Mediocre-Mons (VENOMOTH BANNED!)

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Gonna post this team here since NOBODY is playing this meta atm and NOBODY even has a team. Generic HO team that could be really good if pika is as good as I hope it is.
Pikachu-Belle (F) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Icicle Crash
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Super Fang
- Roost

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 180 HP / 248 Atk / 80 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Generic HO team I made around Pikachu-Belle because that thing is good as shit (tons and TONS of power). Standard shit, and I want to see what you guys think since I can't playtest yet. If you have any recommendations let me know.

even better, if you see me on showdown and can actually play this meta, also let me know :)

Gonna post this team here since NOBODY is playing this meta atm and NOBODY even has a team. Generic HO team that could be really good if pika is as good as I hope it is.
Pikachu-Belle (F) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Volt Tackle
- Icicle Crash
- Extreme Speed
- Knock Off

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave

Abomasnow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Spikes

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Super Fang
- Roost

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 180 HP / 248 Atk / 80 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return

Generic HO team I made around Pikachu-Belle because that thing is good as shit (tons and TONS of power). Standard shit, and I want to see what you guys think since I can't playtest yet. If you have any recommendations let me know.

even better, if you see me on showdown and can actually play this meta, also let me know :)
sorry but no combination of volt tackle, extreme speed, or icicle crash is legal on pika

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry / Petaya Berry
EVs: 96 Def / 252 SpA / 160 Spe or 176 SpD / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower / Surf / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute / Surf / Psychic / Flamethrower

The defense EVs may seem like filler at first, but actually, it allows it to live LO Frogadiers Gunk Shot, Raticate's Guts boosted Facade, and Light Ball Pikachu's Volt Tackle, while 96 SpD EVs don't do anything notable(feel free to correct me on this)

The speed may seem weird at first, but it turns out you only need 160 Spe in order to outspeed every scarfer in the meta after the Unburden boost, or if you want to invest more into bulk, you can run 80+ speed, which allows you to do the same as 160 speed Modest and dump the rest into special defense, which allows you live to LO Chatot's Boomburst, and the rest is dumped into special attack with a Modest nature, making it hit as hard as possible.

Calm Mind is to make sure you can add to your SpA and SpD, making you hit harder and boost your overall bulk. Dazzling Gleam is mandatory as it is your hardest hitting move, and your other attacking move is what your team needs. Flamethrower to hit Steel Types as well as Klefki and Abomasnow, Surf to hit ground types, more notably Nidoqueen hard, and Psychic to hit the bulky Poison types in the tier, as well as Nidoqueen. And the last moveslot is either Substitute or one of the moves you didn't choose in the second slot. The item is up to you, either Sitrus Berry for health in case you get forced out, or Petaya Berry to hard more power and give you a better chance to sweep.

Slurpuff is one of the best Pokemon in the meta at the moment, and it is really fun to use, go try it out!
Plus I am in the Other Metas room on Showdown, challenge me to a Mediorce Mons battle if you want!​

Last edited:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry / Petaya Berry
EVs: 96 Def / 252 SpA / 160 Spe or 176 SpD / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower / Surf / Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Substitute / Surf / Psychic / Flamethrower

The defense EVs may seem like filler at first, but actually, it allows it to live LO Frogadiers Gunk Shot, Raticate's Guts boosted Facade, and Light Ball Pikachu's Volt Tackle, while 96 SpD EVs don't do anything notable(feel free to correct me on this)

The speed may seem weird at first, but it turns out you only need 160 Spe in order to outspeed every scarfer in the meta after the Unburden boost, or if you want to invest more into bulk, you can run 80+ speed, which allows you to do the same as 160 speed Modest and dump the rest into special defense, which allows you live to LO Chatot's Boomburst, and the rest is dumped into special attack with a Modest nature, making it hit as hard as possible.

Calm Mind is to make sure you can add to your SpA and SpD, making you hit harder and boost your overall bulk. Dazzling Gleam is mandatory as it is your hardest hitting move, and your other attacking move is what your team needs. Flamethrower to hit Steel Types as well as Klefki and Abomasnow, Surf to hit ground types, more notably Nidoqueen hard, and Psychic to hit the bulky Poison types in the tier, as well as Nidoqueen. And the last moveslot is either Substitute or one of the moves you didn't choose in the second slot. The item is up to you, either Sitrus Berry for health in case you get forced out, or Petaya Berry to hard more power and give you a better chance to sweep.

Slurpuff is one of the best Pokemon in the meta at the moment, and it is really fun to use, go try it out!
Plus I am in the Other Metas room on Showdown, challenge me to a Mediorce Mons battle if you want!​
Honestly I find belly drum to be a ton better due to you not having to boost to like +3 to actually ohko things. Also you should run hp grass because otherwise you're hard walled by quagsire, who will probably be really common while slurpuff is in it (not saying its gonna be banned but it is something that may be broken because of it gaining drain punch.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Throbulator I confused it with another pika, my bad. how dare snaq let me make a silly mistake like that. 90 speed tier is very good, and wild charge (which it can learn) + icicle crash + knock off (tutor) + something still seems good. Either way, its still appears to be a good mon. That attack stat is equivalent to that of azumarill.

Honestly I find belly drum to be a ton better due to you not having to boost to like +3 to actually ohko things. Also you should run hp grass because otherwise you're hard walled by quagsire, who will probably be really common while slurpuff is in it (not saying its gonna be banned but it is something that may be broken because of it gaining drain punch.
I never said Calm Mind is better than Belly Drum, I just said it was less common, thus more unexpected and versatile. Plus, I think you are underselling Slurpuff a bit by saying it needs to be at +3 in order to OHKO things.
EDIT: Slurpuff learns Energy Ball, so no need for HP Grass.

I never said Calm Mind is better than Belly Drum, I just said it was less common, thus more unexpected and versatile. Plus, I think you are underselling Slurpuff a bit by saying it needs to be at +3 in order to OHKO things.
Yeah I might have been underselling it a bit, you need to boost multiple times to ohko things is what I was getting at. As for the calm mind vs belly drum, calm mind beats quagsire, the one true counter bar something like honedge lol, with hp grass.

One of the best things to take on Chatot happens to be the pink blob of Mediocremons itself, Lickitung. It checks a ton of stuff and even has Own Tempo if you're paranoid about confusion. However, you kinda have to deviate from the arguably superior Heal Bell to use TWave to more effectively deal with it.

Lickitung @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious / Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
IVs: 0 ATK (if you forego Own Tempo, to minimize confusion damage.)
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss / Knock Off
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell

Various rock types also do well enough to check Chatot, such as Lunatone who can do consistent damage with Ice Beam/Psychic and doesn't take a whole lot from Heat Wave, Boomburst, or Chatter. That being said, Chatot is a huge threat who kind of crushes frailer teams that lack the likes of Scarf Abomasnow, Swanna, or Basculin.

As for the Trick Room comments, I've done a little bit of study back in the day with setters in Lunatone or Focus Sash Kirlia and strong sweepers like Darumaka or something like a min-speed Nidoqueen who just kinda smashes things by default and carries enough speed and bulk to be formitable to bulky offense.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lets not let this die again! I haven't played a lot, but a decent lead is Krokorok. I knew it was decent in FU and realised I've never seen it used here seriously.

Krokorok @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

This is a pretty standard lead, but it works pretty well. Stealth Rock is to get residual damage on almost all Pokemon, which can mean a lot to offensive teams. Taunt is to prevent the opponent from setting hazards and it does well against many slower leads. Knock Off is really annoying in this tier and everywhere because it can annoy nearly anything. Teams can use their scarfer, a lot of the damage output of a Pokemon or the bulk of a NFE. Especially the last is important as quite some NFE's are viable, specifically on stall. Earthquake is to get some coverage. EV's are standard to outspeed as much as it can and still hit hard enough. I don't know what you need to run to survive specific hits. Intimidate causes you to check stuff in a pinch and just absorb more hits in general. Eviolite is great too so you're not as terribly frail, though if you want you can run Focus Sash as well. It's not getting OHKO'd that quickly by common early game stuff though.
It's also great at annoying stall. It has Super Effective STAB against Klefki and annoys all the NFE's. They can't heal damage off due to taunt and switching will just damage them more.
It can't prevent spikes from Klefki, but it can Taunt it and threaten it with STAB Earthquake. Klefki can only win if you mispredict with Taunt and he uses a Fairy STAB move and even then it'll have to survive an earthquake, so it's not a really favorable matchup.

Has anyone had experience with Malamar? I was interested if it was any good now that it gets Knock Off (It's better in NU)
We need a new viability ranking for ORAS, with buffs to things like Slurpuff, Servine, and the aforementioned Malamar, and others. Besides, the XY ones were rarely updated anyway.

Has anyone had experience with Malamar? I was interested if it was any good now that it gets Knock Off (It's better in NU)
We need a new viability ranking for ORAS, with buffs to things like Slurpuff, Servine, and the aforementioned Malamar, and others. Besides, the XY ones were rarely updated anyway.
Malamar will like this meta... Except all the bugs.

Been lurking a lot of othermetas for a while now, first posting in one now but I'm probably too late lmao.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Anorith. With a great 95 attack and a decent 75 speed, I'm sure he's more than feasible.

(Missed page 13, whoops I'm dumb)

It gets access to great moves like Swords Dance, Knock Off, X-Scissor, Rock Blast, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin and even Aqua Jet if needs be.

Though I doubt 75 Speed is good enough for SD Sweeping it's not bad. Just don't try to tank any hits with this thing, because with it's lack of good resistances and weakness to water, it's going to die fast.

252 Atk Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solrock: 242-288 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 270-318 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 153-183 (52.3 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
Been lurking a lot of othermetas for a while now, first posting in one now but I'm probably too late lmao.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Anorith. With a great 95 attack and a decent 75 speed, I'm sure he's more than feasible.

(Missed page 13, whoops I'm dumb)

It gets access to great moves like Swords Dance, Knock Off, X-Scissor, Rock Blast, Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin and even Aqua Jet if needs be.

Though I doubt 75 Speed is good enough for SD Sweeping it's not bad. Just don't try to tank any hits with this thing, because with it's lack of good resistances and weakness to water, it's going to die fast.

252 Atk Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solrock: 242-288 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Abomasnow: 270-318 (70.3 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Life Orb Anorith X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Ferroseed: 153-183 (52.3 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Run an Eviolite tanking set dude. All it needs is SR, Knock Off, Toxic, and XScissor. It will take more hits than you think.

Another good eviolite user is Skorupi. With 40/90/55 defenses boosted by Eviolite, this Bug is ready to wall.

And that's how you wall with NFE bugs.

Run an Eviolite tanking set dude. All it needs is SR, Knock Off, Toxic, and XScissor. It will take more hits than you think.

Another good eviolite user is Skorupi. With 40/90/55 defenses boosted by Eviolite, this Bug is ready to wall.

And that's how you wall with NFE bugs.
Good call, I just saw 95 attack and 75 speed and got excited lmao.

Also: Magnemite for Ferro trapper?

Edit: Congrats to Whirlipede for highest defence stat in the tier: 99!

Last edited:

duck

duck
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I used anorith in mediocremons, Eviolite max attack, with knock off, x scissor, rapid spin, rock slide/sr . Really neat, really.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Here's a set I theorymonned for Niche Discovery, and I'm wondering what you guys think:

Pachirisu @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Nuzzle
- U-Turn
- Super Fang/Charm

This is supposed to be a fast, annoying supporter. Pachirisu is one other fastest Pokemon in MediocreMons, and has a high 90 base SpD. Light Screen boosts this, and supports the team. Nuzzle is 100% paralysis, that isn't blocked by Taunt. U-Turn is chosen over Volt Switch as it isn't stopped by Ground types/opposing Volt Absorb/Motor Drive Pokemon. I guess you could run Volt Switch if you don't care about this though. The last slot is for another annoying move--Super Fang strips them of half of their health and helps you beat walls easier, while Charm neuters physical attackers, giving you more all-around bulk when combined with Light Screen, and forcing switches, allowing you to U-Turn out to an answer to their incoming Pokemon. Seems like a neat supporter that can be very annoying, let me know what you guys think!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff gets Energy Ball...

Approved by Snaq over PM

ORAS Mediocremons Viability Rankings
(not in any order for the ranks)
S Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame with little support, and Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost ("free turns"). Also the home of Pokemon who can easily perform multiple roles effectively, increasing their versatility and unpredictability. If the Pokemon in this rank have any flaws, those flaws are thoroughly mitigated by their substantial strengths.

Klefki
Slurpuff
Nidoqueen

A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. Supporting Pokemon in this rank may give opponents free turns or cannot create free turns easily themselves, but can still do their job most of the time.

Abomasnow
Ferroseed
Fletchinder
Frogadier
Golbat
Quagsire
Raticate
Sableye
Vivillon
Xatu
Mawile
Combusken
Murkrow
Qwilfish
Garbodor
Malamar

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outclassed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category.

Ariados
Prinplup
Servine
Basculin
Chatot
Gabite
Hippopotas
Krokorok
Lunatone
Poliwrath
Rotom
Smeargle
Solrock
Stantler
Vullaby
Vulpix
Weepinbell
Zweilous
Golduck
Mightyena
Misdreavus
Swanna
Lickitung
Arbok

C Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are typically inferior to Pokemon in the above ranks.

Ditto
Pikachu
Anorith
Herdier
Ponyta
Glalie
Skrelp
Croconaw
Clamperl
Girafarig
Masquerain
Tropius
Volbeat
Wartortle
Whirlipede

D Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who have a very small niche that are for the most part, overshadowed by their flaws or are almost if not completely outclassed by another pokemon in every single way.

Bibarel
Butterfree
Cherrim
Diggersby
Lumineon
Medicham
Parasect
Seaking
Watchog
Phione
Yanma
Pachirisu

Changes from the old viability rankings:

Slurpuff to S: Belly Drum with actual coverage makes this really hard to stop.
Qwilfish to A: Really good spikes setter, a decent answer to Slurpuff with Intimidate and Thunder Wave
Garbodor to A: Underrated spikes setter, again, checks Puff, has some good utility. A may be too high, possibly B.
Combusken to A: Good cleaner with Speed Boost, can fool around with BP shenanigans too.
Malamar to A: Knock Off makes this a bit better, like Garbodor, it might drop to B, considering Slurpuff is really good, and all the Bug types don't help.
Servine to B: Contrary makes this a decent cleaner, but it needs a bit of support first. May drop to C.
Prinplup to B: Good hazard remover, has good bulk, and fills the "bulky water" niche, at least better than Wartortle.
Golduck to B: Pretty good rain abuser, easily can sweep teams in rain.
Mightyena to B: Good cleaner, can form Dark Spam cores with other things like Malamar.
Swanna to B: Great STAB combination, gets Defog if you want an offensive Defogger, works on rain as well.
Misdreavus to B: Good bulk, works as a spinblocker on Hazard Stack teams.
Glalie to C: Decent suicide lead, but mediocre generally otherwise. Still has enough of a niche to be in C.
Skrelp to C: Okay bulk, Adaptability allows it to hit pretty hard.
Croconaw to C: Dragon Dance with boosted Waterfall/Ice Punch/Crunch easily can wreck unprepared teams. Needs a DD or two to work well though.
Clamperl to C: Shell Smash can easily sweep, but this needs A LOT of support.
Yanma to D: Pretty bad cleaner, still can work in the right situations.
Phione to D: Mediocre water type. Still can work, but every other Water type can do anything better.
Murkrow to A: Similar to why it is great in FU, Murkrow acts similar to Thundurus, spreading status AND hitting hard. Flying is a pretty good type in this meta as well, so yeah, Murkrow is pretty great.

Last edited:
I would put Ponyta on D, since it's almost totally outclassed by Combusken as a fast sweeper... And Pachirisu could be C... Actually is pretty bulky and can help with paralysis support for the rest of the team... Also can Pivot I guess...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)