SS Ubers Maniac's Delight - Calyrex Balance (Current Ladder #37)

Garrett

Banned deucer.
What's going on you clowns, BasedWhat? back at it again to post another RMT. In this installment of Ubers, I'm not rocking Hyper Offense that operates on gimmicky premises. This is very solid balance that I've built, and, in my opinion, got pretty close to optimal. I've tested this on both my main which reached #37 pretty easily as of this post and on my lower rated burner which I went about 15-1 on (about 1300-1500 on ladder playing with that).
1606885513559.png

we hittin' 1700 this weekend

Teambuilding Process/Motivation:
I wanted to take advantage of Scarf Calyrex's sweeping potential, so I started with this mon and built a standard (and truthfully, the most used mons--though it's Ubers so what can you really expect), but reliable defensive core around it. I tinkered with the sets to optimize my chances of crippling/weakening mons that would stay in Calyrex's path of sweeping, and this is the final result.

Paste of the Team: here.

The mons are listed in their decreasing importance of me not losing to the broken mons of the tier.

1606883237738.png

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Roost

This mon is absolutely necessary because of Calyrex and is its primary counter. The Sp. Def. EVs are 168 because not until 184 does it reduce the max damage output of Timid Life Orb Calyrex's Astral Barrage, so I opted for the rest in defense, which maximizes its chances of living +2 max Attack Necrozma-Dusk-Mane's Sunsteel Strike. Knock off is perfect utility, Sucker Punch is a great option in conjunction of weakening very low Zacian or Kyogre for Calyrex to revenge, and U-Turn maximizes momentum against Zacian. 30 Speed IVs are meant to underspeed opposing Yveltal for U-Turn but still be faster than no speed invested Groudon. Roost is Roost.

Relevant Calcs:
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 252 HP / 168+ SpD Yveltal: 120-140 (26.3 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Calyrex-Shadow Astral Barrage vs. 252 HP / 184+ SpD Yveltal: 117-139 (25.6 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (basically no difference)
+2 252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Yveltal: 393-463 (86.1 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Groudon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Yveltal: 330-390 (72.3 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Morning Sun
- Earthquake
- Sunsteel Strike
- Stealth Rock

A standard Necrozma-Dusk-Mane meant to weaken Zacian/Kyurem-Black/opposing NDM for Calyrex's sweep. The recovery move and Stealth Rock are without argument. Rocky Helmet is always better than Leftovers since I'm interested in damage output, not necessarily crazy long longevity of my NDM. Sunsteel Strike helps as a backup Xerneas check, and Earthquake is mainly for punishing Eternatus looking to heal on this. I have tried Thunder Wave, but it's too momentum-losing against Zygarde. Toxic is an option for it, but then Eternatus becomes a bigger issue; therefore, I found double attacking to be best. I will spread status with my other mons.

Eternatus @ Black Sludge
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dynamax Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Recover
- Toxic

A standard Eternatus meant to survive Kyogre as reliably and efficiently as possible, Toxic are for the likes of Yveltal/Ho-Oh, and beat a paralyzed opposing Eternatus thanks to Ho-Oh. Flamethrower is necessary to punish NDM and in the rare chance also Zacian, where fishing for burns is not too ridiculous in some more stally matchups. The speed is just enough for max Speed Choice Specs Kyogre. This usually gets knocked off first or second, depending on what I can expend.

Xerneas @ Leftovers
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave

The best Zygarde check this team could have. Physically Defensive Xerneas with Aromatherapy allows me to slowly undo progress done via status absorption, and Defog lets me have less pressure on my Yveltal/Ho-Oh in the case they get knocked off. Max defense is ideal for taking as many Thousand Arrows as possible, the 4 SpA instead of 4 SpD because sometimes the damage increase by 1% comes into play. Thunder Wave is for ruining the careers of any Zacian thinking I'll Aromatherapy/Defog everytime I switch in, which happens ridiculously often against offense or aggressive players.

For an idea of how you can sometimes play with Xerneas - Turn 41 is a cool example of what happens when you know your opponent feels too obligated to quickly outpace defensive mons and double without thinking. It's not really anything didactic, just funny.

Ho-Oh @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 48 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Whirlwind
- Thunder Wave

Ho-Oh is a fabulous backup defensive wall meant to play around with Calyrex-Shadow and Zacian should the primary check for it be unavailable for the job. Sacred Fire and Whirlwind are necessary for attacking and phasing out Xerneas and sometimes Zygarde. Thunder Wave is for Eternatus and the rare brave Kyogre user switching it in. I have played with Toxic and Earthquake and even Brave Bird over Roost, but some situations make the recovery move invaluable, the most common being against Choice Scarf Calyrex. I have 4 Speed EVs to outspeed other Ho-Oh to ensure that I heal/phase out.

Relevant Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 248 HP / 208 Def Ho-Oh: 182-214 (43.8 - 51.5%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO (but Photon Geyser/Stone Edge...)

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Thunder vs. 248 HP / 48+ SpD Ho-Oh: 320-378 (77.1 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 208 Def Ho-Oh: 348-410 (83.8 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

1606884422551.png

Calyrex-Shadow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Astral Barrage
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Once my walls whittle the opposing team, this is meant to break necessary holes or just win outright. A Timid nature is necessary for +2 Xerneas. There isn't much to say besides there's a clear reason why Yveltal is needed on my team and theirs. Also, having this as Scarf helps against Ditto's trying to revenge: it's strong after a boost, but not so strong that my own Yveltal can't handle it.

Breakdown of the Moves:
Trick - Cripple Yveltal/Blissey/sometimes Ho-Oh in situations where I need to switch moves up to sweep or make greater progress.
Astral Barrage - I like the animation, but I've heard it's strong, too.
Psyshock - Goodbye Blissey/Eternatus (since now the latter is SpDef)/+2 Xerneas which I outspeed.
Grass Knot - For Tyranitar, Kyogre, Groudon, and some of Kyogre's more niche counters (Gastrodon, Lanturn), and even that rare Quagsire.

Threatlist:
1.) Groudon - Double Dance or just offensive forces an early Calyrex, which can be exploited offensively before I get to heal Yveltal up.
2.) Zekrom - I revenge it no problem but if my NDM is weakened then it has a decent shot. Though, it's not to be surprised about--balance usually gets a bad spot with offense after several other mons like Zacian pave way by weakening the walls.
3.) RNG with Kyogre - I have lost to Ice Beam Freezes or Water Spout crits from Specs on Eternatus. It's a part of the game, but an unfortunate "weakness" I have.
4.) Zygarde - Xerneas could be very pressured given its lack of reliable recovery in other ways, so Zygarde is always looming as a potential late game sweeper if all goes wrong.

Thanks for reading! Feel free to reach high ladder with this team; it's definitely my best build yet.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)