Challenge Luc's Prof. Oak Challenge in XY

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello everyone
I recently got inspired by a YouTube video by Johnstone where he did a Professor Oak Challenge for Pokemon Y. I have been watching his challenges for a few months now and thought I would give it a shot. With a little encouragement from my friend p0ip0le I decided to start one of these challenges for Pokemon Y.

What is a Professor Oak Challenge?
Good question. Basically, you have to catch all available Pokemon before you advance through the current gym. For example, in Pokemon Y, you will have to catch a wide range of Pokemon such as Pikachu, the elemental monkeys, and even Riolu and Dunsparce. You also have to evolve all of those Pokemon. You also cannot trade with anyone else, so that means no Gengar, no Escavalier, etc. If you catch an evolved Pokemon, you will also have to breed said Pokemon to get its pre-evolution if it is not obtainable through other means.

Why Pokemon Y?
I am starting this challenge with Pokemon Y as it seems like the easiest. After a little research, there is a lot less RNG elements with Pokemon Y compared to other games, such as DPP and getting Munchlax or Feebas.

How will you level up?
As of writing this, I am still on the first section. The first section will be the slowest as most Pokemon you find only give out small amounts of experience. However, once you get to section 2, you can access the Battle Chateau. There, you will be able to battle trainers with varying levels that, with the Experience Share you gain in this section, will help out a lot. There are a few tiers, the higher tier you are, the higher leveled Pokemon you will find. Some trainers will also have Audino. Audino give out massive amounts of experience, especially at higher levels. You can also obtain writs that can help the process of time management as the trainers only spawn in every 6 minutes.

How do you know of every Pokemon to get?
The main method is this document by Reddit user Mewlax that has an in-depth guide for all routes, Pokemon you can find, and evolution methods and levels. This is what I will be going off of for my run, and I suggest you to follow it as well. big shoutout to Mewlax for making it, as it would be nearly impossible to do this challenge otherwise. Serebii or Bulbapedia could also work... but I'm too lazy to do that.

What makes this challenge difficult?
Everything about it makes it difficult. In a more serious note, the first section being slow and the second section containing a lot of Pokemon are what makes this specific challenge hard. This challenge is also very time consuming. Johnstone did his run in around 100 hours, which is a while. I have seen other reports of getting it done in 70 hours, but that can also require some skill as you will have to train numerous Pokemon at once in some scenarios.

Can I follow along? What about play along?
Yes! I encourage you to play along as it may give you a unique experience of playing Pokemon that you have never had before. I will be posting updates once a week (hopefully). I will do my first update when I finish the first section and carry on from there. You can also post updates about your own playthrough. Questions are also encouraged as someone else may share a question, I will try to answer as many as I can, other users can also answer them if they want.

Will you be doing more of these?
Yes, I want to try another game, probably Platinum, Black/White, or Sun/Moon next. However, I want to finish this playthrough first.

Now that we are done with all the questions (I may edit in some more if some important ones are asked), let's get started! I started off by naming myself Lucario, talking to some of my friends that I have never seen before, telling them my nickname is Lucario (yes, I'm lame like that) and chose Froakie as my starter. I battled Shauna and learned how to catch a Pokemon and caught all Route 2 encounters before going to Santalune Forest. In there I caught Weedle, Scatterbug, Pikachu (I will have to go back for a female as I will have to breed it later for Pichu), and the elemental monkeys. I walked into Route 3 and caught Azurill, two Burmy, and Bidoof. I carried on, battled the trainers, bought more Pokeballs and went to Route 22. There, I caught Farfetch'd, Litleo, and Riolu. I started to do Super Training with my Froakie so that I could unlock the secret courses that reward you with evolutionary stones. Then, I did Pokemon Amie for a while with most of my Pokemon to get to two affection hearts. If you didn't know, having two affection hearts will increase experience gains for a Pokemon by 20%, I will only be doing Pokemon Amie in the first section as it is not needed much in the later sections. I have evolved most of my Pokemon and only need to evolve Pidgey, Fletchling, Litleo, Psyduck, Riolu, Azurill, Froakie, and both Burmy as well as all stone evolutions. I will post an update tomorrow night when I (hopefully) finish section 1. edit: I will be posting the updatd on Friday, I got busy and still need to evolve 2 more Pokemon for the section.

I will do all future updates to my run as well as the rest of section 1 in different posts as I do not want to make this post super long.

Last edited:
The DexNav makes this significantly easier to track in ORAS, fyi. No solution for the Feebas, but it's very easy to visit an area and instantly know whether you've completed it or not.

Lucario

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello! I am back with my update. I have finished section 1 with a time of 25:15. It was a tough grind, but I managed to get my dex of 46 Pokemon, which include Butterfree, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Raichu, Golduck, Farfetch'd, Dunsparce, Azumarill, Linoone, Bibarel, Wormadam, Mothim, Lucario, Simisage, Simisear, Simipour, Greninja, Diggersby, Talonflame, Vivillon, and Pyroar. I am heading onto Section 2 right now! This one will take a while as it has over 100 Pokemon available. If you decided to give this a try, I hope you haven't given up as it only gets easier from here!

Lucario

Update time!
I finished Checkpoint 2 with a time of 47:17, pretty good, I think.
I abused the heck out of the Battle Chateau and even got my Greninja to level 100!
I, however, did forget about Ducklett and Swanna somehow, so I had to go back to them right before I battled Grant.
So that probably took 30-40 minutes, so I could have had a better time.
Checkpoint 3 will be a lot faster to complete (Thank Bidoof).
I will hopefully get it done in a week, and until then I won't be doing an update as there's like, maybe 20 Pokemon
for the section... yeah.
I am also a Duke at the Battle Chateau and did actually lose to Marchioness Viola once when my Greninja
was like level 50 because Water Pulse + Water Shuriken could not KO her Vivillon or her Masquerain both
at level 40. So that was fun.​

Lucario

I am done with checkpoint 3! I also went a little bit ahead to get my second Lucario, the Lucarionite, and a Lapras from a breeder.
I took a 3 day break in the middle of it because I was frustrated at not finding a single Sableye or Miltank...
So I played Pokemon X for an hour and got a shiny Swellow for Pokemon Game's (PS Room) Shinyfest.
I also got mad when I found out that Gallade is only in the Amorphous egg group in Gen 6, so when I tried to use it to breed my Hariyama to get a Makuhita it took forever. Then Super Training was stupid, too. I was about to say "luckily there aren't many stone evolutions left..." BUT THERE ARE 7, and you can only buy the stones for like 2 or 3 of them! The worst part is, I have 3 Sun Stones and there is not a single Pokemon that needs a Sun Stone past checkpoint 2.
Anyway, it was a pretty easy checkpoint, I finished it with a time of 52:18, so it took me 5 hours and 1 minute, nice. I also somehow got Grand Duke at the Battle Chateau, so either Serebii or Bulba lied to me when they said you needed all badges and defeated the Elite Four to have it.
So I am now Gran Duke Lucario, nobody can stop me.
Oh, I forgot, I hate the scene with the Mega Evo Guru because it's more of a spam A fest than the rest of the game.
Serena asked for a battle, I said no because I have a level 100 Greninja and told her she would cry since she has high twenties.
She did not care, so I defeated her and she ran all the way back to Route 1 to cry.

Next checkpoint is similar in length to this past one, so it may take the same amount of time to complete, maybe a little more, so I will see you all then!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)