Manectric (Update)

Manectric

Hey C&C, making my first contribution a pretty simple and much needed revamp, Manectric. The analysis is seriously ancient so it'll be a complete rewrite from scratch.

------------------------

[Overview]

<p>Overshadowed by the likes of Jolteon and Raikou, Manectric finds its place in the UU metagame as one of the more fearsome Electric-types with great Special Attack and Speed. While its movepool is nothing spectacular, Manectric is one of the only Electric-type Pokemon with access to powerful Fire-type attacks, and when paired with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass, Manectric gains near flawless coverage, resisted only by the rare Shelgon and Dragonair (who lack the bulk to absorb powerful special attacks). It also has access to Switcheroo, making it unique as far as Electric-type Choice users go. On the downside, poor defenses and lack of resistances means Manectric rarely finds time to switch in safely, in addition to being relatively easy to KO with priority and neutral hits from faster Pokemon. Despite these downfalls, if you play Manectric's offensive attributes to its maximum potential you should quickly find a dangerous and underrated special attacker.</p>

[SET]

name: Life Orb
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Flamethrower / Overheat
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Charge Beam / Substitute
item: Life Orb
ability: Static
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Manectric's fantastic Speed, exceptional type coverage, and above-average Special Attack make it a natural candidate for a Life Orb attacker. Thunderbolt is the primary option and main draw of this set, being one of the most potent STAB attacks in the game. Flamethrower and Hidden Power Grass complement Thunderbolt well by hitting Pokemon who can safely take a hit from it; the former hits Registeel, Steelix, and Grass-types such as Venusaur and Torterra, while the latter hits Lanturn and Ground-types including Rhyperior, Claydol, and Donphan. Charge Beam rounds off the set by providing Manectric with a means of raising its Special Attack for greater offensive potential.</p>

<p>Overheat is a viable alternative to Flamethrower despite lowering Special Attack, as its incredible Base Power can secure some important KOs which would otherwise be impossible with Flamethrower. For example, a combination of Thunderbolt and Overheat has a high chance of OHKOing specially defensive Venusaur after Stealth Rock damage, while Registeel takes a minimum of 78% (factoring in Leftovers recovery) when switching into Charge Beam followed by a +1 Overheat. In general, Overheat is useful for hit-and-run approaches rather than sweeping. Substitute can replace Charge Beam in the final slot to minimize prediction and protect Manectric from status and revenge killers. It will also make your opponent think twice before switching in Dugtrio in an attempt to trap and OHKO Manectric with Earthquake.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Expert Belt is an alternative item option, as it allows Manectric to bluff a Choice item and increases survivability. This is especially handy when running Substitute, as Life Orb's recoil in conjunction with Substitute will whittle down Manectric's health in no time. While these are good perks, Life Orb is still the superior option in most cases due to its greater power and consistency. Hidden Power Ice can be used over Hidden Power Grass to hit Altaria, Torterra, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking harder while still maintaining coverage on Ground-types; however, this allows Rhyperior, Lanturn, and Quagsire to completely stop Manectric in its tracks.</p>

<p>Chansey, Clefable, and Registeel are among the most common counters to Manectric thanks to their high Special Defense and ability to cripple with status or recover health. Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Hitmonlee, and Torterra make ideal teammates for Manectric due to their Thunder Wave immunity while also appreciating the free switch-in to wreck havoc. Dugtrio is another option to handle them, being able to trap and 2HKO all three with Earthquake, which allows Manectric to sweep more easily. Specially defensive Venusaur and Torterra counter this set effectively, stalling out Life Orb's recoil with Synthesis (although they must be wary of Overheat). Likewise, specially defensive Arcanine can take Thunderbolt well, recover with Morning Sun, and hit back with ExtremeSpeed. Uxie, with a Ground immunity and amazing defenses to sponge priority attacks, is a valuable teammate who can also set up Stealth Rock and use Yawn + U-turn to allow Manectric to switch in safely. Weezing, Altaria, and Mesprit are similar options for this role who can also switch into the aforementioned Grass-types.</p>

<p>This set definitely appreciates Spikes support. It's a highly valuable weapon to wear down all of Manectric's usual counters, turning some important 3HKOs into 2HKOs. Qwilfish can set up Spikes in the lead position for offensive momentum, while defensively Omastar can take advantage of Chansey and Registeel switch-ins for set-up opportunities. Of course, this comes with the need to carry a Rapid Spin blocker; Mismagius's Ground-type immunity and tendency to lure Manectric's counters makes it one of the best options. With Manectric taking Life Orb's recoil and being vulnerable to entry hazards, Rapid Spin support from Pokemon such as Donphan or Hitmontop is certainly handy to help it survive longer.</p>

(Choice Specs goes here)

[Team Options]

<p>Due to Manectric's crippling weakness to Ground and vulnerability to priority and Choice Scarf users, bulky teammates who can switch into such attacks safely make good teammates. Uxie is one of the best candidates for this role thanks to its phenomenal defenses. It can also support the team with Stealth Rock and give free switches to teammates with the Yawn + U-turn combination. In a similar fashion, Mesprit and Claydol can also set up Stealth Rock, while Altaria's and Weezing's resistances and access to recovery can adequately fit the role as well. Generally, the most effective method to alleviate these problems is to carry a solid defensive core with several resistances for constantly switching into and pivoting around these attacks.</p>

<p>Manectric has quite a few solid counters, so having teammates to take advantage of their switch-ins is also important. Rhyperior, Hitmonlee, and Torterra absolutely love seeing Chansey, Clefable, and Registeel, as they do not fear Thunder Wave and are merely a free switch-in to set up a Rock Polish or Substitute and rip holes in the opponent's team. Venusaur has little trouble taking on Lanturn and the bulky Ground- and Grass-types who threaten Manectric, and can utilize Sleep Powder for general support. Dugtrio can trap and remove most of the aforementioned Pokemon, allowing Manecitrc an easier time to sweep.</p>

<p>As with most offensively-inclined Pokemon, Manectric greatly appreciates Spikes support as most of its primary counters are vulnerable to them. Qwilfish is effective in the lead position to set up Spikes as soon as possible; Omastar can function similarly, with the added bonus of the ability to set up Stealth Rock and take advantage of Chansey and Registeel switch-ins. With the importance of Spikes comes the need of a Rapid Spin blocker. Mismagius and Rotom are recommended thanks to their valuable Ground-type immunity, the former being able to assist Manectric by luring out and killing some of its usual counters. Rapid Spin support can help Manectric's survivability issues, especially when it's holding a Life Orb; this also means less risk when double switching.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Modest can be used over Timid for the extra power at the loss of outspeeding base 95 Pokemon such as Houndoom and Leafeon, and tying with Mismagius and Scyther. Manectric can run a Choice Scarf set quite well, acting as a reliable revenge killer to many threats thanks to its great offensive stats. Discharge can replace Thunderbolt or take up the fourth slot to spread paralysis, although Manectric's high Speed and the need for as much power as possible generally makes it unnecessary unless your team significantly appreciates paralysis support. Manectric can fill the role of a fast Rain Dance supporter with Damp Rock, while also benefiting itself with a powerful 100% accurate Thunder and powered up Hidden Power Water. Manectric has access to some decent support moves including Roar, Light Screen, Thunder Wave, and Toxic, but it unfortunately lacks the defensive qualities to use them effectively.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Chansey and Clefable are the most solid counters to Manectric, being able to stall it out with ease thanks to their great Special Defense and instant recovery, although they must be wary of Switcheroo from Choice sets. Specially defensive Venusaur, Torterra, Registeel, and Steelix must be careful of Overheat (and sometimes Flamethrower), but they can otherwise safely take Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Grass and retaliate with status or strong STAB attacks. Ground-types who also invest heavily in Special Defense, such as Donphan and Nidoqueen, counter Manectric well thanks to their STAB Earthquake and Electric-type immunity, and they can even handle a super effective Hidden Power or two. Arcanine is yet another specially defensive Pokemon who can counter Manectric with Morning Sun to heal and ExtremeSpeed for priority; however, it is 2HKOed by Timid Choice Specs Thunderbolt after Stealth Rock damage. Finally, Lanturn's Volt Absorb, resistance to Fire, access to Thunder Wave, and natural bulk makes it an excellent Manectric switch-in.</p>

<p>Revenge killing with a Choice Scarf, priority moves, or naturally faster Pokemon is usually the easiest way to remove Manectric. Aqua Jet Azumarill, Mach Punch Hitmontop, and Sucker Punch Absol are examples of common priority attacks, all dealing severe damage. Swellow, Sceptile, Alakzam, and Ambipom can all outspeed and OHKO Manectric, as can Dugtrio who of course seals its fate with Arena Trap. Blaziken, Moltres and Hitmonlee are notable Choice Scarf users who can swiftly OHKO Manectric with strong STAB attacks.</p>

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hi.

It looks pretty good (I'd probably put Choice Specs over Life orb, but I guess that's just me)
Maybe give Choice Scarf a mention? It turns Manectric into a pretty reliable revenge killer.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Overheat should be slashed in (secondary) with Flamethrower because Charge Beam and +1 Overheat kos most registeel.

You probably could mention a mixed sweeper set.
Personally, I don't think a mixed sweeper set is a good idea for a couple of reasons. One, its only good Physical move is Crunch, which is mainly used to defeat "dedicated special walls" in the UU metagame, which can be crippled by Switcheroo. Also, it comes off of Manectric's base 75 Attack, which isn't too appealing to many players. I think it should stay where it is in AC.
Now, on to the analysis itself. It's very good, and it's a good thing that this "ancient" analysis is getting updated. However, you need to put in comments about the Choice Specs set, as it has none right now. Other than that, I would put in something about it being able to use Switcheroo effectively in the overview. Good job!

Personally, I don't think a mixed sweeper set is a good idea for a couple of reasons. One, its only good Physical move is Crunch, which is mainly used to defeat "dedicated special walls" in the UU metagame, which can be crippled by Switcheroo. Also, it comes off of Manectric's base 75 Attack, which isn't too appealing to many players. I think it should stay where it is in AC.
Now, on to the analysis itself. It's very good, and it's a good thing that this "ancient" analysis is getting updated. However, you need to put in comments about the Choice Specs set, as it has none right now. Other than that, I would put in something about it being able to use Switcheroo effectively in the overview. Good job!
If you're using the LO set, then what? Obviously, Switcheroo is a viable option for the Specs set only.

If you're using the LO set, then what? Obviously, Switcheroo is a viable option for the Specs set only.
Crunch is only hitting Rotom and Mismagius and Mismagius is already hit hard by Thunderbolt.

Calcs assume a Hasty nature and a spread of 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe.

LO Crunch vs. 0/0 Rotom 60.6% - 72.2%
LO Crunch vs. 252/252+ Rotom 32.9% - 38.8%
LO Crunch vs. 4/0 Mismagius 68.7% - 80.9%
LO Crunch vs. 0/252 Chansey 19.8% - 23.4%

LO Thunderbolt vs. 4/0 Mismagius 63.4% - 74.8%
LO Thunderbolt vs. 0/252+ Chansey 18.9% - 22.5%

LO Overheat vs. 0/4 Rotom 87.1% - 102.9%
LO Overheat vs. 252/0 Rotom 69.4% - 81.9%
+1 LO Overheat vs. 252/156+ Registeel 69.4% - 81.9%

As shown, Crunch is completely inferior to Overheat. Overheat does way more to Rotom and Thunderbolt does just as much as Crunch does to threats such as Chansey and Mismagius. What's the point of running Crunch when Manetric already has the moves it needs to succeed?

Also, this is minor, but I'd recommend you change the EV spread to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe because Porygon2 will not obtain the Download boost in Special Attack (I know it's minor, but still).

One more thing, I think the LO moveset should look something like this.
-Thunderbolt
-Overheat / Flamethrower
-Hidden Power Grass
-Charge Beam

Manectric is fun.

Pretest notes:

- Flamethrower vs Overheat
- Substitute on the LO variant (possibly over Charge Beam)
- Is specs "worth it" for the possible Rhyperior / Dugtrio switch in?

Yeah I didn't bother with a mix set since it looks useless on paper for the current metagame, the one on-site was from "old UU" where Hypno and Grumpig were reasonably common. I'll wait for final QC results before making any slashes but I agree with Overheat/Sub slashes for LO.

Hi.

It looks pretty good (I'd probably put Choice Specs over Life orb, but I guess that's just me)
Maybe give Choice Scarf a mention? It turns Manectric into a pretty reliable revenge killer.
Scarf is mentioned in OC, as for set order imo LO is much more threatening + July stats has 56% for LO and 19% for Specs, so I just went by that.

I didn't put any comments for Specs since it's being written up elsewhere. I'll keep Switcheroo in mind when writing the overview, thanks for the comments.

Örly said:
Also, this is minor, but I'd recommend you change the EV spread to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe because Porygon2 will not obtain the Download boost in Special Attack (I know it's minor, but still).
Is it worth it over the extra HP point though? Both are pretty trivial I guess lol

Yeah I didn't bother with a mix set since it looks useless on paper for the current metagame, the one on-site was from "old UU" where Hypno and Grumpig were reasonably common. I'll wait for final QC results before making any slashes but I agree with Overheat/Sub slashes for LO.

Scarf is mentioned in OC, as for set order imo LO is much more threatening + July stats has 56% for LO and 19% for Specs, so I just went by that.

I didn't put any comments for Specs since it's being written up elsewhere. I'll keep Switcheroo in mind when writing the overview, thanks for the comments.

Is it worth it over the extra HP point though? Both are pretty trivial I guess lol
It also gives you a better LO number, allowing you to use 11 attacks instead of 10.

Manectric is fun.

Pretest notes:

- Flamethrower vs Overheat
- Substitute on the LO variant (possibly over Charge Beam)
- Is specs "worth it" for the possible Rhyperior / Dugtrio switch in?
Just a heads up on specs set while your testing it. HP grass kills duggy and does 77.8% - 91.7% on the Specially defensive rypherior set (out of sand) and 52.1%- 61.8% in the sand and Ohko pretty much every other rypherior set, the downfall is you have to predict the switch or scout your opponents team well beforehand or your screwed. Sorry if my grammar sux.

Does Manectric really have any business using Charge Beam? (I guess a better question might be when do you get the opportunity to make use of it?) It seems too defensively vulnerable to really make use of it. Like Heysup said, I think you'd get a lot more mileage out of Substitute, although obviously you're trading ease of prediction for quite a large chunk of HP, but Manny won't be around too long anyway.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Charge Beam is absolutely invaluable. Sub is a decent secondary option, but CB is too useful to not mention first.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Well, it's like this. Manectric has perfect coverage with its three offensive moves. Sub and Charge Beam both accentuate this advantage; sub lets it minimize prediction and hit things with the right moves, while Charge Beam gives it the power to get through some tough opponents.

It's a very good idea to use Charge Beam whenever you manage to get in against something you threaten...like Milotic. If Charge Beam gets you a boost you can power through Pokemon who would otherwise force you out by healing off your unboosted hits. For example, you can ohko specially-defensive Venusaur after the Charge Beam hit and boost, while it fails to be 2hko'd by unboosted Flamethrower. Being to able to wreck Curse Registeel, specially-defensive Altaria, Clefable, and the odd specially-defensive Arcanine also helps, because none of those are handled very well by sub variants. Sub variants do handle Steelix and specially-defensive Torterra/Donphan and [immune to charge beam with good special defense pokemon here], so it still deserves a slash, but CB is the best option imo, especially considering the mounting damage from sub/lo and manectric's general vulnerability to priority hits

I think Substitute should be slashed next to Charge Beam just because it only makes sense to be able to catch Dugtrio / whatever comes in. It also blocks status from Registeel. I also think it should be slashed Flamethrower / Overheat simply because Flamethrower gives it the chance to actually continue sweeping.

I'll test the Specs set soon.

Sorry, didn't realize those were final decisions. Changes made, anything else? Suggestions and comments for TO/OC/Counters?

FlareBlitz

Teammates: Dugtrio needs a mention, obviously. Mismagius also works well, since Manectric can lure and weaken some of its counters and Mismagius can switch in on Ground attacks and most forms of priority that will be directed at Manectric.

Optional Changes: Thunder? It has a chance of 2hkoing Registeel with a bit of residual damage and also 2hkos offensive Venusaur like...30% of the time (accounting for accuracy and damage rolls). I can't think of anything else, Manectric's movepool is not anything to write home about.

Counters: Specially defensive Torterra and Donphan are the only ones you have not covered, I believe.

You seem to have covered most things pretty well, good work.

Leftovers should get a mention on the SubCharge set imo, at least in AC. With it you can live through more attacks (especially priority) and won't have a sweep end just because you killed yourself with recoil.

modest is a little shaky on the specs set but it can kind of get away with it because of its hit-and-run nature. it's really not worth it on the lo set because you lose out on leafeon and houndoom and can't tie opposing mismagius/scyther. also you tie with rotom instead of outspeeding non-scarf versions.

spdef arcanine is a check/counter to the LO sets at least because it has big bulk and extremespeed; priority in general is the most common way people check manectric (or scarfers) so a solid defensive core and/or sweepers with good resists and immunities are needed. at the very least you need an eq resistance for obvious reasons; an immunity is better. manectric also really likes spin support as it keeps him out of priority/scarf ko range and means it's easier to double switch around on predicted milotic (main method i got charge beams).

make those changes and you can consider this an approval!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)