Mediocre-Mons (VENOMOTH BANNED!)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ban b/c it's obviously broken and can sweep teams and is bulky as hell and has a choice between 2 of the best abilities in the game and has perfect coverage in 2 moves and please ban

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ban b/c it's obviously broken and can sweep teams and is bulky as hell and has a choice between 2 of the best abilities in the game and has perfect coverage in 2 moves and please ban
I agree, but Moonblast + Flamethrower is like resisted by Fire Types, Moonblast + Psyshock/Psychic is walled by Steel types and Moonblast + HP Ground is nearly perfect (still not Golbat and stuff) but HP ground sucks

It can easily afford to run 3 attacking moves though

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I say BAN. Normally you have several powerhouses to quickly pressure Clefable, but when you can't have anything use any more than 100 (Special) Attack, that's just way too limiting; Clefable can even run Unaware so setting up gets you nowhere. It's very safe to say that Clefable should get the ban-hammer of justice.

BAN
I would explain but everyone has already given a good explanation, I cannot think of any others. (I agree with every explanation)

I agree, but Moonblast + Flamethrower is like resisted by Fire Types, Moonblast + Psyshock/Psychic is walled by Steel types and Moonblast + HP Ground is nearly perfect (still not Golbat and stuff) but HP ground sucks

It can easily afford to run 3 attacking moves though
Just saying Moonblast + Shadow Ball is perfect coverage outside of Litleo

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine

It's a pretty good wall and sweeper. If Chomp was ^d in gen 4 for this reason, there is no reason Clefable shouldn't. Plus it has amazing abilities in Unaware and Magic Guard as well as pretty darn good coverage and a good setup move.

Reactions: EV
But it makes stall super viable
It has awesome stats and movepool and the unaware calm mind set (the only really broken one) can only be stopped by Phazers because everything is weak as piss in this meta. It also passes the biggest wishes in the tier and with Magic Guard, Reliable recovery, Stealth Rock, and a good STAB it can run awesome defensive sets that are super hard to take down without a stallbreaker
BAN

Why does aromatisse have 101 hp

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mirageisland-mediocremons-178
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/mirageisland-mediocremons-179

So yeah, that's my Post-Clefable team which utilizes Semi-Offensive Smeargle (Which is really fun to use).
But so far I am mostly impressed by Venomoth as a sweeper. (Poison STAB is better than you'd think) And 90/90 Offenses are really good in this tier, also with tinted lens you don't need Neutral Coverage so it can just run it's STAB's for power and I use Psychic to get past the various Poison Types (mostly Queen) more easily.
The other thing that has been excellent so far is Mixed LO Abomasnow. With it's high offenses and high powered moves it can easily KO a lot of threats and with it's good bulk take neutral hits quite well (Even taking up to non-STAB Super Effective hits). So it's a great wallbreaker even if it's walled by Fire Types (I use Fire Type). I don't even run Snow Warning as it doesn't benefit my team and Ice Beam is good enough imo and Soundproof blocks dangerous Bug Buzzs and Boombursts. Finally Ice Shard is great for picking stuff of.
Mothim has been kinda deadweight too, but I hate to drop my double moths motto :(

Edit: Laddering in OU \o/ http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-127753843

Last edited:
I read through the thread, and I'm honestly surprised I haven't heard any mention of Klefki yet. Or Gale Wings Fletchinder. Or maybe even Tropius.

With some more testing I find stalling/prankster and boosting Pokemon to be great in this format. Klefki and sableye is great while those who can boost their stats often come out victorious like venomoth.

With clefable gone, I think Deino will be great since it has strong stab moves with hustle.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
At some point in time

Someone made an RU team featuring Belly Drum smeargle

It worked out quite well

I would assume that it would fare even better in this meta

Something like Belly Drum | Espeed | Sacred Fire | Close Combat/Spore could work

One of the pokes that can really shine here is Lunatone :D
Base 95 Sp.Atk And 85 Sp.Def with nice moves, it can either be a Sp. attacker or a solid wall with his nice movepool. Here is an example for a Sp.Def wall set:

Lunatone @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Cosmic Power
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

I know no STAB, but i prefer moonblast over psychic just to hit all pokes :3

Well, looks like this is becoming OM of the month soon and I'm very excited for it even if I want Mergemons a bit more.
I'm beginning to wonder how a Scarfed Kricketune would do in this metagame. Technician with base 85 attack is pretty awesome and it has good coverage with Bug Bite, Brick Break/Power-up Punch, Knock Off and Aerial Ace. It could also use Sticky Web to help itself and its team at the same time.

I'm also very excited for Tropius, who can sweep with Dragon Dance, wallbreak with Swords Dance, or stall with SubHarvestSeed. It will be quite interesting here. :)

Eviolite Clefairy could be a decent replacement for Magic Guard Clefable since it has great bulk with Eviolite and can easily boost with Calm Mind to raise that 60 Sp. Attack. While it can't carry a life orb, it should be sufficient enough.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I know no STAB, but i prefer moonblast over psychic just to hit all pokes :3
you miss out on nidoqueen which turns this into a complete and utter waste of a pokemon slot, since lunatone is one of the few pokemon to actually resist nidoqueen's STAB moves and tank the coverage.

Pokemon in this tier that are absolutely ridiculous and should have been banned long before clefable: nidoqueen, venomoth, smeargle. seriously if you aren't at least using one of nidoqueen / venomoth you're doing this tier completely wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)