lydian art & lydian music

oh ye i also did this for not my type. i may or may not finish this line in the forseeable future :eyes:
Steel Trapinch

Abilities: Hyper Cutter; Arena Trap; Sheer Force
Stats: 25 HP | 100 Atk | 100 Def | 25 SpA | 25 SpD | 15 Spe

pisxel

when my star shines, will you think of me? ☆
I love your art style!! I think my favorite was the STAB Open Obstagoon one :) Also your Twinleaf Town Remix is epic. Good luck on your future projects :D

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
For someone who only started posting their artwork recently, you've certainly made yourself busy! I genuinely admire your tenacity in drawing so many tournament and thread banners, and your confidence to try drawing Pokemon with fairly complex designs, like Zacian and Grimmsnarl. I can tell by some of your more recent pieces, like the Gigantimax Xatu, Dragapult, and Steel Trapinch that you're steadily getting a better grasp on how Pokemon are designed and composing them from basic forms.

If you don't mind me providing some critique, I'd recommend you work on steadying your hand while drawing and cleaning up the edges of your lines. Messy outlines can hold back otherwise nice illustrations, and I feel like the quality of your work will noticeably improve if you address some of the wobbly edges on your linework. I know that can be especially tricky with a drawing tablet, so if your drawing program has a line smoothing feature, try playing around with that to help keep your linework a bit more composed.

For your thread banners, I'd like to echo what Kalalokki said and encourage you to experiment with some different font choices. While it's tempting to view the text as secondary to the illustration, your text choice can make a big impact on the overall feel of the piece. Slab Serif fonts like the one you use are good for a sports theme, which goes well for competitive Pokemon threads, but there are plenty of other possibilities out there. A script or cursive font, for instance, will imply fanciness or regality, while a sans-serif font like Helvetica or Arial might imply a more modern or sleek feel. Don't feel pressured, of course; we're all doing work for free here, and I won't blame you for going with something familiar just so you can have the piece finished.

I hope I don't sound too harsh here. You're clearly putting a lot of effort into your work, so don't wear yourself out!

I love your art style!! I think my favorite was the STAB Open Obstagoon one :) Also your Twinleaf Town Remix is epic. Good luck on your future projects :D
thank you very much :) really glad you liked!
For someone who only started posting their artwork recently, you've certainly made yourself busy! I genuinely admire your tenacity in drawing so many tournament and thread banners, and your confidence to try drawing Pokemon with fairly complex designs, like Zacian and Grimmsnarl. I can tell by some of your more recent pieces, like the Gigantimax Xatu, Dragapult, and Steel Trapinch that you're steadily getting a better grasp on how Pokemon are designed and composing them from basic forms.

If you don't mind me providing some critique, I'd recommend you work on steadying your hand while drawing and cleaning up the edges of your lines. Messy outlines can hold back otherwise nice illustrations, and I feel like the quality of your work will noticeably improve if you address some of the wobbly edges on your linework. I know that can be especially tricky with a drawing tablet, so if your drawing program has a line smoothing feature, try playing around with that to help keep your linework a bit more composed.

For your thread banners, I'd like to echo what Kalalokki said and encourage you to experiment with some different font choices. While it's tempting to view the text as secondary to the illustration, your text choice can make a big impact on the overall feel of the piece. Slab Serif fonts like the one you use are good for a sports theme, which goes well for competitive Pokemon threads, but there are plenty of other possibilities out there. A script or cursive font, for instance, will imply fanciness or regality, while a sans-serif font like Helvetica or Arial might imply a more modern or sleek feel. Don't feel pressured, of course; we're all doing work for free here, and I won't blame you for going with something familiar just so you can have the piece finished.

I hope I don't sound too harsh here. You're clearly putting a lot of effort into your work, so don't wear yourself out!
Thanks for the compliments MiniArchitect :) I'm a big fan of your drawings so I'm definitely all ears for any critique from you!

Your points about the lineart are absolutely valid and I agree with them for sure, I've been trying to improve it a bit lately, idk if you noticed. At first, I did them out of lack of knowledge on how to approach the lineart, but then I started to leave them in at least to add some flair and interest to my drawings, if that makes any sense. Like I legitimately think that sometimes they can add a bit to the drawing like here:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.44.08.png

and here:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.44.22.png

but I agree that not trimming up some of the bad looking lines can and will ruin a drawing like this Noivern I did, which I'll definitely agree is hindered a bit:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.45.28.png

That being said, I've been trying to toy with other kinds of lineart (this weekend, actually) to make my drawings more appealing in this sense. There's the Woobat you've seen and also this guy which I'll post in detail later (but I'll share it for now for the sake of addressing this):
floto2.png

I think exaggerating these "errors" and playing around with them helps integrate them more and make them look less like errors and more like a stylistic choice, but I understand why you wouldn't like them. I've tried to trim these down when working on my Dragapult and this little guy as well (more on it later):
croagunk2.png

But yeah, in general, I totally see where you're coming from and I agree that it can be a hindrance to my drawings, I hope my recent drawings have already addressed this issue, but I'd love to hear what you think!

What you said about the font makes a ton of sense either. I just didn't use anything else yet because I don't know where and how to put new fonts in Krita, and there aren't any let fonts I really like there, so I keep using this one. But one day I'll get my lazy ass to look it up how to do it! I appreciate you telling me the idiosyncrasies of some of the fonts, that's definitely good to know!

And no worries, you're definitely not being harsh, and I'm super open for criticism! Thanks a ton for the feedback and have a nice day :) I'll see if I can improve on what you've pointed out!

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Your points about the lineart are absolutely valid and I agree with them for sure, I've been trying to improve it a bit lately, idk if you noticed. At first, I did them out of lack of knowledge on how to approach the lineart, but then I started to leave them in at least to add some flair and interest to my drawings, if that makes any sense. Like I legitimately think that sometimes they can add a bit to the drawing like here:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.44.08.png

and here:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.44.22.png

but I agree that not trimming up some of the bad looking lines can and will ruin a drawing like this Noivern I did, which I'll definitely agree is hindered a bit:
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 11.45.28.png

That being said, I've been trying to toy with other kinds of lineart (this weekend, actually) to make my drawings more appealing in this sense. There's the Woobat you've seen and also this guy which I'll post in detail later (but I'll share it for now for the sake of addressing this):
floto2.png

I think exaggerating these "errors" and playing around with them helps integrate them more and make them look less like errors and more like a stylistic choice, but I understand why you wouldn't like them. I've tried to trim these down when working on my Dragapult and this little guy as well (more on it later):
croagunk2.png

But yeah, in general, I totally see where you're coming from and I agree that it can be a hindrance to my drawings, I hope my recent drawings have already addressed this issue, but I'd love to hear what you think!

What you said about the font makes a ton of sense either. I just didn't use anything else yet because I don't know where and how to put new fonts in Krita, and there aren't any let fonts I really like there, so I keep using this one. But one day I'll get my lazy ass to look it up how to do it! I appreciate you telling me the idiosyncrasies of some of the fonts, that's definitely good to know!

And no worries, you're definitely not being harsh, and I'm super open for criticism! Thanks a ton for the feedback and have a nice day :) I'll see if I can improve on what you've pointed out!
It sounds like you've put some thought into this already, and I'm glad to know you've been experimenting with it! While I do think you (and any artist, really) will still benefit from getting better control over your brushstrokes, trying to own those jagged edges and make them into a stylistic choice is a creative way to address it, too. Just make sure you're training yourself to recognize where you want to intentionally apply that effect, and where it gets in the way of the illustration. I didn't mention it before, but I really like your Woobat drawing, and I can tell the "sketchiness" of it, for lack of a better term, was an intentional way to illustrate the fuzzy outline of its fur and add some personality to it, which I think let it turn out pretty well!

Also, I like that Croagunk! I think I said as much when you posted it on Discord a while back, the pose is nice and relaxed, and the colors and shading look pretty good to me.

I drew this Hoothoot as a gift to my grandmother as owls are her favorite. Hopefully, I can print it after the threat of COVID-19 is gone and give a physical copy to her :) In general, I also used it to work on this style I'm developing as well.

I was debating whether to post this or not because I haven’t really been doing much here on these forums other than browsing and liking the art LOL (plus I already screamed at you multiple times in discord oops)
LYDDDDDDDD YOUR ART IMPROVED SO MUCH SINCE DECEMBER!!!! The line art is so much more “purposeful“ (if that makes sense,,, lol) and seems more confident (less shaky haha-) And the art style development in general is so good!! (I really like how you went from straight black shading/white highlights to a dark color/a lighter color, and you went from black lineart to colored line art) although there are minor errors here and there (it’s already been mentioned by others) the pokemon you draw have more dimension then in your earlier pieces, and you‘ve definitely gotten better how light hits the mons. I’m very excited to see what you’ll be drawing next!!! (seriously though, you've improved a LOT in only less than 4 months!)

I was debating whether to post this or not because I haven’t really been doing much here on these forums other than browsing and liking the art LOL (plus I already screamed at you multiple times in discord oops)
LYDDDDDDDD YOUR ART IMPROVED SO MUCH SINCE DECEMBER!!!! The line art is so much more “purposeful“ (if that makes sense,,, lol) and seems more confident (less shaky haha-) And the art style development in general is so good!! (I really like how you went from straight black shading/white highlights to a dark color/a lighter color, and you went from black lineart to colored line art) although there are minor errors here and there (it’s already been mentioned by others) the pokemon you draw have more dimension then in your earlier pieces, and you‘ve definitely gotten better how light hits the mons. I’m very excited to see what you’ll be drawing next!!! (seriously though, you've improved a LOT in only less than 4 months!)
thank you friend!!!!!! loving your consistent support to my art and i'm a huge fan of your stuff as well :) really appreciate this compliment and the thousand others you gave on discord!!! :heart:

Mavis

Banned deucer.
I opened this by accident while fucking around in the facebook spotlights thread and wholeheartedly love all the work you do :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)