Margaret (sp?) Thatcher died

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Margaret Thatcher was an idealist. If you wish, hate her for what she stood for. However, you don't need to agree with her beliefs to respect her resolve and tenacity. Her stubbornness should be both admired and criticised; admired because she was never a politician who would say anything to win favour with the mob, and criticised for her lack of empathy. In short, her truth was a truth, but not the truth.

Her achievements shouldn't be underestimated. Thatcher reached the summit of British politics on merit, thereby shattering a previous glass ceiling (for women) within a notoriously male dominated profession. Her government mobilised the workforce and set Britain on a path to economic recovery after its default in 1976 (when we went bowl in hand to the IMF). Perhaps the people who suffered as a direct consequence of her policies will never forgive her, but Thatcher made Britain competitive again, and sowed the seeds to the boom years that would follow.

Don't buy in to what the media says from both sides of the political divide. Ignore the misinformed slander, and admire the woman who, for better or for worse, stood by her beliefs and changed the world.

Rest in peace, ma'am.

The problem with that McGrr is that you can have people telling you to admire Hitler for the same reason.

OBVIOUSLY this is a bad comparison but it's a fact that some people hold a personal grudge against her. Grudges are comparable. You're going to have people saying that idealizing her is wrong at its core because of some of her values / acts. That's not a wrong opinion to hold.

Thinking about it more I guess that's the point of "admire" and "criticize" where you admire the good traits necessary to do good but criticize the other shit but then you can still say that admiring a person that also in a way represented things not meant to be admired shouldn't be a thing that is happening in no small part of the media.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The problem with that McGrr is that you can have people telling you to admire Hitler for the same reason.

OBVIOUSLY this is a bad comparison but it's a fact that some people hold a personal grudge against her. Grudges are comparable. You're going to have people saying that idealizing her is wrong at its core because of some of her values / acts. That's not a wrong opinion to hold.
The difference is that Hitler's beliefs were objectively and absolutely wrong.

Thatcher's beliefs were arguably right, with the backing of major schools of thought.

It is not comparable.

I'm far from well-versed in the subject but I've heard claims like "she supported dictators" etcetera which are likely to come up in a bit. This is a hot topic because her actions went a bit beyond the normal leader's, no?

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm far from well-versed in the subject but I've heard claims like "she supported dictators" etcetera which are likely to come up in a bit. This is a hot topic because her actions went a bit beyond the normal leader's, no?
Hence...

Don't buy in to what the media says from both sides of the political divide. Ignore the misinformed slander...
Please be well-versed before passing judgement.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations on being the only current or former Prime Minister I could name.

And rest in peace.

She destroyed the north of England. Absolutely murdered it. Thus why Tories still don't get votes in Liverpool, Manchester and the North East.

I actually don't have to respect her just because she fought for something and reached a high level? Lolwut? I wonder if blue tornados point was kind of missed. If you want to change things, you have to amass a shit ton of power. That's a given . Not sure why I have to pat her on the back for that. It's what you do with it that matters. And, if I disagree with what she did, I don't have to respect her - no, not even now. Replace hitler with someone less objectively evil lol. Point still makes sense

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, I was absolutely dreading this day. The day when we have to suffer listening to the media granting Margaret Thatcher nothing but praise. I see nothing to celebrate. Thatcher had been an irrelevance for years, after all.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations on being the only current or former Prime Minister I could name.

And rest in peace.
churchill's gonna come back from the dead and sic the hounds on you

Anyways, I don't know much about British politics, but it's always sad when someone dies (with the exception of the obviously evil of course). RIP

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The media making her out to be a national hero and someone to be remembered fondly is incredibly annoying. She may have been a hero to some (rich tories) but she ruined lots of lives and didn't really care. I was nonchalant to the news of her death at first but now I am saddened if only because now she's dead everyone suddenly has to celebrate her 'legacy.'

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The media making her out to be a national hero and someone to be remembered fondly is incredibly annoying. She may have been a hero to some (rich tories) but she ruined lots of lives and didn't really care. I was nonchalant to the news of her death at first but now I am saddened if only because now she's dead everyone suddenly has to celebrate her 'legacy.'
If you've been watching the news in the UK today you can pick up on a number of buzzwords or phrases that people with agendas have been told to use in interviews about Thatcher. The most obvious one that I've heard in pretty much every interview so far is that she "divided opinion", which is a polite and misleading way of saying that three quarters of the country think she is the embodiment of evil.
I am pretty apathetic to the whole thing because the Thatcher years were before my time (though severely impacted the previous generations of my family; most of my uncles and both my grandfathers were miners at the time), but more importantly the amount of sudden political expert tryhard students who have suddenly appeared on my facebook newsfeed have made me wish the entire thing would just fuck the fuck off.

Ugh, I was absolutely dreading this day. The day when we have to suffer listening to the media granting Margaret Thatcher nothing but praise. I see nothing to celebrate. Thatcher had been an irrelevance for years, after all.
ya exactly.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ding dong the witch is dead.

i hear she isnt dead, she has just left her human form
she lives on through cameron

and yeah this whole thing reminds me of how ridiculous the british media is. although i did enjoy radio 6 playing non stop punk rock all day today, without ever explicity mentioning thatcher

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)