NU Lumineon

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Meet Lumineon, the most forgotten pokemon of DPPt:

[click da feesh to hear the best pokemon cry ever]

Overview
########

With Defog, Lumineon is able to carve itself a small niche in NU. Its pure Water typing coupled with respectable bulk allow Lumineon to take a few hits throughout the game when required. Its passable Speed without investment allows it to use U-turn to keep up momentum, which Defog normally kills; this is something many other Defoggers struggle to do. Storm Drain gives it additional opportunities to switch in and use Defog and allows it to take on some offensive Water-types one-on-one. Unfortunately, Lumineon is pitifully weak offensively, even after a Storm Drain boost. It also struggles to provide any other support for its team outside of Defog and U-turn. This, coupled with its lack of reliable recovery, really limits its usefulness on certain teams, as it often only gets one or two switches in per game due to the residual damage that accumulates.

Defog
########
name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Scald
move 4: Charm / Toxic
ability: Storm Drain
item: Leftovers
evs: 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Defog allows Lumineon to support its team via entry hazard removal. Scald is the STAB move of choice, as nothing Lumineon fires off is going to hurt very much anyway, and the 30% chance to burn is always useful. U-turn is a great filler move and one of the main draws of using Lumineon, as it allows you to keep up momentum after going for Defog. Lumineon also can grant a rather slow U-turn against faster attackers, which Pokemon holding a status Orb appreciate. Charm prevents boosting sweepers such as Feraligatr, Bouffalant, Steelix, Carracosta, and Fraxure from using Lumineon as setup fodder. Charm's -2 Attack drop will overpower any pokemon that boost one stage at a time and it has equal PP to Swords Dance, allowing Lumineon to stall setup sweepers out. Charm also allows Lumineon to tank the hits from slower physically offensive Pokemon, such as Steelix, Seismitoad, Hariyama, and Garbodor, and then force them to switch out, which Lumineon can take advantage of with U-turn for free momentum. Toxic can be used, as it also puts setup sweepers on a timer; however, due to key targets such as Steelix, Zangoose, Mawile, and Garbodor being immune to it and many other Swords Dance users carrying Lum Berry, Charm is a more reliable option. Ice Beam could be used to beat Grass-types, but it's so weak that Lumineon should just U-turn out into another Pokemon in most cases.

Set Details
========

A physically defensive spread is used because it takes advantage of Lumineon's decent natural bulk, typing, and ability. When coupled with Scald burns and Charm, this makes it a much more reliable Defogger than an offensive spread would. The Speed EVs allow Lumineon to outrun Adamant Flareon and uninvested Xatu while sacrificing negligible bulk. A specially defensive spread could also be used in order to take Fire-type attacks with greater ease, but that's better left to Mantine. A fast spread could be used, with investment in Speed instead of Defense, but it's often better to take advantage of Lumineon's bulk and ability to Defog multiple times per game than to get off a quick Defog and faint. Storm Drain gives Lumineon a useful immunity, and its other abilities don't often come into play anyway.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent has a Water-type that isn't Ludicolo, Lumineon is a pretty safe switch-in. Because Lumineon is immune to their STAB and takes insignificant damage from most coverage options, it can safely Defog any potential entry hazards. Other Pokemon that Lumineon can switch into include bulky Ground-types such as Claydol and Sandslash and Fire-types such as Flareon. If the opponent sends in a slower physically offensive Pokemon, it's almost always best to have Lumineon use Charm and take a heavy hit, then U-turn out on the next turn. Once entry hazards are gone, it's much more useful to have Lumineon take hits rather than its teammates. With maximum HP investment, Lumineon can act as an emergency check to Typhlosion or other Fire-types, as Typhlosion's Choice Specs boosted Eruption will never OHKO Lumineon, while Scald will do over 50%enough to weaken Eruption to the point where Lumineon can avoid being 2HKOed. Obviously, it should not be your primary switch-in, though. Be cautious if the opponent has a Defiant user such as Pawniard. While slower Defiant users do have to fear a burn from Scald the following turn, Lumineon should still be careful about giving them a free +2 Attack boost with Defog.

Team Options
========

Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Typhlosion, Scyther, Archeops, and Jynx appreciate Lumineon's Defog support. Pairing Lumineon with them significantly increases their longevity. Balanced teams appreciate Lumineon, as it can offer Defog support while also serving as a solid answer to opposing offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr and Samurott. Lumineon fits very nicely on VoltTurn teams, as it gets access to both entry hazard control and U-turn. Common partners on VoltTurn teams include Heliolisk, Rotom, Scyther, Liepard, Archeops, Lanturn, Probopass, and Mesprit.

Other Options
########

This thing literally gets no other moves. It's pathetic.

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-types**: Almost every Electric-type can switch into Lumineon without fear, outspeed it, and force it out with the threat of a KO. The only thing Lumineon can deter switch-ins with is a Scald burn, which most Electric-types don't care about anyway, as they're special attackers. A special mention goes to Heliolisk, as it's immune to Scald as well, granting it a free switch.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Lilligant, Lum Berry Virizion, and defensive Vileplume have little to fear from a Lumineon, as a weak U-turn out or a Scald burn are the only outcomes to worry about. Almost any Grass-type can immediately threaten to KO Lumineon with its STAB moves, or in Lilligant's case, set up on it.

**Offensive Pressure**: Effective double switching can cause Lumineon to take entry hazard damage and then immediately be forced out without having a chance to Defog. The additional residual damage accumulated throughout the battle makes it extremely difficult for Lumineon to Defog more than once or twice per game.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon such as Lilligant and Calm Mind Xatu can take advantage of the free turns Lumineon provides with Defog and U-turn to get an easy boost.

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Alright, this is ready for QC checks :]

C&C was kinda written in a hurry before bed, might need touching up in the future if QC wants to suggest changes.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Remove competative / defiant from C&C, all of those mons are pretty meh in the meta right now and I wouldn't even think twice about giving them +2.

Add in getting worn down coupled with no reliable recovery as that is the main stop to Lumineon continuously doing its job if only it got water absorb instead of storm drain

Add in a volt turn team in team options as Lumineon is pretty cool to use alongside that as a Defogger that gets U-turn.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the spread should be 208 HP / 252 Def / 48 Spe. You sacrifice minimal bulk in exchange for the ability to outspeed Adamant Flareon and slow Xatu/Uxie.

Charm doesn't do shit vs. Klinklang because it has Clear Body.

"A Specially defensive spread could also be used in order to take Fire Spam better, but that's left better to Mantine." <- so is everything

This is pretty simple stuff. QC 1/3

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like checks and counters needs a lot more stuff. Maybe add special set up sweepers (Uxie, Mismagius, Lilligant) which set up on it, status absorbers (Xatu, Heal Bell Musharna, Roselia) which totally screw it up, Taunt which prevents it from Defogging (mostly just Missy), and strong offensive pressure which wears Lumineon down and limits its Defogging

Make sure you emphasize that Mantine / Pelipper / Prinplup >>> Lumineon in overview (Pelipper even gets U-turn lol)

Make sure you say that you shouldn't use Lumineon in overview when you write it

tag me when you're done and I stamp CanadianWifier

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lumineon has a very slight niche with U-turn and Storm Drain, but I'm not sure if it's enough of a niche to warrant an analysis. Still not rejecting yet, curious to see what others have to say.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
yea it faces competition from Mantine, Pelipper, Prinplup for sure, but it definitely still has a niche in that U-turn + water immunity allows it switch-ins vs shit like gatr, Samu, seis, mantine, etc; basically defog 100% free, and keep up momentum the following turn. Amazing? no, but I feel it warrants an analysis as it's not 100% outclassed, it just faces stiff competition. oh also not weak to rocks :]

willing to see others thoughts on it

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
added all of Scorps suggestions and updated for drops kinda.
ready for qc 2/3 whether it's for or against my fishy friend. :pirate:

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
U-turn provides enough of a niche over Prinplup imo, and the fact that you're not weak to rocks makes it more viable than Mantine and Pelipper on a few teams. I'd probably slash Toxic before Charm considering you lack recovery and taking more damage may not be the best option in most scenarios. While I agree with Montsegur that Defiant/Competitive doesn't need a mention in C&C I'd still add a mention about Pawniard in Usage Tips. Other than that looks good, this mon is obviously pretty straight forward. 2/3

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a couple of things before I go to bed; You need to give options for Volt turn team mates, mention Uturners and Volt Switchers, you can even mention pseudo switchers with Baton Pass. In UT mention more things that Lumineon can come in on and defog on. In Set Details mention that the fast spread can let Lumineon outpace more Pokemon to defog as it sits at a high base speed, but it can't switch in as many times. Mention in the overview that it is easily worn down and has no access to reliable recovery which coupled with mediocre defenses means that its only coming in once or twice to defog against most teams. (Pretty much make it sound a bit worse as I got what sounded like a B- mon from the overview) Fix your formatting in C&C, come on now you know better, as well as expand out on each section with specific scenarios that Lumineon would encounter. Possibly add in a section about prone to be worn down with passive damage, as that prevents it from effectively doing its job.

Thats all I have for now, will check a bit more tomorrow if I get the chance. Don't take that as a guarantee as I'm going to be pretty busy

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Just a couple of things before I go to bed; You need to give options for Volt turn team mates, mention Uturners and Volt Switchers, you can even mention pseudo switchers with Baton Pass. In UT mention more things that Lumineon can come in on and defog on. In Set Details mention that the fast spread can let Lumineon outpace more Pokemon to defog as it sits at a high base speed, but it can't switch in as many times. Mention in the overview that it is easily worn down and has no access to reliable recovery which coupled with mediocre defenses means that its only coming in once or twice to defog against most teams. (Pretty much make it sound a bit worse as I got what sounded like a B- mon from the overview) Fix your formatting in C&C, come on now you know better, as well as expand out on each section with specific scenarios that Lumineon would encounter. Possibly add in a section about prone to be worn down with passive damage, as that prevents it from effectively doing its job.

Thats all I have for now, will check a bit more tomorrow if I get the chance. Don't take that as a guarantee as I'm going to be pretty busy
literally caught me with this as I was falling asleep, will implement all changes tomorrow after class.

Psywaves

Procrastinating Pedantic Perfectionist™
is a Contributor Alumnus
Add
Capitalise/capital -> lower case

Remove
Comments

edit: Hide tags are playing up; at the bottom there's the GP stamp and GP 1/2
Overview
########

Lumineon likely isn't the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Defog, but with it this forgotten fish With Defog, Lumineon is able to carve itself a small niche in NU., (full stop/period -> comma) and with its pure Water-(remove hyphen)typing coupled with respectable bulk, Lumineon is fully capable of taking a few hits throughout the game when required. Its passable Speed without investment allows it to abuse U-turn to keep up momentum for its team, which Defog normally kills, and is something many other Defoggers struggle to do. Storm Drain gives it additional switch-in opportunities to switch in for to use Defogging, as well as and allowings it to take on some offensive Water-types 1 one-on-one 1. Unfortunately, Lumineon is pitifully weak offensively, even after a Storm Drain boost. It also struggles to provide any other support for its team outside of Defog plus and U-turn. This, coupled with its lack of reliablye recovery really limits its usefulness on certain teams, as it often only gets one or two switchines in per game due to the residual damage that accumulates. However, if you're looking for a Defog user that won't completely kill offensive momentum, look no further than Lumineon. (I understand that it can be nice to end things on a positive note, but it's already been stated that Lumineon is a Defogger that won't completely kill momentum)

Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog is the only reason to use Lumineon, allowing it to support its team via hazard removal. Scald is the STAB move of choice, as nothing Lumineon fires off is going to hurt very much anyways, and the 30% chance to burn gives is always useful. U-turn is a great filler move, (RC) and one of the main draws of using Lumineon, as it allows you it to keep up momentum after going for Defog. It also can grant a rather slow U-turn against faster attackers, which Pokemon holding a status Orb pokemon appreciate. Charm prevents boosting pokemon sweepers like such as Feraligatr, Bouffalant, Steelix, Carracosta, and Fraxure from using it Lumineon as set-(remove hyphen)up fodder. Charm's -2 drop will straight overpower any Pokemon that boost one stage at a time, and it has equal PP to Swords Dance, allowing you Lumineon to stall them setup sweepers out. Charm also allows Lumineon to tank the hits from slower physically offensive Pokemon, such as Steelix, Seismitoad, Hariyama, and Garbodor, then force them to switch out, which it can take advantage of with U-turn for free momentum. Toxic can be used, as it also puts set-(remove hyphen)up sweepers on a timer; however, due to key targets such as Steelix, Zangoose, Mawile, and Garbodor being immune to it (since Toxic Boost Zangoose isn't immune to Toxic, I suppose you could always change "being immune to it" to something more general such as "being able to take advantage of it), (RC) and many other Swords Dance users carrying Lum Berry, Charm is a more reliable option. Ice Beam theoretically could be used to beat up on Grass-(add hyphen)types, but it's so piss weak that Lumineon would rather just U-turn out into another Pokemon in almost all cases.

Set Details
========

A physically defensive spread is used because it takes advantage of Lumineon's decent natural bulk, typing, (AC) and ability. When coupled with Scald burns and Charm, this makes it a much more reliable Defogger than an offensive spread would allow. The Speed EVs allow you Lumineon to outrun Adamant Flareon, (RC) and 0 speed uninvested Xatu while sacrificing negligible bulk. A specially defensive spread could also be used in order to take Fire-type attacks Spam better with greater ease (changed this because the word "better" pops up very shortly afterwards), but that's left better left to Mantine. A fast spread could theoretically be used, with speed investment in Speed instead of Defense, but it's often better to take advantage of its Lumineon's bulk and ability to Defog reliably multiple times per game than to get off a quick Defog and die faint. Storm Drain is used as it gives Lumineon a useful immunity in NU, and its other abilities don't often come into play anyway.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent has a Feraligatr, Samurott, Mantine, Sieismitoad, or literally any other Water-type not named Ludicolo, Lumineon is a pretty safe switch-(add hyphen)in. Due to it being immune to their STAB, and the fact that Lumineon takes insignificant damage from most coverage options, it can safely Defog away any potential hazards. Other common switch-in opportunities for Lumineon to switch in include bulky Ground-types like such as Claydol, (RC) and Sandslash, and Fire-types such as Flareon. Specifically, If the opponent has sent in a slower physically offensive Pokemon, it's almost always better best to have Lumineon use Charm and take a heavy hit, (RC) then U-turn out on the next turn. Once the entry hazards are gone, it's much more useful to have Lumineon take hits than the rest of your team. 252 HP / 0 SpD With maximum HP investment, Lumineon can act as an emergency check to Typhlosion or other Fire-types, as Typhlosion's Choice Specs-boosted Eruption will never OHKO Lumineon, while 0 SpA Scald will do over 50%; enough so that Eruption is weakened to the point where it Lumineon can avoid a 2HKO being 2HKOed. Obviously, it should not be your primary switch-in, though. Be cautious if the opponent has a Defiant user such as Pawniard. While slower Defiant users do have to fear a burn from Scald the following turn from Scald, Lumineon should still be careful about giving a free +2 Attack boost to them.

Team Options
========

Obviously Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Typhlosion, Scyther, Archeops, and Jynx and other Stealth Rock weak pokemon appreciate Lumineon's Defog support. Pairing Lumineon with them significantly increases their survivability. Balanced teams appreciate Lumineon, as it can offer both Defog support while being a solid answer to opposing offensive Water-types like such as Feraligatr or Samurott. Lumineon fits very nicely on a Volt-(add hyphen)Turn structure teams, as it gets access to both hazard control and U-turn, which allows it to keep up momentum and remove hazards. Common partners on Volt-(remove hyphen)Turn teams include Heliolisk, Rotom, Scyther, Liepard, Archeops, Lanturn, Probopass, and Mesprit.

Other Options
########

This thing literally gets no other moves. It's pathetic. (lol)

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-(add hyphen)types**:(add colon) Basically every Electric-type can switch into Lumineon without fear, outspeed it, and force it out Lumineon with the threat of a KO. The only thing Lumineon can deter switch-ins with is a Scald burn, which most Electric-types don't care about anyway, (AC) as they're special attackers. A special mention goes out to Heliolisk, (AC) as it's immune to Scald as well, granting it a 100% free switch.

**Grass-(add hyphen)types**:(add colon) Grass-types such as Lilligant, Lum Berry Virizion, and defensive Vileplume have little to fear from a Lumineon, as a weak U-turn out or a Scald burn are the only outcomes to worry about. Almost any Grass-type can immediately threaten to kill KO Lumineon with their STAB moves, or in Lilligant's case, set up on it.

**Offensive Pressure**:(add colon) Effective double switching can cause Lumineon to take entry hazard damage, (RC) then immediately force it out without having a chance to Defog. The additional residual damage accumulated throughout the battle makes it extremely difficult for Lumineon to Defog more than once or twice per game.

**Special Set-(remove hyphen)up Sweepers**:(add colon) Pokemon such as Lilligant and Calm Mind Xatu can take advantage of the free turn Lumineon provides with its Defog plus U-turn, (RC) and get an easy boost.

GP 1/2 :)

Last edited:

queez

wandering and wondering
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello there. amcheck incoming

Additions
Removals
Comments

Overview
########

With Defog, Lumineon is able to carve itself a small niche in NU,.(remove comma + add period) and with I(capitalize i)ts pure Water typing coupled with and respectable bulk, Lumineon is fully capable of allow it to take taking a few hits throughout the game when required. Its passable Speed without investment allows it to use U-turn to keep up momentum for its team, which Defog normally kills(I'm not sure what you're talking about here, the wording makes it confusing), and is something many other Defoggers struggle to do. Storm Drain gives it additional opportunities to switch in to and use Defog, and allows it to take on some offensive Water-types one-on-one. Unfortunately, Lumineon is pitifully weak offensively, even after a Storm Drain boost. It also struggles to provide any other support for its team outside of Defog and U-turn. This, coupled with its lack of reliably reliable recovery really strongly limits its usefulness on certain teams, as it often only gets one or two switches in per game due to the residual damage that accumulates.

Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog allows is the only reason to use Lumineon, allowing it to support its team via entry hazard removal. Scald is the STAB move of choice,;(remove comma + add semicolon) as since nothing Lumineon fires off is going to hurt very much anyway, and the 30% chance to burn is always useful. U-turn is a great filler move and one of the main draws of using Lumineon, as it allows you to keep up momentum after going for Defog. It Lumineon also can grant execute a rather slow U-turn against faster attackers, which Pokemon holding a status Orb appreciate. Charm prevents boosting sweepers such as Feraligatr, Bouffalant, Steelix, Carracosta, and Fraxure from using Lumineon as set up fodder. Charm's -2 Attack drop will overpower any pokemon that boost one stage at a time,(remove comma) and it has equal PP to Swords Dance, allowing Lumineon to stall setup sweepers out. Charm also allows Lumineon to tank the hits from slower physically offensive Pokemon, such as Steelix, Seismitoad, Hariyama, and Garbodor, then force them to switch out, which it Lumineon can take advantage of with U-turn for free momentum. Toxic can be used, as it also puts set up sweepers on a timer; however, due to key targets such as Steelix, Zangoose, Mawile, and Garbodor being immune to it and many other Swords Dance users carrying Lum Berry, Charm is a more reliable option. Ice Beam could be used to beat Grass-types, but it's so weak that Lumineon should would rather("would rather" implies Lumineon has an opinion)just U-turn out into another Pokemon in most cases.

Set Details
========

A physically defensive spread is used because it takes advantage of Lumineon's decent natural bulk, typing, and ability. When coupled with Scald burns and Charm, this makes it a much more reliable Defogger than an offensive spread would. The Speed EVs allow Lumineon to outrun outspeed Adamant Flareon and uninvested Xatu while sacrificing negligible bulk. A specially defensive spread could also be used in order to take Fire-type attacks with greater ease, but that's better left to Mantine. A fast spread could be used, with investment in Speed instead of Defense, but it's often better to take advantage of Lumineon's bulk and ability to Defog reliably multiple times per game than to get off a quick Defog and faint. Storm Drain is used as it gives Lumineon a useful immunity, and its other abilities don't often come into play anyway.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent has a Feraligatr, Samurott, Mantine, Seismitoad, or any other Water-type not named that isn't Ludicolo, Lumineon is a pretty safe switch-in. Due to it being immune to their STAB, and the fact that Lumineon takes insignificant damage from most coverage options, it can safely Defog away any potential entry hazards away. Other common opportunities for Lumineon to switch in include bulky Ground-types such as Claydol and Sandslash,(remove comma) and Fire-types such as Flareon. If the opponent has sent sends in a slower physically offensive Pokemon, it's almost always best to have Lumineon use Charm and take a heavy hit,(add comma) then U-turn out on the next turn. Once entry hazards are gone, it's much more useful to have for Lumineon take hits rather than its teammates than the rest of your team. With maximum HP investment, Lumineon can act as an emergency check to Typhlosion or other Fire-types, as Typhlosion's Choice Specs boosted Eruption will never OHKO Lumineon,(remove comma) while and Lumineon's Scald will do over 50%;(remove semicolon + add dash)enough so that to weaken Eruption is weakened to the point where Lumineon can avoid being 2HKOed. Obviously However, it should not be your primary switch-in, though. Be cautious if the opponent has a Defiant user such as Pawniard. While slower Defiant users do have to fear a burn from Scald the following turn, Lumineon should still be careful about giving a free +2 Attack boost to them from Defog(it was a bit unclear what you were talking about here).

Team Options
========

Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Typhlosion, Scyther, Archeops, and Jynx appreciate Lumineon's Defog support. Pairing Lumineon with them significantly increases their survivability. Balanced teams appreciate Lumineon, as it can offer Defog support while also serving as being a solid answer to opposing offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr or and Samurott. Lumineon fits very nicely on Volt-(remove hyphen)Turn teams, as it gets access to both entry hazard control and U-turn. Common partners on VoltTurn teams include Heliolisk, Rotom, Scyther, Liepard, Archeops, Lanturn, Probopass, and Mesprit.

Other Options
########

This thing literally gets no other moves. It's pathetic.

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-types**: Basically Almost every Electric-type can switch into Lumineon without fear, outspeed it, and force it out with the threat of a KO. The only thing Lumineon can deter switch-ins with is a Scald burn, which most Electric-types don't care about anyway, as they're special attackers. A special mention goes to Heliolisk, as it's immune to Scald as well, granting it a free switch.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Lilligant, Lum Berry Virizion, and defensive Vileplume have little to fear from a Lumineon, as a weak U-turn out or a Scald burn are the only outcomes to worry about. Almost any Grass-type can immediately threaten to KO Lumineon with their STAB moves, or in Lilligant's case, set up on it.

**Offensive Pressure**: Effective double switching can cause Lumineon to take entry hazard damage then immediately force it out without having a chance to Defog. The additional residual damage accumulated throughout the battle makes it extremely difficult for Lumineon to Defog more than once or twice per game.

**Special Set up Sweepers**: Pokemon such as Lilligant and Calm Mind Xatu can take advantage of the free turn turns Lumineon provides with its Defog plus and U-turn and to get an easy boost.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
yo! stamping Queez for 2/2, with a few edits. my colors are add / remove / (comment)
lemme know if you have any questions! I know the color overload can be confusing @__@

edit: I FORGOT TO EDIT THE PLACEHOLDER AGAIN

Overview
########

With Defog, Lumineon is able to carve itself a small niche in NU,.(remove comma + add period) and with I(capitalize i)ts pure Water typing coupled with and respectable bulk, Lumineon is fully capable of allow it to take taking a few hits throughout the game when required. Its passable Speed without investment allows it to use U-turn to keep up momentum for its team, which Defog normally kills(I'm not sure what you're talking about here, the wording makes it confusing), and is something many other Defoggers struggle to do.

(I think I see what you're trying to say here: Defog kills momentum, and keeping up momentum is something most Defoggers can't do. However, because the "which Defog normally kills" part is right after "its team", it kind of sounds like Defog kills the team. I couldn't think of a great fix for this, but see if this sounds alright to you:)
Its passable Speed without investment allows it to use U-turn to keep up momentum, which Defog normally kills; this is something many other Defoggers struggle to do.

Storm Drain gives it additional opportunities to switch in to and use Defog, (remove comma) and allows it to take on some offensive Water-types one-on-one. Unfortunately, Lumineon is pitifully weak offensively, even after a Storm Drain boost. It also struggles to provide any other support for its team outside of Defog and U-turn. This, coupled with its lack of reliably reliable recovery, (comma) really strongly limits its usefulness on certain teams, as it often only gets one or two switches in per game due to the residual damage that accumulates.

Defog
########

Moves
========

Defog allows is the only reason to use Lumineon, allowing it to support its team via entry hazard removal. Scald is the STAB move of choice,;(remove comma + add semicolon) as since nothing Lumineon fires off is going to hurt very much anyway, and the 30% chance to burn is always useful.

(Keep what you originally had here. In general we should only use since like this: "I've been playing Pokemon since 2001". So, this should still be:)
Scald is the STAB move of choice, as nothing Lumineon fires off is going to hurt very much anyway, and the 30% chance to burn is always useful.

U-turn is a great filler move and one of the main draws of using Lumineon, as it allows you to keep up momentum after going for Defog. It Lumineon also can grant execute a rather slow U-turn against faster attackers, which Pokemon holding a status Orb appreciate. Charm prevents boosting sweepers such as Feraligatr, Bouffalant, Steelix, Carracosta, and Fraxure from using Lumineon as set up setup (setup is one word when it's being used like this. similarly, setup sweeper, setup bait) fodder. Charm's -2 Attack drop will overpower any pokemon Pokemon that boost one stage at a time,(remove comma) and it (eh, I don't think this is necessary, but you can implement it if you like) has equal PP to Swords Dance, allowing Lumineon to stall setup sweepers out. Charm also allows Lumineon to tank the hits from slower physically offensive Pokemon, such as Steelix, Seismitoad, Hariyama, and Garbodor, and then force them to switch out, which it Lumineon can take advantage of with U-turn for free momentum. Toxic can be used, as it also puts set up setup sweepers on a timer; however, due to key targets such as Steelix, Zangoose, Mawile, and Garbodor being immune to it and many other Swords Dance users carrying Lum Berry, Charm is a more reliable option. Ice Beam could be used to beat Grass-types, but it's so weak that Lumineon should would rather("would rather" implies Lumineon has an opinion)just U-turn out into another Pokemon in most cases.

Set Details
========

A physically defensive spread is used because it takes advantage of Lumineon's decent natural bulk, typing, and ability. When coupled with Scald burns and Charm, this makes it a much more reliable Defogger than an offensive spread would. The Speed EVs allow Lumineon to outrun outspeed (I think outrun is fine, but there's nothing wrong with outspeed either, so you can implement this. also, fish can't run, so there's that haha) Adamant Flareon and uninvested Xatu while sacrificing negligible bulk. A specially defensive spread could also be used in order to take Fire-type attacks with greater ease, but that's better left to Mantine. A fast spread could be used, with investment in Speed instead of Defense, but it's often better to take advantage of Lumineon's bulk and ability to Defog reliably multiple times per game than to get off a quick Defog and faint. Storm Drain is used as it gives Lumineon a useful immunity, and its other abilities don't often come into play anyway.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent has a Feraligatr, Samurott, Mantine, Seismitoad, or any other Water-type not named that isn't Ludicolo, Lumineon is a pretty safe switch-in. Because Lumineon is Due to it being immune to their STAB, (remove comma) and the fact that Lumineon takes insignificant damage from most coverage options, it can safely Defog away any potential entry hazards away. Other common opportunities for Lumineon to switch in include bulky Ground-types such as Claydol and Sandslash,(remove comma) and Fire-types such as Flareon.

(Queez's change here is fine, but I'm a little unsure about the beginning of this sentence. You're listing Claydol, Sandslash and Flareon as "common opportunities", which sounds a bit off. I get that you mean Lumineon has the opportunity to switch in when those Pokemon are on the field, but saying "Other common opportunities for Lumineon to switch in include when bulky Ground-types such as Claydol and Sandslash and Fire-types such as Flareon are on the field" sounds kind of awkward too. Would it be okay to have this as:)
Other Pokemon that Lumineon can switch into include bulky Ground-types such as Claydol and Sandslash and Fire-types such as Flareon.

If the opponent has sent sends in a slower physically offensive Pokemon, it's almost always best to have Lumineon use Charm and take a heavy hit,(add comma) then U-turn out on the next turn. Once entry hazards are gone, it's much more useful to have for (you can keep "to have") Lumineon take hits rather than its teammates than the rest of your team. With maximum HP investment, Lumineon can act as an emergency check to Typhlosion or other Fire-types, as Typhlosion's Choice Specs-boosted (add dash) Eruption will never OHKO Lumineon,(remove comma) while and (the ", while" is fine, so you can keep that over "and") Lumineon's Scald will do over 50%;(remove semicolon + add dash)enough so that to weaken Eruption is weakened to the point where Lumineon can avoid being 2HKOed. Obviously However, it should not be your primary switch-in, though. Be cautious if the opponent has a Defiant user such as Pawniard. While slower Defiant users do have to fear a burn from Scald the following turn, Lumineon should still be careful about giving a them free +2 Attack boost with to them from Defog(it was a bit unclear what you were talking about here).

Team Options
========

Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock such as Typhlosion, Scyther, Archeops, and Jynx appreciate Lumineon's Defog support. Pairing Lumineon with them significantly increases their longevity survivability. Balanced teams appreciate Lumineon, as it can offer Defog support while also serving as being a solid answer to opposing offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr or and Samurott. Lumineon fits very nicely on Volt-(remove hyphen)Turn teams, as it gets access to both entry hazard control and U-turn. Common partners on VoltTurn teams include Heliolisk, Rotom, Scyther, Liepard, Archeops, Lanturn, Probopass, and Mesprit.

Other Options
########

This thing literally gets no other moves. It's pathetic. (omg)

Checks & Counters
########
**Electric-types**: Basically Almost every Electric-type can switch into Lumineon without fear, outspeed it, and force it out with the threat of a KO. The only thing Lumineon can deter switch-ins with is a Scald burn, which most Electric-types don't care about anyway, as they're special attackers. A special mention goes to Heliolisk, as it's immune to Scald as well, granting it a free switch.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types such as Lilligant, Lum Berry Virizion, and defensive Vileplume have little to fear from a Lumineon, as a weak U-turn out or a Scald burn are the only outcomes to worry about. Almost any Grass-type can immediately threaten to KO Lumineon with their its STAB moves, or in Lilligant's case, set up on it.

**Offensive Pressure**: Effective double switching can cause Lumineon to take entry hazard damage and then immediately be forced it out without having a chance to Defog. The additional residual damage accumulated throughout the battle makes it extremely difficult for Lumineon to Defog more than once or twice per game.

**Special Setup Sweepers**: Pokemon such as Lilligant and Calm Mind Xatu can take advantage of the free turn turns Lumineon provides with its Defog plus and U-turn and to get an easy boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)