + corrections in bold!

I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be "a unique..." or "an unique..." Most online sources go with the former, so that's the change listed here.

If you aren't using Switcheroo, then use a beneficial item like Leftovers or Lum Berry with Cute Charm. Lum Berry will give the impression of a Klutz Switcheroo too. No sense in using a useless item.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
If you aren't using Switcheroo, then use a beneficial item like Leftovers or Lum Berry with Cute Charm. Lum Berry will give the impression of a Klutz Switcheroo too. No sense in using a useless item.
Why would you want to run Cute Charm at all? Klutz is pretty much always the preferable ability, since this set is primarily meant to be used as a lead for Baton Pass teams. Klutz is a nice check against many of the common leads that run Trick + a choice item, which can otherwise ruin your attempt to build a Baton Pass chain early on. Lum Berry isn't even that useful when you are also running Magic Coat.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
^ Yep.

Anyway I updated again. I need some opinions on Protect/ Sub in the third slot. Basically, I think Protect will always be the better choice, because most leads think that blowing up on Lopunny will solve the problem. It also gives you a better idea of what your opponent is doing turn 1, which makes a set that is very prediction heavy rely less on it. While Lopunny is fast, it seems to me Substitute could not be the best choice (and in fact it can be better if you are slower, such as against Tar). Sub is also a good choice for BP teams... so I'm not really sure. Switcheroo doesn't have to be the third slot all the time for most people, so I wanted some opinions on it. Which is better: Sub or Protect?

Sub is arguably better, since Lopunny is so fast that Sub works like a Protect. Magic Coat requires keen prediction to reflect back status, whereas Sub does that better with much greater ease against slower foes. Also, Sub guards other team members from Trick and status. Sub allows Lopunny to be more useful when its BPed to.

I retract my comment about on using Klutz. It was pretty boneheaded of me. Klutz is definitely required to stop Trick from screwing over the BP chain. Gotcha.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sub is arguably better, since Lopunny is so fast that Sub works like a Protect. Magic Coat requires keen prediction to reflect back status, whereas Sub does that better with much greater ease against slower foes. Also, Sub guards other team members from Trick and status. Sub allows Lopunny to be more useful when its BPed to.
But, the thing is, Protect stops Explosion from Azelf and Heatran, both of who are (usually) faster than Lopunny. It also makes the decision of "should I magic coat or should I agility (or switch)" eaiser, because if you start using the set, you relize it is VERY prediction based.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
236 HP / 162 Def / 110 Spe

You get the same stats with 236 HP / 160 Def / 108 Spe and have 4 leftover EVs.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
heh, I opened my box and that's the spread I've been using. I guess I messed up when I gave it to mdog. I'm gonna change it for him now xD

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think this looks good now, so if Caelum/ darkie/ whoever could check it over one last time, it is probably ready for on site-ness

Caelum edit: Load it yourself mdog!_!_!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)