Mario

Given that Super Mario 3D Land was just released (and from all accounts is a very good Mario game) and that Mario Kart 7 is just around the corner, I figured it would be a good time for a topic about all things Mario, like favourite games, characters, etc.

For those that have SM3DL, how are you enjoying it? What do you like/dislike about it?

sorry tmon

I always thought it was fucked up how Mario would crack Yoshi in the back of the head so that he would stick out his tongue.

Picking up Mario 3D Land tomorrow. Maybe it will put me in a Mario-y enough mood to finish play through both the Galaxy games?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm on world 3 now. The game has really surprised me, i've heard that the game was awesome (yet uninspired and linear) but the magic hasn't worn off on me yet and the level design / challenges are pretty good. The item system is incredible (despite the relatively low amount of items) but i'm pretty content so far.

I'm picking up MK7 when i get the chance.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
world 7 so far. really fun, enjoying it a lot

is a little easy but that is to be expected from mario. level design is really fun and i love the music. its really light-hearted and fun and is like a cool mix of smb3 and galaxy

will get mk release date probably (fuck i am still so sour over no bikes and no birdo)

Always have been a fan of the 3D games. Never played the first galaxy but 100%'d both SM64 and SMG2, the former a handful of times. I really want to get this now but I'm probably not going to get a 3DS anytime soon, especially for one game!

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
I was definitely a child raised on Mario, and nintendo in general. any time a new handheld console came out, I would always receive it at Christmas/my bday, along with the corresponding new mario game! I remember getting the DS game when I first got my DS Lite and beat Super Mario DS or whatever it's called in the same evening. NO WARPS.

Mario 64 is a classic N64 game that I'll always love no matter what, especially because I still haven't gotten all the stars in it. x_x where is yoshi??? i wouldn't know.

haven't snagged a 3DS yet, but this Mario game sounds like another selling point to actually get it. oh, and uh

some mario par
ty anyone?

Fishy, it's all about the controller-destroying madness of Mario Party 1. For those who never played it, it had minigames where you had to spin the analog stick as fast as possible. The fastest way is, of course, to put the controller on your lap with the heel of your hand on the stick and start cranking. This puts downward pressure on the analog stick and eventually breaks it. Nintendo did a big press release that Mario Party 2 would no longer feature that input.

Good times.

My favourite Mario games are the RPGs (SMRPG, Paper Mario, TTYD especially). Needless to say I am SO PSYCHED YOU CAN'T IMAGINE that they are making a new Paper Mario RPG. TTYD is one of my most beloved games ever, so I just hope Paper Mario 3DS will be half as good as it lol. The trailers look amazing and it's killing me to wait. Luigi's Mansion 3DS is exciting as well; some things in the trailers (like the ghosts) bother me but I really want it to be good and make up for the things Luigi's Mansion lacked (mainly, well, substance... the game was too short), so I'm going to give it a chance. I'm too hyped really :P

Super Mario 3D Land comes out in Australia on the 24th, and Mario Kart on the 7th of December, so we have those to look forward to here. How is Super Mario 3D Land with the 3D off? I don't imagine they will have made a game that is significantly less enjoyable / harder to play with the 3D off, but it's an important factor.

Considering replaying Super Mario Sunshine after talking about it on IRC the other day :) Whatever you have to say, it's rough around the edges, gimmicky, doesn't bring much to the series, etc., sure, ok, but the game has beautiful, rich areas and some of the levels are incredible (the hotel levels, the secret levels, etc.). I don't know if it was only my age but when I played it I felt such a sense of discovery and wonder with the secret levels and Pianta Village. In many levels the game just felt frenetic and it was captivating.

Getting to the top of Noki Bay <3333

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
hahaha, I'm trying to think of some of the games where you have to do that, as I remember vehemently blistering the heel of my palm just to WIN.

and ha, after a google search for a list of mini games:

Lawsuit

In Mario Party, certain minigames required players to rotate the controller's analog stick. Some players got blisters and other hand injuries from rotating the analog stick using the palms of their hands instead of using their thumb.[10] Some wore away the stick because it was not very durable[citation needed]. Some parents filed a lawsuit against Nintendo of America because of this[citation needed]. Nintendo was found guilty and had to pay fines to the parents[citation needed] and promise under United States Law to give gloves to anybody who hurts their hand(s) while playing these mini-games.[10]
The analog stick rotation has been used sparingly since Mario Party 2. As of March 2011, Mario Party has not been re-released for the Wii Virtual Console. Nintendo skipped it and instead re-released Mario Party 2, possibly because of the controversy caused by the analog stick rotation gameplay mechanic.[11]
also the link

i always win the face lift mini game. or the one where you have to jack hammer out the drawing of whatever is portrayed. perfection bitches.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hmm.

While the game is definitely playable with 3D off (in fact, I usually turn it off to conserve power / because it strains my eyes) there are some jumps that are difficult to make because you sorta need depth perception to gauge a certain jump. This is pretty rare however, and i'm positive you can get all of the star coins w/ 3D anyway.

Also Fishy, apparently Mario Party 9 is coming out.

(tumbleweed)

Yay.

Lol, i actually fucking love Mario Party so i'm definitely gonna snag it even if it ends up sucking.

Az: YES, you do. You are missing out if you have not played it.

PK: Thank you! I guess I'll be alright, trial and error can get me through the air if anything :) lol

Fishy and PK, one day we will ruin our analog sticks together in a furious, fast-paced Mario Party showdown.

ETA: it wil lbe hosted by res ipsa loquitur

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
mario party 9, good lord. I guess the party never stops?? pluff, I am very much looking forward to it.

one of the most competitive games imo

oh wow, I did not know about the lawsuit. There's are a lot of "citation needed" there, but if all true, it's hilarious.

I will challenge you to the jackhammer game any time. I am also some kind of savant at Shy Guy Says.

@jumpluff
Why am I not invited to the showdown? I was the one who brought it up! :-(

PK Gaming

Persona 5
@ jumpluff
Most definitely. Hopefully MP9 supports online play!

mario party 9, good lord. I guess the party never stops?? pluff, I am very much looking forward to it.

one of the most competitive games imo
Not if my brother is involved lol. I don't think i've ever legitimately beaten him in that minigame.

&&

The best fucking minigame of all time. It had:
-Teamwork
-A common enemy
-punching, kicking, jumps

and hell, sabotaging the entire party was hilarious too.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My bro bought Mario 3DS and beat the first 8 world aka the "easy" worlds and is now on world 5 in the hard levels. I didn't even know he was that good at Mario. At this rate I won't even need to buy it myself and will be able to play it in a day or two.

Also Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga and Paper Mario would be my favourite RPG's. I've never played the SNES one but everyone puts it in such high regard can it really be that good?

Fishy

tits McGee (๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)
there are aspects about mario party ingrained into my brain much like aspects from zelda

FINISH

WIN

MISS………..

DRAW.

and PK gaming there is NOTHING hilarious about sabotaging the rest of your team… which should bring us to our next mario game.

where bonds are tested, and most of the time broken.

Just last week I was playing that game while in town visiting my brothers. I had eaten my little brother with my Yoshi and was carrying him in my mouth for a while, just to troll. Suddenly, midair, I saw a big coin, so I jumped off the Yoshi to get it, realizing immediately that I was sending him right down the pit. He was not impressed.

On the upside, I did get the big coin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)