Other Metagames Make A Wish! (Triple Genie Mono-Flying, peaked 1639)

Make A Wish!

Introduction

Hey there, Technetium43 here with a rather... unexpected RMT. To say that I and Pokemon Showdown have had a checkered past would be somewhat of an understatement, as I have left and come back more times than I can count due to the overwhelmingly toxic community. However, occasionally I'll come back and do some UU or Monotype teambuilding, and ladder up until I lose. Except this time I just... didn't end up losing. This team is, as of the time of writing (and I have no intention of changing this), completely undefeated. Unfortunately, I didn't expect it to end up doing particularly well, so I only saved one replay. It has achieved by miles the highest peak I've gotten on any ladder, mono or otherwise, and has been incredibly enjoyable to play.

Teambuilding Process

The core idea that this team was built around was a triple incarnate genie core. To be honest, this was less about an actual efficient analysis of them as core together, and more of a 'hey I wonder if I can make a good team with this'.

Stallbreaker Gliscor was my first addition to the team, being one of my favorite sets and general and providing a potent wall and wincon versus a number of different types and playstyles. In addition, it provides knock off support, which is incredibly appreciated, especially against the eviolite twins of normal.

To complement specially defensive Gliscor, provide hazard/defog support, and give an ice neutrality, there really was only one option: physically defensive Skarmory.

Originally in my mega slot, I had mixed defensive resttalk Mega Gyarados, however after finding it less than useful, I switched it to Mega Pidgeot, an incredibly underrated threat, as well as a great source of speed which my team had been sorely lacking.

This is the team in its final and current incarnation (pun absolutely intended). Definitely one of the more unique teams I've made, utilizing a number of unexpected threats with a solid defensive backbone in Gliscor and Skarmory.

The Team

Pan (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Rock Slide
- Sludge Wave

Genie number one, and certainly the most threatening of them, is Landorus. Having been banned from OU, you'd think the monotype metagame would be well prepared for it, but many people let this genie by in favor of his canine form, an absolutely criminal waste in my eyes. Rock Slide allows it to deal with Volcarona, Zapdos, Mega Pinsir, Zard Y, and other rock weak threats. Earth Power is obvious, but I chose to pass up Focus Blast in favor of two other coverage moves, Psychic and Sludge Wave. Psychic is incredibly helpful for mons like Gengar, Mega Venusaur, and pretty much every fighting type ever, and Sludge Wave is a godsend when faced with fairy monos. You can replace Psychic with Focus Blast if you find yourself having too many problems with Skarmory, however.

Ramuh (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Genie number two, and my main tool versus offense, is Thundurus. Prankster Thunder Wave is absolutely incredible, and clutch paras combined with the speed drop can absolutely save a match in the most dire of circumstances. Grass Knot and Hidden Power Ice are my main weapons against Ground monos, taking out Mamoswine, Hippowdon, Garchomp, Landorus, and Gastrodon with ease. I chose Leftovers over Life Orb as getting that one more turn or switch in can net me those clutch Thunder Waves, and the extra damage isn't exactly necessary for Thundurus to perform his job.

Caelus (Tornadus) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Bulk Up

Caelus (Tornadus) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Tailwind​

Originally a Rest Talk BU set, after some experimentation I found this set more useful. Taunt plus a monstrously powerful hurricane puts some serious pressure on stall and balance, u-turn gives momentum, and helps a lot against balance, and tailwind allows me to speed up my other mons in a last ditch effort, which can put quite a bit of pressure on offense.

Daedalus (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Now that we're out of genie territory, we come to some of the more standard mons. Swords Dance SpD Gliscor is one of my all time favorite sets, demolishing stall and walling a number of relevant threats. The speed EVs creep max speed base 60s, as well as Adamant Bisharp, and the defense EVs ensure that you live a +2 Life Orb Sucker Punch from an Adamant Bisharp, as well as a +2 Blackglasses Knock Off from a Timid Bisharp. The rest is dumped into HP until it hits a Toxic Orb number, and special defense.

Tyr (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Brave Bird

Ah, the great metal burd in the sky. A staple on all flying teams, this bulky bastard does his job just as he needs to. He provides hazard control, sets up rocks, causes chip damage on mons like Mega Medicham and Mega Lopunny, and in general soaks up hits.

Corvis (Pidgeot-Mega) (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Bird Jesus is a very helpful addition to the team, as his blessings of hax and removal of the mighty Lava God are an absolute godsend. Hurricane is ridiculously spammable STAB with 120 base power and a chance to confuse. Heat Wave provides much needed fire type coverage for the likes of Ferrothorn and Scizor, and U-turn gives momentum, also allowing me to do a decent chunk to certain checks like Cradily or Meloetta. Hidden Power Ground used to be Roost, but I found myself struggling an uncomfortable amount with Heatran, and added HP Ground to lure it in. It also takes care of Magnezone quite well, as Mega Pidgeot outspeeds even Scarfed variants after mega evolving.

Kyurem-Black: God this thing is a monster. With its powerful mixed BoltBeam coverage, I have a helluva time switching into it, my only hope being to outspeed it with both Mega Pidgeot and Landorus, taking it out, but losing one of my mons in the process. If it's scarfed, I have a slightly easier time, with proper prediction of course.

Mega Gardevoir: I have next to nothing to switch into this thing, and the only mon I have that can OHKO it is Landorus.

Keldeo: Again, I have very limited switchins to this, my best bet being Thundurus and Mega Pidgeot.

Unaware CM Clefable: If my Landorus gets knocked out, this thing has a field day with my team. It can set up on my Mega Pidgeot barring confuse hax, and everything else can do nothing to it.

Opposing Thundurus: Fast, powerful BoltBeam coverage, and an immunity to ground render this quite a threat to my team.

Pan (Landorus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Sludge Wave

Ramuh (Thundurus) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Caelus (Tornadus) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 152 SpD / 108 Spe
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Bulk Up

Daedalus (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 196 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Tyr (Skarmory) (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Brave Bird

Corvis (Pidgeot-Mega) (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Conclusion

This is in fact my first RMT, so if there are any glaring mistakes feel free to let me know. Also, I know the triple genie core is weird and that Tornadus is not exactly the optimal choice, but it is the heart of the team, and not exactly open to being changed. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and may all your wishes be granted. ;)​

Last edited:
Rly unique team! Again, I'd say get something that neutralizes you ice wakness, and maybe a better defogger, but I told you this stuff prior. I like that its unique tho, congrats on your peak! :)

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey mang nice team you got there. Here are a few changes I'd like to do:

Since you have Tornadus as a good Flying-type STAB user, you can run an ice resist in Mega Gyarados over Mega Pidgeot. Mega Gyarados gives you a nice Ice resist, and makes Choiced Kyurem-B think what move to use. Next up, I'd run a Skarmory with some Special EVs to not get 2HKOed by Specs Hyper Voice from Meloetta and Ice Beam from Latios. Also, it seems like you're gonna have a little breathing space when facing Fire-types so Rock Slide over CM on Landorus is suggested.

RAPTURE (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with Impish Nature

That's about it. Good luck!

Hey mang nice team you got there. Here are a few changes I'd like to do:

Since you have Tornadus as a good Flying-type STAB user, you can run an ice resist in Mega Gyarados over Mega Pidgeot. Mega Gyarados gives you a nice Ice resist, and makes Choiced Kyurem-B think what move to use. Next up, I'd run a Skarmory with some Special EVs to not get 2HKOed by Specs Hyper Voice from Meloetta and Ice Beam from Latios. Also, it seems like you're gonna have a little breathing space when facing Fire-types so Rock Slide over CM on Landorus is suggested.

RAPTURE (Gyarados) @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 68 SpD / 100 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD with Impish Nature

That's about it. Good luck!
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I tried the team out with these replacements and upped my peak a bit more, though eventually got bopped by a triple therian genie team, in an amusing twist. :P

Nice team I love the use of the three genies but is there something that could stop kyurem from just destroying the team and I really love this team just see a generic ice team stopping it in its track Thats all i need to say and Great Job on the team and your peak

Air Jak

Banned deucer.
Hey dude! I love this flying RMT as it takes a twist on the more generic bulkier standard flying of Zapdos/Skarmory/Togekiss core and makes it more offensive. I do however, have some suggestions that I think would be beneficial for your team.

Caelus (Tornadus) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn/Knock Off
- Taunt/Heatwave
- Tailwind/Super Power

You could add this to put some pressure on steel mons with the combination of super power and heatwave, psychic mons like meloetta and mew, and bulky mons like chansey and porygon2 knocking off their eviolites and severely weakening them.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute/Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Just a good ol' standard shrimp (that for some godly reason wants to be banned) you could add if you want more physical offense, replacing mega pidgeot. Sub good allowing set ups on certain mons, while taunt is also good preventing mons from whirlwinding you out or cripple you with status. The taunt variant could also do more damage against flying if you struggle against the SkarmDos Core

I'd also give Thundurus a life orb, for more attacking power, and give skarm max defense to wall and tank hits better.

Amazing team, and congrats on the peak dude!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)