Gen 1 Magmar (UU->NU Partial Rewrite) [QC 1/1] [GP 1/1]

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
This is one of multiple UU Minis that are being downgraded to NU with the section being made available for analyses. These are low priority and should be treated as such.

[OVERVIEW]
Magmar is one of many Fire-types in RBY NU and is unfortunately outclassed by more popular picks such as Charizard, Moltres, and Rapidash, all of which offer much more than Magmar does for a team thanks to their access to Fire Spin. While Magmar may appear to have a niche thanks to its fantastic movepool, its low stats, bad typing, and surprisingly limited coverage hold it back in the metagame. Magmar is also very frail, taking massive damage from physical attacks, making Pokemon like Kabutops and Golem frightening foes to face. Ergo, Magmar is not recommended for conventional RBY NU teams.

[SET]
name: Confuse Ray + 3 Attacks
move 1: Confuse Ray
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Body Slam / Submission

[SET COMMENTS]
Fire Blast is Magmar's best STAB move and has a useful 30.1% chance to burn, making potential checks like Kingler and Kabutops less inclined to switch in. Psychic can 3HKO Nidoqueen and Nidoking, which can be improved by Special drops. Body Slam makes use of Magmar's Attack and can paralyze an opposing Pokemon like Mr. Mime, which works well in tandem with Confuse Ray to potentially give it more breathing room. Alternatively, Submission can be used over Body Slam to 2HKO Raticate, as well as 3HKO Clefable and Porygon.

Magmar's wide movepool makes it pretty customizable. Counter can be used to make Raticate and Clefable take massive damage for using their STAB moves, or any Pokemon using Body Slam as coverage. Hyper Beam is a viable alternative to Body Slam, letting Magmar more convincingly beat physically frail Pokemon like Mr. Mime. Finally, Toxic over Confuse Ray firmly prevents Dragonair from sweeping with AgiliWrap if it attempts to use Magmar as setup fodder.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Reeece, 508601]]
- Quality Checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315], [pacattacc, 520967]]
- Grammar Checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited:

pac

pay 5000, gg?
is a Contributor Alumnus
DapperDuck.png
Hello! I am here to give feedback on the Fire Duck!
DapperDuckMirrored.png

....aaaaaand I really don't have much to say here. I've been staring at this for like 20 minutes, and I got nothing. Not exactly a noteworthy Pokemon, so there's not much to say beyond what you put, good job. I'll go ahead and give this a QC 1/1.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
[OVERVIEW]
Magmar is one of many Fire-types in RBY NU and is unfortunately outclassed by more popular picks such as Charizard, Moltres, and Rapidash, all of which offer much more than Magmar does for a team thanks to their access to Fire Spin. While Magmar may appear to have a niche thanks to its fantastic movepool, its low stats, bad typing, and surprisingly limited coverage hold it back in the metagame. Magmar is also very frail, taking massive damage from physical attacks, making Pokemon like Kabutops and Golem frightening foes to face. Ergo, Magmar is not recommended for conventional RBY NU teams.

[SET]
name: Confuse Ray + 3 Attacks
move 1: Confuse Ray
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Body Slam / Submission

[SET COMMENTS]
Fire Blast is Magmar's best STAB move and has a useful 30.1% chance to burn, making potential checks like Kingler and Kabutops less inclined to switch in. Psychic can 3HKO Nidoqueen and Nidoking, which can be improved by Special drops. Body Slam makes use of Magmar's Attack and can paralyze an opposing Pokemon like Mr. Mime, which works well in tandem with Confuse Ray to potentially give it more breathing room. Alternatively, Submission can be used over Body Slam to 2HKO Raticate, as well as 3HKO Clefable and Porygon.

Magmar has a wide movepool that makes it surprisingly Magmar's wide movepool makes it pretty (lmk if i'm missing smth and feel free to tinker, but movepool being the reason it "may appear to have a niche" makes this feel not so surprising) customizable. Counter can be used to make Raticate and Clefable take massive damage for using their Normal STAB, STAB moves, or any Pokemon using Body Slam as coverage. Hyper Beam is a viable alternative to Body Slam, letting Magmar more convincingly beat physically frail Pokemon like Mr. Mime. Finally, Toxic can be used over Confuse Ray to firmly prevent over Confuse Ray firmly prevents (I imagine there's not an undue certainty issue here, but lmk if there is) Dragonair from sweeping with AgiliWrap if it attempts to use Magmar as setup fodder.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Reeece, 508601]]
- Quality Checked by: [[Plague von Karma, 236353], [phoopes, 96315], [pacattacc, 520967]]
- Grammar Checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

can'tread.gif
1/1, lul that i was already in credits

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)