Manaphy (QC 1/3)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
########
  • faces competition from other rain abusers but is still p. cool
  • tail glow is unique and makes it terrifyingly powerful
  • hydration also lets it use rest and wake up in one turn, while also healing off staus that could prevent it from sweeping
  • good bulk and typing to sweep too
  • downside is that manaphy's speed is middling
  • also tail glow, its main niche, is hard to set up in doubles since it's so fast-paced
  • also suffers from 4mss so it can be walled by common mons dependin on its set
  • still a baller tho

Tail Glow
########
name: Tail Glow
move 1: Tail Glow
move 2: Scald
move 3: Ice Beam / Energy Ball
move 4: Rest / Protect
ability: Hydration
item: Sitrus Berry / Wacan Berry
evs: 108 HP / 252 SAtk / 148 Spd
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Tail Glow boosts ur spa to insane heights
  • scald is main stab and has good neutral coverage + nifty burn chance
  • energy ball is to hit bulky waters such as rotom-w and jellicent that can take a scald
  • ice beam is another option for grass- and dragon-types like latios + amoonguss
  • rest is to grant full healing in a turn when rain is up
  • if you dont wanna go with rest, protect is a tried and true option

Set Details
========
  • ev spread outspeeds neutral base 100s and below and maximize power, with the rest goin in bulk
  • if you want a bulky spread an alternate spread is 248 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpA / 108 Spe @ modest. evs let you outspeed neutral base 70s while avoidin a 2hko from a mega kangaskhan's return at -1, with the rest of the evs being put into special atk
  • if you dont care about bulk a simple 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe @ timid nature spread works too. also note that this spread is manaphy's best chance against mega zard y, so if that threatens your team keep that in mind.
  • wacan is to let manaphy tank powerful electric-type attacks
  • since wacan will only come in handy when facing down an electric-type, sitrus is an option for more consistent healing
  • mystic water is an option for consistent powerup w/o recoil, but other items are typically better
  • rindo berry is an option to live through strong grass-type attacks but they arent as common as electric-type attacks so wacan is usually more useful

Usage Tips
========
  • manaphy can bust holes in opposin teams with powerful tail glow boosted attacks early/mid game
  • manaphy can also be saved till late-game to function as a powerful cleaner
  • if you predict your opponent is gonna give you a free turn by switchin out or somethin, use tail glow to boost
  • not that many chances to boost, so having a redirector or something that puts offensive pressure on the opponent is p. useful

Team Options
========
  • Politoed for Drizzle
  • Pokemon that can handle Grass- and Electric-type attacks such as Latios, Hydreigon, Thundurus-T, and Kyurem-B
  • Amoonguss since it can redirect Electric-type hits
  • Togekiss since it can redirect hits + set Tailwind to make Manaphy even more threatening
  • Pokemon such as Garchomp + Terrakion make for good partners to handle Mega Charizard Y, which can be problematic.

Other Options
########
  • Surf
  • Bulky support set
  • Light Screen and/or Reflect
  • Blizzard
  • Rain Dance
  • Calm Mind
  • Safety Goggles

Checks & Counters
########
  • Grass-types like Amoonguss, Shaymin-S, Mega Venusaur, and Ferrothorn
  • Electric-types like Rotom-Wash (if Manaphy lacks Energy Ball), Thundurus-T, and Mega Manectric (if Manaphy lacks Rindo Berry)
  • Dragon-types like Latios, Kyurem-B, and Hydreigon
  • Mega Charizard Y since Drought messes up Manaphy
  • Abomasnow handles all of Manaphy's attacks and removes Rain
  • Jellicent can potentially wall non Energy Ball Manaphy (although under Rain Jellicent can end up as setup fodder too)
  • Powerful Choice Scarf users like Genesect could outspeed and mess up Manaphy, as can fast Pokemon in general

Last edited:
Not QC Check~
  • I'm not really sure of those things you out in other options are really "options." I think Manaphy's only good set is the Tail Glow one, surf is super gimmicky, the support set is kinda outclassed by Rotom who has a better typing / ability and W-o-W, etc.
  • I'd emphasize tailwind support more, because one of Manaphy's problems is the middling speed, which makes it slower than faster variants of Zard, Skymin, and Keldeo.
  • I'd also mention how lack of a good spread move is crippling, because Manaphy can hit one mon only to be defeated by the other one.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not QC Check~
  • I'm not really sure of those things you out in other options are really "options." I think Manaphy's only good set is the Tail Glow one, surf is super gimmicky, the support set is kinda outclassed by Rotom who has a better typing / ability and W-o-W, etc.
  • I'd emphasize tailwind support more, because one of Manaphy's problems is the middling speed, which makes it slower than faster variants of Zard, Skymin, and Keldeo.
  • I'd also mention how lack of a good spread move is crippling, because Manaphy can hit one mon only to be defeated by the other one.
the point of oo isnt to be "amazing", just potential other options. surf is a decent spread move, it's no muddy water or snything but it can work with proper support. also, manaphy has moves like helping hand that rotom-w doesnt have. as for tailwind, its speed issue is already noted in the analysis. might mention about the spread move thing, but it isnt somethin that needs to be emphasized a huge amount, there are other mons without spread moves that have no spread moves so it isn't going to ruin manapy or anythin

Overview:
  • Mention that its main niche, Tail Glow, is hard to set up in Doubles' fast-paced environment.
Set:
  • Sitrus first its more consistent. same with Ice Beam (better coverage).
Set Details:
  • Add that the timid Max spread is its best chance vs Mega Charizard Y if that threatens Manaphy's team (which it will if it is a rain team).
Usage Tips:
  • Not many chances to set up Tail Glow so you need to focus on getting it and a redirector in safely.
  • Not much it wants to switch into (tran, chande i guess) so it needs to be pivoted, wait until partners faint, or have a partner that puts a lot of offensive pressure on the opp.
Other Options:
  • If a manaphy ever tries to set up hail i would fo real die.
Checks & Counters:
  • Washtom is only a counter if it lacks energy ball. Thundurus-T and Mega Manectric are only counters if it lacks Rindo.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
Overview:
  • Mention that its main niche, Tail Glow, is hard to set up in Doubles' fast-paced environment.
Set:
  • Sitrus first its more consistent. same with Ice Beam (better coverage).
Set Details:
  • Add that the timid Max spread is its best chance vs Mega Charizard Y if that threatens Manaphy's team (which it will if it is a rain team).
Usage Tips:
  • Not many chances to set up Tail Glow so you need to focus on getting it and a redirector in safely.
  • Not much it wants to switch into (tran, chande i guess) so it needs to be pivoted, wait until partners faint, or have a partner that puts a lot of offensive pressure on the opp.
Other Options:
  • If a manaphy ever tries to set up hail i would fo real die.
Checks & Counters:
  • Washtom is only a counter if it lacks energy ball. Thundurus-T and Mega Manectric are only counters if it lacks Rindo.
did these. i rephrased the 2nd usage tips one though since manaphy has 100 / 100 / 100 bulk so it's not really frail, and it's not really a point specific to using manaphy from my experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)