move 4: Roost
item: Latiasite
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth for a good chunk of damage, as well as Flying-types like Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir. Surf is used to alleviate Mega Latias's matchup against Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire lets Mega Latias OHKO Kartana, 2HKO Mega Scizor, and 3HKO Ferrothorn. Roost keeps Mega Latias healthy, letting it consistently switch into the battle to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Tapu Bulu. Psychic lets Mega Latias effectively OHKO Hawlucha and Mega Lopunny, as well as 2HKO Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and Toxapex, although it needs Stealth Rock damage to guarantee a 2HKO on Toxapex. Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It complements Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Celesteela, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide nice neutral coverage, they leave Mega Latias walled by Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt. Defog may be used instead of Hidden Power Fire because Mega Latias is a reliable Defogger that doesn't get affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes, but it should be noted that it does lose to a majority of entry hazard setters.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Mega Latias as bulky as possible and lets it take hits from Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, Kartana, and non-Megahorn Tapu Bulu. Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature are needed to Speed tie with base 110 Speed Pokemon, but it's especially important to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Kartana. Levitate is the only available ability for Latias and Mega Latias, but it lets them pivot into Ground-type attacks from Landorus-T and Gliscor to efficiently check them. Latiasite is necessary to Mega Evolve Latias into Mega Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Heatran because it puts Mega Latias on a timer and makes it significantly harder for Mega Latias to keep switching in throughout the match. Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided as well, as it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu and also makes it more prone to getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar. Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon that it can effectively beat such as Kartana, Gliscor, Tangrowth, and Mega Charizard Y. If the opponent has Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Scizor, try to hide Hidden Power Fire for as long as possible to effectively lure them. This doesn't work against Ferrothorn, as it is only 3HKOed, meaning Mega Latias would have to hit it with Hidden Power Fire on the switch in to prevent Ferrothorn from getting much value from Leech Seed. Use Defog on Pokemon that Mega Latias checks such as Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. Remove Dark-types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja as soon as possible, as they can severely hinder Mega Latias from doing its job.

Team Options
========

Clefable and Ferrothorn in tandem with Mega Latias make for an excellent Dragon / Fairy / Steel defensive core that can easily pressure opposing Pokemon due to entry hazard stacking, and they also switch into each other's checks relatively well. Tornadus-T with Superpower is a great partner, as it can pressure classic switch-ins to Mega Latias, such as Tyranitar and Mew, and help against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Tornadus-T can also remove Ferrothorn's and Celesteela's Leftovers with Knock Off and severely weaken the former, which gives it a much harder time against Mega Latias. Water-types like Toxapex and Gastrodon can check Pokemon like Magearna and Ash-Greninja, and Gastrodon can also check Tapu Koko, which Mega Latias tends to struggle against. Toxapex and Gastrodon also use Toxic to support Mega Latias by wearing down foes, and Toxapex can additionally set up Toxic Spikes, which may be useful to wear down Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. In return, Mega Latias can check Grass- and Ground-types like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Heatran provides Mega Latias with Stealth Rock support and is also capable of switching into Fairy-types like Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Mega Mawile, which heavily pressure Mega Latias. Fairy-types like Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable can take care of Dark-types that threaten Mega Latias like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Tapu Bulu can take care of Reuniclus and Gastrodon for Mega Latias.

Last edited:

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Surf should be a main slash; you’re unable to dent heatran without it, and you’re complete tyranitar bait as the set currently stands too, removing two of the biggest benefits of this set. Thunderbolt hits gren but is pretty mediocre otherwise and surf is really damn useful

In my experience surf psy defog / surf hp fire psy / surf hp fire beam are all rly good sets. Draco is cool I suppose and mix used it successfully but I’ve only ever seen it once or twice besides that. Thunderbolt is super mediocre outside nailing gren and most sets cannot fit it bc of the giant gaping holes opened vs heatran and ttar; I disagree with even slashing it on the main set

tl;dr thunderbolt is horse ass in a meta w 40% Tran usage

david0895

Mercy Main Btw
About tbolt: ashninja is faster and it will ohko latias, same for protean ninja but it will change its type into a neutral one (or even immune with Spikes), gyara will be most of the time at +1 speed leaving you to deal with +1 SSSS and for volcanion, i'm not sure if its worth to mention

Surf should be a main slash; you’re unable to dent heatran without it, and you’re complete tyranitar bait as the set currently stands too, removing two of the biggest benefits of this set. Thunderbolt hits gren but is pretty mediocre otherwise and surf is really damn useful

In my experience surf psy defog / surf hp fire psy / surf hp fire beam are all rly good sets. Draco is cool I suppose and mix used it successfully but I’ve only ever seen it once or twice besides that. Thunderbolt is super mediocre outside nailing gren and most sets cannot fit it bc of the giant gaping holes opened vs heatran and ttar; I disagree with even slashing it on the main set

tl;dr thunderbolt is horse ass in a meta w 40% Tran usage
I got told by Leo that boltbeam + hp fire shud be main set, changed it though, cuz i agree.
About tbolt: ashninja is faster and it will ohko latias, same for protean ninja but it will change its type into a neutral one (or even immune with Spikes), gyara will be most of the time at +1 speed leaving you to deal with +1 SSSS and for volcanion, i'm not sure if its worth to mention
Tbolt can be worth it on a select number of teams which is why it definitely does deserve a mention.

I'm not saying that, but just that the move has low utility against the aforementioned threats
It doesn't even really have low utility against them, except for possibly gyara, which should still be mentioned cuz of a 1v1 situation where it might try to bluff Mega Gyarados. Greninja and Ash-Greninja may try to switch in on an expected Psychic, Thunderbolt does a lot to them if they switch in and discourages them from switching in next time around. Volcanion isnt super threatening or anything but being able to actually discourage it from subbing up on you is pretty good.

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Some feedback:

Moves
-I'd divide the Ice Beam portion into 3 sections: Ground- types (done), Grass- types, Flying- types; that way, it seems more organized than it is rn
-No need to mention Landog and Gliscor for Surf as you already have Ice Beam for those anyway
-Personally, I'd remove Pinsir from the Roost portion, as you can't really "consistently" switch into it (you don't OHKO & Return does ~60)

Set Details
-I would just include all the 110 base speed mons, since if iirc the only ones are Eon twins, Mega Diancie, and Gengar (more of a nitpick)

Usage Tips
-I would also include watching out for Thunder Wave; although not as common as Toxic, getting para'd means you lose your important base tier and the ability to consistently check aforementioned Pokemon in the analyses
-You say that Mega Latias can effectively beat Landog and encourage coming in on it, but U-turn is problematic if you switch into it
-I'd add a section on removing Dark- types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja, as those severely hinder Mega Latias' utility (former can trap it, latter comes in freely into Beam / Surf / HP Fire)

Team Options
-Remove Celesteela from the Tornadus-T portion; Hurricane does more damage than Superpower vs. it
-I'd mention that Fairy- types like Magearna and Clefable can handle Dark- types that threaten Mega Latias
-Teammates that can pressure Pokemon like Reuniclus and Gastrodon such as TTar and Tapu Bulu are greatly appreciated, otherwise they'd just sit in front of Mega Latias and setup/status it otherwise

that was everything that I could catch at 5 am, good job n_n

Last edited:
suggestions
* Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Tapu Bulu, Tornadus-T, Tangrowth, and Zapdos for a good chunk of damage. It also hits Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir.
I’d order the second batch of targets by viability, moving Zapdos over Tangrowth
* Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It compliments Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While the neutral coverage Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide are nice it does mean that Mega Latias is walled by Heatran.
I’d also add the Hidden Power Fire targets to switch ins to BoltBeam, because the way this is structured will probably leave players wanting to run BoltBeam + Surf, and while it’s by no means a bad combo, it may not be the optimal pick for their team. By mentioning the Hidden Power Fire targets players will get a better feel that BoltBeam isn’t the best combo out there. (Sorry if this came out weird, I’m a bit bad at explaining myself). I’d also like to see somewhere in moves a sentence saying it’s move choice is rather team-dependent.
* Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon which it can effectively beat such as Landorus-T, Gliscor, Tangrowth, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion.
I completely agree with Indigo here, Landorus-T can U-turn out as Mega Latios comes in. I’d either remove Landorus-T from the list or at the very least warn players about U-turn. That’s all I’ve got though, great job on this analysis :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some feedback:

Moves
-I'd divide the Ice Beam portion into 3 sections: Ground- types (done), Grass- types, Flying- types; that way, it seems more organized than it is rn
-No need to mention Landog and Gliscor for Surf as you already have Ice Beam for those anyway
-Personally, I'd remove Pinsir from the Roost portion, as you can't really "consistently" switch into it (you don't OHKO & Return does ~60)

Set Details
-I would just include all the 110 base speed mons, since if iirc the only ones are Eon twins, Mega Diancie, and Gengar (more of a nitpick)

Usage Tips
-I would also include watching out for Thunder Wave; although not as common as Toxic, getting para'd means you lose your important base tier and the ability to consistently check aforementioned Pokemon in the analyses
-You say that Mega Latias can effectively beat Landog and encourage coming in on it, but U-turn is problematic if you switch into it
-I'd add a section on removing Dark- types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja, as those severely hinder Mega Latias' utility (former can trap it, latter comes in freely into Beam / Surf / HP Fire)

Team Options
-Remove Celesteela from the Tornadus-T portion; Hurricane does more damage than Superpower vs. it
-I'd mention that Fairy- types like Magearna and Clefable can handle Dark- types that threaten Mega Latias
-Teammates that can pressure Pokemon like Reuniclus and Gastrodon such as TTar and Tapu Bulu are greatly appreciated, otherwise they'd just sit in front of Mega Latias and setup/status it otherwise

that was everything that I could catch at 5 am, good job n_n
suggestionsI’d order the second batch of targets by viability, moving Zapdos over Tangrowth I’d also add the Hidden Power Fire targets to switch ins to BoltBeam, because the way this is structured will probably leave players wanting to run BoltBeam + Surf, and while it’s by no means a bad combo, it may not be the optimal pick for their team. By mentioning the Hidden Power Fire targets players will get a better feel that BoltBeam isn’t the best combo out there. (Sorry if this came out weird, I’m a bit bad at explaining myself). I’d also like to see somewhere in moves a sentence saying it’s move choice is rather team-dependent.I completely agree with Indigo here, Landorus-T can U-turn out as Mega Latios comes in. I’d either remove Landorus-T from the list or at the very least warn players about U-turn. That’s all I’ve got though, great job on this analysis :)
Implemented both suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
not qc obv but i would replace the tornadus-t mention in team options as mega latias can somewhat chip tyranitar and they have conflicting roles in providing a fighting resist, a ground immunity, and a kartana check.

not qc obv but i would replace the tornadus-t mention in team options as mega latias can somewhat chip tyranitar
Yeah, it can chip Tyranitar, but having Tornadus-T with Mega Latias puts a lot of pressure on Tyranitar as it will have to choose what Pokemon it will want to Pursuit trap, and a lot of times that will be Mega Latias, but also Tornadus-T, so having Tornadus-T to OHKO Tyranitar (after rocks) is super nice to take away pressure from Mega Latias. You could also use U-turn on the switch in with this example although i've found Superpower to be better in matchups against Tyranitar, and it also helps with Ferrothorn. (U-turn's still fine though, because it lets Mega Latias 2HKO Tyranitar with Surf)

they have conflicting roles in providing a fighting resist, a ground immunity, and a kartana check.
I would not really call this conflicting, from my point of view, that is a positive thing. Because, it means Mega Latias and Tornadus-T aren't going to be overwhelmed by Kartana / Ground-types easily, which can happen against Choice Band Kartana and Zygarde and against z-move variants of Zygarde and Landorus-T if they were to be the only checks. Them checking the same stuff also means they can put up some good offensive pressure despite being mostly pivots.

Also, this wasn't adressed in your post, but Tornadus-T helps a LOT against certain Grass-types, which yes, Mega Latias can take on, but more Megahorn av Tapu Bulu's have been starting to pop up and Mega Latias doesn't like taking Sludge Bomb's from Mega Venusaur or Amoonguss (neither does Tornadus-T but it minds it less than Mega Latias thanks to Regenerator).

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
it does mean that Mega Latias is walled by Pokemon like Kartana, Mega Scizor, and Ferrothorn, because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt.
reword this to fails to ko or cut kart cause beam does 80 lol
Maximum HP investment makes Mega Latias as bulky as possible and lets it take hits from Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, Kartana, and Tapu Bulu.
specify non megahorn bulu cause that probs does over 60
Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided aswell because it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu.
add somewhere that a paralyzed mtias is even more prone to getting trapped by ttar than a free mtias

ultra late check lul 1/3

reword this to fails to ko or cut kart cause beam does 80 lol

specify non megahorn bulu cause that probs does over 60

add somewhere that a paralyzed mtias is even more prone to getting trapped by ttar than a free mtias

ultra late check lul 1/3
been there did that.

moves: i'd scrap draco as a mention entirely - if you're going that offensive route it might as well be tios; defog should either be scrapped or the VERY last mention bc it loses to every single setter in the tier besides maybe z tran but even then just gets taunted while only maybe tbolting back; add to tbolt that it hits celes hard

usage tips: "switch latias in on" just do like kart glisc tang zardy or something in that order, volcanion shouldn't be there

team options: i'm not sure why tran checking grasses is important for lati?, that last sentence i'm not even sure what you're trying to say

2/3

moves: i'd scrap draco as a mention entirely - if you're going that offensive route it might as well be tios; defog should either be scrapped or the VERY last mention bc it loses to every single setter in the tier besides maybe z tran but even then just gets taunted while only maybe tbolting back; add to tbolt that it hits celes hard

usage tips: "switch latias in on" just do like kart glisc tang zardy or something in that order, volcanion shouldn't be there

team options: i'm not sure why tran checking grasses is important for lati?, that last sentence i'm not even sure what you're trying to say

2/3
done did it

also did finches

Last edited:

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Additions, (AC) = add comma
Removals, (RC) = remove comma
Comments

[SET]
name: Roost + 3 Attacks
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Surf
move 3: Hidden Power Fire

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth for a good chunk of damage. (remove period) It also hits , (AC) as well as Flying-types like Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir. Surf is used to alleviate Mega Latias' match up Latias's matchup against Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire lets Mega Latias OHKO Kartana and , (AC) 2HKO Mega Scizor, and it can also 3HKO Ferrothorn. Roost keeps Mega Latias healthy, (AC) which lets letting it consistently switch into the battle to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Tapu Bulu. Psychic lets Mega Latias effectively OHKO Hawlucha and Mega Lopunny, as well as 2HKO Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and Toxapex, although it needs Stealth Rock damage to guarantee a 2HKO on Toxapex. Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It compliments Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, (AC) and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While the neutral coverage Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide are nice it does mean that Mega Latias is While Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide nice neutral coverage, they leave Mega Latias (grammar errors and felt unwieldy) walled by Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn, (RC) because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt. Defog may be used instead of Hidden Power Fire because Mega Latias is a reliable Defogger that doesn't get affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes, but it should be noted that it does lose to a majority of hazard setters.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Mega Latias as bulky as possible and lets it take hits from Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, Kartana, and non-Megahorn Tapu Bulu. Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature are needed to Speed-tie Speed tie with Pokemon with base 110 Speed Pokemon, but it's especially important to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Kartana. Levitate is the only available ability for Latias and Mega Latias, but it lets them pivot into Ground-type attacks from Landorus-T and Gliscor, (RC) to efficiently check them. Latiasite is necessary to Mega Evolve Latias into Mega Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Heatran because it puts Mega Latias on a timer and makes it significantly harder for Mega Latias to keep switching in throughout the match. Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided as well, (RC) because it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu, (RC) and also makes it more prone to getting Pursuit-trapped Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar. Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon which that it can effectively beat such as Kartana, Gliscor, Tangrowth, and Mega Charizard Y. If the opponent has Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Scizor, (AC) try to hide Hidden Power Fire for as long as possible to effectively lure them. This doesn't work against Ferrothorn, (AC) as it is only 3HKOd 3HKOed, meaning Mega Latias would have to hit it with Hidden Power Fire upon switch in to prevent Ferrothorn from getting much value from Leech Seed. Use Defog on Pokemon that Mega Latias checks such as Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. Remove Dark-types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja, (AC) as they can severely hinder Mega Latias from doing its job.

Team Options
========

Clefable and Ferrothorn in tandem with Mega Latias make for an excellent Dragon/Fairy/Steel defensive core that can easily pressure opposing Pokemon due to hazard stacking. They also switch into each others other's checks relatively well. Tornadus-T with Superpower is a great partner, (AC) as it can pressure classic switch-ins to Mega Latias, such as Tyranitar and Mew, (AC) and help against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. (moving this here cause having three sentences for each of Torn-T's qualities is disjointed, but it made more sense to combine the third sentence into the first rather than the second) It can also Knock Off Ferrothorn and Celesteela’s Leftovers and severely weaken the former, which gives it a much harder time against Mega Latias. It also helps against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Water-types like Toxapex and Gastrodon can check Pokemon like Magearna and Ash-Greninja, and in Gastrodon's case, Tapu Koko, which Mega Latias tends to struggle against. Toxapex and Gastrodon also spread Toxic, (AC) which weakens up Pokemon for Mega Latias. (remove period) , (AC) and Toxapex can also additionally set up Toxic Spikes, which may be useful to wear down Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. In return, Mega Latias can check Grass- and Ground-types like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Heatran provides Mega Latias with Stealth Rock support and is also capable of switching into Fairy-types like Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Mega Mawile, which heavily pressure Mega Latias. Fairy-types like Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable can take care of Dark-types that threaten Mega Latias, like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Tapu Bulu can take care of Reuniclus and Gastrodon for Mega Latias.

Last edited:
GP 1/2

Additions, (AC) = add comma
Removals, (RC) = remove comma
Comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth for a good chunk of damage, as well as Flying-types like Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir. Surf is used to alleviate Mega Latias's matchup against Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire lets Mega Latias OHKO Kartana, 2HKO Mega Scizor, and 3HKO Ferrothorn. Roost keeps Mega Latias healthy, letting it consistently switch into the battle to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Tapu Bulu. Psychic lets Mega Latias effectively OHKO Hawlucha and Mega Lopunny, as well as 2HKO Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and Toxapex, although it needs Stealth Rock damage to guarantee a 2HKO on Toxapex. Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It compliments Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide nice neutral coverage, they leave Mega Latias walled by Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt. Defog may be used instead of Hidden Power Fire because Mega Latias is a reliable Defogger that doesn't get affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes, but it should be noted that it does lose to a majority of hazard setters.

Set Details
========

Maximum HP investment makes Mega Latias as bulky as possible and lets it take hits from Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, Kartana, and non-Megahorn Tapu Bulu. Maximum Speed investment and a Timid nature are needed to Speed tie with base 110 Speed Pokemon, but it's especially important to outspeed non-Choice Scarf Kartana. Levitate is the only available ability for Latias and Mega Latias, but it lets them pivot into Ground-type attacks from Landorus-T and Gliscor to efficiently check them. Latiasite is necessary to Mega Evolve Latias into Mega Latias.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Heatran because it puts Mega Latias on a timer and makes it significantly harder for Mega Latias to keep switching in throughout the match. Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided as well because it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu and also makes it more prone to getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar. Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon that it can effectively beat such as Kartana, Gliscor, Tangrowth, and Mega Charizard Y. If the opponent has Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Scizor, try to hide Hidden Power Fire for as long as possible to effectively lure them. This doesn't work against Ferrothorn, as it is only 3HKOed, meaning Mega Latias would have to hit it with Hidden Power Fire upon switch in to prevent Ferrothorn from getting much value from Leech Seed. Use Defog on Pokemon that Mega Latias checks such as Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. Remove Dark-types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja, as they can severely hinder Mega Latias from doing its job.

Team Options
========

Clefable and Ferrothorn in tandem with Mega Latias make for an excellent Dragon/Fairy/Steel defensive core that can easily pressure opposing Pokemon due to hazard stacking. They also switch into each other's checks relatively well. Tornadus-T with Superpower is a great partner, (AC) as it can pressure classic switch-ins to Mega Latias, such as Tyranitar and Mew, and help against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. It can also Knock Off Ferrothorn and Celesteela’s Leftovers and severely weaken the former, which gives it a much harder time against Mega Latias. Water-types like Toxapex and Gastrodon can check Pokemon like Magearna and Ash-Greninja, and in Gastrodon's case, Tapu Koko, which Mega Latias tends to struggle against. Toxapex and Gastrodon also spread Toxic, which weakens up Pokemon for Mega Latias, and Toxapex can additionally set up Toxic Spikes, which may be useful to wear down Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. In return, Mega Latias can check Grass- and Ground-types like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Heatran provides Mega Latias with Stealth Rock support and is also capable of switching into Fairy-types like Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Mega Mawile, which heavily pressure Mega Latias. Fairy-types like Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable can take care of Dark-types that threaten Mega Latias, like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Tapu Bulu can take care of Reuniclus and Gastrodon for Mega Latias.
did

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
add remove comments/instructions
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth for a good chunk of damage, as well as Flying-types like Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir. Surf is used to alleviate Mega Latias's matchup against Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire lets Mega Latias OHKO Kartana, 2HKO Mega Scizor, and 3HKO Ferrothorn. Roost keeps Mega Latias healthy, letting it consistently switch into the battle to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Tapu Bulu. Psychic lets Mega Latias effectively OHKO Hawlucha and Mega Lopunny, as well as 2HKO Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and Toxapex, although it needs Stealth Rock damage to guarantee a 2HKO on Toxapex. Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It compliments complements Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Celesteela, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide nice neutral coverage, they leave Mega Latias walled by Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt. Defog may be used instead of Hidden Power Fire because Mega Latias is a reliable Defogger that doesn't get affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes, but it should be noted that it does lose to a majority of entry hazard setters.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Heatran because it puts Mega Latias on a timer and makes it significantly harder for Mega Latias to keep switching in throughout the match. Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided as well because, (AC) as (better flow) it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu and also makes it more prone to getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar. Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon that it can effectively beat such as Kartana, Gliscor, Tangrowth, and Mega Charizard Y. If the opponent has Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Scizor, try to hide Hidden Power Fire for as long as possible to effectively lure them. This doesn't work against Ferrothorn, as it is only 3HKOed, meaning Mega Latias would have to hit it with Hidden Power Fire upon on the switch in to prevent Ferrothorn from getting much value from Leech Seed. Use Defog on Pokemon that Mega Latias checks such as Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. Remove Dark-types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja as soon as possible, as they can severely hinder Mega Latias from doing its job.

Team Options
========

Clefable and Ferrothorn in tandem with Mega Latias make for an excellent Dragon/Fairy/Steel Dragon / Fairy / Steel defensive core that can easily pressure opposing Pokemon due to entry hazard stacking. (RP) They, (AC) and they also switch into each other's checks relatively well. Tornadus-T with Superpower is a great partner, (AC) (keep comma, remove ac) as it can pressure classic switch-ins to Mega Latias, such as Tyranitar and Mew, and help against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. It Tornadus-T can also Knock Off Ferrothorn remove Ferrothorn's and Celesteela’s Celesteela's Leftovers with Knock Off and severely weaken the former, which gives it a much harder time against Mega Latias. Water-types like Toxapex and Gastrodon can check Pokemon like Magearna and Ash-Greninja, and in Gastrodon's case, (RC) Gastrodon can also check Tapu Koko, which Mega Latias tends to struggle against. Toxapex and Gastrodon also spread Toxic, which weakens up Pokemon for use Toxic to support Mega Latias by wearing down foes, and Toxapex can additionally set up Toxic Spikes, which may be useful to wear down Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. In return, Mega Latias can check Grass- and Ground-types like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Heatran provides Mega Latias with Stealth Rock support and is also capable of switching into Fairy-types like Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Mega Mawile, which heavily pressure Mega Latias. Fairy-types like Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable can take care of Dark-types that threaten Mega Latias, (RC) like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Tapu Bulu can take care of Reuniclus and Gastrodon for Mega Latias.

2/2

Last edited:
add remove comments/instructions
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Ice Beam hits Ground-types like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage, allowing Mega Latias to effectively check them thanks to its Speed tier. Ice Beam also hits Grass-types like Tapu Bulu and Tangrowth for a good chunk of damage, as well as Flying-types like Tornadus-T and Mega Pinsir, which is important because the balanced teams Mega Latias is used on tend to struggle against Mega Pinsir. Surf is used to alleviate Mega Latias's matchup against Heatran and Tyranitar. Hidden Power Fire lets Mega Latias OHKO Kartana, 2HKO Mega Scizor, and 3HKO Ferrothorn. Roost keeps Mega Latias healthy, letting it consistently switch into the battle to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Tapu Bulu. Psychic lets Mega Latias effectively OHKO Hawlucha and Mega Lopunny, as well as 2HKO Keldeo, Mega Venusaur, and Toxapex, although it needs Stealth Rock damage to guarantee a 2HKO on Toxapex. Thunderbolt provides good neutral coverage in tandem with Ice Beam, only being resisted by a few Pokemon, such as Magnezone and Mamoswine. It complements Ice Beam nicely because it hits Pokemon like Ash-Greninja, Greninja, Celesteela, Gyarados, Mega Charizard Y, and Volcanion for super effective damage, which Ice Beam fails to do. While Thunderbolt and Ice Beam provide nice neutral coverage, they leave Mega Latias walled by Pokemon like Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn because Hidden Power Fire has to be replaced for Thunderbolt. Defog may be used instead of Hidden Power Fire because Mega Latias is a reliable Defogger that doesn't get affected by Spikes or Toxic Spikes, but it should be noted that it does lose to a majority of entry hazard setters.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid Toxic from Pokemon like Toxapex, Gastrodon, and Heatran because it puts Mega Latias on a timer and makes it significantly harder for Mega Latias to keep switching in throughout the match. Paralysis is also very crippling and should be avoided as well, as it makes Mega Latias lose its important Speed tier that it uses to check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Tapu Bulu and also makes it more prone to getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar and Mega Tyranitar. Switch Mega Latias in on Pokemon that it can effectively beat such as Kartana, Gliscor, Tangrowth, and Mega Charizard Y. If the opponent has Pokemon like Kartana and Mega Scizor, try to hide Hidden Power Fire for as long as possible to effectively lure them. This doesn't work against Ferrothorn, as it is only 3HKOed, meaning Mega Latias would have to hit it with Hidden Power Fire on the switch in to prevent Ferrothorn from getting much value from Leech Seed. Use Defog on Pokemon that Mega Latias checks such as Tapu Bulu, Gliscor, Landorus-T, and Mega Charizard Y. Remove Dark-types like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja as soon as possible, as they can severely hinder Mega Latias from doing its job.

Team Options
========

Clefable and Ferrothorn in tandem with Mega Latias make for an excellent Dragon / Fairy / Steel defensive core that can easily pressure opposing Pokemon due to entry hazard stacking, and they also switch into each other's checks relatively well. Tornadus-T with Superpower is a great partner, as it can pressure classic switch-ins to Mega Latias, such as Tyranitar and Mew, and help against certain Grass-types that Mega Latias tends to struggle against if it isn't running Psychic, namely Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Tornadus-T can also remove Ferrothorn's and Celesteela's Leftovers with Knock Off and severely weaken the former, which gives it a much harder time against Mega Latias. Water-types like Toxapex and Gastrodon can check Pokemon like Magearna and Ash-Greninja, and Gastrodon can also check Tapu Koko, which Mega Latias tends to struggle against. Toxapex and Gastrodon also use Toxic to support Mega Latias by wearing down foes, and Toxapex can additionally set up Toxic Spikes, which may be useful to wear down Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. In return, Mega Latias can check Grass- and Ground-types like Tapu Bulu, Kartana, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Heatran provides Mega Latias with Stealth Rock support and is also capable of switching into Fairy-types like Clefable, Tapu Lele, and Mega Mawile, which heavily pressure Mega Latias. Fairy-types like Magearna, Tapu Bulu, and Clefable can take care of Dark-types that threaten Mega Latias like Tyranitar and Ash-Greninja. Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Tapu Bulu can take care of Reuniclus and Gastrodon for Mega Latias.

2/2
implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)