move 2: Psystrike / Photon Geyser
move 3: Secret Sword / Moonblast
move 4: Volt Switch / Trick
item: Choice Specs
ability: Adaptability
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Lunala finds its place in the meta by being a Ghost-type wallbreaker with a secondary STAB type that enables it to break past some Ghost-type answers such as Snorlax and Type: Null. Two immensely powerful STAB moves in Moongeist Beam and Psystrike restrict its checks to Dark-types, while Photon Geyser does a fantastic job at breaking Normal-type Pokemon that use Ice Scales. Psystrike is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and its ability to 2HKO Snorlax without Ice Scales. As Lunala's checks are fairly limited in nature, Lunala is able to customize its last two moves in order to pick which Dark-types it beats while also either providing momentum with Volt Switch or potentially crippling walls with a Trick. A Timid nature is run in order to outspeed Pokemon such as Excadrill and Zekrom.

Lunala isn't without flaws, however, and it needs Pokemon such as Eternatus, Zacian-C, and Zamazenta-C that can come in on the Dark-types that give it trouble, such as Tyranitar and Mandibuzz. Eternatus is also helpful due to its resistances to Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend, which may give Lunala trouble when coming from many of the threats that outspeed it such as Zacian-C. Imposter Wobbuffet is very useful due to its ability to scout opposing movesets and provide more information about the opposing team, allowing Lunala to avoid being lured and taken out by moves dangerous to it such as Knock Off and Spectral Thief. Lastly, Poison Heal Zekrom can break walls that are specially bulky but physically frail (RC) while also being able to switch into Knock Off after its Toxic Orb has been activated. Pokemon that can set entry hazards such as Zacian-C and Eternatus can be useful in order to assist Lunala in guaranteeing the OHKOs and 2HKOs it wants, such as a 2HKO on Type:(space)Null after Stealth Rock.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[GL Volkner, userid1]]
- Quality checked by: [[Chessking345, 355040], [a loser, 410702]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
this one hasn't been forgotten, i'll work on this in a bit! got carried away with something else lol

:lunala: :sm/lunala: :lunala:

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Moongeist Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Lunala paves its place in the meta by being a Psychic-type wallbreaker Luna clicks ghost moves more? I think it’s more of a ghost breaker whose secondary STAB enables it to break past Psychic-type resists such as Melmetal and Zacian-Crowned. Two immensely powerful STAB moves in Moongeist Beam and Psystrike allow it to restrict its checks to Dark-types, while Photon Geyser does a fantastic job at breaking Ice Scales Pokemon Does Geist not break what Geyser breaks? I think you meant to specify Normals?. Psystrike is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and its ability to 2HKO Snorlax. As Lunala's checks are fairly limited in nature, Lunala is able to customize its last two moves in order to pick which Dark-types it beats while also either providing momentum with Volt Switch or potentially crippling walls with a Trick. Timid description

Lunala isn't without flaws, however, and it needs Pokemon such as Eternatus and Melmetal There are better examples like Zacian and Zamazenta (crowned too) that can come in on the Dark-types that give it trouble, such as Tyranitar and Mandibuzz. Eternatus is also helpful due to resisting Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend, which may give Lunala trouble when coming from many of the threats that may outspeed it such as? Also checks Marsh which can be helpful. Imposter Wobbuffet is very useful due to its ability to scout opposing movesets and provide more information about the opposing team what is special about Lunala that appreciates this since this sentence is really generic. Lastly, Poison Heal Zekrom can break walls that are specially bulky but physically frail, while also being able to switch into Knock Off after its Toxic Orb has been activated.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
QC 1

Reactions: Ren

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
add delete comments
:lunala: :sm/lunala: :lunala:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Lunala paves its place in the meta by being a Ghost-type wallbreaker whose secondary STAB enables it to break past some Ghost-type resists such as Snorlax and Type:Null. Two immensely powerful STAB moves in Moongeist Beam and Psystrike allow it to restrict its checks to Dark-types, while Photon Geyser does a fantastic job at breaking Normal-type Pokemon that use Ice Scales. Psystrike is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and its ability to 2HKO Snorlax without Ice Scales. As Lunala's checks are fairly limited in nature, Lunala is able to customize its last two moves in order to pick which Dark-types it beats, like Tyranitar or Mandibuzz, while also either providing momentum with Volt Switch or potentially crippling walls with a Trick. Timid is ran in order to outspeed Pokemon such as Excadrill and Zekrom.

Lunala isn't without flaws, however, and it needs Pokemon such as Eternatus, Zacian-C and Zamazenta-C that can come in on the Dark-types that give it trouble, such as Tyranitar and Mandibuzz. Eternatus is also helpful due to resisting Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend, which may give Lunala trouble when coming from many of the threats that may (why include "may"? the main speedy bolt/rend users like barra and zera always outspeed lunala) outspeed it such as Zacian I hope you mean Zacian-C here. I don't think base Zacian is using bolt/rend. Fix this or change the example to barra and zera. Imposter Wobbuffet is very useful due to its ability to scout opposing movesets and provide more information about the opposing team, allowing Lunala to avoid being lured by moves dangerous to it such as Knock Off and Spectral Thief. Lastly, Poison Heal Zekrom can break walls that are specially bulky but physically frail, while also being able to switch into Knock Off after its Toxic Orb has been activated. Pokemon that can set hazards such as Zacian-C and Melmetal who is hazard setting Melmetal? I've never seen him before can be useful in order to assist Lunala in guaranteeing the OHKOs and 2HKOs it wants, such as a 2HKO on Type:Null after Stealth Rock with Photon Geyser. Are you talking about scales type: null here? cause you 2hko after spikes with either psychic moves if it isn't scales, but you need photon to get the 2hko on scales

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Chessking345, 355040], [username2, userid2]]
Nice work, implement these changes for QC 2/2
a_loser-QC-small.gif

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
“Psystrike is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and its ability to 2HKO Snorlax without Ice Scales.”

Wait, shouldn’t it say ”without Fur Coat“?

Psystrike should already break Snorlax with Ice Scales because it does not hit Special Defense in the first place. It works like Secret Sword.

I don’t think Snorlax really uses Fur Coat, so the “without Fur Coat” can be removed, but it could still work to explain that Psystrike bypasses Ice Scales, in general, but struggles vs Fur Coat, in general.

How about:

“Psystrike, is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and it’s ability to 2HKO Ice Scales Snorlax due to only hitting Defense. Still, Photon Geyser can bypass Ice Scales, in addition to Fur Coat when used against Pokemon that use either ability.”
The damage from Psystrike is halved by Ice Scales. The description of Ice Scales states that it halves the damage taken from special moves, not that it doubles the user's Special Defense or anything else. The replay below shows Mewtwo attacking Ice Scales Snorlax with both Photon Geyser and Psystrike, and the former out-damages the latter thanks to ignoring the ability.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1083900685
The damage calculator doesn't seem to be showing the Ice Scales / Psystrike interaction correctly. I've questioned this interaction many times this gen as well but I always get the answer that Ice Scales halves the damage.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
The damage from Psystrike is halved by Ice Scales. The description of Ice Scales states that it halves the damage taken from special moves, not that it doubles the user's Special Defense or anything else. The replay below shows Mewtwo attacking Ice Scales Snorlax with both Photon Geyser and Psystrike, and the former out-damages the latter thanks to ignoring the ability.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8balancedhackmons-1083900685
The damage calculator doesn't seem to be showing the Ice Scales / Psystrike interaction correctly. I've questioned this interaction many times this gen as well but I always get the answer that Ice Scales halves the damage.
I apologize I will delete my own post immediately. To be frank I don’t believe I saw this in the Simple Q&A thread, so I don’t know if others may have been unaware. In either case, I am sorry.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Lunala paves finds its place in the meta by being a Ghost-type wallbreaker whose with a secondary STAB type that enables it to break past some Ghost-type resists answers such as Snorlax and Type:(space)Null. Two immensely powerful STAB moves in Moongeist Beam and Psystrike allow it to restrict its checks to Dark-types, while Photon Geyser does a fantastic job at breaking Normal-type Pokemon that use Ice Scales. Psystrike is normally preferred, though, due to its higher PP and its ability to 2HKO Snorlax without Ice Scales. As Lunala's checks are fairly limited in nature, Lunala is able to customize its last two moves in order to pick which Dark-types it beats while also either providing momentum with Volt Switch or potentially crippling walls with a Trick. A Timid nature is ran run in order to outspeed Pokemon such as Excadrill and Zekrom.

Lunala isn't without flaws, however, and it needs Pokemon such as Eternatus, Zacian-C, (AC) and Zamazenta-C that can come in on the Dark-types that give it trouble, such as Tyranitar and Mandibuzz. Eternatus is also helpful due to resisting its resistances to Bolt Beak and Fishious Rend, which may give Lunala trouble when coming from many of the threats that outspeed it such as Zacian-C. Imposter Wobbuffet is very useful due to its ability to scout opposing movesets and provide more information about the opposing team, allowing Lunala to avoid being lured and taken out by moves dangerous to it such as Knock Off and Spectral Thief. Lastly, Poison Heal Zekrom can break walls that are specially bulky but physically frail (RC) while also being able to switch into Knock Off after its Toxic Orb has been activated. Pokemon that can set entry hazards such as Zacian-C and Eternatus can be useful in order to assist Lunala in guaranteeing the OHKOs and 2HKOs it wants, such as a 2HKO on Type:(space)Null after Stealth Rock.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Chessking345, 355040], [a loser, 410702]]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)