Make Your Own Regional Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this thread is in the wrong forum; it just seemed like the right place to post it. Feel free to move it if it's not.

Anyway, one thing I loved about Generation 7 was the introduction of Alola forms. To me, they helped to create newer, more interesting versions of Pokemon that were in dire need of some improvements. Thanks to them, Golem and Muk went from being boring to see every generation to interesting and new, Raichu and Sandslash finally stand out from other Electric- or Ground-types that used to completely eclipse them, Marowak was an already-decent Pokemon made fantastic, and Ninetales went from being one of my favorites from Gen 1 to being one of my favorites of all time. Personally, I'd love to see these forms come back in Gen 8, as well as see some new ones for the Galar region.

So, in this thread, feel free to come up with your own ideas for regional variants of already-existing Pokemon, as well as any other information you can about it (i.e. types, base stats, Abilities, new attacks, description of the design, a possible moveset, etc.). I'll give you a couple of my own to start (I won't pretend they'd become new competitive deities, but their main goal is just to be more unique from their original forms):

Flaming acorn:
Shiftry
Type: Grass/Fire
Base stats:
HP: 90
Attack: 80
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 110
Special Defense: 60
Speed: 80
Abilities: Chlorophyll, Flame Body, Pickpocket
New potential attacks: Fiery Dance, Fire Punch, Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Flame Charge, Flare Blitz
Design: Similar to a normal Shiftry, but a darker brown main body and with reddish-orange flames across the tips of the white tuft on its head.

Potential moveset:
-Nasty Plot
-Fire Blast
-Giga Drain
-Extrasensory / Hidden Power Ground
Nature: Timid
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Psychium Z / Firium Z
EV's: 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Yes, a Fire-type with Chlorophyll. This is basically a vamped-up Volcarona for Sun teams. STAB Fire Blast and Giga Drain function as you would expect them to. The last move can be used to get past one of its would-be checks: Extrasensory along with Psychium Z is there for Toxapex, while HP Ground is there for Heatran.

Toxic polar bear:
Beartic
Type: Ice/Poison
Base stats:
HP: 95
Attack: 130
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 70
Abilities: Slush Rush, Poison Touch, Swift Swim
New potential attacks: Sludge Wave, Sludge Bomb, Poison Jab, Gunk Shot, Venom Drench, Poison Fang, Venoshock, Toxic Spikes, Slack Off
Design: Slightly purpler tint to its overall body, with its icicle beard being larger, black, and drooping as if the icicles weren't fully solid.

Potential movesets:
-Icicle Crash
-Gunk Shot
-Throat Chop / Superpower
-Swords Dance
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Swift Swim / Slush Rush
Item: Life Orb / Icium Z / Poisonium Z
EV's: 252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Similar to the Beartic set already on the site, but with STAB Gunk Shot. Throat Chop is an option for Psychic-types, Superpower is one for Steel-types.

Another one:
-Toxic Spikes
-Gunk Shot / Icicle Crash
-Encore
-Slack Off
Nature: Impish
Ability: Swift Swim / Slush Rush
Item: Black Sludge
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Sp. Def

A defensive alternative I literally came up with off the bat as I was typing out this post. Realistically, I don't think regional Beartic would pull this off very well (especially not compared to Toxapex), but it has the advantage of being able to inflict damage on things thanks to its base 130 Attack stat.

I'd say that if you can, try to pick Pokemon that don't already have regional variants and/or Mega Evolutions, and aren't already staples of higher tiers - I'd suggest RU as the highest tier to pick from. And if you have an idea for a regional variant of a Pokemon that's already been posted, by all means share your own version of it as well. It's also fine to share thoughts on ones other people have posted if you want. Just don't post spam or denigrate other members.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Welcome to Orange Islands!

According to the OI rules, this forum is only for discussing the games the way they are, not the way you would like them to be. Wishlist threads in general are not allowed on Smogon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)