Metagame Megamons

Jrdn

Not a promise, I'm just gonna call it.
Wasn't even planning on making a post at least until this becomes a ladder....but Blaziken needs to go. Most broken mon in the meta by far. Mega slowbro walls until some goon decides to use Z-Thunderpunch and now you have a better than 50% chance to ohkos from max hp. Delet this mon please

1FDC9FF1-45FC-429A-89F4-4C1F7EA04A45.gif

Salamence-Mega @ Flame Orb
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Roost
- Earthquake

This set is something I had tried out and found it very reliable because you can use facade mence efficiently due to items being an implement to this meta. Recovery also helps with this set as flame orb will take its hp, it’s a fun set and I hope you all will use this set when the meta is out.

6861B37B-9AA6-4215-B3EF-49696E8BD5D3.gif

Lopunny-Mega @ Salac Berry
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Endure
- Flail
- Power Up Punch
- Return

This set isn’t actually my own set, but it is from Sets if you don’t know him already, I just wanted to mention him. Anyways, I found this set really interesting because of how it works with the whole endure flail thing, it baffled me when he had used flail at first because I never knew what it did as a move before so I guess you learn something new everyday. It may not be that reliable as a set, but I do believe it can come in handy it certain situations.

Couldn't you use a special move as coverage? Even uninvested, a Fire Blast still hits harder than EQ
I did want to mention that actually but never did, for last slot you can have either Draco meteor for zygarde and salamence or fire blast for skarmory and celesteela. The reason why I didn’t mention those options were due to players only using teams with only mega Pokémon on their teams, but thank you for noticing those issues involving with the set.

I did want to mention that actually but never did, for last slot you can have either Draco meteor for zygarde and salamence or fire blast for skarmory and celesteela. The reason why I didn’t mention those options were due to players only using teams with only mega Pokémon on their teams, but thank you for noticing those issues involving with the set.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty / Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Roost
- Fire Blast / Draco Meteor

I decided to revise your set a bit; as discussed changed Earthquake into Fire Blast/Draco Meteor. I decided to change Adamant to either Naughty or Naive to buff the special attack a bit as well. I chose a -SpD nature here over -Def because of regular Salamence's Intimidate, but I don't know if that's the right idea.

Naughty / Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Roost
- Fire Blast / Draco Meteor

I decided to revise your set a bit; as discussed changed Earthquake into Fire Blast/Draco Meteor. I decided to change Adamant to either Naughty or Naive to buff the special attack a bit as well. I chose a -SpD nature here over -Def because of regular Salamence's Intimidate, but I don't know if that's the right idea.
Doesnt burn halve your attack?

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
In the plethora of games we've had testing this format already, Mega Blaziken has stood out as something that is definitely unhealthy for the metagame. With its ability to bypass every single Pokémon in the metagame with the right set, the ability to OHKO Pokémon like Primal Groudon, Mega Salamence, Mega Mewtwo X without any boosts using Z-Mirror Move, and the utility of Speed Boost aiding a myriad of Z-move coverage nukes, Mega Blaziken is just too much for the metagame. I've decided to proactively ban Mega Blaziken from holding items in Megamons.

If Megamons wins OMotM March, I'll be keeping an eye on both Mega Mewtwo X and Mega Salamence as both are threats that have been brought up multiple times within the thread and within the Other Metas room on Showdown. I encourage you to post your opinions on both these Pokémon, any other problematic Pokémon you believe there are in the metagame or even any potential sets you've pondered up / used successfully. Teams would also be great as having access to samples on release day would strongly benefit newer players.

Thanks for the continued interest in the metagame; I hope to read all your opinions about the metagame post-Mega Blaziken.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Because my last post was a set that had been discussed twice on the same page I deleted it and now I'm going to post another.

Diancie-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Explosion
- Earth Power / Diamond Storm

This set functions as an incredible anti-lead Pokemon that can essentially guarantee rocks. Magic Bounce enables it to deny opposing hazards and avoid Taunt, while Fairy typing lets it scare out Mega Sableye. Explosion allows it to prevent Defog or Rapid Spin from landing so hazards stay down. I haven't quite worked out what's optimal in the last slot, but I've been running Earth Power. Earth Power enables it to heavily dent Mega Aggron and Pdon. Diamond Storm hits Ho-Oh much better but I haven't run into that in my few games.

The other Pokemon I want to mention is Lunala. I've been running Scarf and it seems really good in this metagame. In addition to what it can normally do in Ubers it checks / revenge kills Mewtwo X, unboosted Salamence, Mega Lucario, and others. Its typing and ability really help it with tanking single hits and living priority, which allow it to play an important role on an offensive team.

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Basic Ubers Scarf Lunala, stolen right from the analysis. Modest nature allows it to just barely outpace base 150s (by one point lol).

Manectric-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Intimidate
Hasty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ice
- Overheat / Flamethrower
- Switcheroo

This is bad but it’s also Megaman so idc. But like, Items are a bigger thing now, so why not just take them away.

Just thought I'd drop some more sets in this format, I'm looking forward to trying it out as a ladder :]

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Expert Belt
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge / Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Ice Fang

Aero is run in standard play with a bunch of coverage moves to exploit opposing defensive typings (especially double weaknesses), so let's just give it a bit more oomph while doing the same thing.

Alakazam-Mega @ Psychium Z
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

+1 Z-Psyshock in terrain does obscene amounts of damage, capable of ohko'ing Mew with Z-STAB alone (yes mew isn't viable but it's just a damage reference point cause goddamn that hurts).

Metagross-Mega @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

Metagross has nice natural power and bulk, capable of reliably checking the likes of Pinsir/Salamence or even trading with fire-less Primal Groudon in a pinch.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest/Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Fairly straightforward, abuse powerful hyper voices and coverage to break through the metagame, especially xerneas checks. Maybe a contender for fairy spam.

Gyarados-Mega @ Normalium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

This thing has been MVP for me in many of my battles. After a Z-Celebrate, it ate special hits like a champ. Lele’s Moonblast only doing ~55% with +1 SpDef. MMX is a hindrance but it can pretty much break Mega Slowbro (with a little luck if you’re not burned by Scald), Pdon (can take a Pblade) and Lugia (R.I.P. Multiscale due to Moldy).

Mega Camerupt under TR is insane in power, with Life Orb boosted Sheer Force make its already hard hitting attacks under TR into stupidly power attacks. Nothing switches into M-Camerupt under TR

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro-Mega: 246-290 (62.4 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 220-261 (53.6 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino-Mega: 216-255 (52.6 - 62.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 238-281 (78.2 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Camerupt-Mega Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 195-230 (64.3 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The problem with Camerupt is that it needs TR to be up in order to sweep effectively. However, with M-Slowbro and M-Audino as new TR setters, Camerupt could definitely become a threat in this meta.

Ok, now for other pokes:

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Normalium Z
Ability: Drough
EVs: 4 SpD / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Celebrate
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Solar Beam / Focus Blast
- Air Slash / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast

Zard Y finally gets boosts!!!!

+1 252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Sableye-Mega in Sun: 306-361 (100.9 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro-Mega: 378-446 (95.9 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Pretty Good, might add more calcs later.

Might add more later

Am I the only one who feels that this metagame would be improved if Ubers were banned? Feels like I run into less interesting mega combinations and more bog standard Ubers teams that just happen to have a life orb or yache berry on Mega Salamence.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
It says Gengar-Mega is banned even when I put it as base Gengar with gengarite?
The metagame is kind of buggy at the moment, hopefully issues such as this will be fixed swiftly.

Am I the only one who feels that this metagame would be improved if Ubers were banned? Feels like I run into less interesting mega combinations and more bog standard Ubers teams that just happen to have a life orb or yache berry on Mega Salamence.
This is quite a different experience from what I've had, the majority of teams, at least higher up on the ladder, run several megas with maybe one or two Uber mons accompanying them. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the metagame however.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Not having Ubers allowed would greatly decrease the number of viable Pokemon in the metagame. I actually have the opposite problem from you, where I don't see people utilizing Pokemon that aren't Megas enough, despite a number of them being extremely viable.

Thought I'd dump a team for people to use given that there's only one other in the thread and it's stall which a lot of people won't like :3
https://pokepast.es/b155a42c28b26d31
Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Zen Headbutt
- Drain Punch / Low Kick

Lunala @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Shield
Modest Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Facade
- Roost
- Iron Defense / Substitute

Diancie-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Explosion
- Earth Power

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 216 HP / 100 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Defog
- Recover

Lucario-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Extreme Speed / Dark Pulse

This isn't anything that special, I've dropped a couple sets from it already in the thread, but it's been working well for me so far.

-Diancie is the lead. It sets rocks and prevents opposing rocks while threatening opposing bouncers. It also puts good offensive pressure on at the beginning of the battle to keep the momentum on your side
-Mewtwo is your main wallbreaker. There are very few Pokemon that can actually switch into Mewtwo-X under rocks, although they do exist. Thunderbolt nabs Slowbro, Ice Beam OHKOs Salamence and hits some other stuff, then there's STABs. Try to scout items on opposing Pokemon like Salamence if you can so you don't get surprised by a scarf.
-Lunala is your main revenge killer and setup check. It really appreciates Diancie keeping rocks off. Don't play recklessly with Lunala as Shadow Shield is a huge boon for it and can often turn the tide of battle. You may have to switch around a bit if the opponent brings a Tyranitar (or other Pursuit trapper).
-Salamence is the sweeper and wincon for the team. I feel that of all the sets on the team this one is the most expendable. It does its job because Salamence is very very good, but other sweepers or sets might do its job just as well or better. I may change this later. Iron Defense was a change suggested by urmomgaelic on PS and I slashed it because it seems neat. Watch out for Foul Play Tyranitar and Ice Beam Slowbro.
-Arceus-Fairy is the main bulk of the team. The EVs are meant to outspeed Mega Lucario and 2HKO Slowbro-Mega (it's not quite reliable with lefties and no rocks but meh). I originally had Will-O-Wisp but it was extremely weak to Pdon in which caused problems.
-Mega Lucario backs up Salamence, Lunala, and Mewtwo by doing all of their jobs. It revenge kills with its excellent speed tier and priority options and wallbreaks with its Adaptability boosted attacks. Dark Pulse is because I really hate Slowbro.

Overall you should almost always lead Diancie, and from there make sure you maintain momentum. The team is a little weak to Rock Polish Pdon, and to Lunala as well (your best bet is your own Lunala). It lacks switchins to a ton of common Pokemon because it's HO.

If you wanted to change the team up a bit you could probably turn it into balance by putting a Stealth Rock Pdon over and tweaking the offensive mons a bit.

Feel free to leave feedback but mostly have fun with the team~

I can see where you’re coming from, but I’ll have to disagree. Sure, seeing Pdon in every team is probably boring, but problem is, there are only a few megas created. If Ubers are banned, none of the OU mons can match the power level of the megas generally, especially when those megas can hold item (they’re not holding item + restricted to 1 per team for a reason). It’d be centralized around a few select megas and you’d have to ban a lot of things to match the power level of OU.

Making it Ubers is the better solution since Ubers can match the general power level of megas + items, making it a more diverse and interesting meta.

Gonna post a few regular Uber sets that are of course still very good.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades

I like double STAB, even if it makes you Mega Mence bait. Boosted Fire Punches will still blow up even a few resists, and Groudon's huge physical bulk and broken-ass AbilityDesolate Land give you no end of opportunities to set up. Offensive Arceus-Ground is notable in that it can OHKO Groudon, but Groudon cannot OHKO back without a boost.

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Lonely Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Poison Jab/Rapid Spin

My pocket Mence check and all-purpose revenge killer. Its U-turn is nowhere near as potent as Beedrill's, but it's significantly faster, and even outspeeds neutral 100s and below at +2. I had Rapid Spin on it originally because I was running a suicide lead, but Geomancy Xerneas is terrifying. Poison Jab won't OHKO anytime soon, but it's doing about half and most of the Pokemon on the team I use Phero won't let Xerneas get a turn of set-up for free. Haven't actually run into one since I made the change, but I'll change it again if I need to.

Last edited:
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades

I like double STAB, even if it makes you Mega Mence bait. Boosted Fire Punches will still blow up even a few resists, and Groudon's huge physical bulk and broken-ass AbilityDesolate Land give you no end of opportunities to set up. Offensive Arceus-Ground is notable in that it can OHKO Groudon, but Groudon cannot OHKO back without a boost.
I would recommend run a bulkier spread, able to eat things like Xerneas' Focus Blast at +2, while being faster than Necrozma-DM without boosts (Mixed Rock Polish, but Atk invested).

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 100 SpD / 156 Spe
Amadant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch / Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Other things I have experiment with:

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog / Toxic
- Judgment
- Recover
- Earth Power / Ice Beam

I'm a big fan of Darkceus in this meta, since it can check a lot of problematic Uber mons for Megabro. 192 EVs on Speed & a Timid Nature allows it to outspeed Jolly/Timid Mega Luke and 1HKO it after a bit of chip damage w/ Epower, while checking the Necrozmas, Lunala and pressuring opposing Megabro. While I use it as one of my teams defogger (the other one is Ho-Oh), Toxic also can be used to further pressure Necrozma-DM/Ultra.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Defog
- Toxic

While Quad Weakness to Rocks really limits Ho-Oh's presence as a Defogger, it's Fire Typing and ability Regenerator allows Ho-Oh to deal with Steel Type Setters like Necrozma. Sacred Fire also put a lot of pressure on common switchins, while Toxic put everything else (like Yveltal, Megabro, Dragon Types, P-Don, etc).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)