Meganium (Update) [QC 0/2]

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/meganium

Notes to take:
1: Removed Flail set because it is much too hard to set up with, and with all the priority attackers in UU, you will just be killed while at 1HP.

2: Added Dual Screens set.

3: Updated the support set.

5: Added Swords Dance set.

[OVERVIEW]
<p> Meganium is outclassed by Venusaur in most areas; however Meganium has a few things going for it that Venusaur lacks. Meganium has better physical bulk than Venusaur, a useful Ground-type resist, Reflect and Light Screen, and Aromatherapy. Most of the advantages that Venusaur has over Meganium are much better movepool, higher Special Attack, better offensive typing, and Sleep Powder. When using Meganium you need to be sure that it isn't an inferior Venusaur. </p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1:Energy Ball
move 2:Aromatherapy
move 3:Synthesis
move 4:Toxic / Leech Seed
Item Leftovers
Nature Bold
Evs 252 HP/ 4 Spe / 252 Def

[Set comments]
<p>This set should show you exactly why you would use Meganium and not Venusaur, it is that high Defense stat and Aromatherapy. Aromatherapy allows you to heal any form of status on your team members, including yourself which is very useful with all the status being spread around in UU. Synthesis gives you a good lifespan, which is important for a supporting pokemon like Meganium. Toxic allows you to poison Milotic to chip away at it's hp, Toxic also allows you to poison Meganium's normal counters when the switch in on you. Leech Seed can be used over Toxic if you want to be able to do something to Registeel and poison types such as Weezing, and Toxicroak. The Speed EVs are to give you just enough Speed to outpace Rock Polish Rhyperior before it uses Rock Polish. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Meganium's most common counters are hard hitting Fire-types, so you want to be sure to have a good switch in to Fire-type attacks. Milotic is the best Defensive team member for Meganium. Milotic has great type coverage with Meganium, while also defeating most of Meganium's counters. Meganium is a great way of luring in Swellow, so a good way to take advantage of this is by using a Pokemon who can set up on Swellow. The best Pokemon to do this with are Rock Polish Rhyperior, Rock Polish Aggron, and Curse Registeel. Heracross is the best counter to this Meganium set. Heracross can switch into Toxic, gain an Attack boost, and proceed to sweep your whole team, especially if it is holding a Choice Scarf. You need to be sure to have a way of countering Heracross when using this Meganium, and some of the best ways of countering Heracross are Intimidate Hitmontop, Nidoqueen, and Weezing. In the first slot Meganium can use Grass Knot over Energy Ball to hit Milotic and Rhyperior for higher base power, but don't expect Rhyperior to be staying in on Meganium. Light Screen cold be useful in there to allow you to both Physical and Special attacks. </p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1:Light Screen
move 2:Reflect
move 3:Energy Ball
move 4:Synthesis / Toxic
Item: Light Clay
Nature Bold
Evs 252 HP / 4 Spe / 252 Def

[Set comments]
Meganiums sturdy base 80/100/100 defense stats make it a great support pokemon, and once it has Reflect, or Light Screen up you wont be taking much from any attack, not even super effective ones. Energy Ball allows you to have an STAB move to attack with, and also makes sure that you are not complete Taunt bait.

Additional comments:
-Aromatherapy can be useful over Synthesis, but if you do so you won't be living as long since this set lacks Leftovers.
-Grass Knot is always a good option over Energy Ball for hitting Milotic harder, but Energy Ball is the better choice since it hits most pokemon in the tier for higher base power.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1:Swords Dance
move 2:Subsitute / Synthesis
move 3:Seed Bomb
move 4:Earthquake / Return
Item Leftovers
Nature Adamant
Evs 252 Hp / 120Atk / 136 Spe

Set comments:
<p>When you first see this Meganium set i know you will be saying "why not just use Venusaur? they both have the exact same Attack and Speed stat and Venusaur has a better physical movepool." But there is a good reason why this Meganium is not completely outclassed by its rival Venusaur; it is because Meganium has that useful ground resist, which Venusaur lacks. Substitute allows you to switch into something you scare out, set up a sub and proceed to use Swords Dance, or attack while sitting safely behind a sub. Synthesis can be useful over Substitute if you find instant recovery to be more useful than blocking status. The choice between Earthquake and Return is a tough one. Earthquake allows you to hit most of Meganium’s most common counters when the switch into you, but Return gives you great type coverage. Earthquake is usually the better choice because it allows you to beat pokemon who would normally defeat you (Houndoom, Registeel, Blaziken, etc.). </p>

Additional Comments:
-Meganium needs Bulky Water type pratners
-Heracross is your biggest counter
-Weezing counters this.
-Aromatherapy over Substitue
-Life Orb over Leftovers
-Return over Substitute

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p> When using Meganium you will need to have a Pokemon on your team that can deal with Heracross, if you don't come prepared for Heracross it will set up on Meganium and sweep your whole team. Hitmontop with Intimidate is a good way of dealing with Heracross, and can use Aeriel Ace which will always kill Heracross. Nidoqueen has good physical bulk, and resists both of Heracross's STAB moves, however Nidoqueen will need to be ready for Facade. Meganium needs bulk Water-types as partners to deal with all the Fire-types running around in the tier. Milotic is the best Water-type for this job; Milotic has the best bulk out of all Water-types in the tier, and is a pure Water-type granting it great type synergy with Meganium.</p>

[OPTION CHANGES]

<p> Meganium could use an effective Subseed set, but it is really outclassed by Venusaur. The only advantage a Subseed Meganium has over Venusaur is ground type resist, and higher Defense. Venusaur does this better due to its access to Sleep Powder and resisting Fight-type attacks, which are very important for a Subseed set. Another thing Meganium could do is a Flail set, however Meganium's Attack stat is too low to pull this off, and with all the priorty attacks in UU you will just be killed while at 1 HP. If you want to use a Flail set, a better option would be Dodrio. Dodrio has both STAB on Flail, and Quick Attack for dealing with priority attackers. One more thing that Meganium could do is a set abusing Counter. Meganium has high enough Defense to pull this off without having to worry about not surviving, and has a way of recovering off the damage it must take in order to use Counter. </p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>When trying to counter Meganium the first Pokemon you should try is Heracross. Heracross is Meganium's biggest counter due to resistance to Meganium's STAB moves, and Guts. If you are using Heracross to counter Meganium Heracross can use a Choice Scarf, or Life Orb over Toxic Orb since you will most likely get poisoned on the switch. Another good way of countering Meganium is with hard hitting fighting Fire-types such as Blaziken, Houndoom, and Arcanine. If you are using Houndoom for countering Meganium you need to be careful because Earthquake will always kill Houndoom after Stealth Rock, and has a pretty good chance to kill Houndoom without Stealth Rock. If Meganium doesn't have Leech Seed, you can use Pokemon immune to Toxic to counter Meganium; good Pokemon to try are Toxicroak, Weezing, and Registeel. Venusaur is also a great counter to Meganium due to immunity to both Leech Seed and Toxic, while also taking hardly any damage from Energy Ball, or Seed Bomb. </p>

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
Just one quick question. When you give the new speed EV's, aren't we sort of fighting a losing battle here?? I mean, eventually someone is going to see this and update the milotic spreads to have move speed EV's to beat meganium (if possible). Isn't this a cycle that is just doomed to keep on repeating itself?? You get what I'm saying, right??

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just one quick question. When you give the new speed EV's, aren't we sort of fighting a losing battle here?? I mean, eventually someone is going to see this and update the milotic spreads to have move speed EV's to beat meganium (if possible). Isn't this a cycle that is just doomed to keep on repeating itself?? You get what I'm saying, right??
Your concern is not new. Here is a thread that tries to address this:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74787

@mitchell whatever: its called speed creep and its stupid. Also, its not like Meganium is threat number 1 to milotic anyway so odds are no, they probably wont be updated to beat this.

-Meganium also is OHKO'd by Swellow, so using a partner who turns Swellow into set up bait, like Rock Polish Agrron, or Rock Polish Rhyperior can be very helpful.
most swellow users i would assume would u-turn instead since it still does a sizeable chuck of damage and allows them to scout for counters so that part isnt entirely accurate, unless the playstyle for swellow has changed drastically.

also you should mention something in the support set about how any grass/poison type completely poops all over it since they dont get affected by leech seed or toxic and take pitiful damage from energy ball and have the option to strike back with a super effective, STAB sludge bomb

probably some more points to be made but im tired/dont want to say anything wrong so ill let uu qcers go over it.

Maybe mention Drapion as a counter to the support set? It takes piss poor damage from energy ball, immune to toxic, and can SD up in your face while you switch or keep EBing it for nothing.

@mitchell: that may be true, but Meganium is far from common enough for Milotic to run enough speed to outspeed it. If this was Venusaur then yes Milotic wold definitely have justification for running speed to outrun it, but its Meg so yeah.

Scrap the speed EVs. They should only be used if a Pokemon can 100% outspeed another pokemon (which is why Milotic runs 8 speed to ALWAYS outspeed Adamant Aggron even f it runs max speed) if we run 20 speed, what if Milo runs 16? Then we would run 28, and this would never stop, as Meganium can never outpace all variants of Bold/Calm Milotic with so few speed EVs...

Analysis should mention the usefulnesses of a pure-Grass typing, by resisting Ground types attacks which Venusaur doesn't?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was going to update Meganium... lol whatever. Consider Seed Bomb as an option for support set STAB (Obviously, use Impish). I remember using him in Raikou era, so that's probably why I prefer Seed Bomb, but there are still plenty of Pokemon who'd love to switch into Meganium and CM up (HI MISMAGIUS). As for Speed, you should definitely have at least 4 Speed EVs so you outspeed Jolly Rhyperior before it gets to Rock Polish up.

On the Support set, I'd also consider putting in Light Screen so Meganium can take hits from both sides of the spectrum.

Also, I've played around with an SD Meganium set, and it is not necessarily completely outclassed by Venusaur (However, it is very close, if QC would like to look into this, this would be nice). Basically, consider Dragonite vs Salamence pre-HG/SS. Meganium's better physical defense can allow it to adopt a bulkier SD set:

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 136 Spe
Nature: Adamant
-Swords Dance
-Substitute / Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Return / Earthquake

Meganium can survive a CB U-Turn from Scyther, which is pretty cool. The Speed EVs are there to outspeed Timid Omastar and roflstomp it before it sets up Spikes or anything like that.

I'd like to also put another set onto the table, although it is pretty damn gimmicky:

Meganium @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP/232 Def/20 Spe
Nature: Impish
-Swords Dance
-Synthesis
-Aromatherapy
-Seed Bomb

Completely useless against offensive teams, but is reasonable against Stall teams without a good win condition, you just SD up, healing whatever you need to.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I completely agree with Shrang about the SD set. I do think that Earthquake should get the primary slash as Registeel and Aracanine are the two biggest switch-ins to Meganium.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Changing the speed Evs seems to make sense so i will change them.

@Sharkz: I mentioned poison types as a counter, and Drapion is a poison type.

@Shrang: I will test out your Swords Dance set, but i think it looks more like it should be in other options, but whatever i will try it out and see how it does.

Edit: Okay i tested out Shrangs Swords Dance set and it did much better than i expected, but the second Swords Dance set just wasn't useful at all when i tested it. I will begin writing up SD Meganium.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Assuming you mean 20 Spe and not 20 SpD, I agree with Yam on the speed EVs, it looks like speed creep if you're just using those 20 Speed EVs to outrun bulky milotic, since then users can start running 16 Speed EVs to outrun this. They should just be added to Defense and 4 given to speed, just enough to outrun RP Rhyperior prior to the speed boosts, like Shrang mentioned. Finally, the EVs should be listed HP / Def / Spe not HP / Spe / Def or even HP / SpD / Def, the way it's currently displayed.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think you should mention Outrage in OC on the Swords Dance set, as it packs plenty of power and very few resists. Don't slash it in though, as Return and EQ are much better.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd recommend running 4 Spe EVs just so you outspeed Jolly Rhyperior before a Rock Polish on the support sets, allowing you to either i) Switch in on RP and take a Megahorn and kill it with a grass move or ii) Take a Megahorn, outspeed and kill it with the Grass move. Minimum speed Meganium ties with Jolly Rhyperior (196 each), so 4 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed it.

I'd recommend running 4 Spe EVs just so you outspeed Jolly Rhyperior before a Rock Polish on the support sets, allowing you to either i) Switch in on RP and take a Megahorn and kill it with a grass move or ii) Take a Megahorn, outspeed and kill it with the Grass move. Minimum speed Meganium ties with Jolly Rhyperior (196 each), so 4 Speed EVs allow you to outspeed it.

This sounds much better than the current spread. I will change it now, thanks!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the love of God, just PM some QC people. Don't bump the topic like that again.

This is your verbal warning The Cicada.

I don't dig Swords Dance at all man... I'd like to see logs of its effectiveness and reasoning on why it deserves use when it lacks speed and power to really be effective. it has issues setting up, especially when considering how many pokemon ko it or switch in (heracross, swellow, moltres, arcanine, scyther, etc etc)

I don't dig Swords Dance at all man... I'd like to see logs of its effectiveness and reasoning on why I would use it over the faster, stronger, and Sleep Powderier Venusaur.

If i am correct, Venusaur and Meganium have the exact same Atk and Speed stat. And the reason to use it over Venusaur is because Magnium gets more oppurtinities to switch in and set up due to that Ground-type resistance, which Venusaur lacks.

Logs
Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
The Shiny Cicada sent out Hariyama (lvl 100 Hariyama ?).
rigor sent out Absol (lvl 100 Absol ?).
Hariyama used Fake Out.
Absol lost 30% of its health.
Absol flinched!
Hariyama was badly poisoned!
---
Absol used Psycho Cut.
It's super effective!
Hariyama lost 69% of its health.
Hariyama used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Absol lost 70% of its health.
rigor's Absol fainted.
Hariyama's defence was lowered.
Hariyama's special defence was lowered.
Hariyama is hurt by poison!
Hariyama lost 6% of its health.
---
rigor switched in Hitmontop (lvl 100 Hitmontop ?).
Double Electric has entered the room.
The Shiny Cicada switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Hitmontop used Fake Out.
It doesn't affect Mismagius...
---
Hitmontop used Bullet Punch.
Mismagius lost 50% of its health.
Hitmontop lost 10% of its health.
Mismagius used Substitute.
Mismagius lost 25% of its health.
Mismagius made a substitute!
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
---
The substitute took damage for Mismagius!
Mismagius's substitute faded!
Mismagius used Shadow Ball.
Hitmontop lost 48% of its health.
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Milotic (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
It's not very effective...
Milotic lost 10% of its health.
Hitmontop lost 10% of its health.
Milotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.
---
rigor switched in Rotom (lvl 100 Rotom).
Milotic used Surf.
Rotom lost 56% of its health.
Milotic restored 4% of its health.
---
Double Electric has left the room.
The Shiny Cicada switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Rotom used Trick.
Rotom obtained Life Orb!
Houndoom obtained Choice Scarf!
---
rigor switched in Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
Houndoom used Dark Pulse.
Arcanine lost 46% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Regirock (lvl 100 Regirock).
Arcanine used Extremespeed.
Regirock lost 7% of its health.
Arcanine lost 10% of its health.
Regirock's leftovers restored its health a little!
Regirock restored 6% of its health.
---
rigor switched in Tangrowth (lvl 100 Tangrowth ?).
Regirock used Thunder Wave.
Tangrowth is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Regirock restored 1% of its health.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Meganium (lvl 100 Meganium ?).
Tangrowth is paralysed! It can't move!
---
Meganium used Substitute.
Meganium lost 25% of its health.
Meganium made a substitute!
Meganium's leftovers restored its health a little!
Meganium restored 6% of its health.
---
Meganium used Swords Dance.
Meganium's attack was sharply raised.
---
Tangrowth used Leaf Storm.
The substitute took damage for Meganium!
Meganium's substitute faded!
Tangrowth's special attack was harshly lowered.
---
Tangrowth used Power Whip.
Tangrowth's attack missed!
---
---
Meganium used Return.
Tangrowth lost 72% of its health.
---
rigor: lol 5 para in 6 turns nice
Meganium used Return.
Tangrowth lost 28% of its health.
rigor's Tangrowth fainted.
---
The Shiny Cicada: lol
rigor switched in Hitmontop (lvl 100 Hitmontop ?).
Hitmontop used Mach Punch.
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Hitmontop lost 32% of its health.
rigor's Hitmontop fainted.
---
rigor switched in Kangaskhan (lvl 100 Kangaskhan ?).
Kangaskhan used Fake Out.
Meganium lost 23% of its health.
Kangaskhan lost 10% of its health.
Meganium flinched!
---
Kangaskhan used Return.
Meganium lost 59% of its health.
Kangaskhan lost 10% of its health.
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Kangaskhan lost 80% of its health.
rigor's Kangaskhan fainted.
---
rigor switched in Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
Arcanine used Extremespeed.
Meganium lost 29% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Meganium fainted.
Arcanine lost 10% of its health.
---
Arcanine used Morning Sun.
Arcanine restored 50% of its health.
Regirock used Thunder Wave.
Arcanine is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Regirock used Rock Slide.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 72% of its health.
Arcanine flinched!
---
Regirock used Rock Slide.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 13% of its health.
rigor's Arcanine fainted.
---
rigor has left the room.
The Shiny Cicada wins!

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
The Shiny Cicada sent out Hariyama (lvl 100 Hariyama ?).
leoplerudon sent out Registeel (lvl 100 Registeel).
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 85% of its health.
Registeel used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Hariyama was badly poisoned!
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 21% of its health.
leoplerudon's Registeel fainted.
---
leoplerudon switched in Ninetales (lvl 100 Ninetales ?).
Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Ninetales used Fire Blast.
Ninetales's attack missed!
---
Ninetales used Energy Ball.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 27% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Ninetales lost 79% of its health.
Ninetales's leftovers restored its health a little!
Ninetales restored 6% of its health.
---
Ninetales used Energy Ball.
It's super effective!
Milotic lost 26% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Ninetales lost 27% of its health.
leoplerudon's Ninetales fainted.
---
leoplerudon switched in Magneton (lvl 100 Magneton).
Pointed stones dug into Regirock.
Regirock lost 12% of its health.
Magneton used Thunderbolt.
Regirock lost 40% of its health.
Regirock is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
Magneton used Substitute.
Magneton lost 25% of its health.
Magneton made a substitute!
Regirock is paralysed! It can't move!
---
Magneton used Magnet Rise.
Magneton became immune to ground attacks!
---
Regirock lost 47% of its health.
---
Regirock lost 24% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Regirock fainted.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Hariyama (lvl 100 Hariyama ?).
Pointed stones dug into Hariyama.
Hariyama lost 61% of its health.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Magneton!
Magneton's substitute faded!
---
Hariyama lost 21% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Hariyama fainted.
Magneton is no longer immune to ground attacks!
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Houndoom (lvl 100 Houndoom ?).
Pointed stones dug into Houndoom.
Houndoom lost 25% of its health.
Houndoom used Fire Blast.
Houndoom's attack missed!
---
Houndoom used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Houndoom lost 75% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Houndoom fainted.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Meganium (lvl 100 Meganium ?).
Pointed stones dug into Meganium.
Meganium lost 12% of its health.
---
Magneton used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
---
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Magneton used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Meganium lost 45% of its health.
---
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
leoplerudon's Magneton fainted.
---
leoplerudon switched in Uxie (lvl 100 Uxie).
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Uxie lost 36% of its health.
Uxie used Toxic.
Meganium was badly poisoned!
Meganium is hurt by poison!
Meganium lost 6% of its health.
Uxie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Uxie restored 6% of its health.
---
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Uxie lost 34% of its health.
Uxie used Thunderbolt.
Meganium lost 9% of its health.
Meganium lost 12% of its health.
Uxie's leftovers restored its health a little!
Uxie restored 6% of its health.
---
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Uxie lost 42% of its health.
leoplerudon's Uxie fainted.
Meganium lost 18% of its health.
---
leoplerudon switched in Ursaring (lvl 100 Ursaring ?).
Meganium used Seed Bomb.
Ursaring lost 100% of its health.
leoplerudon's Ursaring fainted.
Meganium lost 21% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Meganium fainted.
---
leoplerudon switched in Feraligatr (lvl 100 Feraligatr ?).
Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Feraligatr lost 11% of its health.
Feraligatr used Swords Dance.
Feraligatr's attack was sharply raised.
Feraligatr's leftovers restored its health a little!
Feraligatr restored 6% of its health.
---
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Feraligatr lost 12% of its health.
---
Milotic used Rest.
Milotic fell asleep!
Milotic restored 47% of its health.
---
Milotic is fast asleep!
Milotic used Sleep Talk.
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Feraligatr lost 13% of its health.
Feraligatr used Earthquake.
Milotic lost 68% of its health.
---
Milotic is fast asleep!
Milotic used Sleep Talk.
Milotic used Ice Beam.
Feraligatr lost 11% of its health.
Feraligatr used Earthquake.
Milotic lost 39% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Milotic fainted.
---
The Shiny Cicada switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Pointed stones dug into Mismagius.
Mismagius lost 12% of its health.
Feraligatr used Aqua Jet.
Mismagius lost 88% of its health.
The Shiny Cicada's Mismagius fainted.
leoplerudon wins!
leoplerudon has left the room.
The Shiny Cicada: gg

Venusaur also has Sleep Powder and the option of running STAB Sludge Bomb if it wants in order to take out Grass types like Tangrowth. I honestly can't see why I would ever want to use Swords Dance Meganium over Venusaur, especially since Venusaur resists Fighting and is neutral to Bug (Heracross--nuff said)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OK, I'm going to stop the ball here again and say that yes, the Swords Dance set is outclassed by Venusaur, but it is still effective. I'm getting irritated by good sets being shunned simply because they're outclassed. If the set works, it deserves an analysis.

And Meganium also has a higher Defense stat than Venusaur, as well as the Ground resist and a Psychic neutrality, which is useful when facing things like Alakazam. Sure Meganium is weak to Heracross, but Venusaur is still OHKOed by Heracross's Mega Horn too, so that argument is null and void.

Venusaur also has Sleep Powder and the option of running STAB Sludge Bomb if it wants in order to take out Grass types like Tangrowth. I honestly can't see why I would ever want to use Swords Dance Meganium over Venusaur, especially since Venusaur resists Fighting and is neutral to Bug (Heracross--nuff said)

Meganium resists Rhyperiors Earthquake which means it can switch in on it and set up much easier than Venusaur. Nuff said

^However, unlike Venusaur, Meganium can't OHKO Rhyperior without a boost and is OHKO'ed by Megahorn after you've already taken Earthquake damage. So, basically, there's no reason to use this over Venusaur.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)