"Luke Nightmare" An OU RMT!

So to start things off, I'd like to say this is my first RMT. I never really found them to be that helpful, I just liked looking at them alot. As soon as I built this team i'm about to present to you, it honestly wasn't doing very good. As I laddered and laddered, I noticed I couldn't find a team that really suited me, so I decided to try this team out one more time. After using it again, I started to realize it was a really good team. Now using it as my main team, I have peaked #17 on the OU leaderboard last month and it seems to be very successful. I find some weaknesses though, like vaporeon and suicune. Hence why I bring you, team "Luke Nightmare!"

Team "Luke Nightmare" at a glance!

A better look at the team!

The ever-so common Fish Thing Lead!

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 6 SP. DEF
Nature: Relaxed (+ DEF, - SPE)
Moveset:
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar

I know what you're probably thinking right now "Swampert is so common, can't you be more original?" Well, original doesn't cut it when swampert fits the team perfectly. The reason I chose Swampert is because it gets up rocks fairly easily, being able to take any hit from any lead. (Unless taunted or explosion from metagross) I put some sp. def evs into so it can live a Life Orb'd grass knot from infernape and OHKO it with earthquake. Hidden Power grass doesn't OHKO me from heatran, so EQ shits in it's face too. Roar is there for scouting and spreading around some nice entry hazard damage.

The SPIKE Setup!

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
252 HP/ 68 DEF/ 188 SPE
Nature: Impish
Moveset:
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind
- Roost

This thing works like a charm for me. It is actually pretty bulky on the defensive side (Like most skarm are) but honestly can't take many special attacks that hit it super effectively. Not having any attacking moves may seem weird at first, but taunt really helps out at times. Taunt stops other skarm who try to setup on mines, giving me a free layer of spikes, can stop blissey easily if it doesn't carry flamethrower. It can also whirlwind away sweeprs who try to setup, scout, and racks up damage for a sweep later on.

Hey scizor, how about some burn with that?

Rotom-H (N/A) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/ 120 DEF/ 136 SP DEF
Nature: Bold
Moveset:
- Will-o-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split

This amazing pokemon, would be my SD scizor check. I have plenty of Choice Band scizor check on the team, but none check swords dance like this guy. He switches in on the SD and just burns their ass so they are useless. I have shadow ball and t-bolt for more STAB and coverage. Pain split to get more HP from Blissey, etc., T-bolt for cune/vappy and breloom's subs get broken by a shadow ball.

The Sp Defensive Wall!

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
252 HP/ 116 DEF/ 28 SP ATK/ 112 SP DEF
Nature: Calm
Moveset:
- Dragon Pulse
- Roar
- Thunder Wave
- Recover

This set may look weird when you first look t it, but it actually helps in todays meta a lot. I notice there are tons of ScarfTar running around so T-wave does the job while being able to live a crunch/pursuit at full hp. Getting a para on a ScarfTar makes my luke come in easier at the end to sweep, since ScarfTar is a good luke counter at a lot of HP (Unless I carry bullet punch). It helps roar out crocune and walls it nicely while scouting my opponents team.

The Revenge Killer!

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
182 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 76 SP. ATK
Nature: Naive
Moveset:
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake

One of the best revenge killers in the OU metagame today. I LOVE this thing. It kills latias who think they can kill me off with a specs surf, starmie who think they can hydro pump / surf me. It kills mence on the double switches with ice beam, predict right and it kills incoming gliscor. It's just AMAZING. I put 76 Sp. Atk just to OHKO mence and gliscor, just kinda played with the evs a bit. This set just takes common sense to say the least.

Clean-Up time!

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
252 ATK/ 252 SPE/ 6 HP
Nature: Adamant
Moveset:
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance

This speaks for itself. It's the most common out there for Lucario. With all of those entry hazards out there I can bring this in late game and just fuck some shit up. It works very, very well. Crunch ditches rotom who think they can burn me, +2 Close Combat kills many things in the metagame, sometime even if they resist it. So basically I just use it for clean-up.

So yea that's the team, it IS a semi stall, as you can see it's VERY vappy / suicune weak. I don't know how to fix that without ruining the team. So Rate it, Comment it, Steal it and I appreciate the help!

I'm not sure if these changes will work, so bear with me, but i'm fairly sure it'd be an improvement.
Looking at Rotom, the lack of Thunderbolt is worrying. I know rest and Sleep Talk let you absorb Status, but I have some suggestions to replace them. First, replace Roar on Latias with Refresh. While not being able to pHaze with him is a downside, you already have Skarmoury to pHaze, and having refresh lets Latias absorb Status. with the two moveslots freed up on Rotom, add Overheat and Thunderbolt - he can now hit Suicune and Vappy hard, and actually damage Scizor intstead of just burning him. The only other thing I would note is that Scarf Rotom can still Burn You, or even lock you into Swords Dance/Crunch with trick, so I would tread carefully. Otherwise, Great team!

You have a great set up here. I agree with fast flygon but I would add trick and choice specs as well. If you feel that burn on yiur lucario is too debilitating change it to a calm mind with vacuum wave. I use that as a stall cleaner and it rocks. Surprises the hell out of everyone.

Solid Balance team, is this the one you won the 2nd Smogon tournament with? I found it amazing that the underdog won.

Anyways, I'm no good with Balance but I do have an idea of something.
You have Scarftar to deal with Ghosts, and Rotom can still pelt them hard if that ever happens, so why play Crunch? I think Stone Edge would be a much better fit in this slot to be able to hit Gyarados. Rotom can still check Gyara I just think this would be a better fit so he won't interrupt your sweep later in the game. Sorry for not being much of a help, but good luck with the team.

Thanks a lot for the rates guys.
Liam you have an interesting point, but crunch helps me hit ghosts/psychics harder that don't think i'm scarfed. Example: Gengar.

Another thing, FastFlygon. i really liked the idea you gave me for refresh on latias, and turning rotom into more of an attacker, I might try that.

Nas

Banned deucer.
Just a quick suggestion; I'd recommend switching Shadow Ball on Rotom for Thunderbolt. You have a bad DD Gyara weak, especially if they have Taunt, as you can't phaze them out with Skarmory or Burn them, and really nothing else on your team can take a hit from it. I don't see why you would want to sacrifice almost all of Rotom's HP just to KO Gengar when you could instead switch to Tyranitar and Pursuit for the KO...add to that the fact that Rotom is your only Gyarados counter and you could have a huge problem if your opponent has one of them waiting in the wings. If you still feel you need Shadow Ball for Breloom then you could try Pain Split and Shadow Ball over Rest and Sleep Talk, so you can have both attacks while still having recovery.

That's about all I can think of, other than maybe running Calm Mind over Thunder Wave on Latias to deal with your Vaporeon and Suicune weakness, but then you lose out on the opportunity to paralyze ScarfTar switch-ins. Sorry for the short rate, but that's about all I can think of right now. Nice Team :)

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello eagles,

From what I'm seeing, you seem to lack some sort of check to Dragon Dance threats namely Gyarados and Salamence. Tyranitar getting locked into a move is very likely, thus giving them a free time to use Dragon Dance. The first thing I would to do is capitalize on Swampert's defense. You should go for 252 Hp / 252 Def / 6 SpD so you actually stand a chance against Salamence. This given spread allows you to have a strong chance of surviving +1 Life Orb Outrage from Salamence, while also surviving three +1 Crunch's from Tyranitar. I don't think that the Special Defense EVs is worth it just to survive Hidden Power Grass from Heatran. Its not common to begin with and checking physical threats is ultimately more important. You have Latias to check Heatran if the need arises.

Speaking of Latias, what is up with the EV spread? You should take advantage of its high Speed. If you want to go a bit defensive while adding some Speed, I definitely recommend going for 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe for the EV spread. This allows you to outpace beneficial 100's, namely Salamence so it doesn't force you to switch out. Point is limiting Salamence's options. The rest of the EVs is dumped to maximize its bulk on the physical side (taking Pursuit's and whatnot).

As for other options, Thunderbolt would probably be best over Shadow Ball so you actually smack around Tentacruel, Foretress - common spin blockers, and Scizor. With Shadow Ball, I don't think your really spin blocking to the fullest, and you say you hit Gengar, but Tyranitar checks it so don't worry. It allows lets you strike bulky waters which could be problematic from what I can see in this team. Lastly, although this is personal preference, I like to run Jolly Lucario to outpace CM Jirachi (speedy one), opposing Lucario, and Mamoswine. overall gl.

Speaking of Latias, what is up with the EV spread? You should take advantage of its high Speed. If you want to go a bit defensive while adding some Speed, I definitely recommend going for 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe for the EV spread. This allows you to outpace beneficial 100's, namely Salamence so it doesn't force you to switch out. Point is limiting Salamence's options. The rest of the EVs is dumped to maximize its bulk on the physical side (taking Pursuit's and whatnot).
If you're going to use this EV Spread make sure you use 180 Speed EVs instead of 176 in order to outspeed MixApe who use enough Speed EVs to outspeed base 100s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)