SM OU Mega-Metagross Balance

I decided to build a team around Metagross, since it checks Tapu Lele kinda and it hits a lot of the relevant mons pretty hard like the Tapus, trapper Heatran, Magearna, Buzzwole, ect.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

The main mon I build this team around. Clear Body is the chosen ability so you don't get intimidated by Landorus-T when you mega evolve. The EV spread is to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are used as they are powerful stab attacks. Earthquake is used to hit Heatran, Magearna, and Muk-A. I used to have Ice Punch as my last move, but I changed to Thunder Punch to better deal with Pelipper since if Tapu Fini dies Pelipper 6-0's my team.

Tsareena @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trop Kick
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy/U-Turn

Tsareena is a cool, and underrated spinner. It's very bulky, and is able to repeatedly switch into Specs Greninja and heal off the damage or spin away the hazards. Max SpDef is used to better check Greninja. Trop Kick provides STAB as well as some strong utility, guaranteeing -1 attack. Physical mons that like to switch into Tsareena like Buzzwole, Scizor, Mega-Metagross and Zard-X don't appreciate the -1 attack, and it's usually followed by an Intimidate and some Rocky Helmet damage from Landorus-T. It also KO's Greninja after rocks or any prior damage. Synthesis is used for reliable recovery so it can keep coming in to check Greninja and other special attackers. Rapid Spin is used for hazard removal, and it's not hard to find an opportunity to spin with Tsareena. She can spin on the likes of Greninja, Tapu Koko, Manaphy, Venusaur, Rotom-W, ect. Aromatherapy lets you play your mons more recklessly, notably letting you safely switch Metagross in on Toxapex Scalds. U-Turn is great to keep momentum, allowing you to send in the appropriate mon to fight what's in front of you.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-T was a staple mon in ORAS, and it hasn't change in SuMo. It walls the majority of physical attacks, reliably sets up Stealth Rock, and maintains momentum with U-Turn. The EV spread is to maximize physical bulk while out speeding Zygarde 50% with 0 Speed investment, and most opposing defensive Landorus-T. A Lax nature is used so HP Ice is an almost guaranteed (only two min rolls won't kill) 2HKO on defensive Garchomp. Stealth Rock is used to chip away at the opposing team. Earthquake is a strong stab attack. U-Turn maintains momentum, as the physical attacker will likely switch after taking an Intimidate and Rocky Helmet damage. Hidden Power Ice is used so Landorus isn't set-up fodder for Coil Zygarde, and it also hits opposing Landorus-T on the switch.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 240 HP / 200 Def / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Tapi Fini is a cool mon, it is a great check to rain which would otherwise destroy my team. The EV spread outs speeds most defensive Landorus-T varients, and maximizes physical bulk to compliment Calm Mind. 0 Attack IV's minimizes the damage taken from Foul Play. Scald is Scald. It's a decently strong, high PP, STAB attack with a chance to cripple an opposing mon. Moonblast hits mons like Kingdra, Greninja, Rotom-W, Zygarde, ect. Calm Mind can 6-0 unprepared teams, and compliments the invested bulk in physical defense. Taunt is used to stop mons like Skarmory from phasing you out or setting up hazards.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Celesteela is probably the best wall in the meta right now, walling mons like Scizor, Magearna, Excadrill, Garchomp, and most special attackers including Tapu Lele. The EV spread allows Celesteela to better check fairys, and live a Electric Terrain boosted Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko. Leech Seed increases your ability to wall, and provides more recovery for Celesteela and the team. Protect is good for scouting what attacks your opponent has, and compliments Leech Seed allowing for a free turn of recovery. Heavy Slam is a powerful STAB attack, with Celesteela weighing more than enough to get full (120) base power from the attack. It is a guaranteed OHKO on Tapu Lele and puts big dents in other fairys such as 2HKOing Clefable. Flamethrower is used to stop Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Kartana from using you as set up fodder, 2HKOing Scizor and Ferrothorn while OHKOing Kartana. You can also 1v1 scarf Magnezone from full HP with Leech Seed > Protect > Flamethrower > Protect.

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 112 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Marowak-Alola stops a lot of mons in their tracks. Pokemon like non HP ground Tapu Koko, non Earth Power Heatran, Pheromosa, non Knock Off Scizor, and a lot of slower Pokemon can't deal with Marowak due to it's unique typing and threatening attacks. Thick Club is used to deal tons of damage, even without much investment. Lightning Rod brings another electric immunity to the team, which is appreciated since Landorus can't switch into Dazzling Gleam. The spread allows Marowak to switch into rocks one more time, and out speed Chansey and Clefable. Shadow Bone is a strong STAB attack that doesn't make contact allowing Marowak to safely wear down Landorus-T. Fire Punch is used over Flare Blitz to avoid taking recoil, as I need Marowak to check quite a few mons. Earthquake is good to hit mons like Heatran, Toxapex, TTar, ect. Swords Dance is used to help break through stall.

Landorus-T

Offensive Landorus-T is very strong vs my team, and I usually need to sac a mon to take care of it. Flyinium Z can take care of my own Landorus-T after some prior damage, and nothing else appreciates it.

Stall

Stall is really annoying especially with Unaware Quagsire. Marowak can't break through it, and Skarmory or another check to grass types can just come in on Tsareena.

Trapper Grassinium Z/Scarf Heatran

I can't switch anything into a Magma Storm without it dying right there or on the next turn. Scarf Heatran can be annoying, but it's much easier to deal with.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Tsareena @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Trop Kick
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Lax Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Hey there solid team. One of the biggest issues I could find with this team is the lack of a win condition. While you do have a Metagross that usually doesn't win most games since Offense's main why of beating Metagross is outpacing it and hitting it with a strong move, take Scarf Landorus-T's Earthquake, or Greninja's Dark Pulse for example. Tapu Fini's lack of recovery makes it very hard to beat Offense as it can be weakened and then revenge killed. Also Marowak-A struggles to do what it does best without defog support, because of Stealth Rock slowly chipping it away.

My first change, will be a set change on Tapu Fini. Running Nature's Madness coupled with Taunt also has fantastic Stall Breaking ability as it can bring wear down Pokemon into range of it's attacking move while also preventing the recover. On another note, Tapu Fini can weaken Celesteela which helps out your Metagross a ton. This won't hurt the current set too much as Tapu Fini rarely needs both STABs to succeed. I suggest using Scald for a potential Burn on incoming Celesteela, or Tapu Bulu.

My only change on this thing would be change Thunder Punch to Agility. As I said before, Offense's main way of dealing with this thing is bringing in a faster mon that can revenge kill it, but with Agility it makes it really hard to outpace. You said that Thunder Punch was used solely for Pelipper which "6-0s" your team, but that isn't true at all. For one, Tapu Fini can easily deal with it, it does not appreciate switching into Shadow Bone + Stealth Rocks from Alola-Marowak, while also getting pressured by Celesteela's leech seed, and Metagross' Zen Headbutt. Also note that Jolly nature is used so it's faster than Jolly base 100s which include Charizard, while also outspeeding the likes of Mega Pinsir, and Garchomp.

-->
Since you did say Heatran kinda destroys this team, Stealth Rock Garchomp seems like a fine option. Not only does it beat Heatran but SD Garchomp is a great way to pressure Balance. It can also do some work vs Stall but Skarmory would need to be gone for anything to happen, which can be done with Alolan-Marowak, or Celesteela. Also offensive Landorus-T CANNOT switch into Garchomp if it gets up a Swords Dance as +1 Garchomp 2HKOs.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Agility

Tsareena @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Trop Kick
- Synthesis
- Rapid Spin
- Aromatherapy

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Nature's Madness
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)