OU Mega Scizor (Revamp)

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Scizor possesses an outstanding defensive typing in Bug / Steel, great defensive stats, and Roost to keep itself healthy, which let it handle titans like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Mega Scizor holds excellent utility thanks to its access to moves like Bullet Punch, Defog, and Knock Off. Access to a STAB priority move in Bullet Punch, which is also boosted by Technician, lets Mega Scizor threaten a variety of Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie. Mega Scizor also has access to setup moves in Curse and Swords Dance, which can let it sweep or clean up late-game. Although Mega Scizor may be capable of beating Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine on their own, they're often paired with Magnezone, which can trap and remove Mega Scizor from the match if not played around cautiously. While Mega Scizor's typing is very strong defensively, it also comes with a downside: it is very susceptible to the decently common Fire-types, and Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie, often run Fire-type coverage to beat it.

[SET]
name: Sweeper
move 1: Curse / Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Roost
move 4: Knock Off / U-turn
item: Scizorite
ability: Light Metal
nature: Impish
evs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats as well, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde. Swords Dance is an alternative to Curse that raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages but doesn't boost Mega Scizor's Defense, which means that it can be rather inconvenient to check Zygarde. Bullet Punch is Mega Scizor's main STAB move and lets it hit Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie for super effective damage. It's also boosted by Technician and is a priority move, which makes up for Mega Scizor's lack of Speed. Roost lets Mega Scizor stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to switch in multiple times. Knock Off lets Mega Scizor remove items from, and potentially break past, defensive stops to it such as Celesteela, Toxapex, and Zapdos. U-turn may be used to generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs, 244 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature allow Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B, giving it an easier time setting up against them. 16 EVs are allocated to Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Magearna's +1 Thunderbolt. A spread consisting of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD and an Impish nature may be used alongside Curse, as it eases the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele quite a lot while maintaining Mega Scizor's ability to check Zygarde. Scizor should immediately Mega Evolve, so forgoing Technician is completely fine because Light Metal has its situational use against Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja. Scizorite is required for Scizor to Mega Evolve into Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor should aim to weaken the opposing team before sweeping by forcing switches and using Knock Off or U-turn. It should be used to pivot into threats like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Don't use Curse or Swords Dance purely to sweep, as Mega Scizor can also be used to defeat Pokemon like Magearna and Ferrothorn. Mega Scizor can lay pressure on the opponent's team by using Curse or Swords Dance to force a switch so that it can freely use Knock Off or U-turn to weaken the team. Always scout for Fire-type coverage on Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie. If the opponent has Magnezone, Mega Scizor should be wary of using Curse or Swords Dance and should instead always use U-turn or double switch out. You should also be cautious when knocking out Pokemon, as this can give Magnezone a free switch in and result in a knocked out Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Zygarde can pressure Fire-, Steel-, and Electric-types like Heatran, Celesteela, and Zapdos, all of which Mega Scizor tends to struggle against. Mega Scizor can heavily pressure Fairy-, Ice-, and Grass-types for Zygarde in return. It's also capable of getting Zygarde a free switch in with U-turn. Toxapex and Gastrodon can take on Fire-, Water-, and Steel-types for Mega Scizor. Gastrodon also takes on a majority of Electric-types very well. In return, Mega Scizor lays pressure on Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Kartana, which can try to take advantage of Toxapex and Gastrodon. Heatran is an excellent teammate because it has an immunity to Fire and appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to take on Ground-types like Zygarde and Mamoswine. Defoggers such as Tornadus-T and Zapdos are great because Mega Scizor may experience trouble checking Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if entry hazards are on the field. In contrast, Mega Scizor appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field to consistently wear down switch-ins such as Toxapex and Heatran, allowing it to sweep more easily. Entry hazard setters such as Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Greninja are notable partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Scizor can opt to run a faster spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 16 Def / 220 Spe in tandem with Superpower and Swords Dance. The given Speed investment lets it outspeed Timid maximum Speed Magnezone. A utility set consisting of Bullet Punch, Roost, U-turn, and Defog, Pursuit, or Hidden Power Ice in the last slot can be used if Mega Scizor is needed on a team and not for its sweeping capabilities. It should, however, be noted that it's a very poor Defogger, as it doesn't match up well against a majority of the entry hazard setters and other Defoggers. Pursuit can let Mega Scizor trap Mega Alakazam and Mega Latios, as well as Choice-locked Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U, but there's very little reason to use Pursuit outside of that. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage because this Mega Scizor set is very weak. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire can be used against Kartana and opposing Mega Scizor. Toxic may be used on Mega Scizor's utility set to cripple common switch-ins like Zapdos and Landorus-T, but Mega Scizor usually lacks the moveslot to fit it in. You can try to outspeed opposing Mega Scizor with this set to potentially 2HKO it before it can recover back its health with Roost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Toxapex is by far the best switch-in to Mega Scizor due to its typing, bulk, and access to Haze. Rotom-W and Keldeo can switch into Mega Scizor, as they fear very little from it and can burn it; they are prone to getting worn down, however. Other Water-types such as Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados can put Mega Scizor in unfavorable positions. Gyarados can easily take any of Mega Scizor's attacks and use it as bait to set up with Dragon Dance, though Mega Gyarados has to be wary of Curse and U-turn.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate non-U-turn Mega Scizor thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it. Non-Choice Scarf variants should, however, be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.

**Fire-types and Coverage**: Using Heatran is one of the best ways to beat Mega Scizor, courtesy of its typing and bulk. Volcarona and Mega Charizard X and Y are also good switch-ins, as they can OHKO Mega Scizor with their respective STAB moves. Mega Charizard X and Volcarona can also use Mega Scizor as setup bait. Magearna, Mega Latias, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie—Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check—often run Fire-type coverage moves to defeat it. Tapu Lele deserves a special mention, as it not only tends to run Fire-type coverage but also cancels out Bullet Punch by setting up Psychic Terrain.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Celesteela and Skarmory fear very little from Mega Scizor, except for Knock Off. Celesteela can easily beat Mega Scizor with Flamethrower, while Skarmory takes very little damage from anything Mega Scizor might want to attack it with and can phaze it with Whirlwind.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric resist Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and can retaliate with Heat Wave, Flamethrower, or Overheat. Mega Manectric is prone to being worn down and Zapdos doesn't want to get hit by Knock Off, which makes it undesirable to consistently switch them into Mega Scizor.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Tapu Koko and Tornadus-T can pressure Mega Scizor due to its rather lacking Special Defense stat. Tapu Koko can deal heavy damage to Mega Scizor with STAB Thunderbolt and can even OHKO it with a special Gigavolt Havoc. Tornadus-T can deal heavy amounts of damage with Supersonic Skystrike to Mega Scizor, and even Hurricane 2HKOes it after Stealth Rock damage. It should, however, be noted that they are prone to getting overwhelmed by Swords Dance Mega Scizor due to their lack of bulk and resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
couple suggestions.

[Overview]
* Mega Scizor may be capable of beating Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine on their own, but they're often paired with Magnezone, which can trap and remove Mega Scizor from the match.
I don't think its all that simple, Magnezone can't just come in on Mega Scizor as it will likely U-turn (Doesn't apply to Knock Off variants ig, but still) out if Mega Scizor is needed to be healthy to check these. Just try to reword this to make it more evident the Mega Scizor player can circumvent Magnezone to some extent.
* While only having a weakness to Fire is great, it also comes with a downside, which is that Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie often run Fire-type coverage to beat Mega Scizor.
Rather nitpicky, but I'd at least mention these two fear a Bullet Punch, so again, counterplay, they gotta get Mega Scizor on a switch in.

[Sweeper - Set Details]
* 248 HP coupled with 252 Defense and an Impish nature allows Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B.
Maybe you should mention something about the added bulk giving it more set up opportunities. I feel like that's a considerable draw from Impish Mega Scizor.
* Light Metal has its situational use against trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja.
Mention that Mega Scizor should always Mega Evolve before clicking a move so forgoing Technician is fine.

[Sweeper - Usage Tips]
* If the opponent has Magnezone, Mega Scizor should never use Swords Dance or Curse, instead it should always use U-turn or double out.
say that it should also refrain from knocking a Pokémon not to give Magnezone a free switch in, unless necessary. Basically, tell the player to gauge that knocking a mon out with Mega Scizor means having it knocked out.

[Utility - Moves]
* Defog can clear entry hazards for its team, it can also remove Light Screen, Reflect, and Aurora Veil from Tapu Koko and Alolan Ninetales.
I think this is more of a GP thing but I'd add a "respectively" at the end of the sentence.
* U-turn prevents Mega Scizor from being too passive against opposing Pokemon. U-turn can be used to pivot out of battle and bring in dangerous Pokemon like Zygarde and Greninja.
Not sure if Zygarde is the best example here, perhaps some frailer Pokémon like Mega Alakazam and Weavile would be better?

[Utility - Set Details]
* Light Metal has the best situational use against Trace users like Mega Alakazam and Low Kick users like Greninja and Weavile.
I'd do the same of last time. Clarify a bit about Technician being useless pre-Mega.

[Utility - Usage Tips]
* Use U-turn to switch in offensive threats to lay pressure on the opposing team.
I'd just add here to be careful to U-turn and let Mega Scizor get overly weak, for instance, if it U-turns out on Choice Band Kartana instead of Roosting, it won't be able to switch on it later on.

[Utility - Team Options]
* Zapdos appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to remove Stealth Rock, which lets it effectively run both Hidden Power Ice and Heat Wave. It can handle Pokemon like Celesteela for Mega Scizor.
I'm not really sold on this core, while Mega Scizor does help out Zapdos to take on the likes of Weavile, Mamoswine, and both Tyranitar formes, I can't really see what Zapdos adds to the core, to be honest, I mean like it handles Hawlucha and Mega Pinsir a bit better, but I think this core has a bit too much overlap to make it actually useful.

[Checks and Counters]
**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate Mega Scizor thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it.
I'd at least give a brief mention that Mega Scizor can to some extent play around it.
**Fire-types**: Mega Scizor is a free switch in for Fire-types like Heatran, Volcarona, and both Mega Charizards. They can all OHKO Mega Scizor with their respective STAB moves. Mega Charizard X and Volcarona can also easily use Mega Scizor as set up bait.
**Fire-type Coverage**: Pokemon such as Magearna, Mega Latias, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie, Pokemon Mega Scizor is supposed to check, often run Fire-type coverage moves to defeat it.
You should merge these two into "**Fire-types and coverage**" Also give Tapu Lele a special mention specially because it can avoid Bullet Punch
**Electric-types**: Electric-type Pokemon like Tapu Koko, Zapdos, Mega Manectric, and both Thundurus formes can beat Mega Scizor by virtue of their typing and moves. Tapu Koko can deal heavy damage to Mega Scizor with STAB Thunderbolt and can even OHKO it with a special Gigavolt Havoc. Zapdos can easily take any hit from Mega Scizor and retaliate with Heat Wave. Mega Manectric can switch into Mega Scizor relatively easy thanks to its access to Intimidate and can OHKO Mega Scizor with Overheat and Flamethrower. Thundurus and Thundurus-T can 2HKO Mega Scizor with Thunderbolt and they can even set up with Nasty Plot against Mega Scizor.
Honestly, I don't really think this section is all that necessary, I think something on Special attackers would better reflect Mega Scizor's rather lackluster Special Defense, you can keep the mention of Tapu Koko but also talk about (Thicc) Tornadus-T, Shift Magearna and so on.

Good shit my bro. Only implement what you agree with!

couple suggestions.

[Overview]
I don't think its all that simple, Magnezone can't just come in on Mega Scizor as it will likely U-turn (Doesn't apply to Knock Off variants ig, but still) out if Mega Scizor is needed to be healthy to check these. Just try to reword this to make it more evident the Mega Scizor player can circumvent Magnezone to some extent.Rather nitpicky, but I'd at least mention these two fear a Bullet Punch, so again, counterplay, they gotta get Mega Scizor on a switch in.

[Sweeper - Set Details]
Maybe you should mention something about the added bulk giving it more set up opportunities. I feel like that's a considerable draw from Impish Mega Scizor.Mention that Mega Scizor should always Mega Evolve before clicking a move so forgoing Technician is fine.

[Sweeper - Usage Tips]
say that it should also refrain from knocking a Pokémon not to give Magnezone a free switch in, unless necessary. Basically, tell the player to gauge that knocking a mon out with Mega Scizor means having it knocked out.

[Utility - Moves]
I think this is more of a GP thing but I'd add a "respectively" at the end of the sentence.Not sure if Zygarde is the best example here, perhaps some frailer Pokémon like Mega Alakazam and Weavile would be better?

[Utility - Set Details]
I'd do the same of last time. Clarify a bit about Technician being useless pre-Mega.

[Utility - Usage Tips]
I'd just add here to be careful to U-turn and let Mega Scizor get overly weak, for instance, if it U-turns out on Choice Band Kartana instead of Roosting, it won't be able to switch on it later on.

[Utility - Team Options]
I'm not really sold on this core, while Mega Scizor does help out Zapdos to take on the likes of Weavile, Mamoswine, and both Tyranitar formes, I can't really see what Zapdos adds to the core, to be honest, I mean like it handles Hawlucha and Mega Pinsir a bit better, but I think this core has a bit too much overlap to make it actually useful.

[Checks and Counters]
I'd at least give a brief mention that Mega Scizor can to some extent play around it.You should merge these two into "**Fire-types and coverage**" Also give Tapu Lele a special mention specially because it can avoid Bullet PunchHonestly, I don't really think this section is all that necessary, I think something on Special attackers would better reflect Mega Scizor's rather lackluster Special Defense, you can keep the mention of Tapu Koko but also talk about (Thicc) Tornadus-T, Shift Magearna and so on.

Good shit my bro. Only implement what you agree with!
I didn't remove the Zapdos mention but I did everything else.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Access to Bullet Punch lets Mega Scizor outspeed a variety of Pokemon
I know it technically outspeeds them because it’s priority but it still sounds awkward so I’d reword this to something that doesnt explicitely mention outspeeding
which lets it effectively check Pokemon like Landorus-T, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde.
I’d specify “pokemon that can boost their atk” or something cause it doesnt need curse to check non boosting sets (band kart av bulu etc)
Mega Scizor can take a more offensive approach with Swords Dance, utilizing Superpower, Bug Bite, and maximum Attack and Speed investment. This set however loses out on all of Me
Honestly just cut this set, I know its oo but a scizor with 0 defensive presence that will never sweep vs heatran pex etc seems ultra unviable
Gyarados can easily take any of Mega Scizor's attacks and use it as set up bait to set up with Dragon Dance.
mention that mgyara has to be wary of curse mzor which can set up alongside it assuming no flinches

Good job 1/3

I know it technically outspeeds them because it’s priority but it still sounds awkward so I’d reword this to something that doesnt explicitely mention outspeeding

I’d specify “pokemon that can boost their atk” or something cause it doesnt need curse to check non boosting sets (band kart av bulu etc)

Honestly just cut this set, I know its oo but a scizor with 0 defensive presence that will never sweep vs heatran pex etc seems ultra unviable

mention that mgyara has to be wary of curse mzor which can set up alongside it assuming no flinches

Good job 1/3
did this

e: i made curse front slash

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just some suggestions, feel free to ignore them if you disagree. Also the formatting for this is the old analysis format, I'm 90% sure we use bullet points instead of the old asterisks before we do writeups but I guess that's your choice since it won't matter in the end after all.

Overview
The last line kinda feels like something that belongs in C&C more than the overview seeing as its talking about what specifically Mega Scizor struggles to beat, I'd replace that with a more general comment about its typing.

Usage Tips
Avoid using definite statements like "should never" because that simply isn't accurate a lot of the time. There's situations where you can SD on a forced Recover and Knock Off the incoming Magnezone, so "should be wary of" would work better here.

Team Options
No offense, but I've always hated analyses that waste space in team options talking solely about type synergy when frankly its not the first thing that comes to mind when building. If you want to keep type synergy mentions to help newer builders, then I would condense it down and add notable examples of good teammates instead of just talking about them generally like you are. I'd reword this to be more specific when talking about what pairs well with Mega Scizor. For example, mentioning how spikes from ferro/gren wears down pex and tran, arguably the two best sciz answers in the tier is a lot more useful to a reader than "heatran can switch into fire type attacks for the bug type". This might just be my personal opinion, but I wanted to say that here. I would also replace Tapu Koko with something like Zapdos or another Defogger that beats Ferrothorn because Spikes annoy Mega Scizor WAY more than SR does and Tapu Koko is horrible at dealing with spikers.

Other Options
Mention fast Sciz, it's honestly not bad at all and can catch Magnezone off guard with Knock Off + Superpower. Offensive SD definitely still deserves a mention somewhere in here because it's still a solid set that has its merits and can annoy the shit out of the Bulu balances that are foregoing Toxapex.

C&C
Toxapex honestly deserves its own bullet point because its the best defensive counterplay to Mega Scizor in the entire tier. If you do this, I'd just delete the water type bullet point altogether because shit like rotom and keldeo are just bad pokemon and not even that consistent as answers to sciz bc of their lack of reliable recovery. I suppose you could say offensive waters and mention keld + misc rain abusers but that's the most I'd limit this section to. Rephrase the fire types section so that Heatran gets an elevated mention and everything else is mentioned after. The second sentence in the fire section seems really fluffy, just say that Mega Scizor has to be wary of Fire-type coverage from x, y, and z mons and it gets the point across just as well. "Zapdos and Mega Manectric" can just be changed to Electric-types, Tapu Koko not checking Mega Scizor because its a fairy type is just common sense and doesn't warrant the long ass name for this bullet point.

Generally in this section, I like to personally mention what these Pokemon need to be wary about when dealing with Mega Scizor because it does help readers a lot when playing and building their teams to deal with sciz. For example, in the special attackers section you can mention how neither is a reliable answer to Mega Scizor due to exploding when hit with +2 BP.

Edit: defog is bad poopy garbage qc please remove

Last edited:
I implemented this. I only left out the Other Options part, I will leave this to the rest of QC.

e: discussed with qc, utility now resides in oo.

Last edited:

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
* Defoggers such as Tornadus-T and Mamoswine are great to keep hazards off the field, because Mega Scizor may experience trouble to check Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if hazards are on the field.
Defog Mamo when

**Magnezone**: ... Non-Choice Scarf variants should however be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.
you should mention Superpower in OO if you're gonna leave this part in

great work, qc 2/3

frostration

i probably have a headache
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck! use whatever you'd like, and let me know if you have any questions or concerns!
add | remove | [comments] | [AC = add comma] | [RC = remove comma] | [RH = remove hyphen] | [AH = add hyphen]
[OVERVIEW]

Mega Scizor possesses over an outstanding defensive typing in Bug / Steel, great defensive stats, and can Roost to keep itself healthy with Roost [parallelism], which lets it handle titans like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Mega Scizor holds excellent utility thanks to its access to moves like Bullet Punch, Defog, and Knock Off. Access to a STAB priority move in Bullet Punch, [AC] which is also boosted by Technician, [AC] and a STAB boost lets Mega Scizor threaten a variety of Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie. Mega Scizor also has access to set up set-up moves in Curse and Swords Dance, which can let it sweep or clean up late-game. Mega Scizor may be capable of beating Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine on their own, but they're but is [changed to avoid a non-essential appositive] often paired with Magnezone, which can trap and remove Mega Scizor from the match if not played around cautiously. While only having a weakness to Fire-type moves is great, it also comes with a downside: which is that Pokemon that Mega Scizor is are supposed to check, [AC] such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie, [AC] often run Fire-type coverage to beat Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor's typing is very strong defensively; [added semicolon] however, it does leave it Mega Scizor very susceptible to common Fire-types, which are decently common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse only boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, and also boosts Mega Scizor's Defense stat by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde. Swords Dance is an alternative to Curse that raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages [RC] but doesn't boost its Defense, which means it can be rather unconvenient to check Zygarde. Bullet Punch is Mega Scizor's main STAB move and lets it hit Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie for super effective damage. It's also boosted by Technician and is a priority move, which makes up for Mega Scizor's lack in Speed. Roost lets Mega Scizor stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to switch in multiple times in the match. Knock Off lets Mega Scizor remove items from [RC] and potentially break past defensive stops to it, [AC] such as Celesteela, Toxapex, and Zapdos. U-turn may be used to generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs, [AC] coupled with 244 Defense EVs, [AC] and an Impish nature allows Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B. It The EVs and nature also gives it an easier time setting up against the aforementioned Pokemon. 16 EVs are allocated in to Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from a +1 Thunderbolt from Magearna. A spread consisting of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD and an Impish nature may very well be used alongside Curse, [AC] as it eases they ease the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele quite a lot [RC] while maintaining its ability to check Zygarde. Scizor should immediately mega evolve Mega Evolve, [AC] so forgoing Technician is completely fine as because Light Metal has its situational use against trace Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja. Scizorite is required for Scizor to mega evolve Mega Evolve into Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor should aim to weaken the opposing team before sweeping by forcing switches and using Knock Off or U-turn. It should be used to pivot into threats like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Don't use Curse or Swords Dance purely to sweep, as it Mega Scizor can also be used to defeat Pokemon like Magearna and Ferrothorn. Mega Scizor can lay pressure on the opponent's team by using Curse or Swords Dance to force a switch so that it can freely use Knock Off or U-turn to weaken the team. Always scout for Fire-type coverage on Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie. If the opponent has Magnezone, Mega Scizor should be wary of using Curse or Swords Dance [RC] instead it and should always use U-turn or double switch out. You should also be cautious with knocking out Pokemon, [AC] as this can give Magnezone a free switch in [RH], which will and result in a knocked out Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Zygarde can pressure Fire-, Steel-, and Electric-types like Heatran, Celesteela, and Zapdos, all of which Mega Scizor tends to struggle against. Mega Scizor can heavily pressure Fairy-, Ice-, and Grass-types for Zygarde in return. It's also capable of getting Zygarde in for free a free switch in with U-turn. Toxapex and Gastrodon can take on Fire-, Water-, and Steel-types for Mega Scizor. Gastrodon also takes on a majority of the Electric-types very well. In return, Mega Scizor lays pressure on Grass-types, [AC] such as Tapu Bulu and Kartana, which can try to take advantage of Toxapex and Gastrodon. Heatran is an excellent teammate because it has an immunity to Fire-types and appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to take on Ground-types like Zygarde and Mamoswine. Defoggers, [AC] such as Tornadus-T and Zapdos, [AC] are great to keep entry hazards off the field [RC] because Mega Scizor may experience trouble to check with checking Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if entry hazards are on the field. In contrast, Mega Scizor appreciates entry hazards on the opposing field to consistently wear down switch-ins [AH] such as Toxapex and Heatran, allowing Mega Scizor to faciliate a sweep easier more easily. Entry Hhazard setters, [AC] such as Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Greninja, [AC] are notable partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Scizor can opt to run a faster spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 16 Def / 220 Spe in tandem with Superpower and Swords Dance. tThe given Speed investmentlets investment lets it outspeed Timid maximum Speed Magnezone. A utility set consisting of Bullet Punch / Roost / U-turn Bullet Punch, Roost, U-Turn, and Defog, Pursuit, or Hidden Power Ice in the last slot can be used if Mega Scizor is needed on a team and not for its sweeping capabilities. It should, [AC] however, [AC] be noted that it's a very poor Defogger, [AC] as it doesn't matchup match up well against a majority of the entry hazard setters and other Defoggers. Pursuit can let it Pursuit Mega Scizor trap Mega Alakazam [RC] and Mega Latios, aswell as well as Choice-locked Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U, but there's very little reason to use it Pursuit outside of that. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage because this Mega Scizor set is very weak. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire can be used against Kartana and opposing Mega Scizor for 4x super effective damage. Toxic may be used on Mega Scizor's utility set to cripple common switch-ins like Zapdos and Landorus-T, but it Mega Scizor usually lacks the moveslot to fit it in. Hidden Power Fire can be used for similar reasons like Hidden Power Ice, but instead of hitting Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, it can hit Kartana and Mega Scizor for 4x super effective damage. [moved the previous sentence next to Hidden Power Ice to contrast more effectively] You can try to outspeed other opposing Mega Scizor with this set to potentially 2HKO it before it can recover back its health with Roost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Toxapex is by far the best switch-in [AH] to Mega Scizor due to its typing, bulk, and access to Haze. Other Water-types such as Rotom-W [RC] and Keldeo can switch into Mega Scizor, [AC] as they fear very little from it [RC] and can burn it; they are prone to getting worn down, however. Other Water-types, [AC] such as Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados, [AC] can put Mega Scizor in unfavorable positions. Gyarados can easily take any of Mega Scizor's attacks and use it as set up bait to set up with Dragon Dance, though Mega Gyarados has to be wary of Curse and U-turn.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate Mega Scizor if it doesn't use U-turn thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it. Non-Choice Scarf variants should, [AC] however, [AC] be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.

**Fire-types and cCoverage**: Using Heatran is one of the best ways to beat Mega Scizor, courtesy of its typing and bulk. Volcarona [RC] and both Mega Charizards X and Y are also good switch-ins, [AH + AC] as they can OHKO Mega Scizor with their respective STAB moves. Mega Charizard X and Volcarona can also use Mega Scizor as set up set-up bait. Pokemon such as Magearna, Mega Latias, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie—Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check—often run Fire-type coverage moves to defeat it. Tapu Lele deserves a special mention, [AC] as it not only tends to run Fire-type coverage [RC] but also cancels out Bullet Punch by setting up Psychic Terrain.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Celesteela and Skarmory fear very little from Mega Scizor, [AC] except for Knock Off. Celesteela can easily beat Mega Scizor with Flamethrower, while Skarmory takes very little damage from anything Mega Scizor might want to attack it with [RC] and can phaze it out with Whilrwind Whirlwind.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric resist Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and can retaliate with Heat Wave, Flamethrower, or Overheat respectively. Mega Manectric is prone to being worn down and Zapdos doesn't want to get hit by Knock Off, which makes it undesirable to consistently switch them into Mega Scizor.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers, [AC] such as Tapu Koko and Tornadus-T, [AC] can pressure Mega Scizor due to because of its rather lacking Special Defense stat. Tapu Koko can deal heavy damage to Mega Scizor with STAB Thunderbolt and can even OHKO it with a special Gigavolt Havoc. Tornadus-T can deal heavy amounts of damage with Supersonic Skystrike to Mega Scizor, and even Hurricane 2HKOes it after Stealth Rock damage. It should, [AC] however, [AC] be noted that they are prone to getting overwhelmed by Swords Dance Mega Scizor due to their lack of bulk and resistance.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2 using most of above, blue = add and red = remove as usual

trying to get this onsite in the next ~10 hours for social media reasons
[OVERVIEW]

Mega Scizor possesses over an outstanding defensive typing in Bug / Steel, great defensive stats, and can Roost to keep itself healthy with Roost [parallelism], which lets it handle titans like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Mega Scizor holds excellent utility thanks to its access to moves like Bullet Punch, Defog, and Knock Off. Access to a STAB priority move in Bullet Punch, [AC] which is also boosted by Technician, [AC] and a STAB boost lets Mega Scizor threaten a variety of Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie. Mega Scizor also has access to set up setup moves in Curse and Swords Dance, which can let it sweep or clean up late-game. Although Mega Scizor may be capable of beating Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine on their own, but they're often paired with Magnezone, which can trap and remove Mega Scizor from the match if not played around cautiously. While Mega Scizor's typing is very strong defensively, only having a weakness to Fire is great, it also comes with a downside: it is very susceptible to the decently common Fire-types, and which is that Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, [AC] such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie, [AC] often run Fire-type coverage to beat it Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor's typing is very strong defensively; however, it does leave it very susceptible to Fire-types, which are decently common.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse only boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, and also boosts Mega Scizor's Defense stat by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats as well, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde. Swords Dance is an alternative to Curse that raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages [RC] but doesn't boost its Defense, which means it can be rather inconvenient to check Zygarde. Bullet Punch is Mega Scizor's main STAB move and lets it hit Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie for super effective damage. It's also boosted by Technician and is a priority move, which makes up for Mega Scizor's lack in of Speed. Roost lets Mega Scizor stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to switch in multiple times in the match. Knock Off lets Mega Scizor remove items from, and potentially break past, defensive stops to it such as Celesteela, Toxapex, and Zapdos. U-turn may be used to generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs, [AC] coupled with 244 Defense EVs, [AC] and an Impish nature allows Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B, giving. It also gives it an easier time setting up against them aforementioned Pokemon. 16 EVs are allocated in to Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from a Magearna's +1 Thunderbolt from Magearna. A spread consisting of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD and an Impish nature may very well be used alongside Curse, [AC] as it eases they ease the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele quite a lot [RC] while maintaining its ability to check Zygarde. Scizor should immediately mega evolve Mega Evolve, [AC] so forgoing Technician is completely fine as because Light Metal has its situational use against trace Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja. Scizorite is required for Scizor to mega evolve Mega Evolve into Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor should aim to weaken the opposing team before sweeping by forcing switches and using Knock Off or U-turn. It should be used to pivot into threats like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Don't use Curse or Swords Dance purely to sweep, as it Mega Scizor can also be used to defeat Pokemon like Magearna and Ferrothorn. Mega Scizor can lay pressure on the opponent's team by using Curse or Swords Dance to force a switch so that it can freely use Knock Off or U-turn to weaken the team. Always scout for Fire-type coverage on Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie. If the opponent has Magnezone, Mega Scizor should be wary of using Curse or Swords Dance [RC] instead it and should instead always use U-turn or double switch out. You should also be cautious with when knocking out Pokemon, [AC] as this can give Magnezone a free switch in [RH], which will and result in a knocked out Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Zygarde can pressure Fire-, Steel-, and Electric-types like Heatran, Celesteela, and Zapdos, all of which Mega Scizor tends to struggle against. Mega Scizor can heavily pressure Fairy-, Ice-, and Grass-types for Zygarde in return. It's also capable of getting Zygarde in for free a free switch in with U-turn. Toxapex and Gastrodon can take on Fire-, Water-, and Steel-types for Mega Scizor. Gastrodon also takes on a majority of the Electric-types very well. In return, Mega Scizor lays pressure on Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Kartana, which can try to take advantage of Toxapex and Gastrodon. Heatran is an excellent teammate because it has an immunity to Fire-types and appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to take on Ground-types like Zygarde and Mamoswine. Defoggers such as Tornadus-T and Zapdos are great to keep hazards off the field because Mega Scizor may experience trouble to check checking Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if entry hazards are on the field. In contrast, Mega Scizor appreciates entry hazards on the opposing field to consistently wear down switch-ins [AH] such as Toxapex and Heatran, allowing Mega Scizor to faciliate a sweep easier more easily. Entry Hhazard setters such as Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Greninja are notable partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Scizor can opt to run a faster spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 16 Def / 220 Spe in tandem with Superpower and Swords Dance. tThe given Speed investmentlets investment lets it outspeed Timid maximum Speed Magnezone. A utility set consisting of Bullet Punch / Roost / U-turn Bullet Punch, Roost, U-turn, and Defog, Pursuit, or Hidden Power Ice in the last slot can be used if Mega Scizor is needed on a team and not for its sweeping capabilities. It should, [AC] however, [AC] be noted that it's a very poor Defogger, [AC] as it doesn't matchup match up well against a majority of the entry hazard setters and other Defoggers. Pursuit can let it Pursuit Mega Scizor trap Mega Alakazam [RC] and Mega Latios, aswell as well as Choice-locked Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U, but there's very little reason to use it Pursuit outside of that. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage because this Mega Scizor set is very weak. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire can be used against Kartana and opposing Mega Scizor. Toxic may be used on Mega Scizor's utility set to cripple common switch-ins like Zapdos and Landorus-T, but it Mega Scizor usually lacks the moveslot to fit it in. Hidden Power Fire can be used for similar reasons like Hidden Power Ice, but instead of hitting Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor, it can hit Kartana and Mega Scizor for 4x super effective damage. [moved the previous sentence next to Hidden Power Ice to contrast more effectively] You can try to outspeed other opposing Mega Scizor with this set to potentially 2HKO it before it can recover back its health with Roost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Toxapex is by far the best switch-in [AH] to Mega Scizor due to its typing, bulk, and access to Haze. Other Water-types such as Rotom-W [RC] and Keldeo can switch into Mega Scizor, [AC] as they fear very little from it [RC] and can burn it; they are prone to getting worn down, however. Other Water-types such as Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados can put Mega Scizor in unfavorable positions. Gyarados can easily take any of Mega Scizor's attacks and use it as set up bait to set up with Dragon Dance, though Mega Gyarados has to be wary of Curse and U-turn.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate Mega Scizor if it doesn't use U-turn thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it. Non-Choice Scarf variants should, [AC] however, [AC] be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.

**Fire-types and cCoverage**: Using Heatran is one of the best ways to beat Mega Scizor, courtesy of its typing and bulk. Volcarona [RC] and both Mega Charizards X and Y are also good switch-ins, [AH + AC] as they can OHKO Mega Scizor with their respective STAB moves. Mega Charizard X and Volcarona can also use Mega Scizor as set up setup bait. Pokemon such as Magearna, Mega Latias, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie—Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check—often run Fire-type coverage moves to defeat it. Tapu Lele deserves a special mention, [AC] as it not only tends to run Fire-type coverage [RC] but also cancels out Bullet Punch by setting up Psychic Terrain.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Celesteela and Skarmory fear very little from Mega Scizor, [AC] except for Knock Off. Celesteela can easily beat Mega Scizor with Flamethrower, while Skarmory takes very little damage from anything Mega Scizor might want to attack it with [RC] and can phaze it out with Whilrwind Whirlwind.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric resist Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and can retaliate with Heat Wave, Flamethrower, or Overheat respectively. Mega Manectric is prone to being worn down and Zapdos doesn't want to get hit by Knock Off, which makes it undesirable to consistently switch them into Mega Scizor.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Tapu Koko and Tornadus-T can pressure Mega Scizor due to its rather lacking Special Defense stat. Tapu Koko can deal heavy damage to Mega Scizor with STAB Thunderbolt and can even OHKO it with a special Gigavolt Havoc. Tornadus-T can deal heavy amounts of damage with Supersonic Skystrike to Mega Scizor, and even Hurricane 2HKOes it after Stealth Rock damage. It should, [AC] however, [AC] be noted that they are prone to getting overwhelmed by Swords Dance Mega Scizor due to their lack of bulk and resistance.

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy

[OVERVIEW]

Mega Scizor possesses an outstanding defensive typing in Bug / Steel, great defensive stats, and Roost to keep itself healthy, which let it handle titans like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Mega Scizor holds excellent utility thanks to its access to moves like Bullet Punch, Defog, and Knock Off. Access to a STAB priority move in Bullet Punch, which is also boosted by Technician, lets Mega Scizor threaten a variety of Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie. Mega Scizor also has access to setup moves in Curse and Swords Dance, which can let it sweep or clean up late-game. Although Mega Scizor may be capable of beating Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine on their own, they're often paired with Magnezone, which can trap and remove Mega Scizor from the match if not played around cautiously. While Mega Scizor's typing is very strong defensively, it also comes with a downside: it is very susceptible to the decently common Fire-types, and Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie, often run Fire-type coverage to beat it.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats as well, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde. Swords Dance is an alternative to Curse that raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages but doesn't boost its Mega Scizor's Defense (although im not the biggest fan of using a Pokemon's name repeatedly, "its" wasn't referring to Mega Scizor but was instead referring to its Attack stat, and its Attack Stat doesn't have a defense stat), which means that it can be rather inconvenient to check Zygarde. Bullet Punch is Mega Scizor's main STAB move and lets it hit Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie for super effective damage. It's also boosted by Technician and is a priority move, which makes up for Mega Scizor's lack of Speed. Roost lets Mega Scizor stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to switch in multiple times. Knock Off lets Mega Scizor remove items from, and potentially break past, defensive stops to it such as Celesteela, Toxapex, and Zapdos. U-turn may be used to generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs, 244 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature allow Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B, giving it an easier time setting up against them. 16 EVs are allocated to Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Magearna's +1 Thunderbolt. A spread consisting of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD and an Impish nature may be used alongside Curse, as they ease it eases (the subject was the spread, which is singular) the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele quite a lot while maintaining its Mega Scizor's ability to check Zygarde. Scizor should immediately Mega Evolve, so forgoing Technician is completely fine because Light Metal has its situational use against Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja. Scizorite is required for Scizor to Mega Evolve into Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor should aim to weaken the opposing team before sweeping by forcing switches and using Knock Off or U-turn. It should be used to pivot into threats like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Don't use Curse or Swords Dance purely to sweep, as Mega Scizor can also be used to defeat Pokemon like Magearna and Ferrothorn. Mega Scizor can lay pressure on the opponent's team by using Curse or Swords Dance to force a switch so that it can freely use Knock Off or U-turn to weaken the team. Always scout for Fire-type coverage on Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check, such as Kyurem-B and Mega Diancie. If the opponent has Magnezone, Mega Scizor should be wary of using Curse or Swords Dance and should instead always use U-turn or double switch out. You should also be cautious when knocking out Pokemon, as this can give Magnezone a free switch in and result in a knocked out Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Zygarde can pressure Fire-, Steel-, and Electric-types like Heatran, Celesteela, and Zapdos, all of which Mega Scizor tends to struggle against. Mega Scizor can heavily pressure Fairy-, Ice-, and Grass-types for Zygarde in return. It's also capable of getting Zygarde a free switch in with U-turn. Toxapex and Gastrodon can take on Fire-, Water-, and Steel-types for Mega Scizor. Gastrodon also takes on a majority of the Electric-types very well. In return, Mega Scizor lays pressure on Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Kartana, which can try to take advantage of Toxapex and Gastrodon. Heatran is an excellent teammate because it has an immunity to Fire and appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to take on Ground-types like Zygarde and Mamoswine. Defoggers such as Tornadus-T and Zapdos are great because Mega Scizor may experience trouble checking Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if entry hazards are on the field. In contrast, Mega Scizor appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field to consistently wear down switch-ins such as Toxapex and Heatran, allowing Mega Scizor it to sweep more easily. Entry hazard setters such as Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Greninja are notable partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Scizor can opt to run a faster spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 16 Def / 220 Spe in tandem with Superpower and Swords Dance. The given Speed investment lets it outspeed Timid maximum Speed Magnezone. A utility set consisting of Bullet Punch, Roost, U-turn, and Defog, Pursuit, or Hidden Power Ice in the last slot can be used if Mega Scizor is needed on a team and not for its sweeping capabilities. It should, however, be noted that it's a very poor Defogger, as it doesn't match up well against a majority of the entry hazard setters and other Defoggers. Pursuit can let Mega Scizor trap Mega Alakazam and Mega Latios, as well as Choice-locked Tapu Lele and Hoopa-U, but there's very little reason to use Pursuit outside of that. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage because this Mega Scizor set is very weak. Alternatively, Hidden Power Fire can be used against Kartana and opposing Mega Scizor. Toxic may be used on Mega Scizor's utility set to cripple common switch-ins like Zapdos and Landorus-T, but Mega Scizor usually lacks the moveslot to fit it in. You can try to outspeed opposing Mega Scizor with this set to potentially 2HKO it before it can recover back its health with Roost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Water-types**: Toxapex is by far the best switch-in to Mega Scizor due to its typing, bulk, and access to Haze. Rotom-W and Keldeo can switch into Mega Scizor, as they fear very little from it and can burn it; they are prone to getting worn down, however. Other Water-types such as Greninja, Mega Swampert, and Gyarados can put Mega Scizor in unfavorable positions. Gyarados can easily take any of Mega Scizor's attacks and use it as bait to set up with Dragon Dance, though Mega Gyarados has to be wary of Curse and U-turn.

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate non-U-turn Mega Scizor if it doesn't use U-turn thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it. Non-Choice Scarf variants should, however, be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.

**Fire-types and Coverage**: Using Heatran is one of the best ways to beat Mega Scizor, courtesy of its typing and bulk. Volcarona and Mega Charizard X and Y are also good switch-ins, as they can OHKO Mega Scizor with their respective STAB moves. Mega Charizard X and Volcarona can also use Mega Scizor as setup bait. Magearna, Mega Latias, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie—Pokemon that Mega Scizor is supposed to check—often run Fire-type coverage moves to defeat it. Tapu Lele deserves a special mention, as it not only tends to run Fire-type coverage but also cancels out Bullet Punch by setting up Psychic Terrain.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Celesteela and Skarmory fear very little from Mega Scizor, except for Knock Off. Celesteela can easily beat Mega Scizor with Flamethrower, while Skarmory takes very little damage from anything Mega Scizor might want to attack it with and can phaze it with Whirlwind.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric resist Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch and can retaliate with Heat Wave, Flamethrower, or Overheat. Mega Manectric is prone to being worn down and Zapdos doesn't want to get hit by Knock Off, which makes it undesirable to consistently switch them into Mega Scizor.

**Special Attackers**: Special attackers such as Tapu Koko and Tornadus-T can pressure Mega Scizor due to its rather lacking Special Defense stat. Tapu Koko can deal heavy damage to Mega Scizor with STAB Thunderbolt and can even OHKO it with a special Gigavolt Havoc. Tornadus-T can deal heavy amounts of damage with Supersonic Skystrike to Mega Scizor, and even Hurricane 2HKOes it after Stealth Rock damage. It should, however, be noted that they are prone to getting overwhelmed by Swords Dance Mega Scizor due to their lack of bulk and resistance.
GP 2/2

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy Jordy

[OVERVIEW]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Curse boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and Defense by one stage, which lets it effectively check Pokemon that can boost their stats as well, like Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Zygarde. Swords Dance is an alternative to Curse that raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages but doesn't boost its Mega Scizor's Defense (although im not the biggest fan of using a Pokemon's name repeatedly, "its" wasn't referring to Mega Scizor but was instead referring to its Attack stat, and its Attack Stat doesn't have a defense stat), which means that it can be rather inconvenient to check Zygarde. Bullet Punch is Mega Scizor's main STAB move and lets it hit Pokemon like Tapu Bulu, Kyurem-B, and Mega Diancie for super effective damage. It's also boosted by Technician and is a priority move, which makes up for Mega Scizor's lack of Speed. Roost lets Mega Scizor stay healthy throughout the match, allowing it to switch in multiple times. Knock Off lets Mega Scizor remove items from, and potentially break past, defensive stops to it such as Celesteela, Toxapex, and Zapdos. U-turn may be used to generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team.

Set Details
========

248 HP EVs, 244 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature allow Mega Scizor to take hits from Pokemon like Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Kyurem-B, giving it an easier time setting up against them. 16 EVs are allocated to Special Defense to avoid a 2HKO from Magearna's +1 Thunderbolt. A spread consisting of 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD and an Impish nature may be used alongside Curse, as they ease it eases (the subject was the spread, which is singular) the matchup against Mega Alakazam and Tapu Lele quite a lot while maintaining its Mega Scizor's ability to check Zygarde. Scizor should immediately Mega Evolve, so forgoing Technician is completely fine because Light Metal has its situational use against Trace users like Mega Alakazam and the rare Low Kick Weavile and Greninja. Scizorite is required for Scizor to Mega Evolve into Mega Scizor.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Zygarde can pressure Fire-, Steel-, and Electric-types like Heatran, Celesteela, and Zapdos, all of which Mega Scizor tends to struggle against. Mega Scizor can heavily pressure Fairy-, Ice-, and Grass-types for Zygarde in return. It's also capable of getting Zygarde a free switch in with U-turn. Toxapex and Gastrodon can take on Fire-, Water-, and Steel-types for Mega Scizor. Gastrodon also takes on a majority of the Electric-types very well. In return, Mega Scizor lays pressure on Grass-types such as Tapu Bulu and Kartana, which can try to take advantage of Toxapex and Gastrodon. Heatran is an excellent teammate because it has an immunity to Fire and appreciates Mega Scizor's ability to take on Ground-types like Zygarde and Mamoswine. Defoggers such as Tornadus-T and Zapdos are great because Mega Scizor may experience trouble checking Zygarde, Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine if entry hazards are on the field. In contrast, Mega Scizor appreciates entry hazards on the opposing side of the field to consistently wear down switch-ins such as Toxapex and Heatran, allowing Mega Scizor it to sweep more easily. Entry hazard setters such as Clefable, Heatran, Ferrothorn, and Greninja are notable partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Magnezone**: Magnezone can easily trap and eliminate non-U-turn Mega Scizor if it doesn't use U-turn thanks to Magnet Pull. Thanks to Magnezone's typing, Bullet Punch also won't do much damage to it. Non-Choice Scarf variants should, however, be wary of faster Mega Scizor with Superpower.

GP 2/2
Implemented and uploading by P Squared's request

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)