Mature Pokémon?

Pokemon is for kids, right? Yet here at smogon users from their teens and beyond come together to discuss and play with this stuff. Many of us don't see Pokemon the way Game Freak intends us to: We see darker back stories, deeper character relations, and more pain and drama than is directly communicated. Do you ever crave for a more mature Pokemon experience? I don't necessarily mean more violent, but just more intended for a teen+ audience. What do you imagine this to look like? In what form would you want it?
(and yes, I know what Pokemon special is. I re-read it. Mature is not cutting a few Pokemon, but it is better than most.)

Personally, I'd like a 13 episode anime (or longer) that takes itself a little more seriously. Something with more focus on character development/relations and plot flow, maybe even a theme running throughout. Of course it would also take place in the pokemon universe we all know and love with trainers, pocket monsters, battles, and all that like.

i'd like something like the black and white 2 trailers.

those were soooooooo cool. dubbed poorly in english, but isn't everything? besides, you can still watch japanese.
(or be lucky like me and get the french dub which was actually really good ;))

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Begin with a main personage who is older then 10 and can't battle properly

Oh and let him know something about Pokemon and how mechanics work
Just aim for the horn

i'd like something like the black and white 2 trailers.
I believe you mean this. It's definitely lets loose a bit with the action. (though I'm wondering if they thought running an electric guitar through the back the whole time would make it more edgy)
[youtube]d-X03D3tSVU[/youtube]

I believe you mean this. It's definitely lets loose a bit with the action. (though I'm wondering if they thought running an electric guitar through the back the whole time would make it more edgy)
[youtube]d-X03D3tSVU[/youtube]
yes, exactly that. but... hopefully... with better voice actors? hetalia did a great job with the dub, for instance, so it's not impossible; i'd recommend watching it over the original.

Wait, what does Hetalia have to do with this? Are you saying they are the same actors, or that its a good english dub for an anime?

Oh, yeah. I point to stuff like Full Metal Alchemist and Code Geass when I think of good dubs. (waiting for a dub of the new Hetalia series btw.)
This clip has some good acting... and spoilers for those who might watch Code Geass.
[youtube]qHZTjl3mkpQ[/youtube]

I remember a while back I had an idea that went something like this: Game freak continues releasing two versions, but one is in the current format, and the other is a bit more dark. The regular game follows the usual gym/organization adventure while the darker one is based in an alternate universe where Pokemon dominate the land more than humans do. I think there was also something about a split timeline involving Celebi trying to stop a war between humans and pokemon... which would explain the two different games.

I don't exactly crave a more mature pokemon game, it is what it is but I wish they didn't emphasize the childish parts and made it look more realistic. For example I did not like how the pokemon contest was all pink and glittery. The contests in R/S/E were more mature looking.

he has two fighting types and two fire types

how irresponsible
I think we know how mature that anime would have REALLY been.

the supermarket?
The Pelipper. Don't say strange things.

Seriously though, what kind of change would make the games "mature" to you?
I'd like if the evil organization thing stopped, and or at least they were aiming to do something that felt a little more real. I guess reviving a super Pokemon is pretty scary, but hard to relate to.

the first thing that came to mind is that the region is desolated after a huge tragedy that befell them, either by war or natural disaster, but...

...these games are made by... japan.

the first thing that came to mind is that the region is desolated after a huge tragedy that befell them, either by war or natural disaster, but...

ooooooohhh...... woops....
Ravaged by legendaries? I don't think giant monsters should be too touchy of a subject.

Hmmm... Let me think... How about a line of console games?
I think its pretty safe to say that MOST of teen-to-adult gaming is done at the home and not on a portable system. Of course we have console Pokemon games, but the closest we've ever gotten to a mainstream one was Colosseum/XD, and those were pretty gimmicky and kiddy. With the way consoles are now, there is so much potential to expand the universe of your franchise and make something truly epic and big. I believe that a universal epicness is what divides kid gaming from adult gaming.
With support from the more powerful home consoles, there's some other in game attributes that they could add to make the Pokemon world very... Interesting, to say the least. With Pokemon out there that literally resemble deities, they could very possibly develop a mythology behind them. We have a little, and I mean, a LITTLE mythology from the games, but that needs to expanded on if these games are gonna be more adult.
It's been beaten to death, but I'd like to correlate Pokemon and Skyrim for a second. If you've ever played Skyrim, or any of the Elder Scrolls games, you know that it is truly a world of it's own. There's so much mythology and things to discover, and discuss. The dragons even have their own language. Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Pokemon Language? EXPAND ON THE MYTHOLOGY OF POKEMON.
It would also help if they gave us a little more freedom. And by that, I mean ditch the grid system and let us run around with less constriction.
Oh, and by the way, you don't really need adult themes to make it an adult game. There's graphic content in Adult games, sure, but you can work without it too. There's plenty of games rated T or even E10 that people consider pretty adult.

And that's pretty much all my thought on the matter.

they should at least start by not giving the bad guys ridiculous costumes.

in fact I think this deserves a post in that other thread

Read Iatos's Shattered Gemstones. Takes place in a post-disaster Hoenn and relates the viewpoints of several compelling original characters.

But that's fanfiction.

I'm curious what a Pokémon animé done by Studio Ghibli or Kyoto Animation would look like. Ohhh man dat supernatural slice-of-life~ /drool

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
To be honest this isn't really an idea I care about that much. The games are fin as they are; pokemon is already appealing to a wide audience.

If anything in pokemon needs to be more mature it's the anime. In the games the maturer group has stuff like cubone and hidden back-stories etc. that a lot of teens would even miss. The younger group has the baby pokemon (even though I like a lot of them). Everyone else has the rest of the pokemon and the linear story.

The anime? The anime has a kid, who gets a bunch of companions, has one of the cutest pokemon there is, catches the starters of the region, a bird, often a ground type, and then strives to be the pokemon master. It is the most kiddish thing not on TV not fully aimed at smaller children, I swear. It has no humor in it.
And the japanese episodes are better. The english dubs cut out any funny bits.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A more professional crime organisation.

It's been a while since my last playthrough of BW/2, but generally, most of the members of said organisation/group through all generations often lack the wit or intelligence to both act and behave in a manner that makes you feel that you're up against something truly threatening, as opposed to dumb underlings who are itching to fight despite only possessing a Zubat and a Rattata. Better variety in their offensive arsenal, corrupted cities that won't use the law against them (although maybe this has been implied?), and some well used hostage situations would crank things up a notch and prevent the organisation's ultimate demise from being a simple matter of continuously winning battles.

Bring back TR from gen1 and 2. The villains after that just got stupid with their generic take-over-the world plots and Zelda fashion sense.

I liked it better when he villains were a semi-realistic crime syndicate who actually exploited pokemon to do clever things, rather than simply battling with pokemon to achieve their end goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)