SM UU MBeedrill Nihilego VoltTurn (1400s)

So this is my first UU team that I made as i usually play OU but got quite bored. I build this team around nihilego, a niche rocker with z thunderbolt that I feel gets outclassed by other, better choices like swampert who can OHKO with equake. I started with a scarf set as this has a lot of synergy with another mon on this team Mega Beedrill as it can revenge kill its checks with ease. IMO the best mega in the tier.

1573339608085.png

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off

The main pokemon of the team, when i first started uu, this guys really stood out to me because of its stupid high attack and speed stats and Adaptability. This ability is what really makes this mon stand out. x2 STAB u turn? Oh imma just switch out and hit your mon like a truck, no biggie. The moves are pretty self explanotory, uturn for pivot and pjab for just strong stab damage, knock off for the also utility it provides, punishing switchings like gligar heavily and lastly drill run, an amazing coverage move that OHKOs stupic scarf nihilegos hard swapping in looking for a free beast boost.
1573339469213.png

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

As mentioned before, my MBeedrill. MAero and MPidgeot check. Very risky to hard swap this thing into opposing MBeedrill because ofthe aforementioned drill run, but can revenge kill solidly so its advised to bring t in on a slow voltturn from scizor or rotom. Power gem is for getting those needed KOs for Beedrill to shine, Sludge wave is spammable STAB, Grass Knot to punish swampert and gastrodon that switch in and tbolt for bulky waters ie: Alomamola, mega slowbro.

1573339486438.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

One of the teams 2 forms of hazard control, a primarina check and utility as those 30% chace scald burns really help with my teams longevity againsts tha likes of hard swap scizor which can break my team with BP and terrakion. Sludge bomb for bulky fairys such as primarina and sylveon but that this thing swaps into and also relatively spammable. Rapid spin because my team hates rocks and knock off for those forced switches against the aforementioned fairies.
1573339506321.png

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Another 1/3 of my teams VoltTurn core, banded scizor is practically a staple in the tier hitting a crazy 591 attack, OHKOing its checks and denting its swap ins. BP is self explanatory, STAB technician BP spam breaks holes in teams, Pursuit>Knock off IMO for those switches it forces out like MAerodactyl and Mimikyu, Superpower for opposing scizor mostly and magneton swap ins who try to revenge kill with HP Fire and lastly, U-Turn, to give a slow switch in for easy revenge killing for my Beedrill and Nihilego.

1573339565417.png

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

4 attacks Hydreigon. So many people think scarf or defog 2 attacks but this thing is a WAAAYY more scarier. This set functions as a late game cleaner and a wall breaker if fairy types are gone. Draco Meteor+Z for a 1 time nuke without the stat decrease, Fire blast as a scizor and MAggron check, Dark pulse mostly for stab and is spammable and earth power as a coverage option. This guy is scary late game and cleans easily if left unchecked.

1573339586824.png

Rotom-Mow @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Defog

The last member of this team and the third part to our VoltTurn core. I picked this mon because half my team is weak to ground and I wanted another ground immunity that forces the likes of swampert and gastrodon and out and another form of hazard control, so i came across Rotom-Mow. Although a niche pick in UU, Rotom Mow fits the team perfectly with Defog as a late game hazard control and volt switch on anything not named swampert or gastrodon. This a fast pinch berry set designed for late game hazard control if beedrill is my wincon, and leaf storm to hard swap into gastrodon and swampert and threaten a KO. TBolt is more of a STAB spammable attack that i dont really use that often as a slow Volt Switch into a check is more worth it most of the time.

Replays:

Replay 1 (loss) - Misplayed at the start as i forgot to keep my scizor for cm reuniclus
Replay 2 (Win)- Slight misplay at the start underestimating alomamolas bulk but otherwise a good game with nihilego winning the speed tie and the game.

Sorry for the low ladder gameplay, I keep on forgetting to save replays now as i try to ladder. Ill try to get more ASAP. Im open to suggestions on how to improve the team in any way, thanks :)
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Thunderbolt

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power

Rotom-Mow @ Iapapa Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Defog

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
hi urmomla, this was an interesting team, but there are some real big issues with it at a base level.

Firstly, you do not have any stealth rock setter on the team, which is a requirement on nearly all competitive teams, and here particularly helps to punish the switches people are making into your beedrill-mega and scizor.

Most of all however, you have 3 poison types. Type stacking Poison-types in UU is incredibly dodgy, with nihilego and tentacruel both offering Latias free opportunities to come in against you on this team and claim once scizor is put in range of its z-moves every time it comes in (if this is a HP fire latias you are in an even worse position), as beedrill cannot hard switch on it.

Your core you bult around of Nihilego + Beedrill-Mega is also very difficult to get to work, as it gives you a huge Pursuit weakness due to both of them being pursuit weak, a large scizor weakness due to both of their respective frailties (and if its CB sciz it may have pursuit itself), and obviously the Poison type stacking. While you claim they have good synergy imo this is completely not the case, especially with popular pursuit trappers such as Aerodactyl-Mega, Kroodkoile and CB Sciz all causing problems for them both at the same time.

It also felt like you struggled versus stall teams, while beedrill + scizor + rotom-c can continually pivot around, rocky helmet alomomola can shortly put a stop to this, and you have nothing to take advantage of the momentum granted outside of this really. The lack of a win condition here essentially means you will lose in the long run as your pivots get chipped down by hazards (you won't win the hazard war cause of rotom-c vs a blissey) and by rocky helmet alo.

On a side note, I feel you have failed to grasp Nihilego's niche as a stealth rocker when you try to compare it to swampert in your opening, or claim that its niche is z-thunderbolt, when a lot of stealth rock sets run black sludge, and some run life orb/expert belt with hp ice too (though more often on tspikes). Rhyperior would be the better comparison to swampert as far as rock-type rockers go really. One of nihilego's big things is that it offers a valuable Flying-resist, and one that is faster than Togekiss so can't get flinchhaxed through either by a +2 Togekiss, as well as a top answer to Moltres, which can tear through certain teams.

It also has the ability to keep hazards up versus a range of removers if it goes for full coverage with rocks / toxic spikes, including tentacruel/empoleon with (z-)thunderbolt and gligar with Hp Ice, or hitting ground types like swampert and hippo with grass knot, while naturrally threatening others such as hydreigon and moltres anyway, while swampert will struggle versus hazard removers such as hydreigon, or can use protect to circumvent its pursuit weakness vs scarf krook and scout other mons like cb sciz too.

Ok so for this rate, Nihilego + Beedrill-Mega really is just unworkable honestly, and scarf is generally bad on nihilego in general anyway, so I had to drop Nihilego unfortunately. I did however try to keep as many of your original mons as possible to make up for this, and only remove the other Poison types. I'll talk you through this in the order I made the changes, as some sets only recieved changes later.

Firstly, I needed to give you a stealth rocker as you didn't have one before. I toyed with the idea of using rhyperior here for a while as it would offer you a flying resist like nihilego did, but in the end swampert ended up fitting better due to rhyperior making the team simply too scizor weak, and the end product didn't really mind togekiss and moltres too much anyway.

Major Change:

:tentacruel: -> :swampert:

:bw/swampert:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Swampert offers you two crucial things you didn't have before here, a stealth rocker, and a ground-type to stop opposing volt switchers running through you. It also gives you a solid answer to mega-aerodactyl, which beedrill-mega absolutely hates. Roar in the last slot can help you dissuade Pokemon directly setting up on you and allow you to fish for some extra hazard damage, and helps you prevent the enemy gaining free momentum on swampert, I decided to put toxic spikes in the team later as an option so Toxic felt unecessary.

At this point I decided to make a small set change to your Rotom-C. Not liking your scizor matchup very much, I felt it woulld be useful to make use of Rotom-C's resistance to Bullet Punch to allow it to actually directly revenge kill Scizor. As you stated yourself, you didn't feel you used thunderbolt very much, and the team doesn't really mind Togekiss anyway which would have been one of your main reasons for wanting it over volt switch.

Minor Change:

:rotom-mow:

:bw/rotom-mow:

Rotom-Mow @ Wiki Berry
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Hidden Power Fire on Rotom-C allows you to OHKO Banded Scizor after Stealth Rock, giving you a nice extra measure against Scizor. Same set as before otherwise, but Wiki Berry > Iapapa Berry because if Scizor does end up bug biting you for whatever reason, you might as well confuse it, since the effects are identical otherwise.

I now wanted to make a change to Beedrill-Mega here. In your original version of the team, I felt Pursuit was hugely helpful for it allowing it to Pursuit trap stuff like Latias that would abuse Nihilego and Tentacruel constantly, making use of it being a switch in to Rotom-C. Your stall matchup was also incredibly lacking, and Toxic Spikes were another option here that could really help it. In the end, I felt Toxic Spikes were actually far more useful here.

Minor Change:

:beedrill-mega:

:xy/beedrill-mega:

Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Toxic Spikes / Pursuit

As explained, Pursuit on Beedrill would allow it to Pursuit trap problematic elements such as Latias (and Celebi) that would otherwise be forced out by it. With the chagnes I will have made to the team, Latias will be less problematic, but this is still potentially nice.

Toxic Spikes is another option that would give you a much better fat and stall matchup, while it isn't the most reliable seter of them, it still has the potential to set them with the switches it forces. Obviously, be very careful about trying to do this when pursuit trappers such as Aerodactyl or Krookodile are still around to trap you though, especially if they have a pokemon that can absorb tspikes still around.

I would personally recommend you use Toxic Spikes here over Pursuit however, because it jels well with the changes I will make.

One of the biggest issues to your team at this point was Hydreigon, scarf hydreigon in particular can outspeed beedrill, while taunt/defog versions can greatly annoy swampert, and any version with recovery is a nightmare to rotom-mow. Opposing hyper offence was also a huge problem to your original team, as sharpedo could happily clean you if scarf nihilego was removed, or if it got 2 speed boosts. The obvious change of adding Primarina would really help with this.

Major Change:

:nihilego: -> :primarina:

:sm/primarina:

Primarina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rest Talk Primarina offers you a solid way of dealing with Hydreigon for the team, while also giving you a method of dealing with Infernape other than Beedrill, and giving you a solid Sharpedo-Mega answer (and Mamoswine) for the HO matchup.

48 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed Bulky Scizor, making it harder for it to attempt to set up on you while weakened, and allow you to outspeed Alomomola too.

At this point, I wanted to change your Hydreigon set too. Offensive Hydreigon sets with coverage are definitely nice, but usually these consist of roost with 3 attacks, making use of the ability to keep themselves healthy unlike scarf/specs sets (4 attacks would be better off with specs (inc flash cannon) honestly), and can make use of other items such as Life Orb to boost all of its coverage such as Superpower and Flash Cannon or making Draco Meteor a consistently deadly nuke, Steelium Z / Poisinium Z to blow through Fairies, or Fightinium Z to blow through Blissey. Taunt versions are also valuable too, helping to punish fatter teams, and deny entry hazard setters such as Krookodile, swampert and hippowdon from ever setting stealth rocks.

The option here was to either make this a Scarf Hydreigon or keep it as a non Choiced variant. As you have Beedrill-Mega + Scizor, I decided a Taunt Hydreigon would be ok to use here, and it would jel amazingly with the toxic spikes support given by beedrill, really helping to break through stall teams, and prevent defoggers removing the toxic spikes.

Minor Change:

:hydreigon:

:bw/hydreigon:

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Roost

Taunt Hydreigon does valuable things for your team here. The synergy with Beedrill-Mega in particular is great, allowing it to make use of the Toxic Spikes to break through stuff like Blissey far more easily, preventing Opposing defoggers such as Gligar from removing the Toxic Spikes, and preventing hazard setters setting stealth rocks, making beedrill's life eaiser.

Darkinium Z as an item allows you to blow through Mimikyu once it's disguise has been popped, but more importantly OHKO all Scizor sets after Stealth Rock (44% chance for a bulky set, guaranteed for all others). It also allows you to serve as a strong Knock Off sponge for your team.

I made one final change at this point. I decided to change your Scizor set to an offensive SD Bug Bite variant with recovery, with enough SpDef to still take on Psychium Celebi and Electrium Latias as a bulky set would. This gave you a set up based win condition that you didn't have before, and a solid way of punishing Pokemon such as Gligar and (non whirlwind) Hippowdon that might attempt to swap into Beedrill-Mega. Access to roost gave you a more consistent extra condition against Celebi and latias also, which would be important if your Beedrill gets itself pursuit trapped.

Most improtantly however, it allows you a method of removing Amoonguss, which can consistently annoy beedrill by swapping into it and giving it rocky helmet chip while recovering the health via regenerator.

Minor Change:

:scizor:

:bw/scizor:

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite

The EV spread here allows you to survive a +2 Z-Psychic from Celebi and +1 Gigavolt from Latias, while otherwise maximising your attack . Bug Bite allows you to consistently break through Amoonguss with a Swords Dance boost, without needing the Z move from Z-u-turn to do it like on the buginium set, allowing you to OHKO Amoonguss after Stealth Rock after one Swords Dance. A more bulky EV spread without the speed also allows you to more reliably set up on Pokemon such as Hippowdon.

Final Team

:sm/beedrill-mega: :sm/hydreigon: :sm/rotom-mow: :sm/primarina: :sm/swampert: :sm/scizor:

Hopefully you'll find the team operates much more smoothly now. If you would prefer an extra u-turn user, you could make Scizor Z-U-Turn and put a dread plate on Hydreigon instead, although i personally prefer the reverse on this.

In terms of dealing with Scizor, make sure you are mostly u-turning with beedrill so you don't offer it free set up turns, as it cannot set up on anything else on the team for free, making it less threatening. Banded variants are the biggest threats to this team, so prioritise keeping stealth rocks up in these matchups and not offering it too many opportunities to come in freely, as it could pursuit trap beedrill, as it will quickly chip itself down.​

Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Poison Jab
- U-turn
- Drill Run

Hydreigon @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Roost

Rotom-Mow @ Wiki Berry
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Primarina @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)