ORAS Ubers Mega Mence is disgusting (Ice Arceus RMT)

Hi! I wanted to showcase a Pokemon I feel is severely underrated in this metagame. Ice Arceus is seen in the Ubers room as a meme of sorts, but Ice is an amazing offensive typing vs. most Pokemon in this metagame, hitting Primal Groudon for good neutral damage on the switch and smacking around Dragons and Flying types. It's a cool mon despite the unfortunate SR weakness, and it still provides some defensive synergy by soft-checking Mega Salamence and stuff like Hex Giratina-O. At some point this team along with one other peaked at #2 (I could never find the energy to top Pohjis, especially since he spectated so many of my games), but it's ladder so no one cares and this was a long time ago. I also won some URUC games with it, which I guess kind of matters.

There is a fair amount of redundancy on this team (something I normally dislike, especially on balance), but in this strange metagame so severely warped around certain Pokemon, I find some of the tops threats can easily maneuver their way around certain checks, forcing even balanced teams to break out all the stops to beat them comfortably. For example, offensive Double-Edge Salamence can break Giratina-O and Iceceus easily, whereas Refresh Salamence sets up on Skarm in a last mon situation. Sleep Talk Ho-Oh and Mega Diancie is usually enough to beat Darkrai, but I have still managed to lose to it because Darkrai is ridiculous. Fuck Salamence and Darkrai jesus christ.

Teambuilding process etc.

upload_2016-3-9_14-32-9.png
upload_2016-3-9_14-32-22.png

Started with Iceceus and paired it with Giratina-O, which could help remove hazards for it while simultaneously checking Primal Groudon.

upload_2016-3-9_14-33-50.png

I knew I needed a Primal Kyogre answer, a Xerneas check, an answer to Steel-types, and something to put some pressure on stall teams all in one. After spending weeks agonizing over a suitable Pokemon to fit this role, I finally decided on Primal Groudon. It has been a worthwhile member of this team.

upload_2016-3-9_14-35-38.png

Balance mandates a minimum of two Xerneas answers and Ho-Oh has excellent offensive synergy with Ice Arceus. It was also this team's first Darkrai check, and the offensive synergy is why I opted for Ho-Oh over Klefki.

upload_2016-3-9_14-37-29.png

Ho-Oh requires more than one anti-hazard measure, and Diancie helps Ho-Oh check Darkrai while blocking most Klefki.

upload_2016-3-9_14-37-29.png
upload_2016-3-9_14-39-22.png

SD Groundceus and to a lesser extent EKiller were huge problems for this team, so I added Skarmory in the last slot. It helps tremendously when fighting the sample team.

Team:

upload_2016-3-9_14-41-4.png

Arceus @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Thunder
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Ice Arceus is really cool I swear! Ice is a really good offensive typing in this metagame and Judgment will hit almost anything that doesn't give free switches to Ho-Oh for strong damage. Thunder was chosen as the second attacking move to hit Kyogre and Water Arceus while chipping away at Steel-types if need be. Three attacks Calm Mind is also a cool set should you wish to try this Pokemon on a more offensive team, as it likes being able to scorch Steels with Fire Blast, but I didn't feel Recover was optional here.

Be careful about using this team as the first switchin to Mega Salamence; Arceus without bulk cannot stomach a +1 Double-Edge. Ice Arceus can, however, annihilate Refresh variants . This set is extremely offensive in nature and should be played aggressively.

upload_2016-3-9_14-49-56.png

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 Atk / 248 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Defog

Giratina-O is a really cool Defog user due to its ability to find opportunities to use the move vs. HO teams and SR Primal Groudon. Not too many Defog users in this tier can do that. Toxic helps spread status, and I find the combination of Toxic and Dragon Tail can really soften up some Stall teams (which rarely use Fairies) for Ho-Oh and company to exploit. That's the main reason I use this set over the Hex set. In addition, Shadow Sneak is mandatory so I don't lose to random Mewtwo. I run 24 Speed to defy the analysis spread, as well as people that attempt to barely outcreep the analysis spread by 4-8 EVs. Speed is the most important stat in the game -UUTL Sam.

upload_2016-3-9_14-57-29.png

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 176 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail / Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave

Primal Groudon is mandatory on ~90% of ORAS Ubers teams, and a suboptimal choice on none of them. For those who are not aware, Primal Groudon hard checks otherwise dangerous threats such as Primal Kyogre and Xerneas while soft checking stuff like Mega Salamence. As this team will never need Groudon to take on Salamence or Ho-Oh, it has a pretty easy time checking the mons it needs to while setting up Stealth Rock. I really wanted to run Toxic on this team, but Thunder Wave is kind of mandatory on teams that "only" use Ho-Oh and Groudon to check Xerneas. If I had a third check to Xerneas I'd use Toxic to further pressure the hell out of stall (especially support Arceus formes), but with the amount of status spreaders already on this team it'd be more of a luxury than something I need anyway. Also, Thunder Wave is the best move ever made.

Precipice Blades is chosen over Earthquake because it's better at pressuring Arceus (and is better in general), and Dragon Tail is nice for punishing Lati@s / Giratina-O while phasing out overeager Extreme Killer. I strongly considered Stone Edge over Dragon Tail to help vs. Ho-Oh, but in Diancie I trust.

upload_2016-3-9_15-5-55.png

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 24 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

I knew I would use Ho-Oh on this team when I started building around Ice Arceus, and it is just as good a partner for it as I had imagined. Ho-Oh completely takes advantage of Klefki, Ferrothorn, Jirachi, and other annoying Steel-types. It also checks two of the most aggravating Pokemon in the tier (Xerneas and Darkrai). I like Sleep Talk on Ho-Oh for the latter Pokemon and I dislike using Life Orb without finding room for Thunder Wave, so I elected to use a Choice Band. 60 is the speed creep I used for Ho-Oh, and unlike other tournament players who do RMT's I don't care if people know how much I creep this.

upload_2016-3-9_15-18-9.png

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Earth Power

Pairing a Magic Bouncer with Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock isn't exactly innovative, but it is effective. Moonblast and Diamond Storm give Diancie some solid STAB moves to blast away at Pokemon that Diancie needs to be able to beat 1-1, such as Ho-Oh. Earth Power batters Klefki / dissuades it from staying in on you and Play Roughing, and also does a nice job finishing off weakened Primal Groudon. I didn't need another status spreader and I like the additional coverage Earth Power grants. The EV spread allows Diancie to check LO Thunder Darkrai, as it tanks a +2 Thunder at full health and OHKOes back with Moonblast. Leftover EV's are put into Defense along with a Bold nature to help against Ho-Oh.
upload_2016-3-9_15-23-29.png

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Roost

Skarmory completes the team by providing Spikes, a 50th status spreader, and a reliable answer to SD Arceus formes. Roost and Whirlwind are mandatory for Skarmory to do its job, not to mention that I already have a Defog user anyway. Whirlwind is also nice to have in a pinch vs. Xerneas or CM Arceus if Skarmory is at full health, although Skarmory is essentially suiciding itself to phaze in those circumstances. The EV spread is not so creative, but I really like dicking around the sample team seeing how common and mindless it is. I'm comfortable enough vs. Lati@s with Diancie and Ho-Oh and Skarmory is an awful check to Calm Mind variants anyway.

Threat list:

Primal Kyogre: If it gets in on Primal Groudon somehow, I'm almost forced to go Giratina-O. Thunder is almost mandatory on Iceceus to help chip it.

Judgment Waterceus: A big issue, as it can wall most of the team while dealing good damage back with Judgment. Defog variants are easy to deal with though. The gameplan vs. stall teams is to status the opponent to death and pressure the hell out of Blissey / whatever cleric they are using. It's worked for me so farSupport Groundceus gives Ho-Oh free switches so I don't care about it.

LO Ho-Oh: Pretty threatening.

Rock Arceus: No Rock resists here bc my Steel type is a Skarmory, so this Pokemon is deadly if Groudon is worn down.

Offensive Dialga: Good thing no one uses this! (nor should they)

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-307558667 URUC vs. jhonx
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-307792351 URUC vs. old news

Importable:

Arceus @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Thunder
- Recover
- Calm Mind

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 Atk / 248 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Defog

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 176 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 24 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Earth Power

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Roost

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How did I miss this lol

Good team, you could try SR + SD Groudon to help pressure Waterceus better if its that annoying, Skarm + bulky Diancie + Iceceus should be more than sufficient Salamence coverage.

It might be worth running 252 SDef on Skarm to try and take on Rockceus a bit better, right now it kind of just 100% owns you unless you can keep PDon at very good health.

It's nice to see Arceus-Ice but I don't think it's being put into its best use on this team. I'm not seeing why Skarm is necessarily needed, it in fact just compounds the weakness to Ho-oh (Toxic Giratina-O hardly is enough to keep Ho-oh out, and you don't even use a rock move on Pdon at all times). The Diancie set seems weird as well, since you are basically forfeiting its best abilities for a miniscule bulk increase. I do agree you probably want to live +2 Darkrai but why sacrifice all speed and offensive presence in the process? Bold nature doesn't switch into Ho-oh well at all and now you are also slower than 252 speed Ho-oh as well as Jolly SD SR Pdon.

With half the team being Ho-oh bait and at best a Diancie to sometimes switch in, I can't see this being reliable at all. I do think the problem comes with stacking Iceceus+steel type. Getting rid of the former probably leads to a more conventional Ho-oh build in the end so I figure you'd probably want to get rid of skarm somehow and probably make the team more offensive in the process. It does feel kinda weird to slap Iceceus on a balanced build like this. Sorry I couldn't give more concrete answers to how to improve the team though, it's certainly a decent try but I can't see how it seem to be that consistent (it faces similar problems as this team http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blvde-peaked-1.3559629/ to be fair).

But yeah thanks for sharing man

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)