• Yes

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS JUST AN INTEREST THREAD, NOT A SIGNUP THREAD.

This tournament is to test a metagame with Wobbuffet, Deoxys-E and Manaphy. Most of you are accustomed to the idea of Wobbuffet and Deoxys-E on the Shoddy Ladder so this shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, what wasn't tested in that metagame was Manaphy, which I think Smogon and the Pokemon community will benefit from. These three Pokemon have a weird stigma with the community and I think we need more testing in this metagame in order to maybe lift that taboo or at least test this theory.

I dunno if you guys want to do Teams or just do Single Elimination from the get go. It seems that team tournaments take a little longer to start so I think that the single elimination does best.

one rule that I'm debating is that everyone that plays must at least pick from one Wobbuffet, Deoxys-E or Manaphy. I dont care if you have all three or not but since this a tournament in order to test these three pokemon in the current metagame I think this is fair. Ill leave it up to discussion to the rest of you guys.

The rules are pretty simple:

- Battles MUST be played on Shoddy Battle.
- Self-KO Clause - You cannot use moves like Explosion or Destiny Bond on your last Pokémon if it will force a tie.
- Sleep Clause - You can only put to sleep one Pokémon on an opponent's side at any time. If you use Spore to put one Pokémon asleep, you cannot use it again to put another Pokémon asleep until the first one wakes up.
- Freeze Clause - If at anytime two different Pokémon are frozen on a player's field, then the player that froze the two Pokémon loses.
- Evasion Ban - Moves that specifically increase evasion are banned. Double Team is an example of a banned move.
- OHKO Ban - Moves that have a chance of OHKOing a Pokémon are banned. An example is Sheer Cold
- No scouting. Period. I don't care if you watch other battles done by the other participants but I don't want to hear that so-and-so is stalking their opponent. Not happening.
- Battle Time Out MUST be on.

if I missed anything.. let me know. And for those for who aren't aware I talked with G80 about it and he already OKed this.

I think its a great idea and testing all 3 simultaneously seems to be the best way to go about things, idealy I'd like to see Lati@s allowed in this tournament as well since they some what "balance" out the offensive/stalling power of the other pokemon and also are currently in this "wierd stigma".

I agree with you in saying that this should be a single elimination tournament. Team tournaments take significantly longer and there isn't any real benefit from going with a team format.

I'm interested in this, would allow to test what they are like all together but I agree with Maniac, Lati@s would give this a more equal testing field and would be a follow up to the Eon Tournament.

This should be Single Elimination in order to speed up the information process

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i've been hoping for a manaphy test for a while. i'm definitely interested.

i'm not sure about requiring usage though. don't we want to see how they fair just in a standard environment?

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would play in it. Maybe Lati@s should be allowed to, just to balance everything out. Seems like a lot of extra sweepers without much stuff to wall them.

Even though I really don't like Manaphy I would play in the tournament to show how broken she is :)

Definitely interested. Though, would "Tickle" Wobbufet be allowed in this Tourney? What's the consensus on event moves?

Latias/Latios are too good to be in the standard metagame. 110 Base Speed out speeds everything not carrying Choice Scarf or is named Gengar. It has 1 Immunity to Ground, and resistance to Fighting,Electric,Grass, Fire and Psychic. It can wall efficiently with Calm Mind and Recover. It is also an effective sweeper with either Specs (since I presume were talking no Soul Dew) or with just the Calm Mind version. Latios can even use Choice Band or Dragon Dance toward the Attack oriented spectrum.

imo these three pokemon (arguably Wobb) don't compare to the three. Take a look at their move pools and stats and tell me that they are really comparable. Feel free to argue your points, I would like to hear them still but I dont think they will be in this tourney.

oh and about Tickle. I'm not too sure because it seems a bit sketchy that it even exists anywhere on wifi or anywhere outside Japan.

Latias/Latios are too good to be in the standard metagame. 110 Base Speed out speeds everything not carrying Choice Scarf or is named Gengar. It has 1 Immunity to Ground, and resistance to Fighting,Electric,Grass, Fire and Psychic. It can wall efficiently with Calm Mind and Recover. It is also an effective sweeper with either Specs (since I presume were talking no Soul Dew) or with just the Calm Mind version. Latios can even use Choice Band or Dragon Dance toward the Attack oriented spectrum.
This is only true from a theorymon point of view, i'm sure i could explain Tyranitar and Garchomp in this manner but they are currently OU, I believe the Eon thread in Policy Review should show a fair amount of reasoning to why they should be allowed in standard play

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37961

Either way this isnt a Lati@s discussion but i'd just like you to give it some thought about allowing them based on the amount of people that think they should also be allowed and not a simple bias against them =/

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm interested in this.

I also agree with Maniac. After seeing the results of the Eon Tournament, I'd like to test Lati@s in OU a little bit, alongside Wobbuffet, Deoxys-E and Manaphy, since they all kind of check and balance each other, as Maniac pointed out.

As far as Theorymon goes, lots of pokemon can be theoretically "to good" for OU, the only real way to test is through playing.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I agree with this tournament but would really like Lati@s without Soul Dew to be allowed as well.

The policy review thread sums up everything very nicely, and I think it would be best to test out a large tournament with ALL five viable.

By large I mean 64+, only because it would give us more of a relevant data pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)