ORAS OU Mega G es bueno with Frens

Hello, My name is Fuisonpower53, today i will be showing a team that I have found a lot of success with on the Pokemon Showdown Online Ladder. This team is based around a Mega-Gyrados which in my opinion is underused and forgotten about. I play very offensive and balanced but i never play stall. Mega-G is a bit hard to build around due to its weakness to Fairy and Fighting but is a very threatening pokemon with a single Dragon Dance up.

Team

Gyrados-Mega @ Gyaradosite

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Crunch/Iron Head/Ice Fang

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake/Iron Head/Ice Fang

- Waterfall

The main sweeper/star of the team, I chose Mega G because of its decent natural bulk, fantastic ability and a great move pool. Mega Gyrados is not used as much as it should be and is honestly one of the most scary pokemon in the entire game. Crunch is ran as a stab move to smack psychic types that come in to resist my attacks. Iron head can be ran to DESTROY Clefable, Mega Alt and other fairy types. Dragon Dance is used as a setup move and is honestly what makes Gyrados too powerful. Earthquake is used to destroy Rotom Wash after a DD or iron head can be used to smack Fairyś. Waterfall is used to smack Water-Weak pokemon and anything that resists my other 2 moves. Finally you can run ice fang to hit dragon types and other flying mons.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers

Ability: Sand Force/Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Impish Nature

- Earthquake

- Slack Off

- Stealth Rock

- Whirlwind

Ah Hippodown, one of the great physical walls of our time. This thing can stop most physical walls. Bisharp, Landerous, Mega Lop you name it Hippowdon walls it (Mostly). I run the standard Phys Def set 252 defense and HP Evs and then 4 in attack. I run Sand Force to rob Excadrill of the sand. Although you can also run Sand Stream to whittle down pokemon or to negate the leftovers on a wall.

Latios @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Hasty Nature

- Earthquake/Defog

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Hidden Power [Fire]/Defog

Ahh Latios, one of the best pokemon in OrAs right now. It has everything a Wallbreaker needs, Speed, Attack and decent bulk enough to live a lot of hits. I absolutely love the defog/roost set, it's just so good. For this Latios however, i choose to run the EQ,Draco,Psyshock and Hp Fire set. I choose to run this set because I HATE Heatran. After one Draco Heatran will be in LO Eq range of Latios. Draco and Psy are obvious STAB and Hp fire to hit ferrothorn. You could also run defog over one of the two non Stab moves and the same thing for Hp fire

Talonflame @ Leftovers

Ability: Gale Wings

EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Roost

- U-turn/Brave Bird

- Taunt

So I was looking at my team and i realized, my team is very fairy weak. I was looking at my options, and I saw Talonflame. Talonflame looked liked it fit very well on the team. I adore the SD set, but I looked at the Stall Breaker set and it was too good to pass up on this team. This thing live Lati Dracoś and be able to take damage and roost. Again I run the stallbreaker set but i put U-turn over BB for synergy. Will-o-Wisp to burn physical , roost to heal and tune to shut down pokemon that want to lay hazards or set up.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers/Shed Shell

Ability: Iron Barbs

EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD

Sassy Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Leech Seed

- Protect/Power Whip

- Spikes

- Gyro Ball

Remember this thing in gen 5 and how annoying it was to kill, well with the weather nerfś in XY,ferrothorn suffered a lot, however this by no means that ferrothorn is a good pokemon. It has great typing, great movepool, and A LOT of bulk. Ferrothorn has great Hp and defenses, which is what i was looking for on my team. Ferrothorn also gives me another fairy resist along with spikes to complement my Stealth Rocks. The two most viable sets for this team are, The leftovers one with leech seed, protect, spikes and gyro ball, or the Shed Shell with power whip over protect. Shed Shell allows you to switch out on pokemon like Magnezone which would normally kill you. Overall Ferrothorn complements this team nicely with its overall great bulk and great support.

Clefable @ Leftovers

Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA

Bold Nature

- Soft-Boiled

- Calm Mind

- Fire Blast/Flamethrower

- Moonblast

One of the pink Blobs that players Hate, whether it is the Unaware set or the one that's above Clefable is a great pokemon. The Magic Guard Calm Mind set is deadly though. Set up with CM and sweep teams. This thing can take a unboosted iron head from a life orb Excadrill and Fire blast/flamethrower it and the same goes for scizor. Clef is just a great set up mon and is hard to deal with with a couple CM.

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 338-400 (85.7 - 101.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 284-336 (72 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

How I Built The Team

I wanted to start with Mega-G which in my opinion is underrated.

I then looked for a physical wall, one that could soak up damage and heal it off, I looked no further than Hippo.

After that, I wanted a pokemon that could shock opponents and could defog possibly and after looking and testing possibilities I concluded that Latios could fill that void.

After analyzing some of my weaknesses, i noticed I was fairy weak and with Clefables running all in the metagame, i realized Talonflame could fill this role and stop them from setting up.

I realized that I needed a pokemon that could take hits from the physical and special side. Ferrothorn was a perfect example of this pokemon. It also gave me spikes coverage too while whittling down pokemon such as manaphy and other threats with leech seed.

For my last poke, I wanted a pokemon who could take hits, while being able to set up. I also wanted it to have great typing and movepool against the current metagame. After Numerous Testing I realized the pokemon I needed was one of a Fairy type. Clef is a bulky pokemon who can take hits and dish them out along with having great synergy and typing with my team.

Threats to this team

A team of Physical Threats, HO can be a threat to this team, if the opponent has a lot of physical attackers. I usually play around it and try to set up with Mega-G. The hippo and ferro core can't take enough hits for it to survive

Heatran(Sometimes)- If lati does not have EQ or dies i usually go to Talon and hope no Ancient Power

Dragonite- WP Dnite(Dependent on set)- Depending on the set, this will usually get a kill before i can identify what set it is.

Terrakion-(Sometimes) Hippo usually walls but if weak this thing can possibly sweep,

Mega Diancie(Sometimes)-With HP Fire this thing is very threatening, usually have to go into Hippo if Ferro dies or is weak.

Choice Scarf Will-O-Wisperś- Rotom,Darmanitan(Yes i have seen it) and other scarf whispers faster then my Mega G burn it and ruin my chances of winning.

Mega Metagross(Sometimes)- If the Mixed sweeper, this thing can run through my team quickly Kinda have to hope Talon can burn it

Special/Mixed Hoopa- I'm going to be honest, i really don't have anything for Hoopa that is special. I have to hope that there are no rocks and that Talon doesn't get crit by psyshock or dark pulse and then 2HKO it with BB or kill it with U-turn.

VoltTurn- I love VoltTurn and I think it is pretty good but for this team it is pretty scary, I just usually try to weaken with rocks and spikes and pound away at it.

Tornadus-Therian(Sometimes)- Torn T is a bulky mon and i have trouble dealing with it especially the LO set. Heat Wave Hurricane U-turn alone is scary enough and can possibly sweep my team. The only way to deal with it is hope its not LO and have ferrothorn one then retaliate with a gyro ball

Stall- I love stall (NO), Stall is just so annoying

Hax-I am not going to lie, this team gets haxed but then again my luck is pretty bad.

The Import
*Note the moves that are listed first on the pokemonś moveset are the oneś that are on the set (I think)

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast

Well you made it all the way through my RMT, I thank you for taking your time to read this and please o leave comments on which pokemon you think would work for this team. I will post replays as soon as I have time. I will post my youtube channel when I start uploading (Which will be soon). Thanks Again :]]]]

Hi fusionpower53 i have some tips to improve your team. First give 144 spdef evs to hippowdon, this allows you to switch in against mega manectric, thundurus, gengar,heatran AV Tornt and diancie, mitigatin also your weakness to volturn. Now that you have a pretty solid switchin to heatran change earthquake with defog that is mandatory with talonflame on your team. Lastly to improve your matchup against stall run Bulk Up > Will-o-Wisp, thanks to taunt you can setup almost on every stall pokemon and thanks to def boost you can also defeat 1vs1 foul play sableye that beats the standard sword dance set.

Hi fusionpower53 i have some tips to improve your team. First give 144 spdef evs to hippowdon, this allows you to switch in against mega manectric, thundurus, gengar,heatran AV Tornt and diancie, mitigatin also your weakness to volturn. Now that you have a pretty solid switchin to heatran change earthquake with defog that is mandatory with talonflame on your team. Lastly to improve your matchup against stall run Bulk Up > Will-o-Wisp, thanks to taunt you can setup almost on every stall pokemon and thanks to def boost you can also defeat 1vs1 foul play sableye that beats the standard sword dance set.
Thank you for your feedback, I will definitly try those sets out

Hey Fuisonpower53, I like the team but I think a lot of your sets and spreads could use some improvement.

For the Latios set, I don't think you need HP Fire at all. I do think you should keep Earthquake since it provides amazing support for Talonflame and Clefable, but you should run Defog > Hidden Power Fire to get rid of hazards for Talonflame and Gyarados that way they can be as healthy as possible when they start setting up.

Defog + Spikes is pretty redundant outside of builds that have M-Sableye to prevent opposing hazards. Since you directly don't want hazards on the field because of Talonflame and will try to Defog them away, you should run Power Whip > Spikes on Ferrothorn. This allows you to hit stuff like Substitute Gyarados, and OHKO rain sweepers like Kabutops and M-Swampert rather than trying to Leech Seed + Protect stall them.

Currently, your main answer to Keldeo on this team is Latios, but since you don't have a recovery move it can wear you down very easily and begin to threaten your team quite a bit. So to remove this pressure from Latios to be the sole check to Keldeo, you should run Calm Nature Clefable > Bold Clefable to be able to check and set up on Keldeo, as well as other special attackers such as Choice Specs Raikou and Thundurus.

I think you should run Taunt + Bulk Up Talonflame > Taunt + Will-O-Wisp since it can setup on stuff that revenges Clefable like Bisharp, Scizor, and Scarf Excadrill. You can also consider Acrobatics > Brave Bird so you can set up on Bisharps easier while not worrying about Brave Bird recoil.

Lastly, seeing as though your main answer to Talonflame and M-Pinsir is Hippowdon, you should at least have a move to hit them with. So I think you should run Stone Edge > Whirlwind on Hippowdon, as well as run some SpDef on it to have a reliable switch-in to Heatran since you don't want to risk the Lava Plume burn on Gyarados or Latios. Plus switching Latios directly into Heatran would likely give away that you have Earthquake. SpDef investment also helps preventing VoltTurn cores like Specs Raikou + CB Scizor from shuffling your team around on hazards.

In short:

Defog + Earthquake Latios > Hidden Power Fire + Earthquake Latios
Power Whip Ferrothorn > Spikes Ferrothorn
Calm Clefable > Bold Clefable
Taunt + Bulk Up Talonflame > Taunt + Will-O-Wisp Talonflame
Mixed Defensive Hippowdon with Stone Edge > Full Phys. Def Hippowdon with Whirlwind

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Defog

Talonflame @ Leftovers / (No Item)
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up
- Brave Bird / Acrobatics
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

- The new spread on Gyarados is to outspeed M-Manectric and M-Lopunny at +1 and to have some bulk for setting up and taking priority moves

- The Talonflame spread is just for speed creeping opposing SpDef Talonflame for faster recovery and hits, as well as faster Taunts

- The attack investment on Latios guarantees an OHKO on offensive Heatrans, and OHKOs defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock

- The spreads on Hippowdon and Clefable make them check Lopunny, Raikou, Manectric, and Thundurus reliably. Clefable avoids the 2HKO from Specs Scald from Keldeo and from Latios' Psyshock. Hippowdon can still take +2 Pinsir's Return after Stealth Rock as well.

- And Ferrothorn just has more Physical Defense for checking opposing Gyarados and rain sweepers.

Hope i was able to help!

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I feel like you should really use Defog Lati. IT supports both Gyara and Talon and im not sure you really need an answer to heatran as it doesnt have recovery. Repeated Stealth Rock Switch ins, draco/psyshock and bravebird / moonblast will definitely weaken it. Clefable can also 1v1 it if you want by giving it twave or focus blast over the fire coverage.

If you do decide to go with defog you should probably opt out of spikes on ferrothorn. It's counterproductive to set up spikes if you're planning to stop them from setting up hazards. instead you should probably go with Power Whip. If you also decide to go with Twave on Clefable, I think it would be a good idea to go with Iron Head on Ferrothorn over Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball doesnt synergize well with paralysis while the opposite is true for Iron Head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)