Monotype Mega Aerodactyl (Flying)

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

With the old powerhouse, Mega Charizard Y, becoming less viable due to the abundance of new Pokemon that can wall it, Mega Aerodactyl, and the more traditionally bulky Flying teams it's used on, has risen in viability. Mega Aerodactyl is a fantastic offensive pivot that can set up Stealth Rock very easily due to its ability to force switches. Pursuit allows Mega Aerodactyl to take on and trap and OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Band Victini, which has the ability to 2HKO all commonly used Flying-type Pokemon. Earthquake allows it to take care of threats to Flying teams such as Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko. Zapdos, Mantine, and Gliscor form an excellent core that can use Defog to remove hazards for Mega Aerodactyl, and the former two provide an Electric and Ice-type neutrality, respectively. Gliscor is also an option for a teammate due to it being able to Taunt and Knock Off to help break down fatter teams such as Normal.

Here is a replay of Mega Aerodactyl in action: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-763977091

Last edited:
Looks great overall. Just one thing is that since you focus most on Mega Aerodactyl's presence on the newer ultra fat Flying teams, I think there needs to be more emphasis on Pursuit and Stealth Rock. EdgeQuake is nice, but really that's just what it uses to attack; the Flying team doesn't really care too much there, so if you really want to mention it, you can say Mega Aerodactyl revenge kills Mega Diancie, but that's pretty much all we need from this sentence (might be best to not talk about Stone Edge at all even).

You do mention trapping Victini, but that single job is more or less what makes Mega Aerodactyl used so much (along with having Stealth Rock). I would even specify Choice Band Victini, since that's the killer able to 2HKO at worst every commonly used Flying-type, which is something I'd also think is worth mentioning.

I think we can afford to drop the Tornadus-T stuff. Tornadus-T is used on some of the fat teams, but it's not something I think is important to Mega Aerodactyl itself. If you really want to talk about a third Defogger, Gliscor is probably a better option for its stallbreaking power.

QC 1/1

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GP 1/1
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Stealth Rock

With the old powerhouse, Mega Charizard Y, becoming less viable due to the abundance of new Pokemon that can wall it, Mega Aerodactyl and more than traditionally bulky Flying teams to rise in viability (something seems off with this sentence because I'm not getting it). Mega Aerodactyl is a fantastic offensive pivot allowing it to setup that can set up Stealth Rock very easily due to its ability to force switches giving it the ability to setup Stealth Rock freely. Pursuit allows Mega Aerodactyl to take on and OHKO Pokemon such as Choice Band Victini (that tries to switch out?), which has the ability to 2HKO all commonly used Flying-type Pokemon. Earthquake allows it to take care of threats to Flying teams such as Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko. Zapdos, Mantine, and Gliscor form an excellent core that can use Defog to remove hazards for Mega Aerodactyl, (ac) and the former two provide an Electric and Ice-type neutrality, (ac) respectively. Gliscor is also an third option for a teammate due to it being able to as it can (doesn't really convey the "this is the other reason to use Gliscor as a teammate". right now it sounds like "Gliscor is another option for a third teammate") run Taunt and Knock Off to help break down fatter teams such as Normal.

Here is a replay of Mega Aerodactyl in action: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-763977091

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)