Mecha thread

This thread's main purpose is to discuss the Mecha anime genre. Just to put this out and a tad of info, Mecha can be divided into two main subgenres: Real Robots and Super Robots. Real Robots usually have militaristic & war-like atmospheres while showing humane struggles. A good example of a RR show would be the Mobile Suit Gundam meta-series. Super Robots are more over-the-top and exaggerated, doing actions such as screaming out their every move and having some ridiculous finisher move. Gurren Lagann's a pretty cool SR show, if I'd have to give a sample. So since we're in the topic of Mecha, it'd be pretty adequate to discuss Super Robot Wars too.

Super Robot Wars is a strategy RPG series created by Banpresto on April 1991. The most notable aspect of this series is how it includes trademark content from various Mecha series to form pretty interesting progress. You thought your fanfiction with Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, and Neon Genesis Evangelion all fighting together was just a far-fetched dream? SRW makes it happen.

While the first SRW game, which was released on the Game Boy, only included characters and mechanicals from Mazinger Z, Getter Robo (both very famous Super Robot series in Japan created by Go Nagai), and Mobile Suit Gundam (specifically the Universal Century timeline which spans 0079 Gundam, Zeta, etc.) the series kept growing thereby letting it exhibit even more series. Sadly, almost none of the games in the series are available in the US due to copyright issues. The only exceptions to this are Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 1 & 2, which feature no series instead focusing on 'Banpresto Originals. So, biggest reason why few people know if this game in the Americas is copyright and the fact that not much of non-asian people read moon glyphs, but luckily you can look out for fan translations (Alpha Gaiden and Judgement have full english patches while several others have menu translations).

tl;dr Discuss your favorite Mechanicals from Gundams to Laganns to EVAs; bring up whatever SRW games / moments you have enjoyed, if you miraculously know what that is.

Last edited:
Can I use this thread to point out that I really like SRW's ost
Excellen browning best character name to come out Japan

Reactions: rau
I've always been a big Gundam fan myself, and I liked the 2 GBA SRW OGs that made it to the US (I don't count that weird DS one they released, endless something or another since that's not tactical based robot combat >.>).

I've always liked playing series such as Mech Warrior and Armored Core as well for console releases since, you know, Gundam games are very scarce outside of Japan pretty much. And I don't have the money for the high import costs, costs for additional region-specific systems if they're behind retarded region locks, or the patience to sit through a game I'd never be able to understand lol. It really is a shame there's almost never any good mecha videogames out in the US, Dynasty Gundam Warriors just doesn't cut it for me since I hate the wave of mob combat that that series is. Especially with VR becoming more mainstream, it would be a dream to see a proper mecha game setup with VR headset simulating the cockpit. Probably not gonna get a dual joystick setup since that's probably taking it too far, but yeah, guess I can dream.

I also build gunpla models, though I'm absolutely horrible when it comes to painting, still trying to learn how to properly. Probably why the most I'll do is topcoat models after panel lining and decals. Gonna take back some enamels I had bought and get some spray instead.

As far as currently airing stuff goes, Macross Delta is pretty fun and Kuromukuro is...not very good, at least as a mecha. I recently finished Gundam Unicorn and I enjoyed it, but mostly for the production values, I was alright with the story initially but it lost me a bit towards the end. My only experience with UC is the original Gundam movies though, which I wasn't too fond of, it seems like one of those things that's better the more investment that you have with that universe.

Not anime but I'm tentatively looking forward to Baldr Heart, I really liked Baldr Sky and I'm hoping it lives up to the best of the rest of the series.

Ah, Mecha. Where my anime-watching streak began.

I started with Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann in 2013, which I rewatched the next year (really good English dub, by the way, absolutely shows dubbing quality has generally been improving over the years). A friend of mine is a Mecha fan and recommended New Getter Robo and Shin Getter Robo Armageddon to me, both of which I watched and greatly enjoyed. Then, in August of the same year, I watched Yuusha-ou GaoGaiGar, which is still my favorite anime up to this very day (including its OVA sequel, GaoGaiGar FINAL). In February of 2015, I recovered from my finals burnout by watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam, which was at that point the oldest show I watched, until I checked out Gunbuster later that year.

I've watched more anime besides these, but considering this is the Mecha thread, I figured I'd only talk about these. Amazing genre, kind of a shame its names aren't too well known (aside from TTGL and some others, I guess).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)