SM OU Mega Scizor Volt-Turn

View attachment 96730

I've been playing pokemon for a while now, and I've struggled to build a team that fits my playstyle. I've tried rain, hyper offense and even aurora veil. No playstyle, has drew me in as much as volt turn, I just love the momentum that U-Turn and Volt Switch provide. Anyways, enough rambling I'll get in to the team.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 120 Def / 16 SpD / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

View attachment 96735

This was the first addition to the team. I've realized that I'm much more comfortable playing defensively, so I chose Scizor as my mega in order to check Bulu and Kartana. There's not much to say about this pokemon other than the fact that it provides a slow U-Turn for my team. Scizor has also occasionally swept for me when I've weakened threats to him.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

View attachment 96734

After adding Scizor to the team, I realized that I needed some speed on the team and I wanted someone to help form a Volt-Turn core with Scizor. Tapu Koko is equipped with specs to deal Landorus so that I can OHKO him with HP Ice. I've considered running Grass Knot over Dazzling Gleam in order to improve my matchup with Quagsire and Swampert, however I wanted a way to deal damage to Alolan Marowak.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Swords Dance

View attachment 96733

This is my favourite Landorus set, I chose this set for my team in order to nuke something when I force a switch out and Sword Dance I also wanted a way to unexpectedly hurt Tangrowth and Mega-Venusaur without the obvious Scizor U-Turn and Kyurem Ice Beam. I like smack down on the team in order to hit Charizard, Skarmory and Celesteela without using my Z-Move.

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

View attachment 96737

I hate this pokemon. However, I have to admit that it is incredible. Toxapex is my check to all the good Special Attackers in the tier such as Ash Greninja. I chose to run Payapa Berry over Black Sludge as a shaky check to Volcarona Psychic Z-Move. When they hit me with it, I haze Volcarona that have set up.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

View attachment 96738

This is the wildcard of the team. When I constructed this team, I realized I needed defogger, a check to earthquake not called Landorus and a way to consistently burn the powerful physical attackers in the tier. I really appreciate this pokemon on the team to counter Landorus and defog away the rocks he lays. Rotom also provides another slow Volt Switch to the team in order to get in the powerful attackers like Kyurem-B, Landorus and Koko.

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

View attachment 96817

When I first built this team, I had Magearna in this slot. Unfortunately, I constantly would get swept by Zygarde who got a supereffective or neutral hit on everything with Thousand Arrows and who could destroy me if he ever set up DD. I also needed a scarfer on the team so for that reason, I chose Kyurem-B who also deals with my team's slight Lele weakness. I'm open to changes on this pokemon and I've heavily considered running HP Fire over Iron Head on him in order to beat Ferrothorn who destroys this team however I'm reluctant to do so because I feel like I need it to beat Calm Mind Clef.

Wob

I gotta learn how to love without you
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Mafia Champion
edit: nvm ignore this i forgot rocks LOL, maybe try defensive lando w some other scarfer

Hey Jackisajedi! Really cool squad you've got here. I've got a couple of suggestions though.

Your team is pretty vulnerable to Pokemon such as Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, particularly the latter. Koko only has to catch your Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice before being able to just spam Thunderbolt and quickly wear down your team, as nothing really wants to switch in and Kyurem-B and Mega Scizor are unable to revenge kill it reliably without a lot of prior damage. Tapu Lele is less threatening because you have Mega Scizor, but it still isn't a reliable answer due to how common Hidden Power Fire and Fightinium Z variants are. Additionally, offensive Ground-types are somewhat problematic for your team to deal with because although you mention Rotom-W as an answer, it's not actually able to reliably check the two most common Ground-types in Landorus-T and Zygarde because of Smack Down / Rockium Z and Thousand Arrows, respectively.

Changes

My first suggestion would be to switch out Rotom-W for an Assault Vest Magearna. Rotom-W tends to get worn down quickly thanks to its lack of reliable recovery and low HP stat, and you've already got a more reliable Water resist in Toxapex. Assault Vest Magearna gives you a more solid check to Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, as well as synergizing well with the rest of your team with its slow Volt Switch. The set I'm suggesting is Fleur Cannon / Iron Head / Hidden Power Fire / Volt Switch with 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD. Iron Head may seem odd at first, but it's useful for opposing Double Dance Magearna and Calm Mind Clefable. I think the other moves are mostly self-explanatory, but let me know if you're confused.

Next off, I think that Choice Scarf Landorus-T would be an improvement over your current set. While I do like Flyinium Z Landorus-T, with Kyurem-B and Swords Dance Mega Scizor you should be pressuring bulky Grass-types just fine. The spread is 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice / Defog / U-turn. This set gives you a decent answer for Pokemon like Zygarde and offensive Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice. Defog lets you support Kyurem-B now that Rotom-W is gone, and U-turn adds to the VoltTurn core and provides momentum. Choice Scarf Landorus-T is also just nice for providing speed control and revenge killing dangerous Pokemon like Tapu Koko.

Now that you have a different scarfer, running Life Orb over Choice Scarf on Kyurem-B gives you a more reliable way of threatening bulkier builds in combination with your Tapu Koko, as well as allowing you to better pressure bulky Grass-types like Tapu Bulu. I recommend using 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Ice Beam / Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Roost. I've suggested Earth Power here because it helps you wear down Magearna more reliably and hits Heatran, but you can also try Hidden Power Fire instead if Ferrothorn becomes a problem.

Other Options

Rain is somewhat more difficult to deal with now that Rotom-W is gone, as Toxapex is your only Water resist, making Mega Swampert more threatening. Running Grass Knot over Hidden Power Ice on Tapu Koko can make this matchup more workable, at the cost of hitting Landorus-T weaker.

Knock Off over U-turn on Mega Scizor can be used to give you a better matchup versus Choice Band Zygarde, as well as wear down Pokemon such as Celesteela more quickly by removing their Leftovers.

Since you no longer have a Z-Move user, you can try Icium Z over Life Orb on Kyurem-B for a one-time nuke that busts through Pokemon like Ferrothorn, at the cost of consistent overall power.

That's all from me, I'll put an importable of the new team below. Good luck!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Grass Knot

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Last edited:
edit: nvm ignore this i forgot rocks LOL, maybe try defensive lando w some other scarfer

Hey Jackisajedi! Really cool squad you've got here. I've got a couple of suggestions though.

Your team is pretty vulnerable to Pokemon such as Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, particularly the latter. Koko only has to catch your Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice before being able to just spam Thunderbolt and quickly wear down your team, as nothing really wants to switch in and Kyurem-B and Mega Scizor are unable to revenge kill it reliably without a lot of prior damage. Tapu Lele is less threatening because you have Mega Scizor, but it still isn't a reliable answer due to how common Hidden Power Fire and Fightinium Z variants are. Additionally, offensive Ground-types are somewhat problematic for your team to deal with because although you mention Rotom-W as an answer, it's not actually able to reliably check the two most common Ground-types in Landorus-T and Zygarde because of Smack Down / Rockium Z and Thousand Arrows, respectively.

Changes

My first suggestion would be to switch out Rotom-W for an Assault Vest Magearna. Rotom-W tends to get worn down quickly thanks to its lack of reliable recovery and low HP stat, and you've already got a more reliable Water resist in Toxapex. Assault Vest Magearna gives you a more solid check to Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Tapu Koko, as well as synergizing well with the rest of your team with its slow Volt Switch. The set I'm suggesting is Fleur Cannon / Iron Head / Hidden Power Fire / Volt Switch with 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD. Iron Head may seem odd at first, but it's useful for opposing Double Dance Magearna and Calm Mind Clefable. I think the other moves are mostly self-explanatory, but let me know if you're confused.

Next off, I think that Choice Scarf Landorus-T would be an improvement over your current set. While I do like Flyinium Z Landorus-T, with Kyurem-B and Swords Dance Mega Scizor you should be pressuring bulky Grass-types just fine. The spread is 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice / Defog / U-turn. This set gives you a decent answer for Pokemon like Zygarde and offensive Landorus-T with Hidden Power Ice. Defog lets you support Kyurem-B now that Rotom-W is gone, and U-turn adds to the VoltTurn core and provides momentum. Choice Scarf Landorus-T is also just nice for providing speed control and revenge killing dangerous Pokemon like Tapu Koko.

Now that you have a different scarfer, running Life Orb over Choice Scarf on Kyurem-B gives you a more reliable way of threatening bulkier builds in combination with your Tapu Koko, as well as allowing you to better pressure bulky Grass-types like Tapu Bulu. I recommend using 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe with Ice Beam / Earth Power / Fusion Bolt / Roost. I've suggested Earth Power here because it helps you wear down Magearna more reliably and hits Heatran, but you can also try Hidden Power Fire instead if Ferrothorn becomes a problem.

Other Options

Rain is somewhat more difficult to deal with now that Rotom-W is gone, as Toxapex is your only Water resist, making Mega Swampert more threatening. Running Grass Knot over Hidden Power Ice on Tapu Koko can make this matchup more workable, at the cost of hitting Landorus-T weaker.

Knock Off over U-turn on Mega Scizor can be used to give you a better matchup versus Choice Band Zygarde, as well as wear down Pokemon such as Celesteela more quickly by removing their Leftovers.

Since you no longer have a Z-Move user, you can try Icium Z over Life Orb on Kyurem-B for a one-time nuke that busts through Pokemon like Ferrothorn, at the cost of consistent overall power.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Changes

Other Options

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Toxapex @ Payapa Berry
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I'll make sure to test them all, you addressed pretty much all of the issues I was having with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)