SM UU Mega-Slowbro Bulky Offense, minus Komala (peaked #18, 1672)

This team was originally built around Komala, but I subsequently replaced Komala with Sylveon at higher ladder. I do apologise for the initial title though, but then again my ladder rating is already more or less as good as a clickbait of sorts haha. I included Mega-Slowbro in the title, since this team is originally meant to facilitate a late-game sweep with Mega-Slowbro.

Unfortunately, the answer to the title question is no. Komala offense did help to a certain extent, reaching a decent 1400+ Elo in the ladder. With only 2 moves in Last Resort and Sleep Talk (s.o to blunder for his komala youtube video) and a Choice Band, Adamant Komala has the ability to do pretty huge damage to notable bulky Pokemon such as Muk-Alola, Primarina, Chesnaught and Hippowdon, thereby setting up a path for the set-up sweepers to finish their job. Comatose also ensures Komala cannot be status-ed, which is pretty neat. Unfortunately, although using Komala is a lot of fun, a lack of reliable recovery and its complete inability to handle Ghost-types makes Komala easy to exploit and thus unviable in higher level play. It is also rather unreliable against faster threats.

What follows after is a rather simple switch from Komala to Sylveon, which actually synergises very well with its Fairy typing and the ability to provide Wish support. The final result is a super standard bulky offense team that is very fun to use and arguably help me become a better player as this team requires a lot of pivoting around and some predictions to maintain momentum. My GXE of 72%-ish isn’t fantastic since this alt is meant to experiment different quirky playstyles and went on occasional losing streaks. Nonetheless, achieving an Elo of 1600+ still feels pretty good.

This RMT will be divided into four sections: my teambuilding process, descriptions for each Pokemon and the role they play on my final team, threats to this team and some replay analyses. This team was also built during the weather suspect, so I will address how this team combats weather in my description as well. Oh, and I do apologise for the clickbait title, Komala is cool but too bad some wishes don’t come true (no sylveon yet LOL).

This is the first version of my Komala team. Doublade was added to check Fighting types that Komala is weak against, Volcanion to check bulky waters with its ability, Krookodile for its immense utility in blocking Volt Switch and Knock Off, Celebi as a set-up sweeper and in beating stall, and Zeraora for its speed tier, coverage moves and blocking Volt Switch. However, this team has no reliable recovery, save for Volcanion’s leftovers, and is pretty weak to Mega-Sharpedo. This team is also fully grounded and thus vulnerable to Spikes stacking.

Above is the second version, with changes to 4 Pokemon. I wanted to incorporate VoltTurn to bring Komala in safely. Hydreigon, always a good scarfer, has reasonable coverage and synergises well with Doublade. Krookodile is replaced with Hippowdon since I do not want double Dark-types and I still require a Ground-type. Steel-types are still a problem, so Rotom-Heat is used to provide support and momentum, and also replaces Zeraora as an Electric-type. I needed a bulky Water to sponge Scalds and a wincon against stall, so Mega-Slowbro replaces Volcanion.

Komala can only get me so far, and I am still unsettled about this team’s lack of reliable self-recovery and its vulnerability to Dragons and Fighting-types. I then replaced Komala with Sylveon and never look back since. Its defensive typing rounds up the synergy of the entire team and the immense support it provides is very much appreciated.

The Final Team

Importable: https://pokepast.es/5be28df4d7fc6cc0

This team incorporates a bulky offense playstyle. It involves a lot of pivoting around, aiming to keep each member as healthy as possible to sponge opposing attacks while applying constant pressure to the opponent with Stealth Rock and Toxic. Each member also has decent attacking stats to boot, hence ensuring that they do not remain too passive. EV sets and movesets are also super standard, being taken from the Smogondex. Play this team with care and try to get into a favourable position for a Calm Mind sweep with Mega-Slowbro.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Sylveon provide this team a much-needed cleric and a Dark-, Dragon- and Fighting-type check. Max Defense helps it to perform its role efficiently, and its naturally high Sp Def stat makes it no slouch against Special attackers too. Wish enhances longevity of the entire team and Protect serves another useful purpose to pivot around Choice-locked Pokemon like Scizor and Chandelure. It also improves the matchup against Specs Kingdra since you can use Protect first to waste one Rain turn before pivoting around accordingly. Heal Bell to cure mainly Toxic, and Hyper Voice as its main attacking move. Sylveon is also the best cleric choice as Togekiss is weak to Rocks and Blissey is weak against physical attackers and Fighting-types, although its immense Sp Def helps in the matchup against Specs Primarina.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Gyro Ball

Doublade is chosen as its typing provides both great offensive and defensive utility. It is not used so much as a spinblocker since it cannot switch into Starmie and Tentacruel safely, but rather mainly to check physical attackers like Cobalion and non-Knock Off Scizor, force them out and dish out chip damage to facilitate a late-game sweep. Swords Dance makes Doublade a decent late-game sweeper as well, although it is actually harder to set-up in practice if bulky Waters and Steels are not weakened yet. Sometimes I hardly find myself pressing SD. Shadow Claw provides decent chip damage to opposing Pokemon on the switch. Gyro Ball helps in a matchup against faster opponents like Terrakion, Nihilego and Hydreigon switching into it. Shadow Sneak is a good priority move against weakened opponents and Pokemon such as Ghosts and Latias.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Hydreigon is chosen for its coverage and its ability to provide momentum with U-turn. I used Flamethrower over Fire Blast as I am not looking to potentially OHKO Steels, but rather to weaken them enough for its teammates to finish them off. Its accuracy is also much-appreciated. The only caveat is that it is unable to OHKO Mega-Beedrill from full. Choice Scarf helps it get some revenge-kills. It also serves as an emergency check against hyper offense and even rain teams that uses sweepers like Feraligatr and Crawdaunt.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Toxic

Hippowdon’s great bulk and solid defensive typing helps it sponge attacks and checks numerous threats. It is the team’s Stealth Rock setter and helps to wear down foes with Toxic. Toxic provides greater utility than Whirlwind, as this team does not utilise Spikes and honestly getting Hippowdon to sponge a boosted hit before Whirlwind-ing puts immense pressure on it to perform its role of a tank effectively. Leftovers provides passive recovery, which I feel is more useful than Rocky Helmet. Why? Sand Stream already provides residual damage, which is useful at times. This team also focusses on applying constant pressure and chip damage, which makes Rocky Helmet quite unnecessary. Hippowdon is also more of a general wall and not so much of checking specifically physical attackers. It is also worth noting that Sand Stream is important in removing weather, thereby checking mainly Sun sweepers that rely on Chlorophyll to perform a sweep. Try to bring it in when Politoed is asleep. Rain teams usually lack hazard removal, so try to keep Stealth Rock on the field.

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Toxic

Rotom-Heat’s unique defensive typing and an amazing ability in Levitate helps it check common Pokemon such as Scizor, Mamoswine, Mega-Manectric and Moltres. With Defog, Rotom-H functions as an effective means of hazard removal and is able to threaten common hazard setters such as Klefki, Mega Aggron, and Hippowdon with Overheat and Toxic. Its Speed tier is also important particularly against Nidoking, a huge threat. Toxic provides more utility than Pain Split, as Pain Split makes it really passive against Ground-types, not to mention that it already has Wish Support. I prefer Iapapa Berry as it helps to increase Rotom-Heat’s longevity greatly and gives it a second fighting chance. However, its weakness to Stealth Rock means that it is easily pressured in performing its role as a Defogger and thus have to be played carefully so that it does not get weakened too fast. Against Rain, Rotom-Heat has a decent matchup since Volt Switch does at least neutral damage to Water-types and can Defog away Spikes set by Klefki, a common pick in Rain teams. Against Sun, Rotom-Heat can usually Toxic Torkoal and Defog away its Stealth Rock, while making use of Sun-boosted Overheat to do chip damage.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Mega-Slowbro being in RUBL sort of makes it an underrated threat, but a potent one nevertheless. Pre-mega, Regenerator enables it to act as a useful pivot. Scald is its main reliable STAB move, helping it spread burns that are useful against Steels. Psyshock is very useful in winning against CM wars with Pokemon like Suicune and Grass-types like Amoonguss. As a Mega, it helps to sponge Knock Off somewhat especially after Mega-evolution as its Defense is heightened significantly, while threatening a burn in return with Scald. However, its vulnerability to Toxic means that one should not attempt to Mega-evolve and sweep while Toxic setters are still running around. It also means that Slowbro is a good Scald sponge since not only does it resists Scald, it getting burned also ensures immunity to Toxic and thereby helping it to perform its role as a primary wincon more effectively.

Threatlist

This team has absolutely no switch-in to Specs Primarina. Nearly all gets 2HKO by Moonblast, and Rotom-Heat is an unreliable check if Stealth Rock is in the field. I usually try to position myself in a way that when Primarina enters, it faces against Pokemon that can threaten it back with damage such as Rotom-Heat.

Gligar. As this team lacks Knock Off, Gligar can be proved hard to break as it is immune to Volt Switch, Toxic, and Sand Stream. Usually, I try to keep Stealth Rock on the field and pivot around with Slowbro, so that every time it enters it is forced to take up SR damage.

Special Poison-types such as Nihilego and Nidoking are threatening as not only are their coverage moves either neutral or super-effective, they are also immune to Toxic. Slowbro before CM is average at best, while Doublade’s Sp Def still leaves much to be desired despite holding Eviolite.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960993025 (vs Sand Offense)
My main aim is to not allow the opponent to get in Gengar, Toxicroak and Stoutland for free and setup on me. Stoutland looks to be Banded, so some pivoting around Return and Crunch is essential. I lead with Rotom-Heat as it threatens Steelix and is able to Toxic opposing Rotom or Hippowdon. It also outspeeds everyone bar Gengar. I also try to keep Stealth Rock on the field once opposing Rotom is put on a timer. Pivoting around Gengar is also important once I found out that it is Specs. I probably choked at Turn 23, switching to Hydreigon instead of using Protect, since I should have known that my opponent will predict that I switch to Hydriegon and thus use Dazzling Gleam. Opposing Hippowdon learning Yawn also makes things easier since I need not worry about Toxic.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960796270 (vs Balance)
My game plan involves using Toxic as many times as possible to force opposing Sylveon into using Heal Bell and then pivoting from there accordingly. I need to play Rotom-Heat carefully as well since opponent is using Spikes. Turn 8 is important since opponent cannot risk Sucker Punch in case I switch out. Hence, I went for Overheat and killed Bisharp, a huge threat to this team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960534929 (vs Bulky Offense)
Every bit on damage on Empoleon matters. Stealth Rock Empoleon means Krookodile is probably Scarf, so pivot accordingly. Keep Doublade healthy for Mega-Altaria and Crobat. Turn 6 is probably questionable on my part since I let Hippowdon took so much damage.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960518123 (vs Rain)
Do not let Klefki keep its Spikes, so keep Rotom-Heat healthy. Turn 9 is huge since Slowbro avoided a Specs Hydro Pump under Rain. Have to pivot around Kingdra carefully and try to bring Hippowdon in safely and keep it healthy for Sand Stream. Should have switch-out Slowbro on Turn 14 to prevent it from getting Toxic. Turn 33 is also okay for me since I dodged Hydro Pump again, although apart from Protect Sylveon is not that important anymore since it is hard to Wish and is slower than the opponents.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960248009 (vs Bulky Offense)
Just watch out for Gengar. Pivot around Banded Scizor and Scarf Hydreigon, and keep Hippowdon healthy since it checks almost the whole team in general.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960239200 (vs Stall)
Turn 11 is probably my biggest choke, since it is pretty obvious Pyukumuku runs Block and yet I still stayed in with Sylveon, thereby losing my cleric. The best turn is perhaps Turn 79, where Slowbro gets paralysed and thus immune to Toxic, thereby setting up an eventual CM sweep towards victory.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960230818 (vs Mega-Sharpedo offense)
Got lucky on Turn 1. Keep Sylveon healthy for Mega-Sharpedo. Magneton and Hydreigon looks Choiced so pivot around carefully.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960169518 (vs Bulky Offense ft. Seismitoad & Lycanroc-Dusk)
Scouting against Seismitoad is important, since it is safe to assume that it running Knock Off instead of Toxic means Slowbro checks it comfortably. Doublade is important against Scizor, and keep Hippowdon healthy too.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-960127564 (vs Hyper Offense)
Be careful of Nidoking. However, it being physical means I can afford to stay on Turn 8 and do huge damage to it with Gyro Ball.

Komala Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-959765153 (vs Bulky Offense / Balance?)
Turn 30 is important since opponent allowed me to bring in Komala on Blissey safely. No Ghosts means Sleep Talk is pretty free against his team. Him giving me Blissey also means CM is free since Aggron is already weakened significantly.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-959037804 (vs Bulky Offense)
This is a very good matchup for Komala because he has no Ghosts and has a rather slow team. Scizor is a soft check at best and so is Empoleon since it can only click Scald and cannot status it.

Attachments

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Purely in theory to fix the threats you listed (I didn't double check to see if there are other threats besides what you listed).

Sylveon --> Florges

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish / Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Synthesis

This let's you have a real Primarina switch in (you out speed Modest variants and Timid is a rarity now, not appearing on the latest 1760 Glicko stats The sad part is you need Toxic to really crush Primarina which means you can't have Wish to support Doublade. But you can still run Wish and at least you can probably dodge a Hydro by spamming Synthesis or Wish + Protect.
Florges has less physical bulk but that's okay with a Doublade and Hippowdon to support you.

Doublade --> Iron Head > Gyro Ball

You say you use Gyro Ball for Nihilego, Hydreigon, and Terrakion but two of those take a butt load from Iron Head anyways and Iron Head does a bunch to Hydreigon still. Plus you have a fairy for Hydreigon. So yeah, Iron Head does more to Gligar which is important because you can beat Gligar if you get a free SD as they switch in. (in case you didn't know, Gligar are frequently running Relaxed and 9 speed IVs to outslow Scizor nowadays, so Gyro Ball is quite weak vs it. Relaxed is at 5% on the latest stats with others possibly including Relaxed at 40%)

Hippowdon --> more SpD

This might help vs Nidoking and Nihilego although no matter what they still can 2HKO you. So eh. Mons is tough. I suspect no matter what you do you'll be weak to these mons since you use a Fairy but your Ground, Water, and Steel all have only average SpD. You definitely need to change at least 1 mon to have a good mu versus Nihilego/Nidoking but that's a more complicated rate that I would do for you only if you asked.

Gl with your team. Stop using click bait titles though...

Last edited:
Cool team you have here Jirachirite props on using a Pokemon like Komola fairly high on ladder before transitioning. As far as this team goes it does a good job at checking most of the meta but the biggest issue I see is your lack of damage. This team has no wallbreaker and thus has absolutely no way to break past stall, your best hope would be the opponent miss playing massively in this matchup.

Major Changes:

>
: The reason for this suggestion is simply that Krookodile can provide this team with Pursuit support to help remove the Psychic- and Ghost-types like Latias and Gengar that annoy Mega Slowbro, the former being more of a pain. Krookodile helps compress this and the Electric-immunity you want as well as bringing Knock Off support. I would use Crunch solely to revenge kill Latias and Celebi better as this team has means to handle Mega Aero + Moltres, but Stone Edge is still a viable option.

>
: Doublade very much felt like a wasted slot because everything it wants to achieve Mega Slowbro is capable of doing. You don't really need the Fighting immunity on this squad, so the only value it provides is the needed Steel typing. Instead, I suggest using Empoleon, which gives you an answer to stuff like Latias, Suicune, and Primarina. Empoleon will act as your new entry hazard setter. Roar lets it phase out set up Mons like Suicune, Celebi, and Mega Altaria to stop them using it as set up fodder.

>
: As I mentioned in the intro, this team lacked any breaking power outside of Doublade, which doesn't fulfill this role well. Lucario gives you that much-needed breaker. Lucario can break through stall teams with the right support. Lucario can act as another wincon for you I guess, but I also recommend using this because it helps with your Scizor matchup now that I replaced Doublade. Luc also appreciates Krook being able to remove Latias for it.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I made a few changes here to try and support Mega Slowbro better and to patch up some of the issues you had. I'm sure your original team compensated more around Komala as your breaker, as shown by your replays, this just needed to be translated over to the newer version. I hope you give these suggestions a try and well done on your peak once again. I just made a small minor EV adjustment on Rotom-H and Slowbro which I'll explain here. I personally like Slowbro having some Speed to creep Amoonguss to hit with Psyshock, Rotom-H with 248 Spe makes it slower than other Rotom to get a slow pivot off and the SpA lets it OHKO Celebi after SR. Anyways I look forward to future teams you come up with and best of luck on ladder ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)