Project Lure That Threat - SM RU Edition - Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by phantom
Based on and OP adapted from the SM OU thread of the same name.
Co-hosted with Yay

amazing art by MamOwOswine
Welcome Smogonites! We all know what are lures and what they do, specific Pokemon that run an unexpected move or moveset in order to weaken or directly OHKO a specific threat, and pave the way for another sweeper. Having said that though, there isn't that much of a focus on lures in the RU Forum, and a good deal of lures used by battlers aren't really that optimal, this project forms a competition to see what the ingenuity of people can come up with, and, hopefully; improve the Teambuilding aspect we have at the moment.

Process
  • Every week, A threat in the RU metagame will be posted, alongside a sample set and a brief description of it.
  • The community will then have four days to nominate Pokemon that work as effective lures to that threat, with calculations and a description. Each person may nominate one lure per week.
  • There will then be a three day voting period in which users can vote on the lures that they consider the best or more useful. Each user is allowed up to one vote.
  • Once the voting period has concluded, the two lures with the highest number of votes will be added to the archive. A new set will then be posted.
Rules
  • You must post a set and an explanation of why your chosen Pokemon is a good lure alongside your nomination. Damage calculations are required, since they will help better illustrate your point.
  • Please focus on only posting RU-viable Pokemon as lures. As a general rule of thumb, nominating Pokemon found in the RU viability ranking thread is a good idea. You can nominate Pokemon that aren't found in that thread, but please post a detailed explanation of why that Pokemon is viable if you do. Nominations can be rejected on the basis of the Pokemon being unviable or other common options being able to deal with the threat in a similar manner.
  • You are welcome to reserve a lure, but only if you plan to complete the write-up within six hours. Other users may nominate the Pokemon themselves if you fail to meet this time requirement.
Things to ask yourself before posting a lure
  • Does this Pokemon have to sacrifice anything important? If you're losing a key part of a set just for an uncommon threat, it can be considered a bad lure. Always consider what you give up in order to lure something, that is very important.
  • Does this Pokemon gain anything important when using this move/item? How does the Pokémon or its teammates benefit from the lure?
  • Could this method be better aided through teammates? Does your lure need team support to carry out it's role effectively?
  • Is this set uncommon enough to be really considered a lure? Would your opponent, under normal battle conditions, expect to be able to safely switch the Pokemon into your lure?
  • Consider that, to be considered a lure, the opposing Pokémon should have a reason to stay on a 1v1 or switch into your lure.
Examples

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This is an example of a good lure. It initially looks like standard Nasty Plot Salazzle. However, Hidden Power Grass allows it to lure in and OHKO Rhyperior with little prior damage, who is otherwise able to wall Salazzle thanks to its typing and great bulk. Luring in and eliminating Rhyperior can allow Salazzle teammates to use it's STAB moves more easily, such as Noivern and Swellow..

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Steel]

This is an example of a bad lure. Despite landing an OHKO against Diancie, Swellow would much rather be utilizing U-turn and retaining its coverage option in Air Slash, since it has one single target that is uncommon in trade for an important slot.

Current Subject:

Last edited:

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam​

This is one of the most dangerous mons of the tier, an excellent SpA, combined with a very good bulk make this mon a complete beast, that is why I have decided that it will be chosen for this week, Lure That Threat!

Well, i don't know how to play RU decently, i literally started this recently, (and i'm at 25 in ladder in my alt Hero Signal) but i have a friend who played against a lot of famous RU players who teached me a lot of things, and since Arcanine has dropped to RU, one of my favorites sets besides the choice band one, is the Electrium Z one.
1545147348191.png

Arcanine @ Electrium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp

In my opnion arcanine have an excelent physical bulk (but sucks to water types, RIP). With Stealth Rock or spikes layers on the team, i think this set could fit decently (Since it's a lure set). Will-o-Wisp is just to take Gligar and turn it to a piece of garbage while burned. The main problem with this set is: It doesn't HK Milotic in specific.

252 Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thereat, i strongly recommend use Hazzard spam with this team (not T Spikes, cuz this could activate the Marvel Scale and make the things more difficult.)

252 Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 136 HP / 0 Def Blastoise-Mega: 290-342 (87 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO (At one "Bulk" spread)
252 Atk Arcanine Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 612-720 (163.6 - 192.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

I strongly recomend a grass with this Arcanine set, Since seismitoad is in the tier and can completely counter this set.

That's all folks, any english errors, please, correct me, I'm so bad speaking this.

Askov

Explode
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion

Espeon @ Electrium Z
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Morning Sun
- Zap Cannon

cool set that Mr Aldo posted on Snake set/team dump, Z-Electric allows Espeon to bop Mandibuzz and do good damage on some of its checks/counters while also in this case allowing it to KO Mega-Blastoise right of the bat

252 SpA Espeon Gigavolt Havoc (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Blastoise-Mega: 368-434 (123 - 145.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

PILZ

Banned deucer.

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Atk / 88 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Toxic
- Sticky Web
- Mirror Coat

This is an useful lure to Mega Blastoise, Araquanid avoids 3hitKO and retaliates back with Mirror Coat. Also lures the own spinner to set webs.

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 88 SpD Araquanid: 108-128 (31.8 - 37.7%) 0.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 88 SpD Araquanid: 99-117 (29.2 - 34.5%)

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Isn't a lure supposed to be a pokemon that the threat switches in with ease? Araquanid is already somewhat of a Mega Blastoise check, with or without Mirror Coat :pikuh:

Voting for Askov since Electrium Arcanine looks already to be a decently known set.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Isn't a lure supposed to be a pokemon that the threat switches in with ease? Araquanid is already somewhat of a Mega Blastoise check, with or without Mirror Coat :pikuh:

Voting for Askov since Electrium Arcanine looks already to be a decently known set.
well tbh blastoise doesnt switch into any of these mons normally, and z-elec espy is also known, if not moreso than z-elec arc

PILZ

Banned deucer.

Noivern @ Firium Z
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Roost

Metagross generally check Noivern because of his natural bulk and type advantage, he scares to switch in a Flamethrower but in STABs or Taunt/Roost its a pretty free switch, but with this set Noivern can OHKO offensive Metagross and has a high chance to OHKO max HP variants after rocks, also even an Assault Vest variant isnt safe, Z Move + Flamethrower is a guaranteed KO after rocks.

252 SpA Noivern Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 340-402 (112.9 - 133.5%)
252 SpA Noivern Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 340-402 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Noivern Inferno Overdrive (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 226-268 (62 - 73.6%)
252 SpA Noivern Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Metagross: 118-140 (32.4 - 38.4%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)