SM OU Magnezone + Grassy Terrain Bulky Offense

Introduction
Welcome to my RMT! This would be my third rmt, and I thank everyone who's rated my teams and helped me grow as a player. Building my own teams has greatly increased my confidence and elo, and I appreciate all feedback. If my team is terrible, tell me so I can know to click the little trash can button.
Also quick look and import: https://pokepast.es/efd170b1c158a55d
Building Process

250px-462Magnezone.png1200px-787Tapu_Bulu.pngkartana.png
I wanted to build around Grassy Terrain with magnezone support to remove threats to Bulu and (Scarf) Kartana such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. I've seen this done before but wanted to try my hand in building my own team around this three mon core of sorts. I'd also planned to have Av bulu so my terrain could be up more 'cause of its stupid bulk.
1423894048808.pngToxapex.png
I wanted a more defensive core, a fire and another ground (((resist))) in pex and lando-t. I know it's pretty much a meme that if your defensive core isn't the S rank you're doing something wrong, but I also wanted toxic spike support and a way to check hawlucha (as long as its not roost, haze pex+helmet lando can check it pretty well if they're above half).
Mega_Gallade.png
For my last slot, I wanted a mega that was fast and could break things as a wincon. Honestly, not much fufills that criteria in ou or bl, but I went with Mega Gallade. I love gallade, and I'm sad that it's not... that good. This is the mon that I think is probably gona begone by the time my team has been rated but... :/ Zone does provide support for this mon, because steela is annoying and skarm walls this unless it's +6.
The Sets

Magnezone @ Steelium Z
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
Magnezone is one of the 3 mons I wanted to build around. I used the substitute steelium set, but in testing I noticed my team really wanted volturn and often lacked the momentum and good offense team should have. Steelium allows me to trap mega mawile and OKO it (though the lack of substitute hurts with sucker punch) nuke lando-t, which is outsped if it's defensive due to my timid nature, and hit electric resists like m-venu. This mon traps celesteela, skarmory, and a choicelocked kartana. Sacred sword will oko me, though. It's kartana, what did you expect.
Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 128 SpD / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness
This is the standard smogdex set. BUT SENIOR, DUMMY, SMOGDEX SET IS SO MUCH FASTER!!1
Yes, it is. I removed the speed evs and put them in spdef because ttars don't run max speed adamant, and the whole 220-230 benchmark fell flat for me. If landos want to outspeed the smogdex set, they will. Besides, the spdef evs help with walling lando-t if it's not z move or explosion. Hp ice does like 20. Superpower hits a weakened celesteela (but honestly I'll only ever click that if zone is gone), chansey, and ferrothorn. The evs allow me to 2ko clefable with nature's madness into wood hammer, and the speed evs allow me to outspeed ttar's that aren't mega or... unsets.
Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Defog
Scarf Kartana is a very good cleaner in the current metagame, especially if I can trap steel types with zone. You're probably tired of hearing me say that by now. Leaf blade is a very abusable stab in terrain, while smart strike provides a secondary stab to hit faries and provide neutral coverage. Originally, this was knock off but pinsir became an issue for my team, so I went with the good old dual stab. Sacred sword hits steels and mons like chansey. Standard coverage+defog for webs or hazard stacking mons.
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze
- Recover
Oh boy, pex. I added pex to check ash gren (and normal gren) who could abuse kartana's piss poor spdef to get a free kill/ash form. Max hp+max spdef allows it to blanket check so many special attackers, t-spikes allows pokemon that can force switches or tank hits to go crazy, annoying mons like fini who often gets to defog a lot because of its good bulk. Haze is for setup mons like kartana (as a last-ditch effort), hawlucha, clefable, you know the deal. Recover allows me to brush off hits, and even if I get flinched down by an aspiring ash gren, I can just switch out into bulu to get regen. Digusting mon, I know.
Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 20 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
Lando-T provides me rocks, momentum, and a check to setup or regular lando. The 20spdef will help lando out vs non specs koko and other landos. 8 speed is for modest zone, I honestly see no use in participating in this fast-lando trend. BACK IN MAH DAY LANDOS RAN RELAXED FOR HP ICE. Eq, while hurt by my terrain, is still a very good stab move and something mandatory on a lando. Hp ice hits lando and kartana, uturn allows me to get in sweepers such as kartana or my gallade.
Gallade-Mega @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
Yea, gallade's not great. But zone support helps it. It has very nice bulk for a sweeping mon. Its speed tier is actually really nice 'cause it outspeeds new pokemon such as kartana and the newer blacephelon. Knock off bops mew, swords dance provides a nice wincon for me, while zen headbutt and close combat provide a pretty nice combination, shrugging off pex and faries after an sd.
Edit: Oops, forgot a threatlist
Charizard-X is a big threat, I find it hard to revenge kill if it's dragon dance. But that's uncommon so hey.
M-Pinsir is also a big threat. It's priority rips into my team like a hot knife and butter. However, I can deal with it after a bit of lando-t helmet chip with kartana or live on quick attack with gallade.
Stall isn't bad, but it's annoying. Then again, when's it not.

Hopefully you have success if you use this team, thanks for reading and thanks in advance to you folks who rate, kudos to you for being so friendly and helpful. Or honest. :] I've been laddering this up on my main and alts, here's some screencaps of my accounts right now. I know, typical 1500s player.
Screenshot (1124).png

Screenshot (1125).png

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello! Just got some little ideas u might find helpful.

Fitting a knock off lure helps with skarmory for shed shell. U can consider fitting it onto uhh kartana. Set is leaf blade/sacred sword/knock/defog or smart strike, ur team isn't particularly weak to hazards anyways.

Should consider running more speed on your landot, id say this is important cuz gallade gets walled by landot it helps a lot if u get a faster hp ice off to chunk it. Recent rmts like the ultraballz 1 was where the landot had like 60 spe or so so anything more than will be good.

Lack of flying resist might be a problem, if zone is scarf u can bait pinsir but i can see steelium z really helps out with opposing landot so idk if thats a good idea off me to suggest a change, just thot id point that out.

Gallade usually is quite nice with scarf tapu lele and something to handle blacephalon so u dont get wrek by it, also something i thot id mention. Dnt wanna be doing anymajor changes to ur team tho.

hey, pretty cool team you have built. i really like that magnezone + kartana core because of how good it is and i feel like people are underestimated magnezone. for the weaknesses, i found an important weakness to zapdos. you actually have nothing to deal with it so that's a bit problematic imo. m-pinsir, as you notified, is also a threat. since your flying resist is slower than it, it can just sd predicting a switch and start sweeping. lastly, mega venusaur seems a very annoying pokemon for this team because the only mon able to KO it is m-gallade but it doesn't have recovery and can't switch into m-venu's moves. i'm gonna make some suggestions that might help the team.

major change

>
i think this change could be really helpful for your team. first, it helps against some threats such as zapdos and mega venusaur. then, as you said, mega pinsir is hard to deal with and that mega latios can provide some speed control as well as outspeeding it. last thing, mega latios really likes the magnezone support because it removes mons like ferrothorn and celesteela while mega latios can remove heatran by luring it with earthquake which is great for both magnezone and kartana.

minor changes

>
as you may notified, choice scarf magnezone would be more helpful than z move magnezone because with it, you would have a fast votl switch and you could revenge kill things like kartana easier. not to mention that it provides some speed control and a great way to deal with mega pinsir.

knock off > smart strike
as weirdo faye suggested, knock off is always something nice to have and since you dont have m-gallade anymore, knock off over smart strike seems good. it removes the item of annoying pokemon such as toxapex, lando-t, celesteela, etc and then it'll be easier to deal with them.

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 8 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Defog

Thanks both of you, I like these changes, being able to drop JUICY dracos on mons free of steal is fun. I was reluctant on double scarf at first but for an offensive team like this its been putting in work. Smart strike was only there for pinsir, so now that I have scarf zone I don't have to worry about that. Thanks to both of you, my team feels very solid now.
Happy new year to anyone reading <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)