"Magic" number of HP

When looking at Smogon's analyses I found most of the HP spreads fairly random. I think we can allow us to be a little bit more efficient in following some simple guidelines.

SR, Spikes, Leech Seeds, Sandstorm, Hail, poison, burn; almost any kind of passive damage falls under the "sixteenth part" rule, so does Leftover and Black Sludge and other healing abilities like Rain Dish and Poison Heal. The damage or the healing increases for every sixteenth of your HP. Still, many player tend to put maximum HP on their walls, some people hit the sixteenth exactly.
I dare to say: Both ways aren't perfectly efficient - though latter ones are on the right track.
Because the damage will be round down when you don't hit the sixteenth, actually you should exceed the sixteenth by one health point. It allows you to survive one more turn without wasting EV in HP. One pretty blunt example: A SR weak one without Leftover actually can switch in four times without dying (that's secured with the "keep your HP in odd numbers" rule, too, but more later).
Those are some of the magic numbers: 305, 321, (337), 353, 369, 385, 401, etc.
However, there are three expections: 338 HP, and 404, 405 HP.
First one is to survive Seismic Tosses and Night Shades one more round than usual. Mons with 338 or more HP plus Leftover will survive five Tosses with only 1 left; of course this number is even, so you will build up fewer substitutes but in that case you are fine with 337 anyway, because you won’t get hit directly. 404 is for those base 100 Mons, who can form 101-subs but can’t exceed 404. If you don’t want to sub, 401 is fine but 405 HP is better for those who want to and can have that much HP as it allows more subs. From this we can conclude to next rule.

Keep your HP in odd numbers I have mentioned before: That rule applies to any situation the "fourth part rule" is; to SR weak Pokemon and to Substitute user. Having an odd number of HP allows them, to switch in more or to build up more subs (four times without leftover), with only a mere part of their health left.
There is an expection: if you want use stat-raising berries or want to trigger abilities like Blaze and Swarm, you can and should keep your HP even because taht way your berry/ability will be activated after you have lost 3/4 of your HP, ergo after three instead of four subs.
Often the second rule is covered by the first one, but some player carelessly put one HP in some glass cannons. One more point actually can cause more trouble occasionally than help; minimal, but present - better put it somewhere else, because the damage can be much more crucial when using Life Orb sweeper.

The Life Orb introduced in the 4th gen is a bit odd, because it doesn't work with the "sixteenth part". As it lowers your HP every round by the tenth part of the maximum, you may have expected it: having a zero at the end of your maximum HP can't be good. If you follow the second rule, you won't have problem; many Life Orb run minimin HP, so at 31 IV it shouldn't cause troble anyway.
There actually are some Mons in this meta those minimum HP is XX9, those, whose base HP has a four or a nine in the end (74, 79, 84, 89, 94, etc.): Ferrothorn, (Thundurus), Empoleon, Landorus, Golurk and Amoonguss.
From those only Thundurus (now uber), Landorus and Empoleon (UU) may run Life Orbs. Good, that the Smogon analysts put the remaining four EV in something else than HP to keep the Life Orb recoil low. For those who accidently do that, here again: Better don't dump the last for EV into HP.

Coclusion:

1. The optimal number of HP exceeds the sixteenth part by one.
2. Having an odd number of HP allows one to lower 1/4 of one's HP (via sub or super effective Stealth Rocks) more often without dying than having an even number.
3. Life Orb user shouldn't have their HP being a divider of ten - a rule only for Thundurus and Landorus (and Empoleon occasionally).

Special sitiations:

- Having their HP at 338 or higher plus Leftover makes you survive Seismic Toss and Night Shade five times instead of four times.
- 405 is the optimum for those who want to create 101-subs.
- Alls those base 100, who want to create 101-subs, have to use 404.
- If you want to trigger berries or abilities like Torrent and Overgrow should use an even number of HP.

This is a decent guide, but a minor nitpick, for targeting Pinch Berries, the HP needs to be divisible by 4, not just 2. Also, Pinch abilities trigger at 1/3 of max HP, so it doesn't matter for them.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/ev_distribution

This article has a section on this. I'm not a massive fan of it, as it makes everything unnecessarily complicated with formulae, but it should provide information on this subject. If it turns out that this information is better than that in the guide it can be incorporated. Also, if you think there is something wrong with a specific moveset, post here and it can be fixed.

I'm not sold on the multiple of 16 + 1 idea. Are you worried about you pokemon dying solely to residual damage, since that seems highly unlikely, or am I missing something? Also, it is often better to ignore leftovers numbers in favour of a spread that simply offers better defenses. Having 15 more HP can make a very big difference.

The formulae make it brainlessly simple to just plug into a calculator instead of, y'know, figuring it out. If anything, it's too wordy.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Cape you just put it into a the PO teambuilder, a damage calc or something. That really is brainlessly simple. Due to the formulae the article is missing some important content. By the way, when he expresses the formulae in words, they're still formulae.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Leftovers numbers are dramatically overrated. To get to exactly divisible by 16, you often have to lower your HP, which has the effect of reducing your defensiveness and making you slightly less likely to survive a hit. It's not like you are penalized for being over exact divisibility by 16.

I tried to catch the whole thing more general than the article you name - precisely the sub article "Distributing EVs for correct HP". The conclusion is a bit different: they came to (16), I came to "16+1"; while in general the win of HP is minimal, it could make a difference depending on if one survive one more switch in to move or to receive a wish, especially in this meta full of entry hazards.
Of course we are free to ignore both guides, right? It doesn't make me or someone else worse (^^)b

By the way, it's even possible to turn everything I wrote upside down: If someone uses 16+15, he increases the amount of HP he has with minimum residual damage. But that's only for Little Cup, where the difference actually shows up.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
When using a move that heals you by half your max HP (especially Wish), it is sometimes a good idea to have your HP at a number at 16x+(6 or 7) or so if you are worried about 1/8 passive damage or even up to 16x+(14 or 15) in a sandstorm, etc. Divisible by 4 only really matters if you are SR-weak or are sub-stalling or something. In that case, being divisible by 4 is a problem. If you don't give a lick about passive damage and have leftovers (like Ferrothorn), 16x is not a problem at all. Just under 16x minimizes passive damage (and lefties recovery), just under 10x minimizes LO recoil, etc.

For every leftovers number, there is like a scale of goodness that goes up and up, then suddenly drops off at a certain point (in a sense). There is also a difference between if you are maximizing bulk or just wondering where to put those 4 extra EVs. It is really a case-by-case basis, and it is usually just a matter of choosing between 248 or 252 HP EVs. There are some tricky situations like if you want 101 subs or are doing a Stallrein sort of thing, but generally is not too hard to figure out what would be optimum. Just reasonably avoid the bad HP numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)