Gen 4 LUCARIO BULKY OFFENSE

krv

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey, so I've recently been getting back into competitive pokemon and have been really enjoying dpp ou. I wanted to make a team centered around a good, strong offensive mon. It just so happens to be that my favorite mon, Lucario, is ou in dpp. So, I decided to make my team centered around him. I am by no means a team builder and honestly I suck at it. But, regardless, I gave it my best shot and I hope you guys can give me so constructive criticism. Thanks :)

1602268178682.png

So of course I centered my team around Lucario. Not only is he my favorite mon but I love him in a competitive standpoint as well. He's a great offensive mon and with agility allows me to sweep through almost any team.

1602269096484.png
1602268477109.png
I then decided to pair Lucario with Rotom-H. I thought Rotom would be a good mon to pair Lucario with because not only does it give me a reliable physically defensive pivot but it also lets me deal with Lucario's inability to attack ghost type pokemon without the use of crunch. Rotom would also allow me to effectively deal with pokemon such as Skarmory, Latias, mach punch Breloom, Roserade, and Suicune (all of which wall Lucario or ohko him with a priority move). Rotom also covers my weakness to Scizor, further increasing its utility.

1602268178682.png
1602268477109.png1602268722429.png

The only logical choice after adding Rotom to the team was Tyranitar. T-Tar allows me to deal with pokemon such as Gengar, Gliscor, Dragonite, and lead Azelf. Gengar and Gliscor prove to be problematic for this team so I decided to add Tyranitar to negate those weaknesses and also give me a reliable pursuit trapper simultaneously. Tyranitar is a fantastic pokemon overall and coupled with a choice band, rounds out the team perfectly.

1602268178682.png
1602268477109.png1602268722429.png
1602269181839.png

After adding Tyranitar to the team, I wanted a reliable water resist. I found out that if Rotom were to die pokemon like Milotic or Swampert really walled my team. Because of this, I wanted to add my own reliable counter. At first, I seriously debated putting Milotic/hp grass Heatran in this spot. But, as it fits my preference for offensive play more, I settled on Starmie. Starmie not only allows me to deal with both of these mons, but gives me the perfect rapid spinner. Although my team is not terribly weak to stealth rocks, except for one mon in particular, spikes were a huge pain to deal with. Because of spikes' annoyance, I finally settled on adding Starmie to the team.

1602268178682.png
1602268477109.png1602268722429.png1602269181839.png
1602269544657.png

Up to this point I had absolutely no speed control on the team other than Lucario's ability to set up agility and shred through teams. I also wanted another sweeper on the team because not only is it just how I enjoy to play but the team was seriously, and painfully slow. I always love having Flygon onmy dpp ou teams and thankfully it was the perfect candidate to be my scarfer. With Flygon's welcomed addition to the team it allowed me to check pokemon such as specs Empoleon, scarf/e-belt Infernape, dd Kingdra, Latias, Gengar, and Zapdos. Flygon completely covered most of my weaknesses and was the perfect addition to the team becasue of how well it synchronizes with Lucario.

1602268178682.png
1602268477109.png1602268722429.png1602269181839.png1602269544657.png
1602269981827.png

And now, the final addition the team, and my lead, Metagross. I wanted to be able to set up rocks but also maintain offensive pressure throughout the game. I immediately wanted to use Skarmory, but I decided another offensive mon not only fit my playstyle more, but provided the lead I enjoy sending out. At first I thought lead rocks Infernape was a good choice but I soon found out my team was extremely vulnerable to dragon types. Thus, leading to me choosing Metagross as my stealth rocker. Not only does it give me a great dragon resist but, in my opinion, the quintessential offensive stealth rocker.

I'm still fairly new to the scene as I've come back after 2 years of not being in the scene, so critiques are very appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this and leave your thoughts below! Thanks so much! (Currently 1476 on ladder).

The Team:

1602268178682.png

Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

1602268477109.png
Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat

1602268722429.png
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

1602269181839.png
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

1602269544657.png
Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch

1602269981827.png
Metagross @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Assault
- Bullet Punch
- Explosion

Attachments

Hey,
I don't play offense a lot but I think a few things could be said:

- I would advise against using this rotom set on 95% of teams: I know it's a nice crutch but it gets easily overwehlmed by chip damage/status since it has no recovery. It is also completely walled by clefable/heatran and doesn't accomplish much besides "being annoying" in the early stages of the game.

- I assume starmie is here for infernape/gengar/gliscor etc. When you see starmie on offense it will be to enable a pokemon weak to rocks such as dragonite, but that isn't the case on your team. Also these starmie are usually offensive/carry twave because you don't want to slow down the pace of the game, as opposed to your bulky version. Maybe you could try to play 3 attacks+recover or something, or replace it.

Finally I think you should drop agility lucario in favor of a swords dance set, as it is more effective as a whole.

Unfortunately I don't have the knowledge to help you "fix" your team. You can try to take the path of starmie + dnite and remove flygon ->scarf rotom/scarf latias, or build some fat stuff by replacing rotom-starmie -> machamp+offensive suicune and then flygon -> scarf latias.
You also can take a look at this team, which looks fairly similar to yours (altho it might be a little outdated) or this one. I hope this helped !

SFG

Snom is Fucking Great
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Hi there! Here are some points that I noticed:

-As oiponabys said, don't use this Rotom set. It's just to easy to wear down, and you'll probably just come once and do nothing after it. If you really wants to run a defensive Rotom, you can use the classic set, which is definitely better thanks to Rest and Sleep Talk. However, I'm not a huge fan of the defensive set in this team, and I think a Choice Scarf Rotom would be better here. Thanks to scarf Rotom, you can easly cripple Swampert / Jirachi, and you can threaten Suicune better than with the defensive one, which struggle after a Calm Mind. Scarf Rotom is also cool if you wants to revenge kill some threads like DD Dragonite / Gyarados / Agility Empoleon. Finally, Lucario feats Scarf Rotom super well: in some offenses vs offenses MU, your opponement will try to revenge kill Rotom with a choice locked Latias / Tyranitar / Flygon, or even with his own Rotom. It gives you a free opportunity to setup Lucario and to try to sweep the rest of the team.

T-Tar allows me to deal with pokemon such as Gengar, Gliscor, Dragonite, and lead Azelf.
Not sure I understand here since Gengar, Dragonite and Gliscor destroy all 3 Tyranitar. However, Band Ttar looks really cool in the team. Thanks to it, you can wear down Swampert, Jirachi , Breloom or even Suicune on the switch. It's also a good way to pressure Zapdos and Defensive Rotom, two major pains for Lucario.

Thanks to Scarf Rotom, we already have speed control, and that's why I suggest Life Orb Dragonite over Flygon. LO Dnite can threat some annoying Pokemon like Skarmory, Breloom or Jirachi. Since Breloom is a pain for the team, Sleep Talk Dnite could be nice and fun.

And now, the final addition the team, and my lead, Metagross. I wanted to be able to set up rocks but also maintain offensive pressure throughout the game.
I agree. I just think you could run some speed since if you're facing another metagross which eq twice, you won't be able to revenge kill it.

Version with updates

It's finally really similar to the team oiponabys linked above. Hope it helped you! Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)