Rejected Make permalocks say the user was permanantly locked from talking instead of saying locked from talking for a week

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
And same should go for blacklists. Instead of having it say the user is banned from the room, have it say the user is blacklisted from the room. And if another user said stuff like "Fuck you for blacklisting/permalocking him/her" or "UNBAN THAT USER RIGHT FUCKING NOW OR ELSE" then you can give them the appropriate punishment. If there is a reason as to why blacklists and permalocks are this way, please let me know. And yes they are that way, I have seen someone who ended up being permalocked ended up with locked for a week, and blacklists show up as bans. This is my very first thread in this forum so don't be surprised if it's laid out wrong or anything like that, though I certainly did not intend such if that is the case.

The weeklock and roomban isn’t the actual punishment, and means that a punished user is evading the punishment. The visible punishment is meant to prevent the user from causing anymore trouble, and allows the staff to give the evading user the punishment they should have. Also, blacklists and permalocks are hidden from regular users to prevent reactions to the punishment (I believe.) I still like the idea though.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
The weeklock and roomban isn’t the actual punishment, and means that a punished user is evading the punishment. The visible punishment is meant to prevent the user from causing anymore trouble, and allows the staff to give the evading user the punishment they should have. Also, blacklists and permalocks are hidden from regular users to prevent reactions to the punishment (I believe.) I still like the idea though.
I have a problem with the reasoning. You see, they'd find out they're blacklisted after 3 days, and permalocked after 8 or checking their profile, so they'd find out anyways and maybe evade it (I do not recommend though). And chances are if you are a RO, and especially if you are a global leader. Why I have been locked before (only once though) and during that lock I had asked a staff member as to why you can speak to them in PMs in the first place because they'd be the main bait for hate. He said that staff can take that hate bait. Now if that RO is only global voice, you can simply block PMs. Thanks for support though

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Someone asked me about this yesterday on PS actually and since I saw this here I thought I would re-iterate what I said here.

For permalocks, there is probably some confusion as to how they are issued and work. Most punishments are issued through a command such as /lock user, reason permalocks are a bit different however because they are designed to apply to ALL PS servers. To get this to work, permalocks are issued by setting a flag for the user on the login server (where you send your login request to when trying to login to PS) which is a different place than the actual server that handles chats and battles. When a permalocked user logs in, the server they are connecting to is notified by the login server and if they are not locked that server issues a 30 day lock with the reason "Permalocked as [name]". As a result of this if a user is set to permalocked and already online this won't be reflected until they reconnect to PS so usually a human moderator will start their permalock with a manual week lock which has the normal message. However do note the reason usually includes something along the lines of "You are now permalocked". If no reason is provided feel free to contact staff to ask questions.

For blacklists the confusion usually stems from a different source. Being a signifigant punishment like permalocks roomstaff will usually discuss blacklisting a user as a team before doing it. Sometimes this results in "blacklist them the next time we can/now" (1) or "nameblacklist them now" (2), other times it can be "blacklist them on their next offense (final chance)" (3), and of course there is also "they haven't done enough to warrent a blacklist" or maybe something else. All of the examples I listed can cause issues with what message is displayed to the user. #1 generally shows the right message, unless the user already has an active punishment or user object and is offline. If this is the case they can be blacklisted while they are offline resulting in them not seeing the message. The 2nd example is sometimes used when the first will not work, however it results in the blacklist not being IP based which isn't desirable. Also to note the 2nd only happens when the user is offline so they won't get the popup. The final point usually happens directly after another room staff member punishes the user (roomban usually at this point) and then contacts a Room Owner to issue the blacklist, also note the user may be offline. Basically, theres often an existing punishment issued before the blacklist that the user saw rather than the blacklist because BLs can only be issued by ROs and are not given out lightly.

Also to note: all users can block pms now and blacklists are not shown publically in chat anymore to prevent reactions from users when they are issued.

Hecate

Be the serpent under't
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmer
PS Admin
This seems pretty niche and not super worth it, considering staff can see the reason and the permalocked users can figure it out by the permanence of their lock. Rejecting this for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)