SM OU Mega Metagross Balance(-ish) Team

Another Megagross Team

Well, it’s been quite a time since SM now and I think it is time to face up the fact Mega Altaria might not be in this generation. So, I’ve been playing in this new meta and kind of getting used to the new threats. I wanted to make a team around one of the best (and most common) megas in OU, Mega Metagross.

Teambuilding Process

The first pokemon in my team was, obviously, Megagross. I think we all know it has some Tough Claws, and a wide movepool.

I had a physical sweeper, I needed a special one, too. Greninja seemed like the most appealing option for me, because of its incredible typing and offensive pressure.

I noticed a foe Greninja can threaten the attacking core really seriously, and I needed a safe switch-in shall a fast special sweeper appear. Mantine’s new access to Roost and HUGE SpD made me try it and later on, stick with it for this team.

I had two sweepers, I had a wall and I needed a pivot which can also act as a physical wall. Ol’ good Landorus immediately came to my mind. It does can fit in most actual teams, and it seemed like a must have.

I love Robin Hoot and I did used it before, but Rapid Spin is much better than Defog, and little Cheaper Decidueye has much better STABS in Power Whip and Anchor Shot, that I had to take out Robin Hoot at the end.

Finally, and to pack up, Steel types were the bane of my team. I used Heatran for quite a long time, knowing that as soon as I saw a Rain Team it was gg for me. Later I thought on Magnezone, which doesn’t needs to attack in order to trap Steels and can also give momentum to the team with volt switch.

The Squad

Altaria-Mega (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
Megagross is the main star of the team, punching holes through the opponent’s as soon as its threats are down. I chose to gave up Zen Headbutt because EQ gives much more coverage and Bullet Punch often helps with Pheromosa and Dugtrio trappers, as well as it compensates (poorly-ish) the sacrifice of speed for bulk.

31st Tauros (Greninja) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Surf
Greninja’s Protean IS great, plus it outspeeds a great chunk of the meta. It is the second part of the offensive core and can serve as a Revenge killer or a late game cleaner. The set is pretty self-explanatory, a fast special sweeper.

Heatrump's Wall (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Scald
- Toxic
Well, the name was better when I used Heatran over Magnezone, but at least it is more respectful than Steve Irwin. Back to the point, Mantine IS a wall, it takes tops 30% in every non-electric special (and even some electric) attack, and can poison or try to burn with scald foes that can be threatening. It can even tank two Pheromosa’s Hi Jump Kicks. Mantine, nevertheless, doesn’t like physical attacks, and that’s when Landorus comes into stage.

Ramborus (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn
Landorus, sweet Landorus. It is the lead I use more often, and it has great defensive synergy with Mantine. Its main role is to punish U-turns, avoid electric attacks and pivot to gain momentum. I used Knock Off over Stone Edge, but rock coverage was needed. 16 Speed Evs to outpace Adamant T-tar, Jolly Magnezone and Azumarill (as stipulated in its smogon page), and the rest dumped in Defense and Hp for as much bulk as posible.

Cheaper Decidueye (Dhelmise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force
Our all-times favorite anchor pokemon, blessed with 131 atk and decent 100/90 defenses, and with not one, not two, but three STAB moves. It works as both a spinner and a spin blocker, and it can effectively trap and kill Water types like Tapu Fini. If Anchor Shot happens to trap a Ferrothorn or another steel type, Magnezone comes in to trap and kill. Leftovers act as a much needed recovery, max attack to hit hard and max HP to tank more hits.

Magnedope (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
It is pretty self explanatory, trap steels and aim to kill. Also, it helps to gain momentum with Volt Switch. Specs make it hit like a trunk, really. It also checks some fairies, but I really have to be careful of a Focus Blast.

Conclusion

To conclude, I think the team can work together, maximizing its abilities and its immunities, and knowing when to switch. Even though, I still have problems with setup sweepers if they are faster than Greninja, and if Mantine falls, dealing with special attackers. I am open to suggestions, that’s what I am posting this, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Importable
Altaria-Mega (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch

31st Tauros (Greninja) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Extrasensory
- Surf

Heatrump's Wall (Mantine) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Scald
- Toxic

Ramborus (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Cheaper Decidueye (Dhelmise) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force

Magnedope (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)