National Dex Mega Scizor Balance ft. Slowking-G and Scarfed Rotom-W

Been testing out many different teams on the ladder lately, from HO to Stall, but I found out Balance is much more enjoyable and consistent. As I get higher up on ladder, though, there was a bunch of Lati Balance teams. Thus, I made a Mega Scizor balance team to tackle them. Here it goes:

Team Here in PokePaste

3ani__212-mega__xy.gif

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

The glue of the team, Mega Scizor, is able to blanket-check a bunch of notable threats like Weavile, Lele, and Kyreum and also serve to be a late-game win-con. U-turn to pivot out to another mon safely and escape the omnipresent Magnizone, who only appears when one has Corivknight or is playing a Mega Scizor team :| I’m using a +Def Scizor and with significant SpD to check the mons I mentioned above, with 30 Speed IV to be slower than other Mega Scizor by one.

3ani__472__xy.gif

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 100 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

The Heatran check that every Mega Scizor needs; its primary job is to remove hazards and check Heatran and Toxapex. U-turn instead of Knock Off as this mon is way too passive already to opposing set-up sweepers. Can also be used to stall out some types of semi-stall teams. 112 Speed outspeeds all Heatran that is not scarfed and some EV investment to take Heatran’s moves more comfortably.

3ani__635__xy.gif

Hydreigon @ Groundium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 220 SpA / 48 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Roost
- Nasty Plot

The wallbreaker of the team and a very big threat to balance teams. When stall or balance burns this mon either through Will-o or Scald it’s pretty much over for them, as Chansey or Blissey needs to Toxic it to counter Hydreigon. The only hard counters are Fairy-types, especially Clef as it has the longevity to keep up with the team. It has Earth Power to hit Heatran and Z-Crystal to OKHO Tox after a Nasty Plot. 232 Spe to outspeed Max Speed Lele and some HP and SpD to hit some kind of benchmark I forgot (probably for Heatran and Greninja).

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpA / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Future Sight
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Scald

A very cool mon that deals with Specs Greninja quite nicely: Switches into any move to scout, and depending on the move (which is every move that’s not Ice Beam) switch into Hydreigon and Roost the damage off. Also check Zapdos, Charizard Y, Volcarona, and other mons with Special Fire coverage basically. Future Sight does a huge amount of damage to non-resists and can deal big damage to resists with its coverage moves. EVed to minimize the chances to be 2HKO by Dark Pulse from Greninja.

3ani__479-wash__xy (1).gif

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Def / 92 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

The speed control of the team, and forms a nice Volt-Turn core with other mons on the team. Will-o instead of Pain Split or Defog so it can check many fast physical sweepers like Garchomp and Mega-Lopunny. It threatens Mega Charizard Y with Volt Switch doing 50% to it and brings in Victini to emergency check it. EVed to avoid the OHKO from +2 Garchomp Scale Shot that hits 3 times from full HP.

3ani__494__xy.gif

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Encore

Needed another Fire resist for Zard Y, a mon for against the HP Fire Lele and Flamethrower Clef match-up, and a strong Physical attacker to balance out the team a bit. Victini checks all of those boxes, thus here it is. Classic HDB set with Encore to stop those pesty set-up sweepers, though I guess could also run Toxic. EVed to speed tie with Max Speed base 100s, and the rest into Atk to actually get KOs, not just to threaten them.

Threats to the team:
Since the team attempts to blanket-check many different threats, one will need to make the right decisions to outplay them. Here’s a list of them below:

1666568689928.png
1666568710306.png
1666568731473.png

SD Lando, Garchomp, and Kart: don’t let it set up for free as it’ll be really hard to take them down once they get going.

Note: they usually set up on Gliscor, as it is super passive to those mons, which is why U-turn is preferable to Knock Off. Always U-turn on them to their respective checks to know what set are they.

1666568761165.png

Special Tyranitar: its coverage moves threaten KOs on the defensive cores of this team and is very hard to take down if opponents play correctly. Can wear it down over long matches though.

1666568799806.png
1666568821130.png

Weavile and Lele: You can’t let Scizor die or you basically lose.

1666568847820.png

Magnezone HO teams: they eliminate Scizor and proceed to wreck your face with Lele or Weavile.

1666568870243.png

Clefable: Insane longevity allows it to keep up with the team, and if it’s the rare Calm Mind Flamethrower set, you will have to sack half the team to take it down.

1666568941810.png
1666568906791.png

Latios and Latias with Calm Mind Mystical Fire: Mega Scizor can’t effectively check those two mons, though it falls prey to Encore Victini. (btw if you zoom in on the sprites you can see red eyes for Latios and orange for Latias)

1666569046245.png

Rain teams: you can only pray they can't do much to Hydreigon. Rotom can't really help as it is scarfed, thought you can Willo on the switch to Swampert

Thanks for Reading! I would love to hear some feedback!

Last edited:

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Have you considered :Charizard-Mega-X: as a threat?

It requires very little chip damage done on Gliscor, Rotom-W, and Victini to just breeze through your entire team after a single Dragon Dance. One possible change is to use Rocky Helmet Landorus-T instead of Gliscor because of Intimidate and Charizard usually dies after two Flare Blitz's in conjunction with Rocky Helmet recoil. Another consideration is to take a more defensive approach on Rotom-W and make Victini your speed control.

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 52 Def Gliscor: 301-355 (85.5 - 100.8%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Rotom-Wash: 240-283 (85.4 - 100.7%)

+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 328-386 (96.1 - 113.1%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 459-541 (116.4 - 137.3%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 558-656 (170.6 - 200.6%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor-Mega: 1024-1212 (298.5 - 353.3%)

Have you considered :Charizard-Mega-X: as a threat?

It requires very little chip damage done on Gliscor, Rotom-W, and Victini to just breeze through your entire team after a single Dragon Dance. One possible change is to use Rocky Helmet Landorus-T instead of Gliscor because of Intimidate and Charizard usually dies after two Flare Blitz's in conjunction with Rocky Helmet recoil. Another consideration is to take a more defensive approach on Rotom-W and make Victini your speed control.

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 244 HP / 52 Def Gliscor: 301-355 (85.5 - 100.8%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Rotom-Wash: 240-283 (85.4 - 100.7%)

+1 252 Atk Charizard-Mega-X Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 328-386 (96.1 - 113.1%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Slowking-Galar: 459-541 (116.4 - 137.3%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Dragon Claw vs. 8 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 558-656 (170.6 - 200.6%)

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 16+ Def Scizor-Mega: 1024-1212 (298.5 - 353.3%)
Yo thanks for pointing this out to me:
Actually never considered 3 Attack Zard X as a threat to build my team around, but now that you pointed this out, yeah this mon IS a big problem. I could probably have Rotom run Max HP and Speed, but I will still need to trade like a mon or two to stop it even if I implement Lando.

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 196-232 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(21.7 - 25.7% recoil damage) to itself

Plus some even run Blaze Kick to avoid self-destruction, and they set up late game to clean-up my team after they are chipped :(
Again thanks for your insight, and I'll try to think of a mon besides Quag that can stop it.

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Yo thanks for pointing this out to me:
Actually never considered 3 Attack Zard X as a threat to build my team around, but now that you pointed this out, yeah this mon IS a big problem. I could probably have Rotom run Max HP and Speed, but I will still need to trade like a mon or two to stop it even if I implement Lando.

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 196-232 (51.3 - 60.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(21.7 - 25.7% recoil damage) to itself

Plus some even run Blaze Kick to avoid self-destruction, and they set up late game to clean-up my team after they are chipped :(
Again thanks for your insight, and I'll try to think of a mon besides Quag that can stop it.
Another way to potentially deal with it is to use Tapu Fini instead of Galarian Slowking. It handles Choice Specs Greninja even better, still acts as a decent specially defensive wall, and it frees up a Stealth Rock slot for Gliscor.

Unless there's some speed tier I'm forgetting about (there most def is,) why not go all the way w/ msciz and give it 0 speed ivs, -spe nature?

Also, here's the glowking animation: :ss/slowking-galar:

Unless there's some speed tier I'm forgetting about (there most def is,) why not go all the way w/ msciz and give it 0 speed ivs, -spe nature?

Also, here's the glowking animation: :ss/slowking-galar:
Thanks! I had to use code and link it to the link though. I usually just download the animations from a website that doesn't have gen 8 mons sadly. As for Scizor, I don't really want it to be slow slow, just slower than most other Mega Scizor and pivot out to the appropriate mon if they pivot too. There are threats like bulky Mega T-Tar and Breloom too!

Thanks! I had to use code and link it to the link though. I usually just download the animations from a website that doesn't have gen 8 mons sadly. As for Scizor, I don't really want it to be slow slow, just slower than most other Mega Scizor and pivot out to the appropriate mon if they pivot too. There are threats like bulky Mega T-Tar and Breloom too!
Smogon has all the pokemon sprites you could want, just do :generation/pokemon-name:, so :ss/slowking-galar : without the space would get you the sprite I showed you.

If there's nothing relevant that msciz is underspeeding, there's no shame in making it slower. Mega TTar is somewhat rare and isn't doing too much to you idt, and Breloom straight up isn't seen in high level play.

Smogon has all the pokemon sprites you could want, just do :generation/pokemon-name:, so :ss/slowking-galar : without the space would get you the sprite I showed you.

If there's nothing relevant that msciz is underspeeding, there's no shame in making it slower. Mega TTar is somewhat rare and isn't doing too much to you idt, and Breloom straight up isn't seen in high level play.
oh god that is so convenient! Thanks for letting me know! And making Mega Scizor slower will definitely be considered! thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)