Battle Spot Mega Scizor (Singles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
scizor.gif
scizor-mega.gif

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its excellent bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Access to reliable recovery in Roost allows Mega Scizor to not only stay healthy throughout the match but also set up Swords Dance more easily. It can use its Technician-boosted Bullet Punch to easily revenge kill weakened threats, particularly Focus Sash users. Mega Scizor can further support its teammates with utility moves like Knock Off to hinder walls and U-turn to gain momentum on predicted switches. In addition, Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of Gliscor, Ferrothorn, Cresselia, and defensive variants of Landorus-T by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to the popularity of Hidden Power Fire and the presence of several Fire-types capable of checking it. Furthermore, Mega Scizor's mediocre Speed forces it to rely on Bullet Punch to threaten offensive teams, which leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, and Thundurus, and Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of common defensive Pokemon such as Heatran, Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and much easier to revenge kill.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: U-turn / Knock Off / Thief / Superpower
move 4: Roost
item: Scizorite
ability: Technician
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 24 Def / 116 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and lets it clean weakened teams and break through walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is a very strong priority move and Scizor's primary tool for sweeping. The third move can vary depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Knock Off hits Aegislash, which otherwise walls this set, and removes important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite from foes. Thief is an alternative option that allows Scizor to consistently use 90-Base Power Dark-type attack at the cost of being unable to remove items, while Superpower allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage and in some cases KO Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka on switch as well as dent Blaziken. Roost allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor OHKOes Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch and OHKOes Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball and Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and also lets it take a Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini after being hit by Nature's Madness. The EV spread is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor needs to check; 44 Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu, while 148 Special Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with an Adamant nature is a viable option that allows Mega Scizor to OHKO Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon with +2 Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock damage and outspeed Modest Magnezone and Adamant Breloom. The spread also allows it to make faster and more aggressive play in general.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup, and careful decisions must be made in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick off weakened threats with Bullet Punch and set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. It is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn. U-turn generates momentum on switches, so it is a good move to use when the opponent is likely to send in a physical wall or one of Mega Scizor's counters. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-Crystals from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or eliminated. Lastly, be wary of Hidden Power Fire users such as Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as they easily 2HKO Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor because they can switch into Fire-type moves for it and Mega Scizor can take Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or break walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and can provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens foes with Intimidate and uses U-turn to bring Mega Scizor in safely, and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-ins to Pokemon like Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Island Guardians remove Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor to freely use Bullet Punch. Tapu Koko shuts down passive walls with Taunt, threatens Water-types, and brings Mega Scizor in safely with Volt Switch or U-turn. Tapu Fini is a great check to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that also sets Misty Terrain, which blocks Will-O-Wisp and prevents burns from Scald.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another Technician-boosted priority move that hits Fire- and Water-types harder than Bullet Punch, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from U-turn or Knock Off. Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB move that can also take advantage of pinch Berry users such as defensive Landorus-T and Celesteela but does not generate momentum like U-turn does. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper, but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Blaziken, and Heatran force Mega Scizor out and can advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive a boosted Bullet Punch if they haven't taken excessive damage beforehand. However, they do not like losing their items to Knock Off, taking sizable damage from Thief, or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO it with Flamethrower and annoy potential switch-ins with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down variants of Mega Scizor lacking Dark-type attack and forces variants with said moves into mind games due to King's Shield. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Defensive teams commonly run Skarmory, which can beat Mega Scizor thanks to Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic easily take any attack from Mega Scizor and remove its boosts with Haze. Gyarados can use Mega Scizor as a setup fodder due to Intimidate, its typing, and the fact that it carries irremovable items in most instances to take even boosted Dark-type moves. Swampert can take hits from Mega Scizor well thanks to its good bulk and can with force Mega Scizor out with Yawn. Suicune is even harder to take down with brute force and can phaze Mega Scizor with Roar. Pelipper heavily damages Mega Scizor with rain-boosted attacks and easily switches in thanks to its typing. In general, it is risky for Mega Scizor to stay in against Water-types due to a potential burn from Scald.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill Mega Scizor or use it as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. However, Electric-types that do not resist U-turn take notable chunk of damage from it if they are switched in carelessly.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed even by boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and it can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return using Double-Edge or OHKO it after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is similarly advantaged against Mega Scizor and can remove it very easily if using Fire Fang.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'll check this! Note that while this doesn't follow the format we're currently doing for battle spot analyses (We're using a pretty truncated format), I don't think it'd take that much effort to mostly match our current format, or hell I don't really mind leaving it as is since the current battle spot format is just for saving time. No use in wasting a full write-up imo! I would probably break up a few of these paragraphs to avoid walls of text, but that's more of a GP thing. not my area. Anyways, onto the check!

Comments in Bold! Ignore the weird spacing, I'm just doing that so its easier to spot the checks lol

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to excellent natural bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, Kartana, and Mamoswine. I think Kartana is a bit of an iffy mention. You need Superpower to actually KO it (not even U-turn actually 2HKOs), and +2 Kartana 2HKOs Mega Scizor with Sacred Sword. Even worse, Fightinium Z Kartana actually OHKOs Mega Scizor after a boost. Mega Scizor can win 1v1 in some situations, but I don't think its consistent enough to keep Kartana on that list.

Technician-boosted Bullet Punch allows Mega Scizor to pick on weakened threats, especially the ones with Focus Sash, as well as become a setup sweeper with Swords Dance boosts. Access to utility moves such as Knock Off and U-turn allow Mega Scizor to support its teams by hindering walls by ridding their item or catching momentum on predicted switches, respectively, leaving it something worthwhile to do in the event it cannot sweep. Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to reliable recovery in Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of defensive variants of Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Cresselia by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to many Fire-type Pokemon that can easily survive boosted Bullet Punch and dispose of it in response with their STAB moves, such as both formes of Charizard, Blaziken, Heatran, and Rotom-H. Mega Scizor also struggles against foes that it normally can switch in with impunity such as Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur due to the popularity of Hidden Power Fire. Its x4 weakness to Fire is further exploited by Naganadel's Fire Blast and Celesteela's Flamethrower. Mediocre Speed forces Mega Scizor to rely on Bullet Punch to effectively function against offensive teams, and this leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Thundurus-I. In addition Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of defensive roadblocks such as Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex and needs Stealth Rock to meet many important benchmarks. In this aspect team support is needed for Mega Scizor to successfully sweep. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and vulnerable to revenge kill. Despite these flaws, Mega Scizor is a great pick as a Mega Stone user for teams that appreciate durable Steel-type that can stay healthy and need an offensive check that can handle fast frail threats that struggle to take strong Bullet Punch.

I know this is weird coming from me, but I'd probably make this overview more concise, since I think there's a bit of information overload in here. If I were to sum up Mega Scizor succinctly, it'd boil down to these qualities:

-I'd really focus on the combination of its bulk and Roost being a very unique selling point among sweepers. As you say, its great at checking certain threats, and yet its also not easy to KO without a Fire-type attack.

-Obviously we need to keep in the talk about how Bullet Punch really helps Mega Scizor's revenge killing capabilities :P

-I'd cut down on the mentions of how many Pokemon with Fire-type moves smash Scizor, we can leave more of that for the counters section. I'd just say that Fire-types, and Pokemon that commonly run Fire-type moves or Hidden Power Fire are a big problem for Mega Scizor.

-I think you got the main flaws right (the Fire-type weakness, the weak speed tier, and Psychic Terain, but I don't think you need to mention needing Stealth Rock.

[SET]
move 3: Knock Off / U-turn / Superpower I'd personally put U-turn before Knock Off due to it making Mega Scizor more multipurpose
ability: Light Metal I'd slash in Technician. I'll explain why in a bit!

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and let it clean up against weakened teams or break through defensive walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is one of the most powerful priority moves in the metagame that 2HKOes good portion of the threats in the tier that do not resist it. With Swords Dance boosts, the move becomes very threatening for offensive teams to handle. Last sentence seems a bit redundant here.

A third moveslot can be filled depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. Knock Off hits Aegislash which otherwise walls this set while ridding important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage, and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Bug Bite can be opted for if stronger Bug-type STAB move is desired but this comes at a cost of Mega Scizor's inability to pivot of its checks. A big feature that should be mentioned about Bug Bite is that it eats berries, which can be huge against defensive Pokemon with 50% berries that switch into Mega Scizor like Celesteela or Rotom-H.

Superpower is an alternative option that allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka or KO some of them on switch. Roost is a reliable form of recovery that allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats. I'd mention that Superpower hits Blaziken hard too.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor scores OHKO on Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch while taking out Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to survive two Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-T and two Shadow Ball from Mega Gengar while taking Nature's Madness + Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini. EV investment is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor would need to check; 44 EV's on Defense allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu while 148 EV's on Special Defense allow Mega Scizor to escape 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread in 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with Adamant nature is a viable option to maximize Mega Scizor's damage and rip through Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock while outspeeding Modest Magnezone. I'd mention outspeeding Timid Aegislash slower defensive Heatran as well, and outspeeding Breloom so you can break its sash while U-turning out instead of eating a Spore. Make sure you mention that you lose out on a LOT of bulk if you do this though.

Lastly, 20 Speed EV can be added if outspeeding rare Marowak-A is a concern. Light Metal is a preferred ability to have good situational use in taking reduced damage from Grass Knot and Low Kick on the switch. Honestly I don't think Alolan Marowak is relevant enough to mention this anymore. Also, make sure you mention that Light Metal is only going to be relevant on the switch before it Mega Evolves :P

Oh yeah, since Light Metal is really situational, I'd talk about Technician too. Technician can make sense on teams that use two Mega Evolutions. While usually you don't want to stick with Scizor in its base forme, there are some match-ups where this can make sense (such as if you are mainly using Mega Scizor to revenge kill certain threats and really need your other mega evolution for the match).

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup and one must make careful decisions in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely going to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick on weakened threats with Bullet Punch or set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. If the defensive walls the opposing team rely on is too passive to prevent Mega Scizor from setting up, it is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn to set up on them. Mega Evolving early is important for Mega Scizor to gain the bulk to take hits better. I'm actually not sure we need to mention Mega Evolving right away, I feel like that's usually the rule with these kind of Pokemon. It's more important to mention the odd cases where you don't mega evolve right away imo!

One should make careful decisions about what move will Mega Scizor execute. U-turn generates momentum on switches so it is a good move to use when one can anticipate a foe switching to Mega Scizor's counter or a defensive wall. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-crystal from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or have been eliminated. Lastly, be wary of unexpected Hidden Power Fire from the likes of Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as said move easily 2HKOes Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor due to them switching into Fire-type moves while Mega Scizor switches into Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or pick on walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and potentially can provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens a foe with Intimidate and uses U-turn to let Mega Scizor switch in safely and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-in to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor also pairs well with Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Thundurus-T threaten Water-types and bring it in safely with Volt Switch so it can Mega Evolve safely. Tapu Koko especially is a good partner due to it shutting down passive walls with Taunt while replacing Psychic Terrain with Electric Terrain, letting Mega Scizor freely use Bullet Punch.

Personally instead of mentioning Electric type teammates, I'd have a short paragraph on Mega Scizor wants a Tapu to get rid of Psychic Terrain. You got Tapu Koko's selling points right, but I'd also mention Tapu Fini for its Fire-type resist, and Misty Terrain blocking Will-O-Wisp.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another priority move that is boosted by Technician, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from Knock Off or U-turn. While not common, I think it's worth mentioning that Quick Attack's main selling point is hitting Fire- and Water-types harder than Bullet Punch.

Aerial Ace OHKOes Blaziken on the switch and nails Mega Heracross but that's about it. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper as a physical wall but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this role. If the team has another Mega Stone user, Choice Band Scizor with moveset of Bullet Punch / U-turn / Knock Off / Superpower may be used instead. At a cost of inability to switch between moves and significant bulk, Scizor can function as more offensive pivot that has more immediate power and can forgo one of its coverage moves to run Pursuit to trap threats that escape from it or Quick Attack to take more offensive approach as a revenge killer. Scizor can use Swords Dance on base forme but significantly less bulk makes this difficult to function well in practice.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both Mega Charizard formes, Blaziken, and Heatran not only threaten Mega Scizor but force a switch while taking advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive boosted Bullet Punch if they have't taken excessive prior damage. However, most of switch-ins do not like using their items to Knock Off or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO in return with Flamethrower or annoy switch-in with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down Mega Scizor lacking Knock Off. I'd mention that even Knock Off Mega Scizor has to worry about King's Shield halving its Attack stat. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Skarmory from defensive teams prevails against Swords Dance-boosted attacks with Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic resist Bullet Punch and easily take any Attack from Mega Scizor, remove boosts with Haze, and threaten to burn with Scald in return. Gyarados resists every move from Mega Scizor and can use it as a setup fodder. Note that Gyarados, while it can tank Knock Off thanks to Intimidate and usually having a mega stone, doesn't actually resist Knock Off. Also, if we're gonna mention Milotic, I'd mention Swampert, Suicune, and Pelipper as well. Swampert has no recovery, but its pretty good at using Yawn to mess with Mega Scizor. Suicune has to rely on Rest, but it can use Roar to phaze out Mega Scizor, and Scald burns are risky. Pelipper just does a ton of damage in the rain it sets up and it resists Mega Scizor's STABs much like Gyarados.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill or use Mega Scizor as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. Should note that any Electric type that doesn't resist U-turn can take a pretty meaty hit from it.

**Bulky setup sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed by even boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and can 2HKO in return using Double-Edge, or go toe to toe with Mega Scizor in one on one scenario and OHKO it with said move after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is on the upper hand against Mega Scizor in the same scenario in a similar vein and outright takes out Mega Scizor if it has Fire Fang.

I'll check this! Note that while this doesn't follow the format we're currently doing for battle spot analyses (We're using a pretty truncated format), I don't think it'd take that much effort to mostly match our current format, or hell I don't really mind leaving it as is since the current battle spot format is just for saving time. No use in wasting a full write-up imo! I would probably break up a few of these paragraphs to avoid walls of text, but that's more of a GP thing. not my area. Anyways, onto the check!

Comments in Bold! Ignore the weird spacing, I'm just doing that so its easier to spot the checks lol
Implemented. Overview is still quite long but I believe it covers necessary points. I will still diminish if if needed be.

Also I know you guys use shorter analysis template but Mega Manectric analysis next door was using standard formatting and not many analysis are going atm so I thought, might as well use something "official".

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I was going to wait for Theorymon to confirm the check but now that I'm less busy I'll just consider this 1/2 and check it myself now. A lot of the strikethroughs aren't exactly things that are wrong, I just want to try cutting down on extra fluff whenever possible since that's been a concern with analyses lately. This is mostly good otherwise, consider this 2/2 after implementing these changes.
View attachment 100914 View attachment 100916

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to excellent natural bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Access to a reliable recovery in Roost not only allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match but also allows it to set up Swords Dance without letting a foe netting too much damage on it. Technician-boosted Bullet Punch allows Mega Scizor to pick on weakened threats, especially the ones with Focus Sash users. Access to utility moves such as Knock Off and U-turn allow Mega Scizor to support its teams by hindering walls by ridding their item or catching momentum on predicted switches, respectively, leaving it something worthwhile to do in the event it cannot sweep. In addition, Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to reliable recovery in Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of defensive variants of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Cresselia by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to many Fire-type Pokemon that can easily survive boosted Bullet Punch and dispose of it in response with their STAB moves and the popularity of Hidden Power Fire. Mediocre Speed forces Mega Scizor to rely on Bullet Punch to effectively function against offensive teams, and this leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Thundurus-I. In addition Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of common defensive roadblocks such as Heatran, Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and vulnerable to revenge kill. Despite these flaws, Mega Scizor is a great pick as a Mega Stone user for teams that appreciate durable Steel-type that can stay healthy and need an offensive check that can handle fast frail threats that struggle to take strong Bullet Punch.

[SET]
ability: Light Metal / Technician Light Metal isn't worth slashing, just keep Technician for dual Mega scenarios

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and let it clean up against weakened teams or break through defensive walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is one of the most powerful priority moves in the metagame that 2HKOes good portion of the offensive threats in the tier that do not resist it. I feel like this sentence has a lot of fluff, I'd just cut it down and say that Technician Bullet Punch is a very strong priority move and Scizor's primary sweeping tool. A third moveslot can be filled depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. Knock Off hits Aegislash which otherwise walls this set while ridding important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage, and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB move that can also take advantage of pinch berry users such as all Rotom formes, defensive Landorus-T, and Celesteela but does not generate momentum like U-turn does. Bug Bite should be relegated to Other Options Superpower is an alternative option that allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka or KO some of them on switch and dent Blaziken. Roost is a reliable form of recovery that allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats. Quick explanation about Thief since most people think of it, but it actually gets similar usage to Knock Off so it's worth slashing in (currently more usage than it even). This is actually a very useful option in a meta with so many unexpected Z-Move users and having the consistent 90 BP move is a very worthwhile trade for not being able to remove items.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor scores OHKO on Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch while taking out Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to survive two Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-T and two Shadow Ball from Mega Gengar while taking Nature's Madness + Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini. EV investment is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor would need to check; 44 EV's on Defense allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu while 148 EV's on Special Defense allow Mega Scizor to escape 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread in 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with Adamant nature is a viable option to maximize Mega Scizor's damage and rip through Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock while outspeeding Modest Magnezone. The spread also outspeeds Timid Aegislash, defensive Heatran, and Adamant Breloom, letting Mega Scizor break the latter's Focus Sash with U-turn while avoiding Spore. Light Metal has a good situational use in taking reduced damage from Grass Knot and Low Kick on the switch prior to Mega Evolution, while Technician lets Scizor function in an event where two Mega Stone users are present in the team and it would stay on the base forme. Nothing wrong with the first sentence, but for the sake of being concise I'd just add to the previous sentence that being faster lets it play a more aggressive sweeping role.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup and one must make careful decisions in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely going to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick on weakened threats with Bullet Punch or set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. If the defensive walls the opposing team rely on is are too passive to prevent Mega Scizor from setting up, it is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn to set up on them. One should make careful decisions about what move will Mega Scizor execute. This sentence should be a given, doesn't really add anything being mentioned. U-turn generates momentum on switches so it is a good move to use when one can anticipate a foe switching to Mega Scizor's counter or a defensive wall. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-crystal from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or have been eliminated. Lastly, be wary of unexpected Hidden Power Fire from the likes of Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as said move easily 2HKOes Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor due to them switching into Fire-type moves while Mega Scizor switches into Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or pick on walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and potentially can provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens a foe with Intimidate and uses U-turn to let Mega Scizor switch in safely and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-in to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Other Tapu's remove Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor to freely use Bullet Punch. Tapu Koko shuts down passive walls with Taunt, threatens Water-types, and brings in Mega Scizor safely with Volt Switch or U-turn. Tapu Fini is a great check to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that also sets Misty Terrain that blocks Will-O-Wisp and prevents Scald Burn.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another priority move that is boosted by Technician that hits Fire-types and Water-types stronger than Bullet Punch, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from U-turn or Knock Off. Aerial Ace OHKOes Blaziken on the switch and nails Mega Heracross but that's about it. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper as a physical wall but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this defensive role. If the team has another Mega Stone user, Choice Band Scizor with moveset of Bullet Punch / U-turn / Knock Off / Superpower may be used instead. At a cost of inability to switch between moves and significant bulk, Scizor can function as more offensive pivot that has more immediate power and can forgo one of its coverage moves to run Pursuit to trap threats that escape from it or Quick Attack to take more offensive approach as a revenge killer. Scizor can use Swords Dance on base forme but significantly less bulk coming from the fact that it has to run offensive investment for KOes make this difficult to function well in practice. I feel none of these Other Options are actually worth recommending except Quick Attack and Toxic, I'd just remove the rest since this section doesn't need to be long anyway.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both Mega Charizard formes, Blaziken, and Heatran not only threaten Mega Scizor but force a switch while taking advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive boosted Bullet Punch if they have't taken excessive prior damage. However, most of switch-ins do not like using their items to Knock Off or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter. I wouldn't say "most" here since non-Mega Blaziken isn't common and many of those just have a Z-Move anyway. A Thief or Knock Off is definitely hurting pre-Mega Charizard or Heatran though.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO in return with Flamethrower or annoy switch-in with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down Mega Scizor lacking Knock Off or Thief and forces variants with said move into mind games due to King's Shield. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Skarmory from defensive teams prevails against Swords Dance-boosted attacks with Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic resist Bullet Punch and easily take any Attack from Mega Scizor and remove boosts with Haze. Gyarados can use Mega Scizor as a setup fodder due to Intimidate, typing, and the fact that it carries irremovable item in most instances to take even boosted Knock Off Dark-type moves. Swampert can take hits from Mega Scizor well thanks to its good bulk and can end the sweep with Yawn. Suicune is even harder to take down with brute force and can phaze Mega Scizor with Roar. Pellipper Pelipper heavily damages Mega Scizor with rain-boosted attacks and easily switches in thanks to its typing. In general, it is risky for Mega Scizor to stay against Water-types due to the potential burn from Scald.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill or use Mega Scizor as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. However, those that do not resist U-turn take notable chunk of damage from it if they switched in carelessly.

**Bulky setup sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed by even boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and can 2HKO in return using Double-Edge, or go toe to toe with Mega Scizor in one on one scenario and OHKO it with said move after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is on the upper hand against Mega Scizor in a similar vein and outright takes out Mega Scizor if Fire Fang was employed in its moveset.

I was going to wait for Theorymon to confirm the check but now that I'm less busy I'll just consider this 1/2 and check it myself now. A lot of the strikethroughs aren't exactly things that are wrong, I just want to try cutting down on extra fluff whenever possible since that's been a concern with analyses lately. This is mostly good otherwise, consider this 2/2 after implementing these changes.
Implemented, sending this to GP.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Amateur GP Check, Implement what you want ADD REMOVE (COMMENTS)
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to excellent natural bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Access to a reliable recovery in Roost not only allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match but also allows it to set up Swords Dance without letting a foe netting too much damage on it. Technician-boosted Bullet Punch allows Mega Scizor to pick on weakened threats, especially Focus Sash users. Access to utility moves such as Knock Off and U-turn allows Mega Scizor to support its teams by hindering walls by ridding their item or catching momentum on predicted switches, respectively. In addition, Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to reliable recovery in Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of defensive variants of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Cresselia by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to many Fire-type Pokemon that can easily survive boosted Bullet Punch and dispose of it in response with their STAB moves and the popularity of Hidden Power Fire. Mediocre Speed forces Mega Scizor to rely on Bullet Punch to effectively function against offensive teams, and this leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Thundurus-I. In addition(AC), Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of common defensive roadblocks such as Heatran, Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and vulnerable to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and lets it clean up against weakened teams or break through defensive walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is a very strong priority move and Scizor's primary tool for sweeping. A third moveslot can be filled depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage(RC), and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Knock Off hits Aegislash which otherwise walls this set while ridding important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite. Thief is an alternative option that allows Scizor to consistently use a Dark-type attack with a base power of 90 at a cost of an inability to remove items.Superpower is an alternative option that allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka or KO some of them on the switch and dent Blaziken. Roost is a reliable form of recovery that allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor scores OHKO on Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch while taking out Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to survive two Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-T and two Shadow Ball from Mega Gengar while taking Nature's Madness + Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini. EV investment is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor would need to check; 44 EV's on Defense allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu while 148 EV's on Special Defense allow Mega Scizor to escape 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread in 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with Adamant nature is a viable option to maximize Mega Scizor's damage and rip through Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock while outspeeding Modest Magnezone and Adamant Breloom. The spread also allows it to make faster and aggressive play in general.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup and one must make careful decisions in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely going to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick on weakened threats with Bullet Punch or set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. If the defensive walls the opposing team rely on is too passive to prevent Mega Scizor from setting up, it is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn to set up on against them. U-turn generates momentum on switches so it is a good move to use when one can anticipate a foe switching to Mega Scizor's counter or a defensive wall. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-crystal from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or have been eliminated. Lastly, be wary of unexpected Hidden Power Fire from the likes of Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as said move easily 2HKOes Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor due to them switching into Fire-type moves while Mega Scizor switches into Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or pick on walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and potentially can provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens a foe with Intimidate and uses U-turn to let Mega Scizor switch in safely and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-in to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Other Tapu's remove Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor to freely use Bullet Punch. Tapu Koko shuts down passive walls with Taunt, threatens Water-types, and brings in Mega Scizor safely with Volt Switch or U-turn. Tapu Fini is a great check to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that also sets Misty Terrain that blocks Will-O-Wisp and prevents burn from Scald.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another priority move that is boosted by Technician that hits Fire-types and Water-types stronger than Bullet Punch, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from U-turn or Knock Off. Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB move that can also take advantage of pinch berry users such as defensive Landorus-T and Celesteela but does not generate momentum like U-turn does. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper as a physical wall but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this defensive role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both Mega Charizard formes, Blaziken, and Heatran not only threaten Mega Scizor but force a switch while taking advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive boosted Bullet Punch if they have't haven't taken excessive prior damage. However, they do not like using their items to Knock Off, taking sizable damage from Thief, or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO in return with Flamethrower or annoy switch-in with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down Mega Scizor lacking Dark-type attacks and forces variants with said move into mind games due to King's Shield. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Skarmory from defensive teams prevails against Swords Dance-boosted attacks with Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic resist Bullet Punch and easily take any Attack from Mega Scizor and remove boosts with Haze. Gyarados can use Mega Scizor as a setup fodder due to Intimidate, typing, and the fact that it carries an irremovable item in most instances to take even boosted Dark-type moves. Swampert can take hits from Mega Scizor well thanks to its good bulk and can end the sweep with Yawn. Suicune is even harder to take down with brute force and can phaze Mega Scizor with Roar. Pelipper heavily damages Mega Scizor with rain-boosted attacks and easily switches in thanks to its typing. In general, it is risky for Mega Scizor to stay against Water-types due to the potential burn from Scald.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill or use Mega Scizor as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. However, those that do not resist U-turn take a notable chunk of damage from it if they switched in carelessly.

**Bulky setup sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed even by boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and can 2HKO in return using Double-Edge, or go toe to toe with Mega Scizor in one on one scenario and OHKO it with said move after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is on the upper hand against Mega Scizor in a similar vein and outright takes out Mega Scizor if Fire Fang was employed in its moveset.

Last edited:

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
implement all included features
please use spo.ink/gpvideo to implement
amcheck: ADD REMOVE (COMMENTS)
check:
add remove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its excellent natural bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Access to a reliable recovery in Roost not only allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match but also allows it to set up Swords Dance without letting a foe netting too much damage on it more easily. It can use its Technician-boosted Bullet Punch allows Mega Scizor to pick on weakened threats, especially revenge kill weakened threats, particularly Focus Sash users. Access to utility moves such as Knock Off and U-turn allows Mega Scizor to support its teams by hindering walls by ridding their item or catching Mega Scizor can support its teammates with utility moves like Knock Off and U-turn, which hinders walls and gains momentum on predicted switches, respectively. In addition, Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to reliable recovery in Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of defensive variants of Landorus-T, Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Cresselia, (AC) and defensive variants of Landorus-T by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to many Fire-type Pokemon that can easily survive boosted Bullet Punch and dispose of it in response with their STAB moves and the popularity of Hidden Power Fire and the presence of several Fire-types capable of checking it. Mediocre Speed forces Mega Scizor Mega Scizor's mediocre Speed forces it to rely on Bullet Punch to effectively function against threaten offensive teams, and this which leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Thundurus-I. In addition, (AC) Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of common defensive roadblocks Pokemon such as Heatran, Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and vulnerable much easier to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and lets it clean up against weakened teams or and break through defensive walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is a very strong priority move and Scizor's primary tool for sweeping. A sweeping. The (removed double space) third moveslot move can be filled vary depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage, (RC) and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Knock Off hits Aegislash, (AC) which otherwise walls this set while ridding, (AC) and removes important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite from foes. Thief is an alternative option that allows Scizor to consistently use a 90-Base Power Dark-type attack with a base power of 90 at a the cost of an inability being unable to remove items.Superpower items. Superpower is an alternative option that allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage and in some cases KO Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka or KO some of them on the switch and as well as dent Blaziken. Roost is a reliable form of recovery that allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor scores OHKO on OHKOes Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch while taking out and OHKOes Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to survive two Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-T and two Shadow Ball from Mega Gengar while taking Nature's Madness + Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini. EV investment avoid the 2HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball and Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and also lets it take a Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini after being hit by Nature's Madness. The EV spread is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor would need needs to check; 44 EV's on Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu, (AC) while 148 EV's on Special Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to escape avoid the 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread in of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with an Adamant nature is a viable option that allows Mega Scizor to maximize Mega Scizor's damage and rip through OHKO Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon after a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock while outspeeding with +2 Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock damage and outspeed Modest Magnezone and Adamant Breloom. The spread also allows it to make faster and more aggressive play in general.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup, (AC) and one must make careful decisions must be made in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely going to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick on off weakened threats with Bullet Punch or and set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. If the defensive walls the opposing team rely on is too passive to prevent Mega Scizor from setting up, it It is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn to set up on against (this change is completely subjective) them. (redundant) U-turn generates momentum on switches so it is a good move to use when one can anticipate a foe switching to Mega Scizor's counter or a defensive wall the opponent is likely to send in a physical wall or one of Mega Scizor's counters. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-crystal Z-Crystals from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or have been eliminated. Lastly, be wary of unexpected (got QC input for removing this) Hidden Power Fire from the likes of users such as Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as said move easily 2HKOes they easily 2HKO Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor due to them switching because they can switch into Fire-type moves while Mega Scizor switches into for it and Mega Scizor can take Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or pick on break walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and can potentially can provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens a foe foes with Intimidate and uses U-turn to let bring Mega Scizor switch in safely, (AC) and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-in to switch-ins to Pokemon like Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Other Tapu's Island Guardians remove Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor to freely use Bullet Punch. Tapu Koko shuts down passive walls with Taunt, threatens Water-types, and brings in Mega Scizor in safely with Volt Switch or U-turn. Tapu Fini is a great check to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that also sets Misty Terrain that, (AC) which blocks Will-O-Wisp and prevents burn burns from Scald.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]

Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another Technician-boosted priority move that is boosted by Technician that hits Fire-types and Water-types stronger than Bullet Punch, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from U-turn or Knock Off. Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB move that can also take advantage of pinch berry Berry users such as defensive Landorus-T and Celesteela but does not generate momentum like U-turn does. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper as a physical wall, (AC) but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this defensive role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as both Mega Charizard formes, Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Blaziken, and Heatran not only threaten Mega Scizor but force a switch while taking force Mega Scizor out and can advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive a boosted Bullet Punch if they have't haven't taken excessive prior damage beforehand. However, they do not like using losing their items to Knock Off, taking sizable damage from Thief, or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO in return it with Flamethrower or and annoy switch-in potential switch-ins with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down variants of Mega Scizor lacking Dark-type attacks and forces variants with said move moves into mind games due to King's Shield. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Skarmory from defensive teams prevails against Swords Dance-boosted attacks with Defensive teams commonly run Skarmory, which can beat Mega Scizor thanks to Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic resist Bullet Punch and easily take any Attack from Mega Scizor and remove its boosts with Haze. Gyarados can use Mega Scizor as a setup fodder due to Intimidate, Gyarados's typing, and the fact that it carries an irremovable item in most instances to take even boosted Dark-type moves. Swampert can take hits from Mega Scizor well thanks to its good bulk and can end the sweep with force Mega Scizor out with Yawn. Suicune is even harder to take down with brute force and can phaze Mega Scizor with Roar. Pelipper heavily damages Mega Scizor with rain-boosted attacks and easily switches in thanks to its typing. In general, it is risky for Mega Scizor to stay in against Water-types due to the a potential burn from Scald.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill or use Mega Scizor or use it as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. However, those Electric-types that do not resist U-turn take a notable chunk of damage from it if they are switched in carelessly.

**Bulky setup sweepers Setup Sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed even by boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and it can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return using Double-Edge, (RC) or go toe to toe with Mega Scizor in one on one scenario and OHKO it with said move after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is on the upper hand against Mega Scizor in a similar vein and outright takes out Mega Scizor if Fire Fang was employed in its moveset. or OHKO it after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is similarly advantaged against Mega Scizor and can remove it very easily if using Fire Fang.

1/2

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Thanks to its excellent bulk and great defensive typing, Mega Scizor can act as a solid offensive check to threats such as Mimikyu, Mega Metagross, Tapu Bulu, and Mamoswine. Access to reliable recovery in Roost not only allows Mega Scizor to not only stay healthy throughout the match but also allows it to set up Swords Dance more easily. It can use its Technician-boosted Bullet Punch to lly (?) revenge kill weakened threats, particularly Focus Sash users. Mega Scizor can further support its teammates with utility moves like Knock Off to hinder walls and U-turn, which hinders walls and gains to gain momentum on predicted switches, respectively. In addition, Mega Scizor can utilize its bulk, access to Roost, and immunity to Toxic to proactively punish the likes of Gliscor, Ferrothorn, Cresselia, and defensive variants of Landorus-T by using them as setup fodder. However, Mega Scizor's offensive capabilities are limited due to the popularity of Hidden Power Fire and the presence of several Fire-types capable of checking it. Furthermore, Mega Scizor's mediocre Speed forces it to rely on Bullet Punch to threaten offensive teams, which leaves Mega Scizor checked by faster foes such as Mega Salamence, Zapdos, Thundurus-I. In addition, and Thundurus, and Mega Scizor is hard checked by a number of common defensive Pokemon such as Heatran, Celesteela, Zapdos, and Toxapex. Lastly, the prevalence of Tapu Lele is detrimental to Mega Scizor; while Tapu Lele itself can't do much back without Hidden Power Fire, Psychic Terrain prevents Mega Scizor from using Bullet Punch, leaving it unable to sweep and much easier to revenge kill.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Mega Scizor's Attack and lets it clean weakened teams and break through walls with brute force. Bullet Punch, factoring STAB and Technician, is a very strong priority move and Scizor's primary tool for sweeping. The third move can vary depending on what Mega Scizor needs to accomplish. U-turn allows Mega Scizor to pivot out of unfavorable matchups while doing chip damage and is extremely handy to gain momentum on forced switches. Knock Off hits Aegislash, (AC) which otherwise walls this set, (AC) and removes important items such as Leftovers and Eviolite from foes. Thief is an alternative option that allows Scizor to consistently use 90-Base Power Dark-type attack at the cost of being unable to remove items, (comma) while Superpower is an alternative option that allows Mega Scizor to heavily damage and in some cases KO Heatran, Mega Lucario, Magnezone, Kartana, and Stakataka on switch as well as dent Blaziken. Roost is a reliable form of recovery that allows Mega Scizor to stay healthy throughout the match while setting up Swords Dance against passive threats.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread with Adamant nature ensures that Mega Scizor OHKOes Mega Gengar and Naganadel with +2 Bullet Punch and OHKOes Tapu Koko and Volcarona the same way after Stealth Rock damage. Defensively, the spread allows Mega Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball and Adamant Landorus-T's Earthquake and also lets it take a Hydro Pump from offensive Tapu Fini after being hit by Nature's Madness. The EV spread is very flexible depending on which threats Mega Scizor needs to check; 44 Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to take two +2 Shadow Claw from Adamant Mimikyu, while 148 Special Defense EVs allow Mega Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from Timid Choice Specs Tapu Lele's Psychic at a significant cost in power. A straightforward EV spread of 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed with an Adamant nature is a viable option that allows Mega Scizor to OHKO Mega Charizard Y and the rare Blacephalon with +2 Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock damage and outspeed Modest Magnezone and Adamant Breloom. The spread also allows it to make faster and more aggressive play in general.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Scizor's performance is very dependent on the matchup, and careful decisions must be made in Team Preview. It is not a good idea to use Mega Scizor in the first place if a Fire-type from opposing team is likely to be chosen unless the rest of Mega Scizor's team is sufficiently prepared for it. Picking Mega Scizor is a promising idea against offensive teams so that it can pick off weakened threats with Bullet Punch and set up Swords Dance to effectively sweep. It is also a good idea to take advantage of passive walls like defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn. U-turn generates momentum on switches, (AC) so it is a good move to use when the opponent is likely to send in a physical wall or one of Mega Scizor's counters. Knock Off should be used to rid foes like Heatran, Zapdos, and Toxapex of their items while scouting potential Z-Crystals from other switch-ins. Especially against defensive teams, it is not a good idea to mindlessly start setting up Swords Dance until Mega Scizor's checks and counters have been sufficiently weakened or eliminated. Lastly, be wary of Hidden Power Fire users such as Porygon2 and Mega Venusaur, as they easily 2HKO Mega Scizor.

Team Options
========

Dragon-types tend to pair well with Mega Scizor because they can switch into Fire-type moves for it and Mega Scizor can take Dragon-, Fairy-, and Ice-type attacks for them in return. Naganadel and Latios are good partners in this regard. Naganadel can either severely weaken opposing teams with brute force from Nasty Plot-boosted attacks or break walls that Mega Scizor weakens or hinders with Knock Off, while Latios works as a great revenge killer with Choice Scarf, threatens Toxapex, and can potentially provide Mega Scizor better setup opportunities by crippling a wall with Trick. Ground-types like Landorus-T and Garchomp threaten Steel-types and set Stealth Rock for Mega Scizor. Landorus-T in particular weakens foes with Intimidate and uses U-turn to bring Mega Scizor in safely, and physically defensive variants are excellent switch-ins to Pokemon like Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that immensely threaten Mega Scizor. Island Guardians remove Psychic Terrain for Mega Scizor to freely use Bullet Punch. Tapu Koko shuts down passive walls with Taunt, threatens Water-types, and brings Mega Scizor in safely with Volt Switch or U-turn. Tapu Fini is a great check to Mega Charizard X and Blaziken that also sets Misty Terrain, which blocks Will-O-Wisp and prevents burns from Scald.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Quick Attack is another Technician-boosted priority move that hits Fire- and Water-types stronger harder than Bullet Punch, but Mega Scizor mostly prefers the utility from U-turn or Knock Off. Bug Bite is a stronger Bug-type STAB move that can also take advantage of pinch Berry users such as defensive Landorus-T and Celesteela but does not generate momentum like U-turn does. Using Mega Scizor as a defensive pivot by forgoing Swords Dance and running Toxic or Iron Defense looks good on paper, but Skarmory outclasses Mega Scizor in this role.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, Blaziken, and Heatran force Mega Scizor out and can advantage of the free turn. They can also easily survive a boosted Bullet Punch if they haven't taken excessive damage beforehand. However, they do not like losing their items to Knock Off, taking sizable damage from Thief, or losing momentum via U-turn as Mega Scizor switches into their counter.

**Bulky Steel-types**: Some Steel-types are problematic for Mega Scizor to bypass due to their resistance to Bullet Punch and high bulk. Celesteela is a hard stop to any Mega Scizor variant and is able to easily 2HKO it with Flamethrower and annoy potential switch-ins with Leech Seed. Aegislash hopelessly shuts down variants of Mega Scizor lacking Dark-type attack and forces variants with said moves into mind games due to King's Shield. Magnezone only fears Superpower and can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return with Analytic-boosted Thunderbolt or Hidden Power Fire. Defensive teams commonly run Skarmory, which can beat Mega Scizor thanks to Iron Defense.

**Water-types**: Toxapex and Milotic easily take any Attack from Mega Scizor and remove its boosts with Haze. Gyarados can use Mega Scizor as a setup fodder due to Intimidate, Gyarados's its typing, and the fact that it carries irremovable item in most instances to take even boosted Dark-type moves. Swampert can take hits from Mega Scizor well thanks to its good bulk and can with force Mega Scizor out with Yawn. Suicune is even harder to take down with brute force and can phaze Mega Scizor with Roar. Pelipper heavily damages Mega Scizor with rain-boosted attacks and easily switches in thanks to its typing. In general, it is risky for Mega Scizor to stay in against Water-types due to a potential burn from Scald.

**Electric-types**: Zapdos and Mega Manectric have enough bulk to handle boosted Bullet Punch and hit back with Heat Wave and Flamethrower, respectively. All Rotom formes naturally outspeed Mega Scizor and easily take any boosted hit after burning it with Will-O-Wisp. Thundurus-T can easily revenge kill Mega Scizor or use it as setup fodder thanks to its resistance to Bullet Punch. However, Electric-types that do not resist U-turn take notable chunk of damage from it if they are switched in carelessly.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Mega Salamence is relatively unfazed even by boosted Bullet Punch thanks to Intimidate and its great natural bulk, and it can 2HKO Mega Scizor in return using Double-Edge or OHKO it after a Dragon Dance. Mega Mawile is similarly advantaged against Mega Scizor and can remove it very easily if using Fire Fang.

Last edited:
Implemented ^ - "lly" meant easily - it is not what you may think of...

This is now finished! I suppose this can be moved to archive forum with Mega Manectric analysis, and dogknee's Xurkitree analysis can also be moved too since I took it over.

Edit:
Happy late birthday Psynergy, hope you had a good one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)