Monotype Made Me This Way - A Psychic Monotype Team | Peaked #1 with 86% GXE | 500th Post RMT

maki

uri duri naranhi
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Made Me This Way.png

Introduction.png

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 12.53.24 AM.png
Hello everyone, hope that you all are doing well! With this post, I will finally be reaching 500 posts and would like to make my first RMT to commemorate it. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a newish player primarily focused on Monotype though I've been making attempts to dabble in whatever tier I can with how times are like during the pandemic. I've had a great and memorable time over the one and a half year I've been on Smogon and wouldn't change any of it; whether I wanted it to or not, Smogon has been a huge influence on my life and where I've made many valuable friends. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that it made me who I am today. With that said, let's get into the team; I've decided to share one of my most favorite team I've built this generation with some help from Decem.
Team Breakdown.png

:ss/slowking-galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake / Scald
- Future Sight
Starting off the team, we have the demon itself, Slowking-Galar. Originally, I had no intentions of using this Pokemon and thought of it as something worthless; messing around with it on various different teams however eventually led me and a few others to realize that Slowking-Galar was nothing to scoff at. Slowking-Galar's massive Special Defense stat paired with Assault Vest and a great ability in Regenerator allows it to act as a incredible defensive pivot able to switch-in against Pokemon like Specs Pelipper and Sub-Toxic Aegislash which Psychic-type teams usually find extremely difficult to check defensively. Sludge Bomb is Slowking-Galar's first moveslot to provide important STAB able to hit a wide majority of the metagame with a notable chance to inflict poison. Flamethrower is important to hit Steel-types like Ferrothorn and Aegislash which would otherwise completely wall it. Earthquake allows Slowking-Galar to deal sizable damage against Heatran and certain Poison-types like Slowking-Galar, though Scald can be an alternative that has less damage, but the added benefit of being less vulnerable to burns and a chance to burn. Future Sight is a devastating move that often puts opponents into an awkward position to play into and can prove incredibly difficult to switch into when paired with Victini.

:ss/slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam
Here, we have our second member of our team, Slowbro. Similar to its long lost cousin above, Slowbro's high Defense stat partnered with Regenerator allows it to act as a valuable defensive pivot able to bring other teammates in safely through the use of Teleport. Slowbro is an important partner for Slowking-Galar as it forms a strong Regenerator core with its crucial resistances against offensive threats like Urshifu-R and Victini. Heavy-Duty Boots allows Slowbro to consistently switch-in and play its role as a pivot without worrying about hazards. Scald is Slowbro's main form of STAB and can often get valuable burns on Pokemon like Celesteela and Zeraora. Slack Off provides Slowbro with a reliable form of recovery when forced to stay in. Ice Beam is vital to prevent Dragon-types, most notably Dragapult from using it as setup fodder.

:ss/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
Since my team has yet to have any form of speed control, I decided Tapu Lele as my third Pokemon would nicely fit this role. Personally, I am a huge fan of Choice Scarf Tapu Lele over other forms of speed control as it offers decent counterplay against Dark-type teams, which usually would be an extremely lopsided battle due to that type's combination of a good defensive backbone and vicious offensive threats. Psychic and Moonblast are by default both important STAB moves for Tapu Lele. Focus Blast was selected to hit Steel-types that resisted both of Tapu Lele's STABs and deal massive damage against Tyranitar. As Tapu Lele was neither Choice Specs or Psyshock, Mantine would have an easy time switching into it, completely mitigating its presence in the Flying-type matchup; to counteract that, Thunderbolt was added to make mincemeat of Mantine and is very threatening in general for Flying-type teams.

:ss/bronzong:
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Iron Head
- Toxic
The fourth member of the team is our beloved bell friend, Bronzong. As the team still lacked any form of hazards, I decided that including one of Celebi, Jirachi, or Bronzong to carry Stealth Rock would significantly improve the team. The main reason I would choose Bronzong over the other options would be due to how incredible it can be in the Ground-type matchup. Usually, Choice Band Excadrill with X-Scissor is devastating for Psychic-type teams to deal with as one of its best physically defensive options, Slowbro is 2HKO'd with favorable odds under sand. Bronzong however, can switch-in and check Excadrill to a decent extent with newly released move this generation, Body Press; Bronzong's ability of doing this is crucial to winning the matchup as Tapu Lele and other teammates are able to gain enough turns to eventually blow a hole in the opposing team. Iron Head is to provide Bronzong with a form of STAB and was used over options for PP and consistency reasons. Toxic works great as a fourth move slot to punish switch-ins from Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Mantine who can shrug off Bronzong's attacks.

:ss/victini:
Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic
I picked Victini as the fifth team member to mainly improve the teams matchup with Flying-, Psychic-, Steel-, and Poison-type teams as well to provide Slowbro a strong wall breaker that it can consistently bring in. Like Slowbro, Heavy-Duty Boots allows Victini to be brought in more often without the worry of hazards, particularly Stealth Rock. V-create is Victini's strongest form of STAB and can deal sizable damage to even resistances. Bolt Strike hits Water-types like Mantine and Slowbro that attempt to switch into Victini's main form of STAB and has a useful secondary effect in a chance to paralyze. U-turn allows Victini to keep momentum up for the team and can help avoid 50/50s with either V-creating or Bolt Striking, Toxic allows Victini to annoy Pokemon that can switch into both of its main attacking moves and notably allows Victini to threaten Slowbro with a 2HKO using Bolt Strike after poison damage.

:ss/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog / Taunt
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
Finally, to round the team off, I chose Mew to be my sixth team member. As a result of my selection of Tapu Lele instead of Latias as my speed control, the current team has no form of hazard removal. To compensate for that, I decided to run the standard stall breaker Mew, replacing Taunt for Defog; this however is a personal preference and even without Defog, the team is not prone to hazards and can function well even without it. It should be noted that without Taunt, Pokemon like Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight will be much more difficult to deal with. As with the usual set, Knock Off is useful for removing items, Will-O-Wisp is great for crippling physical attackers like Excadrill and Urshifu-R while inflicting residual damage, and Roost is required for having reliable recovery.
Threat List.png

:dragapult: :corsola-galar: :mimikyu: :spectrier: :blacephalon: :aegislash:- Naturally, the Ghost-type matchup will be one of the most difficult ones and will be unwinnable against a competent opponent in almost every case. Ghost-type teams in general have numerous threats including, but not limited to Dragapult, Spectrier, and Aegislash that can sweep Psychic-type teams at any point and on the flip side face no immediate danger.

:urshifu: :bisharp: :moltres-galar: :hydreigon:- Even with the addition of Tapu Lele, the Dark-type matchup can be a uphill battle; Tapu Lele is constantly forced out by faster Choice Scarf users like Urshifu-S and Hydreigon, resulting in your Pokemon being sacked one after another. Setup like Bisharp and Moltres-Galar can also be difficult to play against as poorly handled turns can instantly result in a lost to one of these threats. Managing each turn well and making full use of Tapu Lele is required to have even a decent chance of winning the matchup.

:crawdaunt: :slowking: :slowbro: - While in most cases the Water-type matchup will be smooth sailing, in the event that there is a Crawdaunt, the matchup can quickly turn downhill. Water-type teams generally have a considerable amount of support options; backed by a Crawdaunt, each U-turn, Flip Turn, or Volt Switch can easily lead to a kill. In the event that a Slowking or to a lesser extent Slowbro is also on the team, the team will face trouble breaking fast enough, resulting in Crawdaunt claiming kill after kill through Teleport support.

:regieleki: :zeraora:- Though Electric-type teams have just as many threats to deal with that you do, their offensive threats can steamroll out of control much quicker. Without a Ground-type, Regieleki under terrain can quickly OHKO one Pokemon after another without facing any risk; Zeraora clicking Plasma Fists is a problem for a similar reason, especially if banded, though this is much more manageable.

:shuckle: :galvantula: :volcarona: :heracross: :buzzwole:- The hyper offensive oriented style of play Bug-type teams typically have alongside the fact that Bug-type STAB will always hit at least neutrally can easily overwhelm the team. Victini and Slowking-Galar are both required to be healthy for checking Buzzwole, Heracross, and Volcarona; the fact that both Victini and Slowking-Galar are overloaded with roles in this matchup makes the situation unfavorable.

:aegislash: :bisharp:- Offensive Steel-type threats that are Aegislash and Bisharp have the potential to be very disastrous for the team. Though Slowking-Galar is able to switch into special attacking Aegislash, physical attacking variants will have no trouble KOing it along with the rest of the team. Similarly, the team has no reliable switch-in for Bisharp and requires for it to be checked offensively; careful play is required to not lose to either of these threats.
Importable.png

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Sassy / Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Earthquake
- Future Sight

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Teleport
- Slack Off
- Ice Beam

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Body Press
- Iron Head
- Toxic

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Toxic

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
Notable Replays.png

Star vs. Lilburr - MWP Week 7
Star vs. kythr - MWP Semi Finals Tiebreaker
Myself vs. Isza - LTPL Week 4
Myself vs. yedla - LTPL Week 6
Conclusion.png

With all things considered, I believe that this team is extremely well suited towards the current Monotype metagame and has results to back it up with a fun twist that is Slowking-Galar. The team offers a strong defensive core with solid offensive options to back it up; while admittedly a few matchups will be an uphill battle, this team has the potential to win against nearly anything other than Ghost-type teams. I hope that everyone who has some sort of interest towards Monotype ends up giving this team a shot.
Shoutouts.png

Wyn - one of my first friends from the Monotype community, even though I only began talking to you after basically your retirement, you've been a great influence on my life and someone who I've always looked up to as a person. You've always known how to cheer me up and I hope that you're enjoying the best of life with whatever you're busy with now

Decem - even though you're a clown a majority of times, I've had such a good time being around you. Whether it be our late night headassery, the furry anime streams, or when we're just playing mons, everything has been so enjoyable. You're one of my favorite people on my site as of now and someone i can just talk to about whatever

Floss - i barely remember how i started interacting with you, but you've become someone i can never stray away from when trying to get thoughts on a team. You're one of the people i can't stop looking up to as a teambuilder even when you bring up some of the craziest ideas

Z Strats - who knew we'd grow so close after i randomly asked you for dou advice, but i'm so glad i had done so. I can't stop talking to you about something in a daily basis whether it be about anime or if im just venting. Anyways you've become a great part of my daily life

Vaboh - my fellow zoomer with a sleep schedule just as fucked up, ive enjoyed talking to you ever since we first interacted in cpl after i choked as fuck, you've been a huge help to everything i've done in ou whether it be with teams or general knowledge, i really hope that we can meet up irl sometime

Attribute - even though i dont act like it, i really appreciate everything you've done for me when i first came into the mono community, you're a player i look up to alot even if your results dont show it, just need you to be more openly nice..

Leru - another one of the players i look up to the most, you've given me so many opportunities as a player and encouragement in more ways than you know. even though i have no idea how we started talking, i love all the clown shit you pull off regardless of what its about even when you're snaking dn

FU SHUN HA - if i had one word to describe you as id just call you a goober. the shit you do is hilarious and i just love seeing the situations you get yourself into. first time i met you during mono blt i thought you were good at mons but now LMFAO..

Waylaid - one of my first friends on ps in general and the few i met in real life, even though we don't really talk as much nowadays, i've always enjoyed your presence and hope that we can reconnect

Mateeus - even though you keep slandering me and i you, i enjoy your presence for what it is. go staravias

MetaRiolu7 - finally someone else around my age group.. i usually just have fun goofing around with you but OH MY GOD you are bad at brawl stars, anyways super nice how relaxed you are and laidback with things

Splash - thanks so much for being my tutor; i've learned so much from you and improved so much as a player, i wish you the best for the future even if you kind of just disappeared

Maple - even though you're the biggest snake i know and always keep clowning on me, you're still enjoyable to be around. 2019 dugza really a different breed though :joy:

Kev - even though you are SO openly rude to me i know its just tough love.. <3

Namranan - hearing stories about when you were still tiny is golden OML the shit that goes on is so unbelievable..

Felines - i just met you a week ago but i already know we'll be good friends my twin.

LuckyPiper - even though you win one tour game every team tour, i still love you for your personality and easygoing attitude

Dieu Amphibien - love you for the crazy shit you do, really brightens the mood and my day

Stareal - i just want you to know that you're terrible at mons and literally donated every single series you play.

umbry - we've talked only a bit but im so glad i had z strats introduce me you've been very fun to talk to and god bless you are so good at every tier

Isza - knew the shit you do would be funny from the first interaction we had, the tomfoolery shit you pull off with attribute is pure comedy to read (you are objectively better at mons though), excited to keep seeing how far you'll keep going after being unbanned

Fylkir Pudin - thanks for being you xD.

And to everyone else, its 4:30 am and my brain stopped functioning long ago and maybe ill get back to this later but i just want you guys to know that meeting all of you has made my experience on smogon so much more fun and thanks alot for that crucify ez Brisked Chaitanya K3ppr dahli emma Expulso Fakee Confide Aliss adjustments Conflux Ewin maroon Boat avarice Hys Sabella Ridley gorex Perish Song miraage TioDragonite Chiles Habaneros jonfilch Arai kythr ojr Maskun DEG Cell Sensei Axew Seo. Ainzcrad Roxiee Izaya sorry if i missed anyone

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)