Make Tournament Substitutions automatic for Round 1 Matchups in Room Tours

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This idea is mostly stolen from Lutra's other Tour Command posts, which he stated them here.

How it would function :

- Once a tournament starts, players will be able to signup to tournament by either a command (like /tourlatejoin) or an additional signup window.
- The number of substitutions will be similar to the standard bracket numbers, so we won't allow huge number of substitutions. Granted only a few players will complain about missing a tour anyway. ( So like, a tour of 64 players would allow 6 substitutions max, since tour size threshold is 58 with byes.)
- If a player fails to send/accept the challenge before the autodq timer runs out, he will be kicked from the tournament and will be replaced with one of the substitutions.

What's the benefit of this? :

- Most Smogon open tours allow substitutions in round 1 in cases of low activity or not having enough signups. (Such as seasonals)
- It is a fact that people will miss room tours once in a while and complain in chat. It is also a fact that some tournament participants will forget they signed up for a tournament, and disqualify because of timer.
- So as a result, more games played, more activity, more participation, happier players.

So I believe its perfectly reasonable to replace those players with substitutions automatically, rather than doing it manually. It also doesn't have any drawbacks to see more games being played in a tournament, does it?

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think you didn't suggest anything new than what was either in this late join thread or could be easily deduced. Nevertheless it is good that you brought up the relation between the forum tournaments and PS! tournaments, that not everyone might be able to appreciate. I hope their functionality can be shared completely some day.

I disagree with the making it automatic suggestion:

The mode is not completely desirable because of the limited shuffling of whoever joins when the bracket is up.
which is why I suggested the setting in my post in that thread.

Perish Song

flaunt
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If a player is replacing an inactive player and there are ongoing battles, what is the point of shuffling the bracket? If you shuffle bracket after bye replacements, does that even count as a late join?

Lutra

Spreadsheeter by day, Random Ladderer by night.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Consider why the pairings are shuffled (out of order in which players sign up in) to begin with. It’s to both prevent you choosing your opponent, and make you have as little chance at predicting your opponent as possible. You are restricted to knowing it’s one player who joined the tournament, you aren’t told who it is. Everyone learns of their opponents at the same time. If you knew beforehand that it wasn’t shuffled, you could join at a specific moment to avoid a certain opponent or play an easier one. This will happen if you are one latejoiner going into one bye/sub-out or if there’s 2 byes/sub-outs, you know it’s 1 of 2 etc. If that room has a leaderboard, you could give yourself these seemingly small advantages repeatedly to benefit on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)