ORAS OU Master of Blades (A Mega Gallade team)

Well, here we are again, ladies and gentlemen! Another game, and more options to choose. OR/AS brings a variety of new things to the table. Some new Megas, move tutors, the list goes on. But one stood out above all else for me, and that was the addition of the Mega Evolution for my favourite Pokemon: Gallade. So, naturally, I built a team around this legendary swordmaster, and I have had some nice success with it. So, let's get on with it, shall we?

The Squad:

Teambuilding Process:

Well, knowing that Mega Gallade would be a focus on this team, I looked into potential partners for him. It didn't take long for me to learn bout the legendary Gallade/Bisharp core. Bisharp works great alongside Gallade, as they cover each other's weaknesses nearly perfectly. Plus, I love the theme of them both having blades. So, the core of my team was formed, and Gallade and Bisharp found themselves fighting alongside each other as they have on various other teams.

With Gallade and Bisharp locked in, I looked to the special side of things for my next Pokemon of choice. Fairy typing suited these two well, so naturally my eyes were drawn to the likes of Clefable. However, upon further investigation, I realized that Sylveon would be the better option. With some great Special stats, a Fairy typing, and a great ability in Pixilate, Sylveon fit the bill for the main Special attacker of my team. Plus her Fairy typing covers Gallade and Bisharp quite nicely, as well.

So, with my offenses pretty well covered at this point, it was time to turn to a defensive option. Empoleon caught my interest pretty quickly. Empoleon might seem like an odd choice for this team, but he actually fits in quite nicely. Empoleon has some pretty decent bulk, access to Stealth Rock, and a pretty great support move pool to help out old Gallade. Plus, he is a bit of a surprise factor, too. Empoleon serves as my Specially Defensive Poke, and does it's job well.

So, we have offense and something to help out tank those Special hits, so, what was next? Well, it became apparent that a Spinner would be very useful, but I quickly realized I would need more than just a Spinner. Something on the physically defensive side was needed, too. Not surprisingly, that led me to Donphan. Donphan is picked in teams because he is great at what he does: spin and take hits. That is no exception for this team, and he has helped poor old Gallade survive some of his fiercest opponents.

And last, but not least, we have ourselves a Crobat. Crobat was taken for a couple of reasons. With both Bisharp and Empoleon on the team a Ground type weakness was apparent, and I needed some good support staff for the rest of my team. Crobat helps in both regards due to his immunity to Ground and having great support potential. His support move pool is quite good, and his surprising bulk has let him survive far longer than he should sometimes.

An In-Depth Look:

Sokka The Gallade (M)@Galladite
Ability: Justified > Inner Focus
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Sp. A)
252 Atk/4 Sp. D/252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch

Let's start off with the star of the show, shall we? Gallade has always been one of my favourite Pokemon, and upon hearing that he got a Mega Evolution, I just knew I had to use it. Mega Gallade himself is blessed with some pretty fantastic stats. The set here is pretty standard. Swords Dance after you switch in to something that can't touch you to get a sky high Attack stat, and proceed to destory some lives. Close Combat is the primary move here, offering up some absolutely ridiculous power when backed by a Swords Dance boosted Mega Gallade Attack. I decided on Close Combat over Drain Punch for the power, as while Drain Punch is nice to have to heal up, it doesn't provide the raw power Close Combat does. Psycho Cut is the secondary STAB move here, and is useful for taking out the likes of Fairies with it;s strong neutral damage. I opted for Psycho Cut over Zen Headbutt because it is more reliable, with a perfect accuracy and only 10 less base damage. Ice Punch rounds out the set and provides Gallade with some much needed coverage, hitting the likes of Garchomp, Salamence, and Latias incredibly hard.

Blue Ranger the Shiny Bisharp (M)@Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - Sp. A)
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Sucker Punch
-Iron Head

The second half of the dynamic duo. Bisharp synergizes incredibly well with Gallade, with Dark/Steel complimenting Psychic/Fighting almost perfectly. Bisharp is meant to cause some havoc, and deal some good damage with his Dark type moves. Knock Off is the primary attack here, useful for both getting rid on an opponent's item and dealing some good damage, especially when combined with STAB and the Black Glasses boost. Pursuit is really handy for dealing with Psychics who can't touch you, as when they try to swtich out you hit them for some really good damage on the way out. Sucker Punch is good if you are expecting an attack from your opponent, giving Bisharp some preemptive damage on the foe. Iron Head is there to add at least some kind of coverage, and helps immensely with Fairies who can give Gallade some trouble.

Navi the Sylveon (F)@Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature (+Sp. A, - Atk)
164 HP/252 Sp. A/92 Spe
-Hyper Voice
-Baton Pass
-Psyshock
-Hidden Power (Fire)

Ah, Sylveon. You have quickly become one of my favourite Eeveelutions. Fairy typing and the Pixilate ability is a great combination, and rounds out my offensive core nicely while providing my team with some much-needed Special Attacking prowess. Pixilate Hyper Voice is the star of the show here, and deals a lot of damage. Baton Pass, while maybe an odd choice on a Specs set, is useful when you predict the switch and allows you to get your counter in on your opponent for free, and can give Gallade some free set ups. Psyshock is a nice secondary attack, giving Sylveon a way to hit her opponent's physical defense as opposed to special defense, and gives some much appreciated psychic coverage. Hidden Power Fire rounds out the set nicely, and gives Sylveon means to hit those pesky Steel types that love to switch in on her.

Pingu The Empoleon (M)@Leftovers
Calm Nature (+Sp. D, - Atk)
252 HP/4 Sp. A/252 Sp. D
-Stealth Rock
-Toxic
-Scald
-Roar

Empoleon serves as both a special tank and support Pokemon for this team. Stealth Rock is, well, Stealth Rock. It's always handy having those up on the field, and Empoleon is a great user of it. Toxic is there to help wear down the pesky tanks my sweepers might have to deal with, and puts everything on a timer. Scald is a great move for any defensive Water type Pokemon, and the Burn chance can really cripple the opposition. Roar is handy if the opponent sends in something your really don't want to deal with, and is also good for racking up Stealth Rock damage on your opponent.

Elefun the Shiny Donphan (M)@Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Impish Nature (+Def, - Sp . A)
252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
-Rapid Spin
-Protect
-Ice Shard
-Earthquake

Donphan is a great pick if you want a defensive spinner, with a strong Defense stat and good typing to make sure he takes little from Stealth Rock. The set here is pretty straightforward. Rapid Spin to get those pesky floating rocks off the field, and give the team a little bit of breathing room on the switch. Protect is great for scouting out my opponent, seeing what they are planning on doing without having to risk an OHKO from a surprise Ice Beam or something. Ice Shard is a great move and gives Donphan some priority, as well as giving the team another option to hurt Dragons with. Finally, there's Earthquake. Hardly need any explaining here. Earthquake is a powerful move, and has Donphan's nice Attack stat plus STAB to back it up and hit the likes of Tyranitar foe pretty good damage.

Bruce the Crobat (M)@Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Sp. A)
248 HP/80 Atk/4Sp. D/176 Spe
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn
-Taunt
-Roost

Last, but not least, we have Crobat to finish things off. Crobat acts as a general support Pokemon for the team, whether it be scouting, stopping enenmy boosters, or scaring a threat off. Brave Bird is the STAB move of choice here, dealing some hefty damage from the four winged bat. U-Turn is always a good option, and Crobat's speed makes him a very effective user of it, allowing him to scout out the enemy and keep switch advantage for his team. Crobat is a very fast user of Taunt, often outspeeding what he is Taunting and preventing them from using a non-attacking move, whether it be a status setter or stat booster. Roost is, well, Roost. When Crobat gets low from tanking a couple of hits or Brave Birding something to death, he can just Roost off the damage, healing back up and being able to tay in the fray.

Well, there you guys have it. My first ORAS team. I am quite happy with it, and after testing I really like how the team synergizes, but I am always open to suggestions to make this team better. Thank you for coming for the rate, and I would appreciate any comments or criticisms.

Importable:
Sokka (Gallade) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut
- Ice Punch

Blue Ranger (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Navi (Sylveon) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Pingu (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Roar

Elefun (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Bruce (Crobat) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Taunt

This is an interesting team, but I would like to make some changes.

Donphan really is not that viable in OU, it faces too much competition from other physical tanks in the metagame. This team also has a lot of problems with Swords Dance Talonflame as well. To fix this problem, I suggest replacing Donphan with a Rhyperior. Rhyperior is a better Talonflame check who has better physical bulk than Donphan, and has a better chance of beating Zard X.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature (+Atk, - SpA)
212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
-Roar / Toxic
-Ice Punch
-Rock Blast
-Earthquake

Since Stealth Rock is already provided, Roar can be used to phaze out switch-ins, or Toxic to wear down bulky water types.

This team has no reliable switch-in to Keldeo. To fix this, I would replace Crobat with a Latias. Latias gives you a Keldeo check while also being able to provide hazard removal that you lost by running Rhyperior.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Defog
-Recover

Make these changes, and you should be good to go. Good luck!

Pent

dumb broad
Hey, this is a pretty cool team, and thanks for making a rather nice RMT. I really enjoyed reading it!
But onto the rate.

This team is rather good, and doesn't need too many changes in my opinion. But, you should consider them anyway.

Your team gets rather walled by rain teams, and this is why I would change Hidden Power Fire on Sylveon to Hidden Power Ground so you still hit Steel types like Metagross and Bisharp rather well.
Make sure on all your special Pokemon, run 0 Atk IVs on each of your special pokemon, so you take less from Confusion and Foul Play.
One more thing, your EV Spread on Sylveon is rather confusing, since it isn't rather fast in the first place. You mever really explained the 92 Speed Evs, so I don't know what to go on.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the rates, guys! Some cool suggestions there.

Rhyperior intrigues me greatly, and I am a pretty big fan of that set you laid out. I'll definitely give it a try. I'm not a huge fan of Latias as it seems every team has one, but I suppose there's a reason for that, and I'll definitely give it a shot. If I find I like Rhyperior more so than Latias for team synergy, I could always run Defog on Crobat too.

Hidden Power Ground is a good call, I'll definitely swap it out on Sylveon. Also, to answer your question, those Speed EVs allow it to outrun Skarmory and most Azumarill variants, though I'm not sure if that is really all that big of a deal as neither have given me much trouble so far. It might be better to go fully bulky.

I'll try out these changes and report back. Any other comments are more than welcome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)