Made Of Steel- Steelix Discussion

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/208.shtml

This Iron Steel can wall a whole lot of types espcially when it can call moves like thunder wave and toxic. He can also wall things like hidden power ice or grass.

Base Stats

HP: 75
Attack: 85
Defense: 200
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 65
Speed: 30

Physical Movepool

Thunder Fang
Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Crunch
Double Edge
Rock Tomb
Earthquake
Explosion
Stone Edge
Iron Tail
Rock Slide
Rock Blast

Special Movepool

Dragonbreath
Dragon Pulse
Dark Pulse
Flash Cannon

Support Movepool

Rock Polish
Sandstorm
Screech
Roar
Protect

Heres a moveset i would give steelix

Steelix @Leftovers
Impish Nature (40 HP/176 ATk/156 DEF/138 Special Def)
Trait: Sturdy
- Crunch/Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

Crunch is for psychics like cresselia and slowbro. Stone edge against flying pokemon. Explosion can come really handy when steelix simply is at the end of its ropes or if he has a hard time KOing someone. Earthquake for stab.

So lets discuss about steelix

gets gyro ball by TM and its a slow fuck so most of the time your getting the max BP of 150

gets gyro ball by TM and its a slow fuck so most of the time your getting the max BP of 150
Shame that Steel is a terrible attacking type, though.

Do you think Gyro Ball would do significant damage because of STAB and the aformentioned slowness of Steelix? Or would it need to be SE to do anything due to that 75 Base in Attack?

I never found room for Gyro Ball really. I like running Earthquake/Stone Edge and there were always two moves I wanted more. I agree with Steel sucking for attacking.

Steelix was from 3rd gen and will be in this gen as well, a physical tank. That said, no need for the SDef EVs.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 Def / 162 Atk / 96 HP (I'm not that great with EVs so see to change however you see fit)

-Explosion
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Toxic

Toxic if the opponent switches. Stone Edge for Gyara. EQ for stab. Explosion when Hp is low.

When I used Steelix in ADV, I used it as a physical wall, to wall Electric types, and as a phazer. I don't know how much of that will change in DP.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Trait:Sturdy
250 hp/ 250 defense/ 10 sp. defense

-Explosion
-Earthquake
-Screech
-Toxic
>_>

I'd think Steelix could actually do with some Sp DEF EV's.

Miro, pouring EV's in HP helps Steelix more as pouring them in DEF. The DEF EV's won't make as much difference due to Steelix's already kinky DEF, whereas the HP EV's will patch up his mediocre HP to respectable levels. A bunch of Sp DEF EV's will make him being able to take stuff like Ice, Psychic and Grass special hits with not as much problems. Sure, you have to keep it away from Fire and Water but that's a given.

I'm leaning to the old stuff again. Roar/Earthquake/Double Edge/Explosion, something akin to that. Double Edge can always be changed, maybe Gyro Ball...but this Steelix does work, just gets walled senseless by Gengar. But eh, it ain't a sweeper anyway.

I usually run max HP/270 Atk/rest in Sdef, because imo Steelix' defence is high enough. Helps him hit a bit harder too. Rapid Spin on Steelix would rule, especially with it's 4x resistance to Stealth Rock.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
That was a creative title... Steelix is good for stopping random Electrics, however; it's actually the only thing that takes on HP Ice and Grass equally well unless you want to use Camerupt.

I think gyro ball would actually be great over double-edge on lou cypher's set. With the STAB, it's probably going to do more than double edge, and at least it can hit something SE (like TTar).

Steelix could do with some sp. def; I may be wrong but the standard in advance used 136 evs to give Steelix a nice even 200 in sp. def. However, he isn't meant to attack just because he has a semi-decent physical movepool. Here's what I ran.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 46 Atk / 76 Def / 136 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roar
- Earthquake

Pwah, steelix. I don't see why some people put him with sweeping sets; he's not going to be hitting anything hard against a good players. "It can hit Tyranitar with Gyro Ball" sure, but who the heck is gonna leave out a Ttar against Steelix? To end it all -

Sweeper Steelix meets BULKY WATER!
Sweeper Steelix gets owned in the face!

Forry walls physically better, gets spikes and rapid spin, and can still go boom afterwards. Steelix can...say what, again? Stealth Rock? Bah. Use Swampert.

I would consider a Choice Band set because he really is overly passive. Maybe EQ/ Gyro Ball/ Stealth Rock/ (Ice Fang/ SE) @ CB.

It might work seeing as chances are you aren't going to need to switch attacks that often, you'll mostly just come in on a physical CBer and EQ the switch to a special attacker, then hop out, so why not get as much damage done to that special attacker as possible.

Missing Lefties recover kind of sucks though.

do you think Steelix has potential in a Trick Room team?
definitely. It's the slowest of the slow, and can explode whatever might kill your trick roomer. And I'm pretty sure Gyro Ball will still be 150 base power even if trick room is in play.

You might have to give it Choice Band though. I just remembered Trick room teams are for sweeping.

definitely. It's the slowest of the slow, and can explode whatever might kill your trick roomer. And I'm pretty sure Gyro Ball will still be 150 base power even if trick room is in play.

You might have to give it Choice Band though. I just remembered Trick room teams are for sweeping.
Lol, completely forgot about Explosion.... The bad thing with Steelix is that he really doesn't have a good attack stat.

Steelix gets Double Edge too, which comes in handy. He can moderately hurt stuff but you can't expect him to sweep anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)